Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Date: May 9, 2019 16:28

kovach
swimtothemoon
I was surprised there was not an encore last night. By the way, “ Won’t get fooled again” was the acoustic version.

They haven't done encore for many many years. Townshend said it's stupid to walk off stage, stand around for 3 minutes, then come back out.

usually its for the performers to run to the bathroom and get some water

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 9, 2019 16:31

keefriffhard4life
kovach
swimtothemoon
I was surprised there was not an encore last night. By the way, “ Won’t get fooled again” was the acoustic version.

They haven't done encore for many many years. Townshend said it's stupid to walk off stage, stand around for 3 minutes, then come back out.

usually its for the performers to run to the bathroom and get some water

amongst other things possibly....smoking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 10, 2019 16:47

I saw The Who last night in Buffalo. It looked like a sell out. Great show! Go if you get a chance

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 10, 2019 17:12

The Who Live at the Concertgebouw Amsterdam 29 09 1969, new footage, Keith Moon falling from stage: [youtu.be]

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: May 10, 2019 17:35

OH!...just seen some footage on youtube, Townshend in a predictable mood and looks to be phoning it in...stange bloke...for a few eeks full over vigour over the great new album...now this and no news on the new songs...why not finish the album and do a few shows for the fans at afforable prices....sounds familar!!

Date: May 10, 2019 17:50

ukcal
OH!...just seen some footage on youtube, Townshend in a predictable mood and looks to be phoning it in...stange bloke...for a few eeks full over vigour over the great new album...now this and no news on the new songs...why not finish the album and do a few shows for the fans at afforable prices....sounds familar!!

album is completed as far as I heard. label wants to hold it until closer to the xmas holiday season. pete talked about it already and made a sarcastic comment about the label

Posted by: Dougratajczak87 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 17:52

More Hot Rocks
I saw The Who last night in Buffalo. It looked like a sell out. Great show! Go if you get a chance

Did they do acoustic Won't Get Fooled Again?

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: May 10, 2019 18:00

kovach
swimtothemoon

In recent history, they did encores for all the tours from ‘99-‘08. But it has been a while, yes. I prefer the current strategy.

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 10, 2019 18:03

Harry Scull

The Who and BPO team for often-majestic KeyBank Center show

By Jeff Miers May 10, 2019

[buffalonews.com]

Date: May 10, 2019 19:45

Dougratajczak87
More Hot Rocks

Did they do acoustic Won't Get Fooled Again?

Yes; just Roger and Pete on stage.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 10, 2019 19:57

From Forbes I think:

Townshend took that as his cue to lament the addition of orchestra to certain Who cuts, donning his occasional guise as curmudgeon.

“You’ll notice I have a point to make…” he began in response to audience boos, baiting the crowd with a pause for emphasis. “I think it was a s--t idea Roger had,” he continued, giving his opinion of the orchestral concept on opening night of a tour featuring dates booked through October.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 10, 2019 20:18

From my memory bank opening night:

Roger took to the mic to say something, completely unintelligible, and Pete said:
"I don't understand anything that you are saying right now..."

Just after 'Join Together' he explained that it was all too much noise:
"...this was a terriblefucking idea of Roger's..."

Later in the set, Pete pointed out his orchestral sheet music then looking down at a fan in the first few rows said this:
"What thefuck are you laughing at?"

It was ugly.

Wifey LOVES The Who and she left completely dejected.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 10, 2019 20:44

A buddy of mine who won free tickets to the Buffalo show last night told me he walked out after 5 songs. He won nose bleed seats and said that from where he was sitting, the orchestra drowned out everything. According to my friend, Daltrey was trying to sing over the orchestra to bad effect. My buddy said he has never walked out of a concert before.

Date: May 10, 2019 20:48

Sighunt
A buddy of mine who won free tickets to the Buffalo show last night told me he walked out after 5 songs. He won nose bleed seats and said that from where he was sitting, the orchestra drowned out everything. According to my friend, Daltrey was trying to sing over the orchestra to bad effect. My buddy said he has never walked out of a concert before.

The sound was near perfect in the lower bowl were I sat. No problem with the mix of the band and the orchestra.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 10, 2019 21:46

More Hot Rocks
Sighunt

The sound was near perfect in the lower bowl were I sat. No problem with the mix of the band and the orchestra.

Isn't that crazy how that works? Just a difference in seat location can make or break one's perception of a concert...

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 10, 2019 21:46

Zak is playing to a click-track, so that takes out a lot of the rough-n-tumble-ness of it all (ie. the human element).

From the YT clips I saw of opening night, overall, the rambunctious element is subdued, and it's all about keeping in step with the orchestra.

I realize it costs to tour with that many musicians, but when ticket prices are almost double from last tour and the music is neutered, it's hard to get excited about any of it.

Date: May 10, 2019 22:21

Sighunt
More Hot Rocks
Sighunt

Isn't that crazy how that works? Just a difference in seat location can make or break one's perception of a concert...

It can turn out to be a different concert all together 1 section of difference You are right

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: May 10, 2019 22:41

Kurt
From my memory bank opening night:

Roger took to the mic to say something, completely unintelligible, and Pete said:
"I don't understand anything that you are saying right now..."

Just after 'Join Together' he explained that it was all too much noise:
"...this was a terriblefucking idea of Roger's..."

Later in the set, Pete pointed out his orchestral sheet music then looking down at a fan in the first few rows said this:
"What thefuck are you laughing at?"

It was ugly.

Wifey LOVES The Who and she left completely dejected.

Yes this all sounds familiar to me but I think the comment to the fan was meant
to be a joke. It made me laugh anyway. I was in the center of the fourth row
and the sound was okay with the exception of the bass - which was difficult to
hear. I’m sure it varied around the arena.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 11, 2019 03:39

I thought about going, but I decided to pass. My last Who show was the great Quadrophenia tour in 1996 with Billy Idol, Phil Daniels, and the now shamed and incarcerated Gary Glitter.

I was a huge John Entwistle fan and a big part of the Who experience is seeing John on bass whom I considered to be the best ever. He helped to make Pete a great guitarist and their chemistry was flawless. There is no substitute for greatness.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 11, 2019 04:53

The definitive acoustic rendition of "Won't Get Fooled Again" .... by Richie Havens.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: May 11, 2019 05:53

In Buffalo Pete talked about songwriting. Paraphrasing, he said its hard not to write songs that don't sound like Wont Get Fooled Again.
So to get out of the rut. He would play with different tunings on his guitar,
He proceeded to play from low to high the open strings of his J 200.
D - G - D - G - B - C for the crowd.

This is the tuning for Tea And Theater which they preceded to play.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 12, 2019 19:27

Last night at Jiffy Lube Live —-

Roger was the best I ever heard him —-really as good as the 70’s —-that surgery he had years ago really did the trick ! It was an awesome show—-mixture of old live loud guitars on some songs and a local orchestra on some—-played first part of Tommy—-then a mix of hits—-then a part of Quadraphenia
Pete was awesome as usual ---such a great emotional guitarist---even though he says he gets bored ---I don't believe him.

Won't Get Fooled Again was a duo acoustic-----sold out mostly and tons of audience participation that the band appreciated ---they were smiling and talking to each other about how overwhelming the audience was ---3rd show of the tour. Pete says there's a chance they will be back on the East coast in September---with new songs ----but they always say that.

Really they couldn't have put on a better show, Pete remarked how loud the orchestra was, so it was hard to hear the guitars--but then mentioned it was only the 3rd show of the tour. I can't imagine anything better from a band that has such a catalog--mixing instruments where needed, and going back to the band sound when wanted. If you think of going and you pass, you missing a show that only The Who can give you.

Peter Wolf and band played only about 6 or 7 songs, and they were real rock n roll ---his voice was in great shape--5 piece band and the lead singer. Played a blues, and his 2 of his hits, Love Stinks, and Must of Got Lost ---really good, they first show of that tour. Couldn't have had a better night of music, camaraderie, and relaxation.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: May 12, 2019 20:25

Thanks for that review...I was starting to get some negative vibes. They just postponed the June 1st Toronto show to Sept 3rd...NBA playoffs...I'm disappointed but I can wait...

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: May 12, 2019 20:28

smileys with beer

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 12, 2019 22:02

onestep
smileys with beer

Thanks for the review onestep...
glad you got a great show cool smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 12, 2019 22:11

Kurt
onestep
smileys with beer

Thanks for the review onestep...
glad you got a great show cool smiley

Yes, thanks. thumbs up

Date: May 12, 2019 22:33

i really was unsure (because of the orchestra) about getting tickets for the show at msg tomorrow night, and even though i hemmed and hawed, i did. after reading about the opening night of the tour, and how pissed pete was, about the sound, i was hoping that they would drop the orchestra, by the time they got to nyc ... it doesn't look like that will happen. i mean, going to see the bloody @#$%& 'oo and having an orchestra drown out pete's guitar? not really looking forward to it. pete said it was a really bad idea and, of course, he's right. thanks roger.

OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: May 12, 2019 23:04

Pete and Roger at SiriusXM's Town Hall, available now on the SiriusXM app:

The Who talk about their 2019 tour & releasing new music - [youtu.be]

[blog.siriusxm.com]

Date: May 13, 2019 00:16

highgatehillbilly
i really was unsure (because of the orchestra) about getting tickets for the show at msg tomorrow night, and even though i hemmed and hawed, i did. after reading about the opening night of the tour, and how pissed pete was, about the sound, i was hoping that they would drop the orchestra, by the time they got to nyc ... it doesn't look like that will happen. i mean, going to see the bloody @#$%& 'oo and having an orchestra drown out pete's guitar? not really looking forward to it. pete said it was a really bad idea and, of course, he's right. thanks roger.

Again I went to the Buffalo show. There was nothing wrong with the sound. It was a great show. Of course Pete is just being Pete That’s part of what makes the Who tic Get yourself good seats. Not balcony. Everything sound like crap in the balcony most of the time. You don’t have to listen to us. Just go any enjoy yourself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-13 01:26 by More Hot Rocks.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home