Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 17, 2016 00:06

DGA35
Saw the sold out concert last night at Rogers Arena Vancouver. That was a lot better than I thought it would be. Daltrey's voice was excellent, hitting the high notes on Love Reign Oer Me and Won't Get Fooled Again. Townshend was great, good light show and great videos, showing a lot of the band's history. Zak Starkey fits in well on drums.
The sound was probably the best I've heard for any concert in the arena or across the street at BC Place. No distortion at all.
This show was the makeup show from last September when they had to postpone because of Daltrey's illness. Tickets were originally purchased in Oct 2014 so we waited 19 months!

I went with 0 expectations and left a happy man! Sound was excellent i thought also, bought the USB thingy and downloaded the show, I've listened to highlights and its excellent quality. There were a few moments that were magic and again I was blown away by the sound. The scream in wont get fooled again was just magic.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 17, 2016 02:27

Seattle Times online gave a good review as did the Vancouver Sun 2 days ago!

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: May 18, 2016 03:15

Did any of you see this yet?

[www.jambase.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 18, 2016 06:24

Mr.D
Did any of you see this yet?

[www.jambase.com]

Ya, it was really good!

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 26, 2016 22:15

Really good show last night at Staples Center. Review - The Who at Staples Center

Posted by: snorton ()
Date: May 27, 2016 00:54

I saw them in Oakland...great show.

Pete was joyful and both he and Roger had a few fun tidbits about some of the songs, very enjoyable and plenty of energy from Pete's guitar.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: May 27, 2016 02:07

Paddy
DGA35
Saw the sold out concert last night at Rogers Arena Vancouver. That was a lot better than I thought it would be. Daltrey's voice was excellent, hitting the high notes on Love Reign Oer Me and Won't Get Fooled Again. Townshend was great, good light show and great videos, showing a lot of the band's history. Zak Starkey fits in well on drums.
The sound was probably the best I've heard for any concert in the arena or across the street at BC Place. No distortion at all.
This show was the makeup show from last September when they had to postpone because of Daltrey's illness. Tickets were originally purchased in Oct 2014 so we waited 19 months!

I went with 0 expectations and left a happy man! Sound was excellent i thought also, bought the USB thingy and downloaded the show, I've listened to highlights and its excellent quality. There were a few moments that were magic and again I was blown away by the sound. The scream in wont get fooled again was just magic.

Was quite impressed. They really rocked out. Townshend played & sang great. 23 song setlist (only L.A. got as many so far) and 'The Acid Queen' bustout just killed me.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: May 27, 2016 03:38

The setlists look excellent, much better than the stagnant setlist the Stones have been playing the last couple of years.

Posted by: mikey C ()
Date: May 27, 2016 03:41

Great news looking forward to see The Who in Vienna in September!!!!!!!!

Date: May 28, 2016 21:18

mikey C
Great news looking forward to see The Who in Vienna in September!!!!!!!!

You don't wanna miss them....

Date: May 28, 2016 22:10

Did they sell soundboards of their U.S. shows this year like they did last year? I can't find them anywhere so I guess they didn't.

Date: May 28, 2016 22:29

Mr.D
Did they sell soundboards of their U.S. shows this year like they did last year? I can't find them anywhere so I guess they didn't.

Yes! Look at the Who website. I just got the Seattle show. You get both MP3 & FLAC for $9.99 US.

[thewhoofficialmerch.com]

Date: May 28, 2016 22:40

crholmstrom
Mr.D

Yes! Look at the Who website. I just got the Seattle show. You get both MP3 & FLAC for $9.99 US.

Thanks!They are all on sale for $7.99 for the next few days, I just bought the Oakland show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-28 22:56 by Mr.D.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 29, 2016 16:05

Mr.D
crholmstrom
Mr.D

Thanks!They are all on sale for $7.99 for the next few days, I just bought the Oakland show!

Kind of surprised these don't have cover art with the downloads.

Date: May 29, 2016 21:48

Pete and that other guy.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: May 30, 2016 11:59

I wonder if Roger is wearing a wig. Pete doesnt, obviously.smiling bouncing smiley

Date: May 30, 2016 13:55

HMS
I wonder if Roger is wearing a wig. Pete doesnt, obviously.smiling bouncing smiley

I thought that, too. Roger's sort of sporting that tele-evangilst/politician doo.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 30, 2016 14:21

HMS

An extremely clever type of wig. Since 2000 his hair, and hairstyle, aged gracefully. In the 2013-2014 gigs I saw (including the one sound check I attended, seeing him from zero distance) he looked a bit like a Hobbit with a type of a Frodo haircut…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-30 14:21 by Wroclaw.

OT : The Who rescheduled UK Tour Dates 2016
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 27, 2016 12:51

"To celebrate the 100th show performed for Teenage Cancer Trust at The Royal Albert Hall, raising vital money for young people with cancer, The Who will play a new acoustic presentation of Pete Townshend's Rock Opera TOMMY. 

Two shows have been announced at the legendary London venue on Thursday March 30th and Saturday April 1st, 2017 where the band will play the opera in full followed by a selection of other great Who songs.

The band have also announced that the five UK dates scheduled for August /September 2016, originally billed as 'Greatest Hits’ shows, will be moved to 2017 to coincide with the Royal Albert Hall dates.

For the rescheduled Greatest Hits shows Roger and Pete will play the hits as well as some lesser known Who songs and also include a new focused presentation of TOMMY drawn from the Royal Albert Hall concerts including a brand new video programme specially produced for these shows. 

This UK set will emulate the historic period around Live At Leeds and Woodstock when the central pivot of The Who’s show was always their performance of TOMMY  For Who fans new and old this is something special that hasn’t been done by the band or seen by their audience since 1970. 

Tickets for the shows originally scheduled for late August and September will be valid for the new shows. Any customers who cannot make the new dates are entitled to a full refund from their point of purchase. Deadline for refunds is 5pm August 12. The band’s European dates in Germany, Austria and Italy will still take place as scheduled."

Re: OT : The Who rescheduled UK Tour Dates 2016
Date: July 27, 2016 14:50

The group formerly known as THE WHO is going to play "Tommy" again?
How boring. Well... at least for charity.
But after that, please retire for Christ´s sake.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 27, 2016 15:33

For me The Who were 2nd only to the Stones as a live act in the 70s. I've seen them more than 30 times over the years - from Sundown Edmonton on the Quadrophenia tour in 73 to Hyde Park last year.

Unfortunately they are running out of ideas now - forever to tour a Tommy/Quadrophenia or Greatest Hits show. Hyde Park was great but it is sadly a case of diminishing returns.

Why don't they play some of their other albums in their entirety - Who's Next would be great and if they could manage it, their most creative album Sell Out.

Trying to replicate the Live At Leeds/Woodstock era acoustically sounds very sad indeed.

Date: July 27, 2016 17:09

All the above could be said ( and has been said by some ) easily about the band touring as the Rolling Stones.

I'm glad The Who are still around ,same with the Stones.

Looking forward to their show at Oberhausen in September.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 27, 2016 19:33

I'm confused: are they implying they haven't performed Tommy all the way through since the 70s? Cause they have. I actually thought its been multiple times at this point. Not sure how thats something "new" for the rescheduled UK dates.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: July 27, 2016 19:49

RollingFreak
I'm confused: are they implying they haven't performed Tommy all the way through since the 70s? Cause they have. I actually thought its been multiple times at this point. Not sure how thats something "new" for the rescheduled UK dates.

They played it all the way through 2 times in 1989. Those shows were in New York and a performance in L.A. that included special guests including Elton John and Steve Winwood.

Roger Daltrey did a tour in 2011 where he and his band did the full Tommy.

I believe that where the email uses the term "central pivot" that the shows will be like in 1970 where they open with some songs from their catalog, then play Tommy in the middle, ending with more catalog songs. The 2 shows in 1989 weren't done this way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-27 19:52 by Halup.

Date: July 27, 2016 21:26

shortfatfanny
All the above could be said ( and has been said by some ) easily about the band touring as the Rolling Stones.

Yes, but its a different story. The Who lost two core members and still carry on as The Who, that is ridiculous it´s Daltrey/Townshend playing the music of THE WHO not THE WHO. Entwistle/Moon were more important for THE WHO as Wyman/Watts for the Stones, imo. Mick Jagger´s voice is in much better shape than Roger Daltrey´s. The Stones still have enough original members to call themselves The Rolling Stones.

It sounds like a joke but in the past the Stones released more albums/songs than THE WHO. THE WHO released ONE album since It´s Hard (1982). So the well run dry long ago. According to the band the Stones are working on a new album. THE WHO dont have such plans, obviously because their last album Endless Wire (2006) turned out to be a pain in the ass.

And now they come up once again with Tommy... as if we havent had enough Tommy yet. Please Roger and Pete put finally an end to this comedy and call it quits for Heaven´s sake. Why prolong the agony?

Date: July 27, 2016 23:03

That's funny, people talking about what bands should hang it up on a board for a band who has played essentially the same show since 1972...except for the '02-'03 Licks tour!smiling smiley

Date: September 11, 2016 03:38

Tonight's show at Oberhausen was a blast !
Very impressive,only the sound was sometimes a mess unfortunately...

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 11, 2016 09:28

shortfatfanny

I will see them on Wednesday for the very first time, can't wait. Can you tell me please if there was a support band and what time did The Who start playing?

Date: September 11, 2016 12:59

Happy24
shortfatfanny

I will see them on Wednesday for the very first time, can't wait. Can you tell me please if there was a support band and what time did The Who start playing?

Happy,Slydiggs have been support band.Doubt they will play Stuttgart,at least they didn't mention it.
The Who entered the stage at 21:00 and played about two hours...no encores.
I'm sure you'll enjoy the show,have fun.
It's been my first one as well..smileys with beer

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 11, 2016 17:56

Who ARE YOU!? I saw them in Detroit after they restarted the tour and it was amazing. I posted previously on this thread. Who is anyone to say they should hang it up? It is ridiculous. It is Roger and Pete paying homage to their history. Yup, Keith is gone, John is gone, but to say they aren't putting on a great live show is just inane claptrap pandering. Especially if you haven't seen the show! The set list was astounding and brought back so many poignant memories. The band is crack, and most importantly Roger and Pete deliver! Pete is still an astounding guitarist and pulled out some of those transcendent pure Townshend lead/riff moments. Roger is sound great too! Obviously his throat surgery worked. Yup he gets tired, and struggled at times, but my god it is live music! And was so powerful, it is easy to overlook a split second voice quiver. It comes down to being a fan. You love The Who so you make a mission out of seeing Pete and Roger while they are still playing. Pete can be a cantankerous bitch at times, but that is why we love him. His complex anger, passion, and vulnerability is real, and not an act. So it draws you in. He told some amazing stories full of wonder, love, and comedy. He was speaking to the fans, and it wasn't rehearsed scripted stuff, it was spontaneous story telling of history. In Detroit The Who built their midwestern legend at the Grande Ballroom. Long smokey hot gigs that drew the blue collar working man into their orbit. Hard riffs and a power of sound. Pete told about those gigs at the Grande and related how the previous owner, who is 90 now, was backstage. Came to hang with The Who and talk history. That was genuine history and a rare moment to hear from the source and unfiltered and unrehearsed. You know, it was so emotional and a journey through time. Hearing them do The Amazing Journey complete with an on fire version of Sparks was beautiful. Hearing the Rock segue into Love R O M was amazing. It was truly an amazing journey, and don't let strange bizarre gate keepers of what is right and wrong about a band keep you from seeing a great show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-09-11 19:06 by whitem8.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...3334353637383940414243...LastNext
Current Page: 38 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1897
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home