Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 29, 2017 01:26

RollingFreak
Lol I'm a big fan of current Who (not big fan but I have no problems with them continuing) but its become a big laughable people praising Daltrey's voice.
Daltrey was sounding okay up to the early 2000s -- but I have a bootleg "The Who Live 2000" which is really December 1999 when they played in Shepard's Bush, and he was a bit off then, a bit strained.

People comment on Daltrey's voice sounding good because it does -- it seemed like he might have been finished by the late 2000s, when he had to walk off stage during Behind Blue Eyes because he couldn't sing anymore, as if the years of stretching to serve the songs of Pete Townshend had finally caught up with him. In 2006, he was really struggling through the whole tour -- that Live in Lyon disc that came with the deluxe Endless Wire has his voice crackling all over the place like a sputtering flame that's about to die out.

Then he has that laser surgery to remove that nodule in his throat and then, bam! -- it's like 20 years of decline were removed overnight. Suddenly he could hit high notes again, the raspy gruffness had been replaced with a renewed smoothness and clarity. So, yeah, I'm one of those who praise his current voice, the fact that he can still after all this time sound like Roger Daltrey.

And, yes, as well I am glad what remains of The Who is still here -- because, unlike you, I remember when there was no Who, the wasteland of the 1980s when it seemed, for 7 years anyway, that the world had seen the last of them and that I'd never get to see those songs performed live. Because there will come a day when that will no longer be possible, so I am grateful for whatever remains and for however long it shall remain.

For comparison, here's an idea of the struggles Daltrey was having in 2006 and 2007, where he loses his voice on stage during Behind Blue Eyes: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-18 11:08 by stonehearted.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 29, 2017 01:33

No I get that, but my point being is that every tour since his surgery everyone makes the point that he sounds better than ever. Its been like 5+ years now. Yes its good to know it held up, but people use it as a selling point that "he sounds better than he ever has, go now!" Nah, he's sounded pretty good since the surgery. Maybe a few ups and downs, but largely very good. Good to hear, but I just find it funny that people will always say that when at this point if you've followed their tours like I have, its pretty old news now that Daltrey luckily is back in good voice.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 29, 2017 03:11

RollingFreak
No I get that, but my point being is that every tour since his surgery everyone makes the point that he sounds better than ever. Its been like 5+ years now. Yes its good to know it held up, but people use it as a selling point that "he sounds better than he ever has, go now!" Nah, he's sounded pretty good since the surgery. Maybe a few ups and downs, but largely very good. Good to hear, but I just find it funny that people will always say that when at this point if you've followed their tours like I have, its pretty old news now that Daltrey luckily is back in good voice.
I'm simply saying that, based on those two Fallon videos, he sounds remarkable for a 73 year old man.

Paul Stanley had the same laser surgery a few years ago, and he sounds abysmal. It did NOTHING to stop the horrendous decline in his voice, whereas Daltrey legitimately sounds rejuvenated. I'm not saying he sounds better than ever, but, knowing a 73 year old is singing? Yeah, I'm impressed.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 29, 2017 03:22

keefriff99
RollingFreak
I'm simply saying that, based on those two Fallon videos, he sounds remarkable for a 73 year old man.

Paul Stanley had the same laser surgery a few years ago, and he sounds abysmal. It did NOTHING to stop the horrendous decline in his voice, whereas Daltrey legitimately sounds rejuvenated. I'm not saying he sounds better than ever, but, knowing a 73 year old is singing? Yeah, I'm impressed.

And then there's those who don't follow the Who on every tour and haven't seen Daltrey since his surgery - like me who saw them at Desert Trip shows and was pleasantly surprised at how great his vocals were. Having seen them about 10 years prior, and then at the Desert Trip shows was like night and day and something to behold. So for me, his vocals were indeed better than ever (meaning since his surgery). I also saw them in '79, and obviously his voice doesn't compare to the way it did back then. Not at Desert Trip, and certainly not 10 years ago.

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: August 18, 2017 06:50

Saw them last night in Lake Tahoe.....Pete was extremely joyful, not like much of the really early dates of the tour.

Here are a few vids I took.

OPENING SONG CANT EXPLAIN
[www.youtube.com]
MY GENERATION PLUS JAM
[www.youtube.com]
5 15 OPENING
[www.youtube.com]
BEHIND BLUE EYES
[www.youtube.com]
I’M ONE INTRO
[www.youtube.com]
LOVE REIGN OV’RE ME
[www.youtube.com]
EMINENCE FRONT
[www.youtube.com]
WIZARD
[www.youtube.com]
BABA
[www.youtube.com]
FOOLED AGAIN
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-18 06:54 by snorton.

Date: August 18, 2017 07:18

New massive blowout merch sale happening for US online store - 70% off of everything:

The Who

Bought the framed Pete litho for $75, original price was $250!

The Who, 50th Anniversary US Tour 2016 litho:
21" x 31"
Limited Edition of 600
7 color screenprint on cream paper
Hand Signed and Numbered by artist Chuck Sperry
Framed

Looks like these are now sold out, but the Roger version is still available at sale price of $75 (originally $250)

Slim pickings of other merch, but still some posters, various sized t-shirts, etc.

ps: thanks for the videos above snorton! thumbs up

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-18 07:20 by Hairball.

Date: August 18, 2017 07:37

Damn, that Pete one's awesome. I definitely would have pulled the trigger on that. Roger is cool too, but for close to $100 I'm a bit more hesitant. At the right angle, it looks like his eye is Alice Cooper like and menacingly staring at you lol. To those that didn't see it, you probably won't be able to unsee it now.

Cool blowout, but those two posters are the only thing I'd be interested in. I'll revisit Daltrey. Pete is more cliched but its also such an iconic image its the one I'd prefer for the price.

Date: August 18, 2017 08:55

If you're familiar at all with world renowned artist Chuck Sperry, you would understand these limited/signed/framed prints are easily worth $75 (plus $10.99 shipping).

Chuck Sperry

Even the original price of $250 was reasonable, and the fact that they're framed is icing on the cake. Even if you don't like The Who, I'd call that a bargain!
Both are iconic images based on actual photos. Not sure if I would call either "cliche" as that sounds a bit demeaning, and the images are still powerful and effective...trademark might be a better term.
Tempted now to buy the Roger version as well, as they would definitely go great together...just like they do in real life on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-18 09:29 by Hairball.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: August 18, 2017 18:42

snorton
Saw them last night in Lake Tahoe.....Pete was extremely joyful, not like much of the really early dates of the tour.

Here are a few vids I took.

OPENING SONG CANT EXPLAIN
[www.youtube.com]
MY GENERATION PLUS JAM
[www.youtube.com]
5 15 OPENING
[www.youtube.com]
BEHIND BLUE EYES
[www.youtube.com]
I’M ONE INTRO
[www.youtube.com]
LOVE REIGN OV’RE ME
[www.youtube.com]
EMINENCE FRONT
[www.youtube.com]
WIZARD
[www.youtube.com]
BABA
[www.youtube.com]
FOOLED AGAIN
[www.youtube.com]

Great, thank you! thumbs up

I can't hardly wait to see them next month.

Date: August 18, 2017 19:26

Hairball
If you're familiar at all with world renowned artist Chuck Sperry, you would understand these limited/signed/framed prints are easily worth $75 (plus $10.99 shipping).

Chuck Sperry

Even the original price of $250 was reasonable, and the fact that they're framed is icing on the cake. Even if you don't like The Who, I'd call that a bargain!
Both are iconic images based on actual photos. Not sure if I would call either "cliche" as that sounds a bit demeaning, and the images are still powerful and effective...trademark might be a better term.
Tempted now to buy the Roger version as well, as they would definitely go great together...just like they do in real life on stage.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean to demean it at all. I meant cliche in the best way, it just is a very known image. Probably still the wrong word. Great posters, but just like the Pete one way more. I know I'd hang that one. Roger would be cool to have but just at that price. I probably wouldn't hang it, thats just me. So not sure its worth the purchase but I agree its an incredibly deal as Sperry makes amazing stuff.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 18, 2017 19:43

Thanks for the heads up Hairball.
Just ordered a cheap Tee!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 18, 2017 22:04

Kurt
Thanks for the heads up Hairball.
Just ordered a cheap Tee!

cheap tees are good!

Date: September 6, 2017 15:23

Pete Townshend Says He Was the Who’s ‘Timekeeper': Exclusive Interview

By Jed Gottlieb September 5, 2017 12:20 PM

The Who’s Pete Townshend is always busy. To many fans’ dismay, it’s not always with Who projects.

Townshend is currently on the road for the Classic Quadrophenia tour, which is performed by a symphony orchestra and Townshend, Billy Idol, and British tenor Alfie Boe, and completely transforms the Who’s landmark 1973 album. Townshend couldn’t be more proud of the result and took some time to explain to Ultimate Classic Rock how the project began, Idol and Boe’s roles in the performance and how Keith Moon was unlike any other drummer.

What pushed you to transform Quadrophenia into a symphonic work?

It was a process that grew out of doing orchestrations of the last pieces that I composed over the recent years. As I get older, I want to have folios, I suppose, that people can go back to and refer to that have been approved by me. In this case, I got my wife [musician Rachel Fuller] to do these orchestrations, and [classical label] Deutsche Grammophon heard about them and wanted to do an album. That’s how that happened, but in the beginning, this project was never meant to be a record.

Now that it is a record, what do you feel Classic Quadrophenia demonstrates?

It’s difficult to say this without sounding conceited, but it feels to me that the composition, the writing, the structure, has … well, it’s not that it has risen above what we did as a rock band, but it certainly stands in its own territory. It’s authentic. It feels unadorned. Funny enough, this idea of rock with symphony orchestra is supposed to make the rock music better or different in someway. In this case, it feels to me that the new orchestration stands alone, it stands on its own. It’s a good, cohesive piece of work. It might appeal to people who don’t like how relentless the Who’s version of the album is [Laughs]. Maybe this will get few extra people to give it try.

More than anything else you’ve done, I feel Quadrophenia was meant to be adapted for an orchestra. You listen to those synthesizer parts and they already sound like swelling string sections.

Had I been able to orchestrate when I did the first recording, I might have done something similar to the new piece. But I wanted the Who to be able to play it onstage, so I was hoping we would be able to use some of the complete synthesizers and brass parts on tape, which we had done on the Who’s Next album with “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Baba O’Riley.” It proved to be very difficult, and so we never did it, but that was the mission. Thinking back, even if I could have done orchestration, I probably would have stuck to trying to do it with keyboards. Of course, back at that time, ’71, ’72 and ’73, I was so enjoying getting into analog synthesizers with all the little knobs and cables and God know what [Laughs]. It was such great fun.

When you listen to the two versions of Quadrophenia back to back, you can really hear two different vocal approaches. “Love Reign O’er Me” is so different. Can you hear that emotional difference?

Yes, of course of can. Quadrophenia was the only early Who album that I wrote entirely on my own, that I produced entirely on my own up until then. Therefore, I was in the room trying to guide Roger [Daltrey] and the way he sang “Love Reign O’er Me.” When he did his first couple of passes, it was quite shocking to me. I wasn’t ready for it, and I ran out in the studio and said, “Rog, this needs to be done a little bit more like ‘See Me, Feel Me’ on Tommy. It’s a pathetic young man who is sitting in the rain on a rock and he’s praying, he could drown at any moment and he’s desolate.” And my engineer, Ron Nevison, said, “Pete, I disagree, I think Roger is nailing it.” I said to him, “It sounds to me like he’s screaming out to the gods.” And Ron said, I can’t remember exactly, but it was something like, “Well, that’s just another way of praying.” And I listened again, and of course Roger had absolutely nailed it. So when it came to occasionally trying to sing this song myself at solo shows, I found it very, very difficult to sing. I found it difficult for me to sing because people expected me to scream, and that’s not the song that I wrote. So when we did the first take with Alfie Boe, he just sang it like a tenor would sing it, he did it as it was on the page. He knew the song, of course, as a fan of the Who, but he sang it without any adornment, a straight cut. I felt the song touched me in the same way, but it came at me from a completely different direction. I was very pleased with the way Alfie’s classical tenor approach, not so much dignified the orchestra, but fit it. It didn’t jar. It didn’t feel like we were trying to combine classical orchestration with rock ‘n’ roll. It just felt like we delivered classical orchestration. I love Alfie’s approach. He’s particularly good live because he really belts it and is a fantastic performer.

You have put this whole tour together for just five shows. It seems like a lot of work to do for just a few concerts. Do you think there will be more?

There may be more. I very doubt that I would be involved in them. At first I agreed to do one show between Who tour stints. Then I was bumped up to do two shows, then three, four, five, which is how these things go. This show is very much the about the orchestra, the choir and Alfie playing the role of Jimmy, and not about me, so I don’t know I need to tour with it more than this. We are hoping that there will be more, but we’ll see how the critics like it, how the audience’s like it. We’ll see whether Who fans will enjoy it or whether they spread negative response. A lot of fans are fearful whenever Roger and I do anything on our own.

Why do you think that is?

Well, if they are too supportive, they think we’ll never work as the Who again, and they really love the Who. [Laughs] We’ve seen that with Mick Jagger and his solo albums. He’s done some fantastic solo albums and they never sell because, in my opinion, people don’t want him to stop working in the Rolling Stones.

I hope fans take the time to check this out because it takes a piece many consider your masterpiece, me included, and enhances its legacy.

We shall see, I hope that people will take it at face value and get a kick out of it. Rachel said to me at lunch today, “It’s a very moving piece to sit and listen to with an orchestra live.” And I think it has something that’s on a par of what the Who can do live. It has the same power and impact and rhythmic structure. In the Who we had a drummer, here we have six percussionists. It’s a thunderous, explosive and exciting musical event. It’s like seeing a Hans Zimmer score for a Batman movie. It’s a big noise.

Much of that big sound in rock n’ roll, the kind of crescendos that you pioneered in the Who, can be very analogous to what an orchestra does in a piece by Stravinsky or Tchaikovsky or other composers famous for great bombast.

And there’s more to it than that, isn’t there? Keith Moon is a legend in many ways, one of the areas in which Roger and I have come to appreciate Keith since he has gone is that there’s no drummer who is quite so orchestral. He was an embellisher, a decorator, he was a percussionist in the truest sense. He could keep a beat, but that wasn’t what he aimed at. He aimed at decoration, augmentation, at supporting the music, at generating uplift. That was his passion when he played. And it’s where his personality expressed itself most acutely. He just exploded in a continual stream of machine-gun spurts of energy. But, for many years I was the timekeeper. People say that I’m a better rhythm guitarist than a lead guitarist, that’s because for 20 years I had to keep time. I was the drummer.

I love that you got Billy Idol for this tour. With Billy and Alfie, you have the complete ends of the spectrum of singing. Is that why you wanted him?

We wanted Billy for another reason. He’s been a part of my Quadrophenia life since in 1996 when we took it back on tour. He was just absolutely brilliant as Ace Face and the Bellboy. He brought the house down. Alfie does stomp about and he does try to be a rock star. But he isn’t. Now Billy, he’s a very lovely, mild-mannered man to be around, but when he walks onstage, he morphs into this fantastic being. I suppose we wanted him to be part of this because he is such a fantastic performer. But he also sings the songs beautifully. We just wanted to have some action, and Billy provides that because I won’t be swinging my arm or jumping up and down.

I understand Eddie Vedder is joining you for the Chicago show on Sept. 13. That’ll be really something to add him to the mix. What will he be doing in the show?

He will probably be playing the role of the punk in the song “The Punk and the Godfather.” And I think I will also ask him to do the song “I’m One,” which is just perfect for him. He and I may do “Drowned” together. We’re going to make the Chicago show a little different because it is a charity show.

It seems like you and Pearl Jam have been pretty tight for a while. What’s that relationship like?

I don’t know the whole band that well. I have met them at Neil Young’s Bridge Concert about 10 years ago and I do like them. But I would count Eddie as a family friend. When he comes to London, he goes to visit my brother Paul, who’s a painter and decorator, and he hangs out with Paul and his family and goes to the local pub and gets drunk. He supports my brother Simon in his solo shows, and he’ll often appear with them. He often invites Simon to appear with him when he does solo shows. So he’s very close to the family. And he and I do have a bit of Chicago History doing a couple charity shows in the past, so I was really excited when he decided to do it.

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 16:01

Great lines about Moon as a percussionist, an embellisher.

Also this observation:

We’ve seen that with Mick Jagger and his solo albums. He’s done some fantastic solo albums and they never sell because, in my opinion, people don’t want him to stop working in the Rolling Stones.

Mick's solo stuff has always seemed to represent an existential crisis for the band in the minds of some fans; very curious.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 6, 2017 16:33

I wish Pete would stop being like Jimmy Page revisiting old Who and write and release some new stuff. I know he has a lot in the can, and is always writing, so release it either as a Two album or a solo album. He still has a great voice and his guitar playing continues to be strong with lots of edge. Come on Pete!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 6, 2017 17:30

I thought Townsend lost his hearing. Did it suddenly reappear?

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: September 6, 2017 17:41

I think with tinnitus its a variable thing. He was injured on that Smothers Brothers taping when Moon double loaded the kit explosives. He's gone through tremendous sustained periods of pain and he's worked hard at reducing amp volume and directional angles on stage over the years and probably monitor protections too. A genuine rock and roll Soldier there

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: September 23, 2017 15:28

Pete Townshend announces a 'sabbatical':

Pete Townshend

Sunset in São Paulo. Tomorrow we rehearse here for our first show in South America. This has been a varied year for me. A lot of the usual things happening, and there are many new things a fairly long way in the future for me. I am preparing to take a one year ‘sabbatical’ from all the things I normally do in my career. The dictionary describes this thus: a period of paid leave granted to a university teacher for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked. I very doubt I will get paid as much as I do when I work with The Who, but this is really necessary for me. I so desperately need to do something new and different – and yet I don’t really have a plan for what I might do. It will emerge I suppose. The obvious problem for me working in The Who is that I am constantly playing music I wrote a long time ago – most of it over 35 years ago. I’m lucky in many ways, but there is little piece of me that has an unusually loud voice. When I’m on stage it sometimes says “…..you were so brilliant young Pete……”. At other times it says “…..when are we going to play something difficult…….?”

Don’t worry, I know I’m lucky.

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: September 23, 2017 15:38

Great show in Vienna last year!!!!!!!!!!! Thank You....M

Date: September 23, 2017 16:27

bye bye johnny
Pete Townshend announces a 'sabbatical':

[www.facebook.com]

I'm thankful that at least I'll have the chance to see them for the very first time and in my own hometown next Tuesday. Some friends of mine went to their concert in São Paulo and the general word is that the concert was epic, way better than they expected it could be. Perhaps Pete was touched by the fans' reaction, I don't know.

Tonight they'll play at the Rock in Rio festival at 10:35pm (Brazilian time) and this website will livestream it: [globosatplay.globo.com]

Due to some right issues the website only works in Brazil but you can use a VPN to watch it just like some BBC webcastings, for example.

This radio station is also broadcasting the whole festival and there will be a livestreaming for this concert as well: [radiomixfm.com.br]

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 23, 2017 17:29

bye bye johnny
Sunset in São Paulo. Tomorrow we rehearse here for our first show in South America. This has been a varied year for me. A lot of the usual things happening, and there are many new things a fairly long way in the future for me. I am preparing to take a one year ‘sabbatical’ from all the things I normally do in my career. The dictionary describes this thus: a period of paid leave granted to a university teacher for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked. I very doubt I will get paid as much as I do when I work with The Who, but this is really necessary for me. I so desperately need to do something new and different – and yet I don’t really have a plan for what I might do. It will emerge I suppose. The obvious problem for me working in The Who is that I am constantly playing music I wrote a long time ago – most of it over 35 years ago. I’m lucky in many ways, but there is little piece of me that has an unusually loud voice. When I’m on stage it sometimes says “…..you were so brilliant young Pete……”. At other times it says “…..when are we going to play something difficult…….?

Good for you, Pete.

Date: September 23, 2017 18:47

Cristiano Radtke

I'm thankful that at least I'll have the chance to see them for the very first time and in my own hometown next Tuesday. Some friends of mine went to their concert in São Paulo and the general word is that the concert was epic, way better than they expected it could be. Perhaps Pete was touched by the fans' reaction, I don't know.

Oh my...for the first time...it will be EPIC...99.999% guaranteed!

Have a good time Cristiano!

"Long live rock, I need it every night" thumbs up

Date: September 23, 2017 19:08

Hairball
Cristiano Radtke

Oh my...for the first time...it will be EPIC...99.999% guaranteed!

Have a good time Cristiano!

"Long live rock, I need it every night" thumbs up

Thank you very much, Hairball! smileys with beer

I wasn't in a Who mode until they played in São Paulo, so after reading some short reviews from friends I'm very excited. It will be as unforgettable as my first Stones concert, I'm sure. Unfortunately, it seems it will be my first and last Who concert, but you can't always get what you want. smiling smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 23, 2017 19:29

Have a great time on Tuesday Cristiano, in your home town of Porto Alegre.

Seen a few youtube clips of Sao Paulo gig and looks really good.

Any Who gig is unforgettable and it will be a great musical experience.

Saw them last at Hyde Park in June 2015 with quite a few Stones fans who post on IORR including Bluzdude,gregor,paulywaul,zgubi and Beast, and they were great as usual. smileys with beer

Date: September 23, 2017 19:42

crawdaddy

Saw them last at Hyde Park in June 2015 with quite a few Stones fans who post on IORR including Bluzdude,gregor,paulywaul,zgubi and Beast, and they were great as usual. smileys with beer

Thank you very much, crawdaddy! smileys with beer

I remember reading about that Hyde Park gig and it looked like super fun, especially with the company of those usual IORR suspects.

I've been avoiding to know or to watch any clips because I want to be surprised but I'm sure it will be an unforgettable experience. smiling smiley

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 23, 2017 19:54

Be lucid: a rare and respectable art...

LongBeachArena72
bye bye johnny
Sunset in São Paulo. Tomorrow we rehearse here for our first show in South America. This has been a varied year for me. A lot of the usual things happening, and there are many new things a fairly long way in the future for me. I am preparing to take a one year ‘sabbatical’ from all the things I normally do in my career. The dictionary describes this thus: a period of paid leave granted to a university teacher for study or travel, traditionally one year for every seven years worked. I very doubt I will get paid as much as I do when I work with The Who, but this is really necessary for me. I so desperately need to do something new and different – and yet I don’t really have a plan for what I might do. It will emerge I suppose. The obvious problem for me working in The Who is that I am constantly playing music I wrote a long time ago – most of it over 35 years ago. I’m lucky in many ways, but there is little piece of me that has an unusually loud voice. When I’m on stage it sometimes says “…..you were so brilliant young Pete……”. At other times it says “…..when are we going to play something difficult…….?

Good for you, Pete.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: September 24, 2017 14:48

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 24, 2017 15:03

Cristiano Radtke
crawdaddy

Thank you very much, crawdaddy! smileys with beer

I remember reading about that Hyde Park gig and it looked like super fun, especially with the company of those usual IORR suspects.

I've been avoiding to know or to watch any clips because I want to be surprised but I'm sure it will be an unforgettable experience. smiling smiley

You'll love it Cristiano. Stones fans very easily become Who fans too after 1 show, myself included. I saw my 1st Who show in March 2015 and I've been to 3 more since, including Hyde Park, which had a large IORR presence grinning smiley. Crawdaddy and I were in different sections, but we had a shouted conversation across the fence and he introduced me to PaulyWaul and Beast, who were standing close by.

After that show at the O2 in March 2015, I was kicking myself for not seeing them before. It's a completely different experience from the Stones - no frills or fireworks or grand entrance. Just 2 old London geezers from Shephard's Bush wandering onto the stage, pick up their instruments and start playing. Roger usually walks on with his mug of Tea - rock and roll! Pete's guitar playing is still top dollar.

Last time I saw the Who was a year ago in Bologna, Italy. A wild jumping Italian crowd rolled the clock back 50 years and Rog & Pete responded with a blistering performance.

Next up it's the Stones in Barcelona and I'm already here thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 00:46 by grzegorz67.

Date: September 24, 2017 16:32

Thank you, grzegorz67! smileys with beer

Actually I'm a Who fan for a long time but I've never been able to see them before, so this will be a very special concert for me.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 24, 2017 17:36

The Who (surprisingly) ended up being my second favorite performance at Desert Trip (2) last October. Hadn't seen then since their first "farewell" tour in the eighties. At that show in the Tacoma Dome, Pete ended up at a local hospital for stitches after slicing his hand doing his trademark Windmill move.. At DT2 he cut his hand (similarly) and was bleeding at the end of the (fantastic) show! Picked up right where I left off.. cool smiley

Read recently about an interview where Pete credited Keith for his signature move...

“[The Who] supported the Stones for two shows,” Townshend says. “They were young, they were brand new and they had one hit, with a Chuck Berry song called ‘Come On.’ I met them back stage and they were all very charming.
“As the curtain opened, Keith Richards is doing this,” the guitarist relates, standing up and demonstrating the windmill motion. “I was thinking, ‘Wow, that’s so cool!’ I thought it was part of his ‘thing.’ A couple of weeks later, we supported them again in a club in south London. I’m watching carefully, waiting, and he didn’t do it.”
Puzzled, the young Townshend asked the Stones guitarist why he didn’t do the windmill. “He went, ‘What?!’,” Townshend recalls. “I can’t tell you what exactly what he said, but the inference was, ‘I’m Keith Richards. Do you really think I’m gonna do ballet?’ That was the inference.”

Probably already discussed on here, but I found it a bit of a surprise..

Pete Townshend Admits He Swiped His Trademark ‘Windmill’ From Keith Richards | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-24 17:40 by MisterDDDD.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3738394041424344454647...LastNext
Current Page: 42 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1175
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home