Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 19, 2019 04:44

The Who play arenas. They'll fill it up somehow. I'd be more surprised if they played smaller venues. Just on the name alone you'll eventually drum up enough people.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 19, 2019 05:15

ab
Yeah, the venues for this Who tour seem a bit oversized for what they'll draw. They're playing Jiffy Lube Live in Bristol, VA, which holds about 15k in the pavilion and another 10k on the lawn. When they played there in 2000, the place wasn't even half full. Do they really think the orchestra will drive up demand that much?

I don't think people realized how great they were in 2000 (I didn't until I heard them at concert for NYC 2001). It was easily the best post-Moon tour with a stripped down band and Pete was on fire with his extended soloing on many tunes. They also delved deep into the catalog, pulling out gems like 'Relay', 'I Don't Even Know Myself', and 'Naked Eye' among others.

When the Ox died, there was no chance of getting back to that, good as they still are.

This show stands as a testament from that tour:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: January 19, 2019 05:39

[www.youtube.com]

The Who - Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 (1080p)

not too bad a show

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 19, 2019 06:08

mosthigh
ab
Yeah, the venues for this Who tour seem a bit oversized for what they'll draw. They're playing Jiffy Lube Live in Bristol, VA, which holds about 15k in the pavilion and another 10k on the lawn. When they played there in 2000, the place wasn't even half full. Do they really think the orchestra will drive up demand that much?

I don't think people realized how great they were in 2000 (I didn't until I heard them at concert for NYC 2001). It was easily the best post-Moon tour with a stripped down band and Pete was on fire with his extended soloing on many tunes. They also delved deep into the catalog, pulling out gems like 'Relay', 'I Don't Even Know Myself', and 'Naked Eye' among others.

When the Ox died, there was no chance of getting back to that, good as they still are.

This show stands as a testament from that tour:

[www.youtube.com]

I saw an amazing show in 2000 @ the Gorge in Washington. Pete was on fire & totally into it. They played over 2.5 hours & Pete wanted to keep going but Roger put a stop to it. The next time they played there it was the first date with Pino Palladino after John passed. Was the only time I saw Pete absolutely destroy a guitar in anger. I think that everything caught up with him as it was only a week or 2 after John died.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 19, 2019 07:12

Yes, the 2000 Who was brilliant. No more big band. Just a five-piece that restored the glory of The 'Oo. The show I saw that year was the best Who show since 1979, Kenney Jones's first year. Too bad that lineup didn't last.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 20, 2019 07:47

That Royal Albert Hall CD/DVD from their 2000 tour is and has always been an incredible and underrated live document. Yeah yeah, I know its almost silly to be saying that about a live album from a band that essentially died in 1978, but 2000 Who were really @#$%& good. Pete kills it, Roger is excellent, and the Ox is in such good form it makes his untimely death so soon after even worse. If you can't hear how good that is, I truly think you need to get a hearing test.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: January 20, 2019 12:05

Check out the live album "The blues to the Bush", it's recorded over five small shows the year before the Albert hall gig and is again brilliant. There is also a great set from Las Vegas on DVD from that period!

Date: January 20, 2019 12:20

I must say that the last time I saw them 2 years ago they were excellent. Not quite up to the standards of the 2000 tour but it was a great show. I may end up going but will wait until much closer to the show before I really think of it. October is a long ways away for me.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 20, 2019 20:27

They restored my faith at the Desert Trip shows- truly astounding sets both musically and visually, and that's the reason I want to see them again.
Prior to that, the last time I saw them was in 2007 at Long Beach Arena, and it was a very poor show - based on that I would have never bothered to see them again - which I didn't - until the explosive sets at Desert Trip!
Not sure how the symphony will be incorporated, but the Hollywood Bowl is know for having the best orchestras!

Meanwhile, a new lengthy interview with Roger Daltry from the L.A. Times:

Roger Daltrey on swagger and sensitivity, the new Who tour, plus the Beatles question

In 2015, Roger Daltrey nearly died from viral meningitis. When he recovered, the lead singer of The Who went back on the road, but he also decided it was time to “get this bloody thing finished” — the thing being his memoir, “Thanks a Lot Mr Kibblewhite,” published in October.

The memoir was praised in reviews as "one of the best rock memoirs in recent memory," for being "witty" and even for having "meaning," above and beyond the usual tell-all. Meanwhile, Daltrey has done what he always does. He’s gotten back to work — in the studio with Pete Townshend to record the first new Who album in 13 years and on the stage at age 74 for a new Who tour set to begin in May.

The book perfectly captures Daltrey's voice — his humor, his defiance and his blunt assessment of himself and others — but it also shows a forgiving side to the feisty icon, even to people who wronged him, including former managers Chris Stamp and Kit Lambert.

Daltrey captures what the rock life meant for him and why he stayed off drugs and pushed his bandmates in The Who — one of the greatest but also most dysfunctional of all rock bands — to clean up and work harder. (He was sometimes violent and not always successful in this approach.)

There are plenty of great behind-the-scenes stories, but this is not an “And in this recording session ...” memoir. “It's not just a series of events,” Daltrey says. “It's what I went through emotionally, while these events were happening, and what I tried to do as an artist and a singer.”

In other words, on the cusp of taking the stage once more with his musical sparring partner, Daltrey's memoir strives to answer Pete Townshend’s most famous question: Who are you?
Pete Townshend's memoir, “Who I Am,” is well over 500 pages, while yours clocks in at less than 250. Was that contrast conscious or is this direct and to-the-point approach a reflection of who you are?

The book reflects who I am. It's about me and my personality. It's not a book about The Who; it's my journey. Some of it is about how I dealt with the problems that were thrown up by the band. Who fans are disappointed because I don't talk about music enough, but talking about music that much is ... dull as dishwater.

I didn't want to do the sex, drugs and rock ’n’ roll book, because once you've been to one party and done a load of drugs — which I didn't do anyway — well, those books can be kind of empty in a way. And how much sex can you talk about? It's just dull. I didn't … anybody famous.

Your persona was often one of bulletproof swagger — and we do see you punch out Keith Moon and Pete Townshend on different occasions. Still, you come across as more sensitive and vulnerable. Did you want your fans to see you in a different light?

I'm just being honest. And I am sensitive. That's why I'm a great singer. To be a great singer you have to have empathy with the words you're singing, and you can't do that unless you're incredibly sensitive. Although I'm also someone who fights back ... which is why there were a few years there early on where I could have gone completely the wrong way.

Pete is often described as rock's intellectual, but you're also a bit of a polymath. The book touches on this — at one point you quote a paper on “Effects of Group Singing and Performance for Marginalised and Middle-Class Singers” — but you have a lot of interests that barely get touched on. Why didn't you get into those sides of you more?

I have done so many things in my life. In between tours I wasn't a sitting-down person. So I built lakes from nothing, with a couple of bulldozers that were always breaking down. We spent so much time thrashing about in mud. We had four fish farms. I became a trout farmer, and then I got interested in the science of it and in cleaning up the rivers. There's been so much bad practice going on in the rivers of England. I did that for 20 years. I really learned about it, and we got salmon back in the Thames. There are all kinds of things like that which I'm very proud of. But it can be very dull talking about fish. No one gives a … about the fish.

Were there any great stories you cut?

There are so many anecdotes, but most of them are out there. You can go on forever giving Keith Moon stories. I didn't want to do that.

Your relationship with Keith was often fraught. In the book, looking back, you see his tales of destruction as less humorous and more tragic, including the time he accidentally ran over and killed his bodyguard when he was trying to flee a crowd. Are Who fans open to rethinking the myths they cherish?

Fans want to hear what they want to hear, and I don't really give a … . This is my perspective. Keith was, in a lot of ways, incredibly tragic. After we had the fight in Denmark [over Moon's drugged-out performance onstage] we were very distant for two or three years. But toward the end I was one of the closest ones to him. Heather, my wife, and I were the last ones picking up the phone at 4 in the morning to a crying Keith Moon on the other end.

You recount some difficult times with John Entwistle. While you call him a “genius,” you also say his rampant ego meant he played too loud for you and Pete. Was he harder to get close to?

Yes. We called John “The Ox,” and it was an apt name because he was so stubborn. You couldn't have changed one bit about John Entwistle. He was going to be a rock star and live like a rock star even if he didn't have the money. Hence we were always bailing him out.

Do you take satisfaction from the fact that after years of friction you and Pete have gotten closer as you've gotten older?

It's a strange relationship. We're not close like buddies that go out. It's kind of like a family thing, like brothers. Although I've never had a brother. But maybe it's not like that. It's something really special. Maybe there's not a word for what our relationship is.

Has Pete read the book?

I don't know. I haven't read his book. [He laughs heartily.]

Really, I deliberately don't read anything written about me, and I didn't want to read anything he might have written that would get in my head.

What’s next?

My biggest plan is to get a Keith Moon film started. It's very difficult because I don't want to make a biopic. I want to make a great film. They all seem to fall into the same trap, except for the Brian Wilson one, “Love and Mercy,” which was great. We'll be working on a new script. I'll get there; I've got the vision of what I want it to be.

I'm also going to release a live album of my “Tommy” show that I just did with an orchestra, for the 50th anniversary of “Tommy.” This is the way “Tommy” should have always been played — with orchestrations and with the band.

One mistake rock bands make is when they just have orchestras playing “pads,” as I call them, music that could be played on a synthesizer. This “Tommy” has properly arranged orchestral, percussive pieces that stand up on their own. There's nothing schmaltzy in there.

Another mistake people make is taking the rock out. When Pete did “Quadrophenia” with an orchestra but without the rock band, well, taking the rock out of “Quadrophenia” was, to me, an anathema. It didn't make sense.

But you put the two together, it becomes huge. I was really bowled over by it. It's triumphant.

Since we last spoke, you’ve confirmed a new album and tour with the Who. How will this tour be different? You’ve mentioned that Pete was less interested in deep cuts like “A Quick One” that diehard fans love seeing live.

He’s coming around to it now because we’ve done all the other stuff. In my solo shows I’ve done “How Many Friends,” “Dreaming from the Waist,” “Athena,” and other songs the Who never really played. Pete won’t do “Blue, Red and Grey,” but I love it and I’ll do it. We’re talking now and coming up with ideas.

The Who still has its vocalist and guitar player. There’s another old band that still has a bassist and a drummer. Would you ever take a foursome out on the road with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, doing songs like “Can’t Explain” and “I Saw Her Standing There”?

[Laughs] I’m going to see Paul soon, but I don’t think that would work. I don’t think you could mix our music and the Beatles’ music.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-20 20:28 by Hairball.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 20, 2019 20:57

"My biggest plan is to get a Keith Moon film started."

Me, even as somebody only liking an odd song by Queen, was very impressed by Bohemian Rhapsody. I would appreciate that idea very much. Any title suggestions?! We won't get fools like Keith Moon again?!

Date: January 20, 2019 21:49

JJHMick
"My biggest plan is to get a Keith Moon film started."

Me, even as somebody only liking an odd song by Queen, was very impressed by Bohemian Rhapsody. I would appreciate that idea very much. Any title suggestions?! We won't get fools like Keith Moon again?!

Grandpa Needs His Meds (from interview with Ringo in "The Kids Are Alright")

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 21, 2019 08:05

SimonN
timbernardis
SimonN
timbernardis
what time do tix go on sale on friday?

And to Mister DDDD and ALL OF YOU: the Who is as great a live band as the Stones, period. The single greatest concert by ANY band I have ever seen was the Who at Winterland (capacity 5,400) in San Francisco March 1976. It just took my breath away, so powerful, incredible, indescribable, beyond words ...

plexi

Hi Tim,

I know that jealousy and envy aren't to be encouraged, but @#$%& hell- that must have been some show, hah-hah!
This unreal shot by Mike Zagaris is one of my favourite captures by any photographer, anytime...

Wow...

Cheers,

Simon.

It truly was. And I had just seen my first Stones show a few months before in July 75 at the Cow Palace, also in San Fran. At the Who show, legendary promoter Bill Graham introduced them as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Yeah, that is a great foto. Tell me about the photographer. This foto was recently posted on the Facebook on the Winterland Memories group. There were two shows and I believe I was at the first. You had to obtain tickets via a lottery that you had to mail in an entry for two tickets, limit. The demand was HUGE and I just plain and simple got lucky.

Oh and BTW, this was the Who with all four original members, not the 2002 version.

R u the Simon who I met at the Pilot in 07 and at the O2 itself in 08, the latter by sheer happenstance and out of nowhere??

plexi

Hi Tim,

Yep- it's me alright, hah-hah! How're y'all doing...great I hope?
Anyway, that pair of Winterland shows were apparently absolute stormers, and MZ's photos bear that out.

[zagaris.photoshelter.com]

Anyway, on with the show!

Cheers,

Simon.

ps here's a reminder from our totally random meet![iorr.org]

Hi Simon-- thanks for posting the link to our O2 serendipitous meet up. Really enjoyed seeing it again and in fact printed it out for my archives. Will u be coming across the pond for any shows? Would be great to meet up again.

plexi

Date: January 21, 2019 09:58

One note, that Zagaris colour foto from his website is not from March 30 1976, but either March 27 or 28, the dates of those Winterland shows. He is obviously a Bay Area photographer. There are also 2 or 3 shots from my first Stones show at the Cow Palace on Wednesday July 16 1975 (the second of two shows). Great to see those.

The site is a bit maddening in that he gives years for some fotos but not all of them.

Gosh thanks for the link Simon. I have rarely seen pics from my first Stones show.

plexi

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-21 10:05 by timbernardis.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 21, 2019 21:29

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that. Unless my numbers come up in the lottery, then I'll follow all activity from a-far!

Have a blast at all the shows that you get to...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 21, 2019 23:24

I was lucky enough to have seen The Who at least twice at Wembley Arena in the 70's in the Keith Moon days, and they were great.

Even though Keith and The Ox are no longer with us, have seen them about half a dozen more times since then, and they are still a great act to see live .

More recently the gig at the small Indigo O2 some years ago and also two or three times at Royal Albert Hall were the most memorable to me with many fans from IORR also there.

Always a good night when The Who are on stage. thumbs up

Date: January 22, 2019 11:49

crawdaddy
I was lucky enough to have seen The Who at least twice at Wembley Arena in the 70's in the Keith Moon days, and they were great.

Even though Keith and The Ox are no longer with us, have seen them about half a dozen more times since then, and they are still a great act to see live .

More recently the gig at the small Indigo O2 some years ago and also two or three times at Royal Albert Hall were the most memorable to me with many fans from IORR also there.

Always a good night when The Who are on stage. thumbs up

Indeed!

plexi

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: January 22, 2019 23:13

I wonder about ticket sales as there is a ton of advertising for the show in South Florida and tickets are already on Groupon and the show isn't until September.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: January 22, 2019 23:39

Speaking of Winterland, God I wish they had some type of usable board tape of the Stones shows there in 1972. I love the Grateful Dead's Closing of Winterland DVD (12/31/78) and that great Springsteen show (12/15/78)

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 22, 2019 23:41

keefmick
I wonder about ticket sales as there is a ton of advertising for the show in South Florida and tickets are already on Groupon and the show isn't until September.

...so far, so bad.
Ticketmaster has a diabolical way of hiding ticket sales behind a curtain but these shows are out there and there are tons of visible seats still available.

Date: January 23, 2019 13:49

checked out the tickets for seattle. lots left. pretty expensive. the seats i like were about $100 for pearl jam & the foo fighters. the who are charging $150. orchestras are expensive.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 23, 2019 13:58

Big Youth Making Album With The Who!

[jamaica-gleaner.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 23, 2019 14:29

whoa! Deltics - is that for real, do you think? Sounds more like something the Stones would have done (and should do!)

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: January 23, 2019 14:36

peoplewitheyes
whoa! Deltics - is that for real, do you think? Sounds more like something the Stones would have done (and should do!)

I must admit that I checked the date to see if it was an old April Fool's day joke but it was posted yesterday and the Gleaner is a well established newspaper in Jamaica but I'll still only believe when I see it!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 23, 2019 15:11

I also checked to see if it had an April 1 date!smileys with beer

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 23, 2019 16:52

Hairball
They restored my faith at the Desert Trip shows- truly astounding sets both musically and visually, and that's the reason I want to see them again.
Prior to that, the last time I saw them was in 2007 at Long Beach Arena, and it was a very poor show - based on that I would have never bothered to see them again - which I didn't - until the explosive sets at Desert Trip!

Couldn’t agree more...I remember a conversation about all the acts and who would really ‘bring it’ over the weekend. When the conversation came to The Who, the consensus was they were up for the it...Pete, on the latest Rolling Stone podcast, confirmed that they viewed it as a competition among the acts...and The Who definitely ‘brought it’ that first weekend.

The wife and I are planning on going to see them at the Hollywood Bowl (the venue itself is on our bucket lots of places to see a show...and who better, than The Who?)

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: January 23, 2019 21:49

It's not the old Who but still pretty impressive. Their recent live album from Hyde Park is actually pretty good.

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 25, 2019 02:16

The Who double decker Magic Bus crossing Park Ave. in NYC, Jan. 2019

[bestclassicbands.com]

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: January 28, 2019 13:43

The Who live at Wembley Saturday July 6th

Presale on WEDNESDAY @ 1000 GMT if you pre-order new CD (signed copy £15.99 with £5 going to Double O charity)

Here's the link

[zaphod.uk.vvhp.net]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 28, 2019 21:25

Eddie Vedder and Kaiser Chiefs special guests....
Kaiser Chiefs used to be great (I Predict a Riot, Ruby, et al)- saw them live about a decade ago, but since then they turned more in to a bubbly soft pop band with their last couple of albums....
Still might be good live, and hope they guest at some of the US shows

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 29, 2019 00:48

Hairball
Eddie Vedder and Kaiser Chiefs special guests....
Kaiser Chiefs used to be great (I Predict a Riot, Ruby, et al)- saw them live about a decade ago, but since then they turned more in to a bubbly soft pop band with their last couple of albums....
Still might be good live, and hope they guest at some of the US shows

I agree, I saw them at Hyde Park opening for the Who in 2015. If you listen or watch their live performances Ricky doesn't sing like he use to. Also, IMHO they are not in a league with bands like Primal Scream or even Kasabian.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1534
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home