Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2019 01:14

BluzDude
Hairball
Eddie Vedder and Kaiser Chiefs special guests....
Kaiser Chiefs used to be great (I Predict a Riot, Ruby, et al)- saw them live about a decade ago, but since then they turned more in to a bubbly soft pop band with their last couple of albums....
Still might be good live, and hope they guest at some of the US shows

I agree, I saw them at Hyde Park opening for the Who in 2015. If you listen or watch their live performances Ricky doesn't sing like he use to. Also, IMHO they are not in a league with bands like Primal Scream or even Kasabian.

The Kaiser Chiefs were always more conventional Rock/Pop (which now has sadly become Pop/Crap) vs. those bands, but they were definitely on that level as far as popularity and success goes - in the UK anyways.
Two reasons for their downfall:

- Their main songwriter (and drummer) Nick Hodgson left the band in 2012.
- Vocalist Ricky Wilson became a judge on The Voice UK in 2013 (similar to Maroon 5's Adam Levine judging on the Voice US).
While Adam Levine/Maroon 5 never had much Rock credibility to begin with, Ricky Wilson did, but he threw most of it away by joining this show imo.

A shame as they used to be a really good band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 01:30 by Hairball.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: January 29, 2019 02:01

Hairball
The Kaiser Chiefs were always more conventional Rock/Pop (which now has sadly become Pop/Crap) vs. those bands, but they were definitely on that level as far as popularity and success goes - in the UK anyways.

- Vocalist Ricky Wilson became a judge on The Voice UK in 2013 (similar to Maroon 5's Adam Levine judging on the Voice US).
While Adam Levine/Maroon 5 never had much Rock credibility to begin with, Ricky Wilson did, but he threw most of it away by joining this show imo.

I think you're being a bit hard on the Kaisers. I agree that the stuff with Hodgson was more to my taste. But Off Our Heads and The Future is Medieval both barely sold, they were fast approaching the fate of other bands who broke through in '05 (I'm mainly thinking of Razorlight). I think it's unfortunate, because there were some very good songs on that last album with Hodgson ("Dead Or In Serious Trouble" remains a favorite of mine). But people didn't really go for it.

So what do you do in an age when guitars no longer sell records or tickets? You can keep playing the same kind of music to an ever smaller crowd (Maximo Park, for instance, has chosen this option), or you can try something different. Taking the The Voice gig and making a couple of more modern sounding records have restored them to prominence - like it or not, it mostly worked (in the UK anyway). So it's hard to blame them. Coldplay's sound has gone through the same thing, incidentally, it just managed to so without the dip in the middle (and started from a slightly poppier place).

I do hate the way every album by everybody sounds like it was produced by Ryan Tedder in the last couple of years. New sounds are fine, but why are we all stuck on this particular one...

Date: January 29, 2019 02:56

tommycharles
Hairball

I think you're being a bit hard on the Kaisers. I agree that the stuff with Hodgson was more to my taste. But Off Our Heads and The Future is Medieval both barely sold, they were fast approaching the fate of other bands who broke through in '05 (I'm mainly thinking of Razorlight). I think it's unfortunate, because there were some very good songs on that last album with Hodgson ("Dead Or In Serious Trouble" remains a favorite of mine). But people didn't really go for it.

So what do you do in an age when guitars no longer sell records or tickets? You can keep playing the same kind of music to an ever smaller crowd (Maximo Park, for instance, has chosen this option), or you can try something different. Taking the The Voice gig and making a couple of more modern sounding records have restored them to prominence - like it or not, it mostly worked (in the UK anyway). So it's hard to blame them. Coldplay's sound has gone through the same thing, incidentally, it just managed to so without the dip in the middle (and started from a slightly poppier place).

I do hate the way every album by everybody sounds like it was produced by Ryan Tedder in the last couple of years. New sounds are fine, but why are we all stuck on this particular one...

I take your word for it tommycharles, and yes I guess you can't blame them for making the changes (though some original fans might say they sold out).
They were never really known in the US in the first place, and whatever changes they made hasn't helped, so glad to see they've restored some prominence in the UK. Anyhow, they sort of fell off my radar anyways - their latest cd was a true stinker imo, and haven't even thought of them for a while until I saw the Who poster with them as guests. Time to dig out the old cd's and revisit their glory years!

Date: January 29, 2019 16:03

Date: January 29, 2019 17:34

Seeing them for the first time in Atlanta.
So stoked!!!

Mike

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: January 30, 2019 12:23

Shocking news - a fan presale that works!

By being online just before Wembley sales opened at 1000 GMT this morning I got two seats in A4 ie the block directly in front of stage at face value (no "dynamic pricing" here)

The way the Who did it was you pre-ordered a copy of their new LP which generated a unique code which you used to buy tickets from Ticketmaster

Easiest ever. Rolling Stones please note.

Date: January 30, 2019 12:28

johnnythunders

By being online just before Wembley sales opened at 1000 GMT this morning I got two seats in A4 ie the block directly in front of stage at face value (no "dynamic pricing" here)

The way the Who did it was you pre-ordered a copy of their new LP which generated a unique code which you used to buy tickets from Ticketmaster

Supposedly, the Stones also planned this ticket bundle. They didn't get the album ready, though...

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 30, 2019 12:33

johnnythunders

What are the ticket prices like ? I live near Swindon so I will almost certainly be there. I don't particularly like Wembley Stadium as a concert venue nor the seats on the pitch setup but it's the Who and I'd like to be there.

Date: January 30, 2019 12:56

grzegorz67
johnnythunders

What are the ticket prices like ? I live near Swindon so I will almost certainly be there. I don't particularly like Wembley Stadium as a concert venue nor the seats on the pitch setup but it's the Who and I'd like to be there.

Cheapest were £78, going up to £212 for best in the house. Not cheap, unless you are comparing to Stones tickets and then they are a bargain!

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: January 30, 2019 13:30

johnnythunders
grzegorz67
johnnythunders

Cheapest were £78, going up to £212 for best in the house. Not cheap, unless you are comparing to Stones tickets and then they are a bargain!

Thanks very for the info. Imho, £212 is ridiculous for the Who. And £78 for seats in the upper tier for any type of event there is beyond daft. I've been up there and the distance to the pitch is laughable.

I will still go, but will await a last gasp price fall. I can get to Wembley at short notice and cheaply. I was last there for Jeff Lynne in June 2017. I parked at Hillingdon Tube station then it's a £1.50 trip along the Metropolitan Line and the job's a good 'un. thumbs up

Date: January 30, 2019 13:35

grzegorz67
johnnythunders
grzegorz67
johnnythunders

Thanks very for the info. Imho, £212 is ridiculous for the Who. And £78 for seats in the upper tier for any type of event there is beyond daft. I've been up there and the distance to the pitch is laughable.

I will still go, but will await a last gasp price fall. I can get to Wembley at short notice and cheaply. I was last there for Jeff Lynne in June 2017. I parked at Hillingdon Tube station then it's a £1.50 trip along the Metropolitan Line and the job's a good 'un. thumbs up

Agree with your strategy on stadium gigs. Think that these days the only tickets worth buying in advance are the really good ones. If you can't get up the front you may as well see what you pick up on the day at greatly reduced prices!

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 5, 2019 21:36

Pete Townshend shares behind-the-scenes look at recording of The Who's new album

William Snyder/Trinifold

The Who officially started recording their new studio album at London's British Grove Studios over the weekend, and guitarist/songwriter Pete Townshend has been documenting the proceedings in a video blog that's he posting on YouTube and TheWho.com .

The first clip begins with Townshend explaining that singer Roger Daltrey "is not with us on this first day, which is kind of sad, but he's off getting himself together, preparing for the year ahead." Townshend adds, "[H]e'll be in to do some vocal work hopefully when he gets back, I think which [will be] about halfway through February."

Later in the video, Pete is shown arriving at the studio and greeting various Who touring members, including his brother, guitarist/backing vocalist Simon Townshend ; drummer Zak Starkey ; and bassist Pino Palladino . Longtime Who and Townshend collaborator Billy Nicholls also is there, as are the new album's producer, Dave Sardy ; Pete's guitar tech, Alan Rogan ; and some engineers.

As the clip goes on, we see Townshend checking out the various guitars he's planning to use on the sessions, and conferring with Sardy.

As the video near its end, Pete explains that he'll be posting footage showing him, Starkey and Palladino working on a new track. He notes, "In the summer last year I produced some tracks, which are the ones that we're working on here."

A second video , also from the first day of recording, shows Starkey perfecting his drum sound for the session. One other clip , from the second day of the proceedings, features Townshend recording acoustic guitar tracks, as well as Zak and Pino working, respectively, on drum and bass parts.

The Who's new album is expected out sometime this year. The band begins a U.S. symphonic tour on May 7 in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

[abcnewsradioonline.com]

Posted by: woody ()
Date: February 5, 2019 22:29

I am glad it worked for you.
i went on it and read about buying the album and getting a code.
I then read the no purchase required option, signed up for that and heard nothing more.
won't get fooled again.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 5, 2019 22:49

Gone are the days when I wan't to see The Who or The Stones at huge stadiums …………especially when it's all seating on the field.

Got such great memories of The Who at Indigo O2 and Royal Albert Hall as well as back in the 70's at Wembley Arena with Keith Moon and The Ox playing.

Still a great band, but ticket prices too high in my opinion ,but if Lucky Dip was available I would consider that option. So glad The Stones have been doing LD for a good many Tours now.

Like the idea of Petes blog on youtube, and would love to see The Stones doing that, but not much chance.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 5, 2019 22:52

bye bye johnny
Pete Townshend shares behind-the-scenes look at recording of The Who's new album

Thanks, bye bye johnny!

Date: February 6, 2019 00:29

Cristiano Radtke
bye bye johnny

Thanks, bye bye johnny!

Yes thanks bye bye johnny - thumbs up - what a cool idea.
Imagine if the Stones were ever to do something like this!

Or something like the Neil Young Archives - at $20 per year subscription with access to archives, presale codes, livestreams, etc.
Millions of people would possibly sign up! I know I would.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 11, 2019 15:16

Just bumped into the "behind the scenes" of the sessions, wow ! We should be so lucky if the Stones shared that kind of stuff with us...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 25, 2019 15:25

The show is still three months away, but right now ticket sales in Detroit appear to be anemic. They're really going to have to dramatically slash those prices ($200 for bad seats?) or risk playing to a mostly empty house.

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-25 15:27 by tatters.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: February 25, 2019 15:33

tatters
The show is still three months away, but right now ticket sales in Detroit appear to be anemic. They're really going to have to dramatically slash those prices ($200 for bad seats?) or risk playing to a mostly empty house.

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

You do wonder with some of these 'Legacy Acts' if it's nearly times up for the inflated ticket prices.
The Stones may have a longer shelf life than their contemporaries (except Macca) but even they could be on borrowed time soon.
Who knows...they might then decide to spend more time in the studio.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 25, 2019 16:42

tatters

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

i looked at some seats that were $100 for pearl jam & foo fighters. the who want $150. they are pretty good seats but sort of far away. baseball stadiums aren't that great for shows IMHO. think i'm going to pass this time on the who. i'm not super interested in seeing them with an orchestra. rather see them as a 5 piece! maybe 6. simon townshend does pretty good on the backing vocals & rhythm guitar. the whole thing just seems sadly bloated.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 25, 2019 22:36

I guess they could always play the "It's Our Farewell Tour!" card that everyone seems to be playing nowadays. The problem with The Who doing that, of course, is that no one would ever believe them.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 26, 2019 00:37

crholmstrom
tatters

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

i looked at some seats that were $100 for pearl jam & foo fighters. the who want $150. they are pretty good seats but sort of far away. baseball stadiums aren't that great for shows IMHO. think i'm going to pass this time on the who. i'm not super interested in seeing them with an orchestra. rather see them as a 5 piece! maybe 6. simon townshend does pretty good on the backing vocals & rhythm guitar. the whole thing just seems sadly bloated.

Well we'll find out soon enough anyway as to the quality of the show, won't we?

plexi

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 26, 2019 10:05

timbernardis
crholmstrom
tatters

[www1.ticketmaster.com]

Well we'll find out soon enough anyway as to the quality of the show, won't we?

plexi

yes. seattle is at end of tour so if reports are good i can change my mind. there will be tapes of shows around by then, too.

Date: February 26, 2019 20:52

I look forward to something different, and am glad they're willing to mix things up.
The idea of a symphony included doesn't seem too farfetched given the intricacies of much of their music, and while the results could end up 'bloated', I have a feeling it will be graceful and elegant.
Of course the Hollywood Bowl has one of the greatest orchestras in the world ( Hollywood Bowl Orchestra), so not sure how well it will go down everywhere else though I doubt there'll be a bunch of sloppy amateurs anywhere.

As Pete described it: "The Who are touring again in 2019. Roger christened this tour Moving On! I love it. It is what both of us want to do.
Move on, with new music, classic Who music, all performed in new and exciting ways. Taking risks, nothing to lose".

Time to move forward, and move on.......thumbs up

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 28, 2019 02:05

The P.E.M. Memorial Scholarship Fund preserves the memories of our three Finneytown friends who lost their lives in Cincinnati, Ohio on that tragic night 39 years ago. Each year, they build up three dreams for Finneytown High School seniors.

Thank you RESLV agency for putting this video together to shine a light on the memorial. www.pemmemorial.org

[twitter.com]

The Who's Roger Daltrey Returns to Cincinnati

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 28, 2019 14:55

DOUG SANDOM 1930-2019

Pete Townshend: "Just heard from his son that Doug, drummer with the early Who, passed away yesterday at the age of 89."

[www.thewho.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 1, 2019 01:06

Looks like a fairly honest tribute to Doug who reached a great old age.
Lovely pic with Roger looking older back then, with more hair and darker in colour as well all those years ago.
He's still an icon of looking great at your age. thumbs up

RIP Doug.

smiling smileyRe: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 1, 2019 13:11

Today is Roger Daltrey Birthday

Re: smiling smileyRe: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 1, 2019 15:12

A very happy birthday to the Guv'Nor

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 1, 2019 18:46

Cristiano Radtke
The P.E.M. Memorial Scholarship Fund preserves the memories of our three Finneytown friends who lost their lives in Cincinnati, Ohio on that tragic night 39 years ago. Each year, they build up three dreams for Finneytown High School seniors.

Thank you RESLV agency for putting this video together to shine a light on the memorial. www.pemmemorial.org

[twitter.com]

The Who's Roger Daltrey Returns to Cincinnati

It was awful. Far worse than Altamont .
The victims families received compensation...did The Who have to pay up or was it the Promoters and Venue only?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4748495051525354555657...LastNext
Current Page: 52 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home