Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 5, 2015 11:23

So that would have been in...1982 ? Feels like a lifetime ago and Mick did comment a few times about that "farewell" tour...Not sure if there are any vids of that tour but I saw that they're releasing a Shea Stadium DVD, will make sure to check that out.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: May 5, 2015 11:31

I thought it was more like 89, but I forget... But they did the whole hullaballoo like the stupid Eagles and Kiss and other bands have done... but The Stones never played the "farewell tour" or Final tour" card, just to sell tickets.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 5, 2015 12:17

Nope, the "first" farewell tour was in 1982 : [www.rollingstone.com]

Some "nuggets" from that article :

"The guitarist wasn't willing to contemplate carrying on without Entwistle. "It would be Daltrey and Townshend," he said. "But, oh, it would not be the Who."

"Entwistle's threat to defect didn't sit well with the others. "If John feels that he couldn't even address himself to the prospect of doing recording, then of course we've got a problem," Townshend said. "He'll have to find about $1 million to give back to Warner Bros."

"The band have toured eight times since then. Five of those trips were after John Entwistle died. Their only new album was 2006's Endless Wire."

Well I suppose Townsend would say in his defence that he was a junkie at the time and couldn't think straight...

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-05 12:21 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: May 5, 2015 13:27

I have experienced cancellations of shows to which I travelled to myself and I feel sorry for everbody affected.

That being said, to cancel poor-selling shows is perfectly understandable. It's simple maths. And to accept a better offer on that very date makes it even more understandable.

It's not any band's fault if we have to reschedule travel plans. When I travel to a show I make sure that I can cancel both hotel and flights with a minimum of money to loose. I will be in Barcelona in October for U2, if they cancel two days before the show it'll cost me about 30 Euros. If they cancel on the day of the show(s) I will be in wonderful Barcelona and will be enjoying a free evening or two.

To the guy on honeymoon in Europe in June: To visit Paris on your honeymoon with your beloved wife - wow, I can't think of anything better. One of the most beautiful cities in the world. It can't get much better, Who-show or not. Enjoy!

Date: May 5, 2015 13:43

My first concert was Paris 2007, strange because i've been a fan for decades but never had the opportunity before (to much time and money on the Stones). I didn't expect a lot but much to my surprise the show was a killer and they blew up a packed arena.
Now i have to say i'm very sad because of their attitude. I still think about going to the postponed Paris concert but with mixed emotions. It won't be easy to forget all that crap and enjoy.
+ with Roger voice problems, i wouldn't bet a dime on their ability to play 3 concerts, Glasto Paris and Amsterdam in 4 days... We don't get any news from their %#*#@ website but i won't be surprised if Amsterdam happen to be postponed.

Date: May 5, 2015 13:56

Papo, i have to say i disagree. Cancelling a poor selling show is understandable? Come on, it's just a very cynical business.

Date: May 5, 2015 14:01

I can understand that you disagree, from the fan's perspective.

I have been organizing events for years. If the sales are poor, cancelling a show can save a lot of money.
You can better pay the artist and save the cost for the venue, the staff, taxes etc. than pay for everything.

I guess that in this case The Who and the local promoter agreed on cancelling two shows and rescheduling just one show - and that both are happy with it.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: May 5, 2015 15:12

From a Dutch Who forum

Het management van The Who laat per mail weten: “Paris will be on Tuesday 30th June now instead of the two on 28th and 29th. Amsterdam changed from July 1st to July 2nd“.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 5, 2015 15:12

I also beg to disagree. In my book, a show announcement signals a commitment to play for fans, except in case of force majeure, which doesn't include playing instead at an alternative venue.

But now it seems I've been labouring under a misconception all these years and should adjust my thinking to one that says a band and/or promoter is quite ready to screw fans out of their desire to see the band play if sales are under par. It's not the fans' problem if a show doesn't sell as well as hoped and if it doesn't, then the band and whoever else should live with that and honour their commitment - and fans would respect them for that. The wasted travel arrangements etc. are an annoying inconvenience to be swallowed but hardly the major factor in the equation. In any case, Were the sales really that dismal?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 5, 2015 16:04

Jumpinjackflash59
keefriffhard4life
DoomandGloom
What do you expect from a band that played a show before their bassist was burried? They lost me then...... I've watched clips, they sound mediocre,

not really fair to say. i'm sure the band would have had to pay a ton to break a contract and not play. once there was some contract dispute over an aerosmith show and the band got sued for something like 6 million dollars for not playing. it was all resolved but still
+1. Pino Paladino was obviously ready and John had been warned not to tour by doctors. It seems obvious that there was a B plan till the beginning and that it was part of the contract.
Stones have postponed for lesser reasons. The WHO just xled dates to play somewhere else but the played over John's funeral. I find this one of the biggest atrocities in classic rock history. I may visit the tour, Brooklyn seats are down to 65 bucks and there are many.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 5, 2015 16:07

The Who postpones shows at Sprint Center, two other cities

[www.kansascity.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 5, 2015 16:24

<<The WHO... played over John's funeral. I find this one of the biggest atrocities in classic rock history.>>

And how would you classify the Stones doing Hyde Park '69 just 2 days after Brian died?

Perhaps Daltrey should have worn a white dress while they released butterflies in honor of the Ox?

Date: May 5, 2015 16:39

stonehearted
<<The WHO... played over John's funeral. I find this one of the biggest atrocities in classic rock history.>>

And how would you classify the Stones doing Hyde Park '69 just 2 days after Brian died?

Perhaps Daltrey should have worn a white dress while they released butterflies in honor of the Ox?
pretty cold.. Brian was out of the band and the funeral was done but still... Hyde Pk is not in my minds eye as it's before I was a fan. The idea in Who land that says John got what he deserved or betrayed his mates is bizarre.

Date: May 5, 2015 17:00

Beast
I also beg to disagree. In my book, a show announcement signals a commitment to play for fans, except in case of force majeure, which doesn't include playing instead at an alternative venue.

But now it seems I've been labouring under a misconception all these years and should adjust my thinking to one that says a band and/or promoter is quite ready to screw fans out of their desire to see the band play if sales are under par.

It's just business!

A promoter is responsible for his own business, that includes the people who work for him and their jobs, too. If there is a way out of a contract for a show that doesn't sell well, you HAVE to take it.

Example given: I once booked a popular ensemble for a 1000-seats theatre. The prize tag for the band was roughly 20.000 Euro. Tickets were about 40 Euros, you could not ask for more at that place. Additional costs for the venue,GEMA, staff, ticketing, accomodation etc. were about 17.000 Euro. The show was a sellout and we made about 3000 Euro from it. If just 10% of the tickets had remained unsold, it would have been a close call.

I still have that contract at home. In case of a cancellation for weeks before the show, we would have had to pay the band 10.000 Euro. And saved 17.000 Euro. So if we had sold just 50% of the tickets and did the show, our loss would have been about 27.000 Euros. And only 10.000 Euros if we had cancelled. It's simple maths.

And it works the same way on a bigger scale. A friend of mine is a promoter for a large festival. He has to sell at least 90% of the tickets - or he'll lose money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-05 17:11 by Papo.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: May 5, 2015 20:58

reg thorpe
Yeah, no show in St Louis for me! Damn

[www.kansascity.com]

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 5, 2015 22:57

DrPete
reg thorpe
Yeah, no show in St Louis for me! Damn

[www.kansascity.com]

hang in there..they'll be back

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 5, 2015 23:26

<<pretty cold.. Brian was out of the band and the funeral was done but still...>>

No, the funeral was July 10, five days after the concert and two of the band members didn't even go. Now, that could be perceived as "pretty cold".

Yes, Brian was out of the band, but without Brian there never would have been a band to begin to begin with, so, "but still..."

<<Hyde Pk is not in my minds eye as it's before I was a fan.>>

But it still happened.

<<The idea in Who land that says John got what he deserved or betrayed his mates is bizarre.>>

I'm unaware of this opinion, but if it exists I don't quite agree with it. Rather than what he deserved, it seems to be more something he should have expected. His doctor told him he shouldn't tour, he was on medication for a heart condition, he was 57 years old, and he was partying with cocaine. He was going to go sooner rather than later. Some people aren't here for a long time, they're here for a good time.

The show must go on. It did after Moon died--the only difference was they weren't under contract right at the beginning of a tour. I'm sure John would understand, and not want them to stop just because his decades of hedonism finally got the better of him.

<<I find this one of the biggest atrocities in classic rock history.>>

As far as atrocities go, I'd rate Altamont a bit higher. That, and the career of Meatloaf.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: May 5, 2015 23:45

This does NOT sound good for The Who OR their fans. I'd bet there is very little information coming out of The Who camp and the Website because Pete and the rest are absolutely floored by Roger's physical and vocal problems. I could sense something was not 100% with Roger at the Austin show. He moved slowly and seemed "stiff". He's obviously feeling discomfort AND his vocal chords and voice are not as strong as we had hoped after his surgery. If THAT's what they're admitting I'll bet there's a LOT more that they're NOT telling us. If they're having problems with Roger THIS early in the tour I don't know how they're ever going to make it to the finish line. It looks like the shows were packed too close together to maximize profits but Roger's voice probably needs at least a week between shows. Now the wheels are falling off the cart right before our very eyes. It's sad. I'm surprised there's not some medication that could be injected into Roger's throat to reduce the swelling and get him on stage. I guess "The Show Must Go On" is an idea that belongs to the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-05 23:49 by Bungo.

Date: May 6, 2015 00:51

Beast
In any case, Were the sales really that dismal?

I'm sorry to come back to Paris shows, as i see that now US fans are also disappointed because of postoned or cancelled shows, but you get a point Beast.
The fact is that the first Paris show was SOLD OUT. The second was not, but we don't know how much tixs were still available (and we'll never know).
Even if I try to understand Papo's position, an "honest" move would have been to find a credible way to cancel the second concert which MAYBE... turned into a bad deal for the promotor. Kindoff, sorry, 3 shows in four days is too much for Rog's voice (which is not really a lie considering what happens in USA), we @#$%& up when we planned the tour. Apologises. The fans would have been disappointed but not that angry.
As far as i understand the situation, the Who got a better offer from Glastonbury Festival (call it more money or more glory or both), end of the story.
As a "customer" i won't loose a dime, i planned to go to Paris by car and to crash at my daughter's place. As a fan, this lack of respect and honesty from my second favorit band of all times is very sad.

Posted by: mistermorphine ()
Date: May 6, 2015 05:28

Disappointed in the postponement of KC, we traveled about 4 hours on Monday had a room in the power and light district just blocks from the sprint center. But what is even more disappointing is there was no contact from AXS, fan club, etc on the postponement, we only found out by seeing on the late news in KC. Had a VIP package and had we not seen it on the news we would of been standing at the venue tonight. Not the bands fault and hope the throat gets better and they come back around and it is at a time we can attend.
Get better quick Roger

Date: May 6, 2015 05:39

If RD is losing his voice it's little surprise. He been an acrobatic singer, belting out and jumping octaves like no other LV. Is it sad? Nah, he's had a great run. I was at Shea Stadium and am happy about the release, it should dispel the talk of the Kenny Jones era being second rate. During Magic Bus Hendrix enters PT. It's been talked about by PT it is rock's #1 paranormal moment.weirdest thing I ever saw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-06 05:43 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 6, 2015 06:20

DoomandGloom
During Magic Bus Hendrix enters PT. It's been talked about by PT it is rock's #1 paranormal moment.weirdest thing I ever saw.

Except all the times God himself entered Jimi...winking smiley Any footage available of this Hendrix enters Pete moment you are referring to? Thanks.

peace

Date: May 6, 2015 06:38

DoomandGloom
Jumpinjackflash59
keefriffhard4life
DoomandGloom
What do you expect from a band that played a show before their bassist was burried? They lost me then...... I've watched clips, they sound mediocre,

not really fair to say. i'm sure the band would have had to pay a ton to break a contract and not play. once there was some contract dispute over an aerosmith show and the band got sued for something like 6 million dollars for not playing. it was all resolved but still
+1. Pino Paladino was obviously ready and John had been warned not to tour by doctors. It seems obvious that there was a B plan till the beginning and that it was part of the contract.
Stones have postponed for lesser reasons. The WHO just xled dates to play somewhere else but the played over John's funeral. I find this one of the biggest atrocities in classic rock history. I may visit the tour, Brooklyn seats are down to 65 bucks and there are many.

but without the signed contracts and tour insurance forms we can not speculate that what the stones have done would have been just as easy for the who to do.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 6, 2015 07:05

Well if you read this (which I am in the early hours of Wednesday 6th May) - it doesn't seem as if it is fully confirmed that the WHO will be headlining Glastonbury on Sunday 28th. The wording of the article is such that it acknowledges the rumours, but stresses that it's by no means confirmed. Also, there is STILL no official word from either the band themselves or the French promoter, and that is either because there's nothing to announce if the rumour is untrue, and the worst case imaginable of absent-mindedness if it is !!!

[www.musictimes.com]

Glastonbury's 2015 lineup hasn't been fully revealed yet, leading many to speculate on what act will close out the music festival's final night, and British daily The Sun reports that its sources indicate The Who will be the final act. The festival has yet to comment on the situation but it seems fitting that one of the great live acts of all time will close out Glastonbury in its homeland as part of its final (and 50th anniversary) major tour.

"The Who booking has been kept quiet because the band are also playing a Hyde Park gig for the British Summer Time festival so the announcement will be made in a few weeks," reported the unnamed source cited by the paper. "There'll also be support from an artist like Paul Weller or Noel Gallagher. It will be a dream night for rock fans."

We don't need to explain to you that the lineup is far from set. The Sun is a London tabloid—which isn't to say it's completely unreliable—but it can also get away with using unnamed sources. Not to mention there's the huge logistical issue of the band being scheduled to perform a show in Paris on June 28, the final night of the festival. The source claims it will work to reschedule the show in France but again, nothing's for certain.

Michael Eavis, the main festival organizer, has said that the final act will be revealed on June 1, so those with tickets will have to deal with the suspense until then. He did also give a statement to back up The Who claims, suggesting that the final headliner will be British.

So far two of the headliners have been announced: Kanye West and the Foo Fighters. A huge number of British music fans (although not necessarily Glasto ticket-holders) made a stink when the rapper was announced among the headliners, and one would like to think they'll be pacified by more straightforward rockers such as the Foo and Who holding down the festival's other nights.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: albop ()
Date: May 6, 2015 09:56

Now it's official :

[thewho.com]

I received this morning a newsletter from The Who website with this :

"THE WHO, one of rock’s legendary and defining bands has today announced that they are to headline the sold out Glastonbury Festival on Sunday June 28 – eight years after they first played there"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-06 10:42 by albop.

Date: May 6, 2015 10:13

2 days ago i received a mail about Paris cancellation. Now i get this one. Yeah right, very classy...

Date: May 6, 2015 11:15

albop
Now it's official :

[thewho.com]

I received this morning a newsletter from The Who website with this :

"THE WHO, one of rock’s legendary and defining bands has today announced that they are to headline the sold out Glastonbury Festival on Sunday June 28 – eight years after they first played there"

Yup indeed, and I also received this from the promoter of the Paris shows ....

Due to the announcement of their presence to headline the GLASTONBURY festival on Sunday June 28th, 2015, THE WHO has had to postpone their Parisian show originally scheduled at the Zenith on Sunday the 28th and Monday the 29th of June.

The legendary act will now appear in France, still at the Paris Zenith, in a unique performance on Tuesday 30th June 2015 at 08.00pm, to celebrate their fiftieth career anniversary.

Beware, tickets for the original shows will not be valid for the new show. Fans who may not attend the new scheduled date can get refund for their tickets at the point of purchase.

Fans who have already bought tickets and who could make it on June 30th, must exchange their tickets at the point of purchase. They can benefit of a priority access until May 14th included, in each ticket outlet.

The remaining tickets for the June 30th show will be available in all usual outlets from Friday May 15th at 10.00am, within the limits of available stocks.

The band THE LAST INTERNATIONALE will open the show.
Founded by New York City natives Delila Paz and Edgey Pires, The Last Internationale quickly forged a reputation for poetic, socially conscious songs and explosive live performances. The Last Internationale's debut album - Brendan O'Brien (Bruce Springsteen, Pearl Jam, Neil Young) - was released by Epic Records earlier in 2014.

Gérard Drouot Productions - +33(0)1.44.94.91.50 - [email protected]

Date: May 6, 2015 11:20

O well .... good thing I saw them twice in March, at the O2 and at the Royal Albert Hall, because it's only gonna be Hyde Park for me this summer. F**ked if I'm going to bother scrabbling around trying to reorganise Eurostar train bookings and bed & breakfast places in Paris - just gonna take the refund.

I'm still rather amazed that they've actually pulled this stunt, but what the hell ... it is what it is and I ain't gonna lose any sleep over it.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 6, 2015 11:36

I just got this message:
The Who concert in the Ziggo Dome, Amsterdam moved from Wednesday 1 July 2015 to a day later, on Thursday 2 July 2015. The location remains unchanged.

Posted by: barney57 ()
Date: May 6, 2015 13:45

I got the same mail as Runaway and it means that I have to skip The Who. On 2nd of July I'm flying to the USA to see the Stones in Detroit and Buffalo.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728...LastNext
Current Page: 23 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1577
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home