Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 29, 2016 20:37

Go! It'll be great! Just watching Pete slash away is worth it!

Re: the who detroit
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 29, 2016 20:38

BluzDude
crawdaddy
Anyone got The Hyde Park 2015 DVD ?

I got it back in U.K. but not back till March 5th.

Just missed the postman by one day otherwise would be playing it.

Never got the DVD, probably because ShowTime plays it frequently out here. It is taped on my DVR. Every time I watch it, I try to spot me and my friend as we were close to the boom camera in front of the sound booth.

Considering where you were crawdaddy, you should be an easy target to spot.

Anyway, forgetting about all that, I thought it was a great show, especially considering their age. And with the stories I heard about Daltry's voice, I thought he sounded fine.
Yes ! That was a great day out and so good to have a chat over the fence not all that far from front of stage. I've just seen a few tracks on youtube today and will have a look at more tomorrow. Cheers BluzDude smileys with beer

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: January 29, 2016 23:16

Tal Wilkenfield, and I assume her band, will be the opening band for the Who's North American tour. She is a steller bass player. When she played at A Chicago crossroads festival, with Jeff Beck, she left everyone amazed and was a standout of the show even though there were huge names performing. Actually I attended another of Jeff's shows just to see Tal again. Pino and John E. Would certainly approve!

I noticed she is also playing some solo gigs on off days as well.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 29, 2016 23:34

Tal is such a talented girl, that would be an added bonus at any gig any band are on stage. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-29 23:41 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 30, 2016 01:33

DandelionPowderman
Love The Who! But this is off topic.
In 1967, The Who covered The Last Time and Under My Thumb. Charlie Watts played on Rough Mix. So now we're on topic! (;-)

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 30, 2016 03:13

You forgot Ronnie appeared on Mac's cover of "Pictures of Lily;" Pete sang on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" and "Slave" and played on Mick's SHE'S THE BOSS (which also featured Rabbit) and GODDESS IN THE DOORWAY albums; a pre-Who Kenney Jones played on "It's Only Rock 'n' Roll" and later appeared with Bill's ARMS project; Keith introduced The Who at ROCK 'N' ROLL CIRCUS which we first got to see in THE KIDS ARE ALRIGHT; and Pete himself posted in this thread so yes, The Who are very on topic.

Honourable mention for Pino Palladino having auditioned to replace Bill and later playing on Keith's CROSSEYED HEART album.

You could even argue for Shel Talmy producing The Who and The Kinks since Mick Avory of The Kinks used to be a drummer for The Stones.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-30 03:15 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 30, 2016 03:32

tatters
The Who are still good enough to seem very impressive to someone who's never seen them before. I was bored when I saw them a few years ago, but that's because I also saw them in the 1970s.

Agreed. If I'd never seen them yet it would be a must see, but...

I saw them in '80 at L.A. Forum - amazing.
Again in '82 at L.A. Coliseum - average.
And finally in '07 at Long Beach Arena - mediocre.

Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: January 30, 2016 07:55

Pete posted in this thread before? Really?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: January 30, 2016 09:14

swimtothemoon
Tal Wilkenfield, and I assume her band, will be the opening band for the Who's North American tour. She is a steller bass player. When she played at A Chicago crossroads festival, with Jeff Beck, she left everyone amazed and was a standout of the show even though there were huge names performing. Actually I attended another of Jeff's shows just to see Tal again. Pino and John E. Would certainly approve!

I noticed she is also playing some solo gigs on off days as well.

That'll be awesome if Tal is opening! I didn't know who she was until I bought the Beck DVD Live at Ronnie Scott's a couple years ago and she is playing bass in it. She also played with Jagger/Beck on SNL a few years ago.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 5, 2016 00:26

With my no 1 band otherwise engaged, I've just scored an excellent late seat for the Who gig at Wembley Arena, London in 9 days time. I saw them for the 1st time last March at the O2 and was very taken with them. I've really grown to love this band as many Stones fans do and I regret not seeing them before (I'm 48). It's seats only, including on the floor but I can't wait for this.

User PTownshend, really looking forward to seeing you and your gang. Loved the format of the O2 show I saw with you talking sbout the story being your songs before playing them (Pictures of Lily...grinning smiley) and the banter with wee Roger.

Any other IORRians going to this one ? There are still a few seats left at face value (£90 all in) on the main site and elsewhere, they're asking silly money on all PaulyWaul's favourite (NOT!) sites...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-05 00:49 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: February 5, 2016 03:45

I was fortunate enough to catch them in '89 and a few times in the 90s and 2000s. I obviously much preferred their time with John Entwistle, but they still deliver the passion and the fury nonetheless.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: February 5, 2016 15:04

jazzbass
I was fortunate enough to catch them in '89 and a few times in the 90s and 2000s. I obviously much preferred their time with John Entwistle, but they still deliver the passion and the fury nonetheless.

Pino Palladino does a fine job but I think we'd all prefer them with the Ox/Thunderfingers on bass. However, since 2002 we've not had the choice.

Still, like you say, the passion remains. I saw 2 shows last year and the on screen graphics and old footage are a fantastic backdrop to what will be a great evening's entertainment.

If I have a critiscism of them (and the same applies to McCartney), they do not leave enough gaps between shows to allow Roger's voice to recover. Last year McCartney did consecutive nights several times and he never leaves the stage - playing 40 songs in a 2hr 45 min show and playing an instrument on every one of them. He's 73!

Look at the Stones. Since their current run of short tours i.e. 50 & Counting/14 on Fire/Zip Code/Ole/ they usually leave 3 days or more between shows. The result is that Mick's voice is still very strong. He also has Keith to give him his half time break.

I'm hopeful about next Saturday as it's the Who's 1st show in months (Roger having recovered) and their next show isn't until 27th so he can go for it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 14, 2016 14:05

Any reports from our friends in London on last night's show? Looks like a few changes in the set list since the last time they played. Nothing I'm unhappy about!

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: February 14, 2016 16:16

Who Are You
The Seeker
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
My Generation
Pictures of Lily
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
The Rock
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

Only "major" change from earlier leg of this tour is the inclusion of the instrumental "The Rock" from Quadrophenia.

Glad I caught them at the start of the tour in Glasgow.....we got a great setlist

I Can't Explain
Substitute
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See For Miles
Who Are You
Long Live Rock
A Quick One
Slip Kid
Join Together
Behind Blue Eyes
Squeeze Box
The Seeker
5:15
Bell Boy
Love Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Cry If You Want
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me Feel Me - Listening To You
Magic Bus
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again
Naked Eye

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: February 14, 2016 16:19

apparently an audience recocording of the Wembley gig.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: February 14, 2016 17:47

I was there yesterday. Personally I thought they were better than at Hyde Park last year.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Who Are You
The Seeker
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
My Generation
Pictures of Lily
Behind Blue Eyes
Bargain
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
The Rock
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

They start in the States in about a week and a half ... DON'T MISS THEM !!

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurv this band !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: February 14, 2016 17:58

Looking forward to seeing them in Detroit! I wish they would put A Quick One and Slip Kid back in the setlist!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 14, 2016 22:38

I'm there May 15! I've had the tickets so long now I think they are growing rust, haha.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 15, 2016 00:16

I'm glad to see Pictures of Lilly back in the set. As many times as I have seen the Who I have never been fortunate to have that song in the set. There is a good
version on the Hyde Park DVD though. Great to hear the positive review.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: February 15, 2016 01:12

I saw them play A Quick One in Miami last April, I was hoping to get a proshot version of it at New Orleans, Glastonbury or Hyde Park, but no luck!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 15, 2016 01:26

crholmstrom
I'm there May 15! I've had the tickets so long now I think they are growing rust, haha.

Same here but my wait is a little shorter (if it happens) March 21 in Milwaukee. Will they be changing the name of the tour to The Who Hits 51?

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: February 15, 2016 01:57

I was at the Wembley gig last night in Block A2 Row 2.

They were stunning. Roger's voice benefited from a long break and as he didn't need to concern himself with doing another show in two days time really let rip.
Pete was on fire and looked to be enjoying himself more than on the Quadrophenia tour. The sound was razor sharp too, which added to the power of the show.
I did some Periscope but it is all offline now.

The only thing I missed at the show was 5:15, which is probably my fave song of theirs.

Great to see Zak back on drums again; he really adds dynamic punch to the sound.
Pete's banter about the paper setlist (or initial lack of it) on the floor at his "station" and the C word was a riot. What was apparent from Roger's comments about his ill health in 2015, was it was more of an ordeal than we may have supposed. We are so lucky to have around.

If they keep this performance level up, you Americans are in for a treat.

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-15 02:27 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: February 15, 2016 02:16

paulywaul
I was there yesterday. Personally I thought they were better than at Hyde Park last year.

They start in the States in about a week and a half ... DON'T MISS THEM !!

Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurv this band !!

Hey Pauly, did you see this guy last nite dressed in a white suit and hat, with flamboyant sartorial accoutrements that made it look like he had just walked in from carnival?

I had a good rap with him on the way back to the station; fascinating dude. He told me the Stones are playing a North American tour later this year.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: Night Manager ()
Date: February 15, 2016 06:47

they are great, seen them in Amsterdam last year. Great band.
...Still, I`ve also lived through two shows of The Who in 1975, that was completely out there, not to be compared. I`ve never since heard music being played so intensely excellent and powerful, whatever genre.
(And after the 2d show in Düsseldorf, Keith Moon destroyed his huge drumkit, the entire backstage area and his hotel room. If I remember correctly, I may be aggrandizing after all this time because I love the whole thing so much..., yes, also the destruction, it fitted well and was so otherwordly...))
-The music, today, is fine and I would love to see them any day.
Back then, it was something else out there in the universe. It could hardly have been done, but they did

Date: March 1, 2016 17:03

I went to the Two (Who) last Saturday in Detroit. This was a homecoming in so many ways, my first "big" show was seeing them when I was 15 in 1979 at the Pontiac Silverdome. I live two hours from Detroit now and just moved back to Michigan after being overseas for 17 years. For those of you on the fence. Go. It was a stunning show. Roger is healed, and was majestic, funny, self-assuming, and clearly loving it. Roger has always loved The Who the most. Pete was Pete. A cynical hard-ass, touching, historically accurate, and on fire guitarist.

This was a great rock show. With a cracking backing band. Three keyboards, Simon Townshend on guitar, Pino on bass, and Zak Starkey on drums. They were never in the spotlight too much with the main focus on the two. However, there were moments, such as drum fills on several songs that were spotlighted, some bass (that was one quibble, it was too low in the mix). But the sound was fantastic at Joe Louis Arena. It was completely sold out and everyone stood the entire show. And it was a Detroit audience in its full. Very vocal, cheering during the music, singing along, the band, Pete and Roger were clearly touched. Pete told how Detroit has always held a special place in Who history because we were the first US city to chart one of their songs, Happy Jack. He told two stories about The Who playing the Grande Ballroom, and about how the former owner, in his 90s was there visiting with The Who before the show!

And the music. They were fantastic. Roger clearly has healed. He gave a wonderful intro to The Rock saying Pete writes operas that are beautiful, and tonight they were going to do a longer instrumental. And boy did they! The band and Pete were just incendiary playing with force and intricate beauty. Then The Rock seamlessly merged into Love Reign O'er Me. And everyone waited to hear if Roger could do it and he hit it right in the pocket. It was beautiful, with the entire audience swaying on their feet. Those two together were worth the priced of the show, but then they did Amazing Journey into an explosively powerful Sparks. Pete was full on, bending strings, using the tremolo, bending the neck of the guitar to bring howels. He synced with Zak watching each other for cues. Again, worth the entire show for those two stunning performances. It was a sad realization that was probably the last time we would see The Who in Detroit. If they are coming your way. Go! You won't be disappointed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 18:55 by whitem8.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: March 1, 2016 17:18

Tiger's Detroit periscope won me over, I bought a great seat for Chicago on March 10, stoked!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-01 17:19 by mnewman505.

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 1, 2016 17:35

The Who concert in Detroit...a photo gallery from Ken Settle:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 1, 2016 23:16

The reviews have made me slightly upset I pulled the trigger on the Quadrophenia tour and didn't wait for this one. They were great on there, but this was more of the well rounded set I had hoped to see from them. The Quad tour just fell at the perfect time where I had the money to splurge on them and it was an album I liked. I didn't know how much longer they'd go on and go on well. Probably should have saved for this one as it sounds like they've been great.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 2, 2016 17:33

Looks like they're sticking with the shorter setlist.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 2, 2016 17:50

I saw the Who in Toronto last night. The were awesome. This was the 6th time seeing them and the best. Roger sounded great!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2829303132333435363738...LastNext
Current Page: 33 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1210
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home