Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 106
Re: OT: The Who stuff
Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 14, 2019 21:57

Maybe with orchestras they can lessen their reliance on backing tapes in key songs, e.g., BabaO and WGFA. But for the orchestra, it's a smaller band than their last few tours. They're down to one keyboard player from three.

The fan club offer seems a gouge. £50 for a pin, some exclusive internet content, and access to presales for venues that will be about half full in many markets.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: January 14, 2019 22:32

Enjoyed them very much at Desert Trip.
Hadn't seen them live since their farewell tour in the eighties.

Pete cut his hand (requiring stitches then) and was bleeding profusely at both shows.. Good times cool smiley
Having said that, I wouldn't walk across the street to see them again if it was free.

Posted by: ChrisMahavishnu ()
Date: January 14, 2019 22:42

On the ticketmaster page for Madison Square Garden it has a warning "THIS PERFORMANCE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF IT CONFLICTS WITH A PLAYOFF GAME", is this a common notice, and is there much risk of this occurring?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 14, 2019 22:45

Not uncommon, but highly unlikely that either the Knicks or Rangers will make the playoffs.

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: January 14, 2019 23:17

jlowe
If The Who can play 30 dates this year AND record and release a new album then,
why can't The Stones?

Agree 100%

Date: January 15, 2019 00:00

daniel t
jlowe
why can't The Stones?

Agree 100%

Meh
First album in 13 years... and The Stones have played 30 NO Filter gigs alone between Sept '17 - July 18 (11 months)
ANd Counting....

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 15, 2019 00:45

The Who played 19 shows between July and October '17 (four months), and then Roger went and did a solo tour.

daniel t
jlowe
why can't The Stones?

Agree 100%

thumbs up

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 15, 2019 03:26

daniel t
jlowe
why can't The Stones?

Agree 100%

have you heard the last Who album? that's why.....

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 15, 2019 10:43

I'm not going to bite at this point. I hate buying tickets so far in advance. They are playing the baseball stadium in Seattle, capacity about 40000 for a concert. I've been to a few shows there & the sound & sight lines aren't very good. It's mid October, toward the end of the tour. There's a roof but its open air.likely to be bloody cold. all of this isn't good. not wild about the orchestra concept in a setting like that either. i love the who but i think i'm going to hold out for the vegas residency. the last time i saw them (last tour), they were great. i'd be fine leaving it at that.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 15, 2019 15:45

crholmstrom

They are playing the baseball stadium in Seattle, capacity about 40000 for a concert.

Seems a tad ambitious, as does the Fenway Park gig. I'd be curious to see the seating charts. Maybe they'll put the stage at home plate and just play to the seats behind home plate and close off the rest of the stadium. They actually did something similar the last couple of times they came to Detroit. They played a 20,000 seat arena, but only used half of it.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: January 15, 2019 16:10

Alpine Valley on a Sunday night --- yikes. If that were the previous Sunday night (Labor Day weekend) or a Saturday night i'd say that it would do pretty well, but this could be a tough one considering they are already playing Chicago (Tinley Park).

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 15, 2019 16:22

tatters
crholmstrom

They are playing the baseball stadium in Seattle, capacity about 40000 for a concert.

Seems a tad ambitious, as does the Fenway Park gig. I'd be curious to see the seating charts. Maybe they'll put the stage at home plate and just play to the seats behind home plate and close off the rest of the stadium. They actually did something similar the last couple of times they came to Detroit. They played a 20,000 seat arena, but only used half of it.

I saw McCartney at Safeco Field (now T-Mobile Park) in Seattle and thought it was fine, although I was 17th row on the floor.

With The Who playing on a Saturday, and there being no Portland show, 40 000 might not be out of the question, depending on the weather. Maybe they'll get Eddie Vedder or somebody to open.

Date: January 15, 2019 21:21

In for both nights at Hollywood Bowl via American Express sale - decent seats less than half way back at a very reasonable $89+ each.
I call that a bargain, not the best I ever had, but better than the Stones...I think I paid more than twice that for similar seats when the Stones played there back in '05.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: January 15, 2019 23:51

I'm going to buy tickets to the show in Ft. Lauderdale on September 20th at the presale tomorrow. I've been looking for pit tickets for the Stones opener in Miami with no luck(except super expensive VIP package) so The Who will be my consolation prize this year...smiling smiley

Posted by: erad ()
Date: January 15, 2019 23:56

ChrisMahavishnu
On the ticketmaster page for Madison Square Garden it has a warning "THIS PERFORMANCE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE IF IT CONFLICTS WITH A PLAYOFF GAME", is this a common notice, and is there much risk of this occurring?

Don't think you have to worry, the Knicks are one of the worst teams in the league currently and are tanking.

Date: January 16, 2019 00:00

Mr.D
I'm going to buy tickets to the show in Ft. Lauderdale on September 20th at the presale tomorrow. I've been looking for pit tickets for the Stones opener in Miami with no luck(except super expensive VIP package) so The Who will be my consolation prize this year...smiling smiley

thumbs up

More like the Grand Prize!
Based on the Desert Trip shows, the Who were far better than the Stones both weekends!
And considering the current price comparisons, along with the possibility of a new album...well it's really no contest imo.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 16, 2019 00:09

crholmstrom
I'm not going to bite at this point. I hate buying tickets so far in advance. They are playing the baseball stadium in Seattle, capacity about 40000 for a concert. I've been to a few shows there & the sound & sight lines aren't very good. It's mid October, toward the end of the tour. There's a roof but its open air.likely to be bloody cold. all of this isn't good. not wild about the orchestra concept in a setting like that either. i love the who but i think i'm going to hold out for the vegas residency. the last time i saw them (last tour), they were great. i'd be fine leaving it at that.

I was surprised to see this, too. Should be playing Tacomadome instead. Did they play 2 shows at the Kingdome in 82?

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: January 16, 2019 00:14

No Bay Area show? Pfft!

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 16, 2019 00:57

ChrisMahavishnu

This would never happen in the UK.
Is sport more important than rock n roll?! Blimey.

Date: January 16, 2019 02:44

jlowe
ChrisMahavishnu

This would never happen in the UK.
Is sport more important than rock n roll?! Blimey.

More about prior commitments than what's more important I would argue...
Course, we'd never see a local neighborhood council hold up a concert for months, so it's always something winking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 16, 2019 03:47

So how much are tickets?

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 16, 2019 08:51

what time do tix go on sale on friday?

And to Mister DDDD and ALL OF YOU: the Who is as great a live band as the Stones, period. The single greatest concert by ANY band I have ever seen was the Who at Winterland (capacity 5,400) in San Francisco March 1976. It just took my breath away, so powerful, incredible, indescribable, beyond words ...

plexi

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 16, 2019 10:29

tatters
crholmstrom

the mariners sent out a map & it looked like other shows there as far as the setup goes. i missed mccartney there but the only show i've seen that sounded right was pearl jam night 2. sadly, there was trouble when tom petty played 1 of his final shows. they actually filmed but i doubt it will come out. at 1 point the whole PA cut out & early songs you couldn't hear the guitars. i saw foo fighters there, too & the sound wasn't great. it's an odd set up for shows. i much prefer the football stadium next door where the stones are playing. it actually has great sound for a stadium & its a much more straight ahead view.

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 16, 2019 10:52

timbernardis

And to Mister DDDD and ALL OF YOU: the Who is as great a live band as the Stones, period. The single greatest concert by ANY band I have ever seen was the Who at Winterland (capacity 5,400) in San Francisco March 1976. It just took my breath away, so powerful, incredible, indescribable, beyond words ...

plexi

Hi Tim,

I know that jealousy and envy aren't to be encouraged, but @#$%& hell- that must have been some show, hah-hah!
This unreal shot by Mike Zagaris is one of my favourite captures by any photographer, anytime...

Wow...

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 16, 2019 14:35

timbernardis

the Who is as great a live band as the Stones, period.

I'll have to agree to disagree. Saw them both within a few weeks of each other in 2002 and I thought the Stones were operating on a whole other level .... and this comes from someone for Whom the Who are a lifetime obsession.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: January 16, 2019 17:10

timbernardis

plexi

times are all on the ticket site

Date: January 16, 2019 17:43

SimonN
timbernardis

plexi

Hi Tim,

I know that jealousy and envy aren't to be encouraged, but @#$%& hell- that must have been some show, hah-hah!
This unreal shot by Mike Zagaris is one of my favourite captures by any photographer, anytime...

Wow...

Cheers,

Simon.

It truly was. And I had just seen my first Stones show a few months before in July 75 at the Cow Palace, also in San Fran. At the Who show, legendary promoter Bill Graham introduced them as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Yeah, that is a great foto. Tell me about the photographer. This foto was recently posted on the Facebook on the Winterland Memories group. There were two shows and I believe I was at the first. You had to obtain tickets via a lottery that you had to mail in an entry for two tickets, limit. The demand was HUGE and I just plain and simple got lucky.

Oh and BTW, this was the Who with all four original members, not the 2002 version.

R u the Simon who I met at the Pilot in 07 and at the O2 itself in 08, the latter by sheer happenstance and out of nowhere??

plexi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-16 17:50 by timbernardis.

Date: January 16, 2019 17:48

getting conflicting e mails -- I have seen Live Nation site says the general sale is this Friday but Ticketmaster, which sends you over to Altitude Tickets, says Jan 24th. Dont know what to think.

plexi

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: January 16, 2019 17:53

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: January 16, 2019 18:24

timbernardis
SimonN
timbernardis

plexi

Hi Tim,

Wow...

Cheers,

Simon.

It truly was. And I had just seen my first Stones show a few months before in July 75 at the Cow Palace, also in San Fran. At the Who show, legendary promoter Bill Graham introduced them as the greatest rock and roll band in the world. Yeah, that is a great foto. Tell me about the photographer. This foto was recently posted on the Facebook on the Winterland Memories group. There were two shows and I believe I was at the first. You had to obtain tickets via a lottery that you had to mail in an entry for two tickets, limit. The demand was HUGE and I just plain and simple got lucky.

Oh and BTW, this was the Who with all four original members, not the 2002 version.

R u the Simon who I met at the Pilot in 07 and at the O2 itself in 08, the latter by sheer happenstance and out of nowhere??

plexi

Hi Tim,

Yep- it's me alright, hah-hah! How're y'all doing...great I hope?
Anyway, that pair of Winterland shows were apparently absolute stormers, and MZ's photos bear that out.

[zagaris.photoshelter.com]

Anyway, on with the show!

Cheers,

Simon.

ps here's a reminder from our totally random meet![iorr.org]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4445464748495051525354...LastNext
Current Page: 49 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home