Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: bam ()
Date: November 21, 2015 16:52

Rockman
Not as bad a Zepplin ... man has that stuff aged badly ....

+1. Though I was never a Zep fan from the beginning. Always thought it was overcooked and derivative.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 21, 2015 19:27

Any word if Joan Jett is still opening the rescheduled shows?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 21, 2015 19:56

kovach
Any word if Joan Jett is still opening the rescheduled shows?

Haven't heard. Hope so!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 21, 2015 20:27

whitem8
Rockman

With all the controversy over plagiarism aside, I totally disagree that they haven't aged well. Actually, I think they sound better now then I did in the 70s! I love cranking out their stuff loud. Some great stuff. Physical Graffiti is still an incredible piece of work. Their Exile.

Screw the plagiarism, they always seemed to make those tunes their own. Perhaps a bit of distaste for them not giving credit but the tunes were still awesome as they performed them. In any case I think Rockman's tastes lie a bit south of the 70's anyway, at least based on all the oldies he brings to the party.

But I'm not even sure what "aged badly" means. I can understand it in the case of say overproduced 80's pop that no one listens to anymore, or even some 50's and 60's music that is instantly recognizable for it's outdated style. But for me Zeppelin is timeless, good rock and roll just like the Stones. They are still hugely popular and lots of live rock shows still emulate their style in many ways. Even their first record still hold up, imo, aged well is more like it.

As far as The Who goes, perhaps some of their earlier stuff hasn't aged well but I can still put on Who's Next and enjoy the hell out of it.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 21, 2015 22:28

I have tickets for the postponed Vancouver show so I was hoping Joan Jett was still opening. She is now doing a tour with Heart and will be playing in Vancouver and nearby Abbotsford, which is actually closer for me. I will be going to see that show!

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 21, 2015 22:35

Naturalust
whitem8
Rockman

With all the controversy over plagiarism aside, I totally disagree that they haven't aged well. Actually, I think they sound better now then I did in the 70s! I love cranking out their stuff loud. Some great stuff. Physical Graffiti is still an incredible piece of work. Their Exile.

But for me Zeppelin is timeless, good rock and roll just like the Stones. They are still hugely popular and lots of live rock shows still emulate their style in many ways. Even their first record still hold up, imo, aged well is more like it.

I concur. I have several nieces and a nephew from age 32 down to 20, and they and their friends all got into Zeppelin at some point and love 'em (Beatles and Stones, too). We're talking kids born anywhere from 3 to 15 years after the group broke up! With that kind of multi-generational appeal, I would hardly consider their music "aging badly."

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: November 22, 2015 22:03

Anyone going to the Wembley Arena gig in February ? I had a look on Friday but only far away seats left.I've never been to the venue so no idea what sight lines and sound are like there. Annoyingly as per recent trends, there was a lengthy presale limited to Customers of the Sponsors so not really a fair chance for everyone.

And to PaulyWaul's delight winking smiley for sure, there are many premium tickets for sale on all the usual secondary sites at overinflated prices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-23 01:34 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: mr_c_ox ()
Date: November 23, 2015 00:33

I've sat at the back of Wembley area, saw the stones from their twice. The sight lines are fine.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: November 26, 2015 19:22

I'm in the process of collecting the Who Singles Box Sets (Brunswick, Reaction, Track and in spring, Polydor). Ive only just ordered the Brunswick set so it hasn't arrived yet. Has anyone listened to these, and if so what's your opinion? I'm hoping we get the original single mixes and not remixes put on vinyl.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 27, 2015 14:04

The Hyde Park DVD looks great; I just purchased the Shea Stadium show, and loved it! Thoe 1982 shows were mostly very high quality; Toronto, Shea, Cleveland and about half of the Dallas show are what I have on DVD; all are worthy.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 27, 2015 14:40

grzegorz67
Anyone going to the Wembley Arena gig in February ? I had a look on Friday but only far away seats left.I've never been to the venue so no idea what sight lines and sound are like there. Annoyingly as per recent trends, there was a lengthy presale limited to Customers of the Sponsors so not really a fair chance for everyone.

And to PaulyWaul's delight winking smiley for sure, there are many premium tickets for sale on all the usual secondary sites at overinflated prices.

To be expected ......... what else is new ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 1, 2015 16:23

Quadrophenia The Immersive Cinematic Experience LONDON - Tickets

Thu, 11/02/16, 19:15 Eventim Apollo
45 Queen Caroline Street, W6 9QH LONDON

Monday, 2 November 2015: British movie classic Quadrophenia is to become a fully immersive cinematic and theatrical experience, plunging fans into the sights and sounds of 1964 and capturing the spirit of the era.

Many of the film’s key stars will be taking part in the event, to be staged at London’s Eventim Apollo in Hammersmith on 11 February 2016, including Phil Daniels who took the central role as disaffected Mod teenager Jimmy Cooper. Joining Daniels will be other major names from the cast including Toyah Wilcox, Trevor Laird, Garry Cooper and Daniel Peacock, who together will share their memories in a Q&A to add an extra dimension.

In addition to a screening of the 1979 film, based on The Who’s double-album rock-opera released six years earlier, and the Q&A session, there will be staged re-enactments throughout the night of scenes from the film to conjure up the feel of the mid-60s era in which it is set. The all-important sounds of the day will be performed live by leading Who tribute act Who’s Who, and there will be an exclusive VIP after party with appearances from all the Q&A special guests, plus memorabilia including original Vespas and their real life Mod owners. As any self-respecting Mod knows, it is important to look your best at all times and there will be awards with great prizes for the guests in the “best threads”

[www.eventim.co.uk]

the who detroit
Posted by: jackflash1129 ()
Date: January 29, 2016 05:13

I'm considering getting a ticket to see The Who in Detroit near the end of February. I'm 23 years old, seen the stones in 05 and in 15, wowed by them both times. I'm a huge fan of The Who and never seen them. However, I have my reservations. I've heard that unlike the Stones, the Who have lost it, and are no longer worth seeing. I was hugely dissatisfied with their superbowl performance a few years back. I skipped out on a chance to see Dylan last year for the same reason. Am I making a mistake?

Re: the who detroit
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: January 29, 2016 05:15

You really should have seen Dylan last year...

Date: January 29, 2016 05:24

Yes I should have. But I saw Jeff Beck in May and with the stones in July I was financially pushing it. Ended up finishing the year with McCartney in October.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: January 29, 2016 05:30

I saw them in May, the show was good, but it's a shell of the Who. Roger gives it his all, but just doesn't have it anymore. Still glad I went.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 29, 2016 05:52

The Who are still good enough to seem very impressive to someone who's never seen them before. I was bored when I saw them a few years ago, but that's because I also saw them in the 1970s.

Posted by: REMBRANT ()
Date: January 29, 2016 06:04

they are still worth seeing... don't miss it ....you will regret it!!

the Superbowl show was mixed bad by the TV audio crew!!

the who still sounds great!! don't miss it.....

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: January 29, 2016 09:26

Wouldn't be out there otherwise

Posted by: Stonesfan62 ()
Date: January 29, 2016 10:52

Still worth seeing. I just think they plan too many concerts now. They should do 15-20 shows per year now

Date: January 29, 2016 11:30

jackflash1129 - go and see them, otherwise you will regret missing the opportunity. Sure, they may not be the force they once were, but still a great show.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 29, 2016 11:42

Anyone got The Hyde Park 2015 DVD ?

I got it back in U.K. but not back till March 5th.

Just missed the postman by one day otherwise would be playing it.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 29, 2016 13:25

jackflash1129
I'm considering getting a ticket to see The Who in Detroit near the end of February. I'm 23 years old, seen the stones in 05 and in 15, wowed by them both times. I'm a huge fan of The Who and never seen them. However, I have my reservations. I've heard that unlike the Stones, the Who have lost it, and are no longer worth seeing. I was hugely dissatisfied with their superbowl performance a few years back. I skipped out on a chance to see Dylan last year for the same reason. Am I making a mistake?

Go! Any chance to see Pete Townshend is worth the effort. You won't have many (if any) more chances.

Date: January 29, 2016 13:53

Love The Who! But this is off topic.

Date: January 29, 2016 19:50

Well if I go on a Who forum they are obviously biased. It's not off topic, because my whole point is that the stones have held up incredibly well over the years and Im just wondering if you guys thought the Who had also held up well, using the stones as a standard. It appears most of you think they are still worth seeing.

Date: January 29, 2016 19:59

Both bands are still remarkably great for their age, imo.

"The Who Detroit" is a pretty off topic thread title on a Stones forum, though. But thanks for the clarification.

Date: January 29, 2016 20:02

jackflash1129
Well if I go on a Who forum they are obviously biased. It's not off topic, because my whole point is that the stones have held up incredibly well over the years and Im just wondering if you guys thought the Who had also held up well, using the stones as a standard. It appears most of you think they are still worth seeing.

The Who is one of the greatest rock acts that are still around and I've never been able to see them yet. If I were you I wouldn't miss that concert.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 29, 2016 20:08

I do wish The Who would play South America after their North America Tour.

Would give me an excuse to go to different places I haven't been able to get to on The Stones Tour. thumbs up

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 29, 2016 20:19

crawdaddy
Anyone got The Hyde Park 2015 DVD ?

I got it back in U.K. but not back till March 5th.

Just missed the postman by one day otherwise would be playing it.

Never got the DVD, probably because ShowTime plays it frequently out here. It is taped on my DVR. Every time I watch it, I try to spot me and my friend as we were close to the boom camera in front of the sound booth.

Considering where you were crawdaddy, you should be an easy target to spot.

Anyway, forgetting about all that, I thought it was a great show, especially considering their age. And with the stories I heard about Daltry's voice, I thought he sounded fine.

Date: January 29, 2016 20:19

crawdaddy
I do wish The Who would play South America after their North America Tour.

Would give me an excuse to go to different places I haven't been able to get to on The Stones Tour. thumbs up

Yes!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2728293031323334353637...LastNext
Current Page: 32 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1576
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home