Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: October 11, 2017 23:02

Cristiano Radtke
I wrote a review from the Porto Alegre concert that was just published on the fansite PeteTownshend.net, for those interested. smiling smiley

[www.petetownshend.net]

Late to this one, but a wonderful review, Cristiano. Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 11, 2017 23:45

bye bye johnny
Cristiano Radtke
I wrote a review from the Porto Alegre concert that was just published on the fansite PeteTownshend.net, for those interested. smiling smiley

[www.petetownshend.net]

Late to this one, but a wonderful review, Cristiano. Thanks for sharing.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 12, 2017 00:41

Great review Cristiano. smileys with beer

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 12, 2017 11:51

Not exactly a Tour subject, but:
Roger Daltrey gas just signed a book publishing deal. Expect the Memoir around Autumn 2018.
The blurb refers to him as 'One of the last legends in Rock'.
How many times do we hear that!

Date: October 12, 2017 12:05

jlowe
Roger Daltrey gas just signed a book publishing deal. Expect the Memoir around Autumn 2018.

I'd say he's one of the last legends without a book

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: October 12, 2017 13:13

I have watched the RAH show to be released tomorrow over and over during last weekend.
Purely amazing.
People won't regret buying it

Tommy is one of my musical milestones and I am so happy to see them playing it in it's entierty.

Here's my review : http://doctorstonesblog.blogspot.fr/2017/10/zoom-sur-who-tommy-live-at-royal-albert.html

It's in french, but Google will probably easily translate it ;-)

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: October 12, 2017 14:53

keefriffhard4life
jlowe

ROTFLMAO grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 12, 2017 18:38

keefriffhard4life
jlowe

What about:
MICK JAGGER PAUL SIMON ROGER WATERS MACCA RINGO STARR
Or even CHARLIE WATTS..not sure if he's a Rock Legend...

Date: October 13, 2017 07:50

jlowe
keefriffhard4life
jlowe

What about:
MICK JAGGER PAUL SIMON ROGER WATERS MACCA RINGO STARR
Or even CHARLIE WATTS..not sure if he's a Rock Legend...

I thought mick and McCartney had a book?

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 12, 2017 19:00

Seems like Pete Townshend's one year 'sabbatical' won't be quite that long, if The Mirror is to be believed:

The Who set to make multi million pound deal to replace Elton John in Las Vegas

By James Desborough & Halina Watts
11 NOV 2017

Getty

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 12, 2017 19:05

jlowe
..Or even CHARLIE WATTS..not sure if he's a Rock Legend...

I am.winking smiley

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 12, 2017 20:17

bye bye johnny
Seems like Pete Townshend's one year 'sabbatical' won't be quite that long, if The Mirror is to be believed:

11 NOV 2017

Getty

[www.mirror.co.uk]

God I hope not. I love the Who but this would be a nail in the coffin to their legacy.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 12, 2017 20:46

It's a great venue. I've seen Elton & Rod Stewart there. No bad seats & the sound is fantastic. I'm sure that it's attractive in that Pete & Roger don't have to travel. I'm sure the hotel treats them like kings, too. I'll go if I can. Almost went the last time but couldn't work it out in time. Have heard some tapes & they are very good. & the tickets were far less than what the Stones were charging for the enormo arena down the street.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 12, 2017 21:39

Yes I agree. The show is certainly one of their best. The video production is
excellent too. I highly recommend!

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: November 12, 2017 21:57

Happy Jack
bye bye johnny

11 NOV 2017

Getty

[www.mirror.co.uk]

God I hope not. I love the Who but this would be a nail in the coffin to their legacy.

Absolutely not. This is 2017 not the Elvis Vegas of old.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 12, 2017 23:14

Vegas makes perfect sense. Instead of jetting around the States, their audience can come to them. Many people travel to concerts anyway, and Vegas is convenient from everywhere.
More acts are doing this type of thing -- Billy Joel in New York, Kid Rock here in Detroit doing multiple shows.
The next thing will be to stream these shows on HBO or something.
I enjoyed watching the Stones in Europe on handheld phones on Facebook -- seems there would an opportunity to get good video and sound and make it available to people at home.

Posted by: Stonesdude ()
Date: November 13, 2017 02:47

I went to one of the shows. It was excellent. The venue is great and the band was on fire. Roger's voice was in great shape and Pete was very outgoing. If they come back I will go again. It was that good.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 13, 2017 03:37

I hope this becomes true - I'll be happy to make the "quick" six hour drive through the desert to see them again!

"Out in the woods or in the city
It's all the same to me when I'm driving free
The world's my home when I'm mobile..."

Viva Las Vegas! winking smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 13, 2017 15:03

Happy Jack

I suppose this sort of thing becomes inevitable when a band sticks around as long as they have, but it's still a little depressing. I always thought The Who were the one band I would never lose interest in, and while I'm not one of these aging hipsters who thinks they peaked on Sell Out and that it's been all downhill since 1967, I do find that I've had little or no patience for anything they've done since Entwistle died, or at least not since the abomination of Endless Wire or whatever it's called. I skipped seeing them the last two times they played near me, so I certainly don't see myself ever getting on a plane to go see them.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: November 13, 2017 16:50

I don't understand Pete wanting to do this...he has complained that he isn't creative anymore, this seems like the antithesis of being a creative rock star.

I can't imagine being in Vegas for a month straight during its continuous 105 degree daily heat periods.

While I scratch my head over this decision, I likely will fly in at least once to see them, even though I was just there last week to see Exhibitionism and Beatles LOVE.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 13, 2017 16:53

bye bye johnny

11 NOV 2017

[www.mirror.co.uk]

Great news! Thank you, bye bye johnny! smileys with beer

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 13, 2017 21:13

tatters
Happy Jack

I suppose this sort of thing becomes inevitable when a band sticks around as long as they have, but it's still a little depressing. I always thought The Who were the one band I would never lose interest in, and while I'm not one of these aging hipsters who thinks they peaked on Sell Out and that it's been all downhill since 1967, I do find that I've had little or no patience for anything they've done since Entwistle died, or at least not since the abomination of Endless Wire or whatever it's called. I skipped seeing them the last two times they played near me, so I certainly don't see myself ever getting on a plane to go see them.

I second that. Endless Wire wasn't bad, but that was the last tour I saw them. I know they sound good (from the recordings I've heard) but to me for a band like The Who Vegas is a cop out.
When Elvis was there, he revitalized his career. As someone earlier said, "This isn't Elvis' Vegas". They're right, Elvis Vegas was still a place to see mainly young and vibrant acts, todays Vegas is where acts go to die. Britney Spears
released her first album since 2007 last year, otherwise she's been a staple in Vegas.
I just don't like the idea of a (once) respected act like The Who seemingly ending their career in Las Vegas.

Date: November 13, 2017 21:37

Happy Jack
tatters
Happy Jack

I second that. Endless Wire wasn't bad, but that was the last tour I saw them. I know they sound good (from the recordings I've heard) but to me for a band like The Who Vegas is a cop out.
When Elvis was there, he revitalized his career. As someone earlier said, "This isn't Elvis' Vegas". They're right, Elvis Vegas was still a place to see mainly young and vibrant acts, todays Vegas is where acts go to die. Britney Spears
released her first album since 2007 last year, otherwise she's been a staple in Vegas.
I just don't like the idea of a (once) respected act like The Who seemingly ending their career in Las Vegas.

seems you made up a lot of this. spears has released 4 studio albums since 2007. two of them went to #1

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 13, 2017 23:41

Lol I'm confused by all the depression talk about The Who. You thought they'd be "the one band you would never lose interest in"? What they hell have they done differently in the last 30 years. "Nail in the coffin to their legacy"? I'm sorry, that happened when they continued without Moon, and then without John. Which I think were arguably smart decisions. We've gotten good stuff since. But THAT'S The Who. What I saw 5 years ago was a great Roger and Pete show that I feel comfortable calling "The Who" but know is not actually The Who.

People like to get so overly dramatic. Seriously, I'd like to know why VEGAS would be the thing that actually depresses people. Or do you say this every time they do something questionable like tour without key members, tour behind 50 year old albums, stop putting out new music, etc? I'm not sure what people want in these older bands. I get that maybe people like to think they are still a "band" and still relevant. They are not. Its a dinosaur act that has been that way, like it or not, since about 1989 (sound like anyone else familiar?). And I say that with a fondness for it. Be happy they're even still around. If you're a fan of these bands I'm not sure WHAT they could do at this point that you would truly upset fans. They've already put up with this much. Vegas is also not what it used to be. Its a smart financial decision and easier on a band that probably shouldn't even still be able to tour at their age. They make it work the way they can.

I'm not saying you should find new bands, cause I don't know for the life of me who those bands would be these days. But its futile getting upset or dramatic about a band you all know deep down has been a relic for decades. Enjoy what they do now or point out your own hypocrisy that there's hardly anything different today that the Who haven't been doing for the last 30 years.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:29

Legacy, shmegacy.

If they still bring joy to tens of thousands a night in providing a capable celebration of a now extinct form of musical culture, then it is their privilege and right to play wherever and whenever they want.

My Generation, Tommy, Who's Next, and Quadrophenia -- that is their legacy and can never be diminished, because the past can never change.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: November 14, 2017 06:42

It’s music people, just dig it.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 18, 2018 13:33

The Who Live at the Fillmore East 1968

Universal Music will issue The Who Live at the Fillmore East 1968 in April, a set of unreleased recordings from the second of two nights played at Bill Graham’s legendary, but short-lived, venue in the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

The Who’s manager Kit Lambert had recorded both the 5th and 6th of April shows of ’68 with a view to issuing as The Who’s fourth album after Sell Out. That never happened, but 50 years later sound engineer Bob Pridden (who was there in 1968) has restored and mixed songs from the 6 April show for this new archival release.

The setlist features extended versions of My Generation (33 minutes!), A Quick One…, Shakin’ All Over and many other Who classics. This will be issued as a gatefold triple vinyl set and a two-CD edition.

The Who Live at Fillmore East 1968 will be released on 20 April 2018. Amazon UK have a remarkably cheap pre-order price for the 2CD edition. Who fans should also note that an expanded 2CD deluxe edition of Pete Townshend‘s Who Came First will be issued a week earlier on 13 April.

LP 1
Side 1

1. Summertime Blues 4.14
2. Fortune Teller 2.38
3. Tattoo 2.58
4. Little Billy 3.38

Side 2

5. I Can’t Explain 2.28
6. Happy Jack 2.18
7. Relax 11.57

LP 2
Side 1

1. I’m A Boy 3.23
2. A Quick One 11.15

Side 2

3. My Way 3.16
4. C’mon Everybody 1.55
5. Shakin’ All Over 6.55
6. Boris The Spider 2.32

LP 3
Side 1

My Generation (Part1)

Side 2

My Generation (Part 2)

[www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: February 18, 2018 14:11

We've got some great bootlegs of this show over the years, it will be nice to have an official release of it!

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 18, 2018 14:27

Recorded just a day or two after MLK was assassinated. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I always thought Pete's "You're all forgiven!" vocals at the end of "A Quick One" were particularly scathing that night.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 18, 2018 16:34

even though have heard boots, will be nice to have that era. "thomas" changed the game considerably.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3940414243444546474849...LastNext
Current Page: 44 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home