Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: Han ()
Date: March 2, 2015 15:02

SimonN
Hi Han,

If you would like the ticket then drop me a line: simon@nicholl90.fsnet.co.uk

Cheers,

Simon.

Email in the post >grinning smiley<

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: March 2, 2015 19:20

SimonN
Hi Han,

Cheers,

Simon.

I caught you touting Si! Its ok-- just taking the piss out of you...enjoy the evening thumbs up

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: March 2, 2015 19:46

PTownshend
SimonN
Hi Han,

Cheers,

Simon.

I caught you touting Si! Its ok-- just taking the piss out of you...enjoy the evening thumbs up

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 7, 2015 20:22

Maybe I will be travelling to Europe in Juny, but I really don't like big venues. Maybe Le Zenith? What do you recommend? Almost 7.000 places. First time in Europe, and first Who time!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-07 20:28 by dandelion1967.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 9, 2015 09:51

dandelion1967
Maybe I will be travelling to Europe in Juny, but I really don't like big venues. Maybe Le Zenith? What do you recommend? Almost 7.000 places. First time in Europe, and first Who time!

I'm going to both Le Zenith shows, never been to that venue but as you say - it is relatively small. The WHO in a small place are ALWAYS worth seeing, you should go thumbs up

I saw them in the Shepherds Bush Empire for their millennium gig in December 1999, there's a bootleg of that show. Simply outrageous ... hot smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: March 9, 2015 22:28

the venue is small but the amps will not be turned down accordingly

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 9, 2015 22:43

I will be in London when the who play Hyde Park. as of a few weeks ago there were tickets left in several sections. While I'd love to see the who in London, standing for a few acts before the Who hit the stage hurts my legs just thinking about it. If I buy a general ticket and arrive for the act before the Who, will I be so far back that it won't even be worth it?

Date: March 9, 2015 23:47

PTownshend
the venue is small but the amps will not be turned down accordingly

Well thank you for the reassurance kind sir, my friends and I are greatly comforted by this ....... hot smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 14, 2015 01:44

I've just bought a ticket to see the Who for the very 1st time. March 22nd at the O2 in London and I got the 5th row of the middle front section (A2).

Sooo excited. I plan to see my main band winking smiley in San Diego & LA if I possibly can but this will keep me going until then.

What should I expect ? As a 1st timer I want to hear THEIR warhorses for the 1st time, just as I did with the Stones back at my 1st show ever (Wembley 1990).

Posted by: DD ()
Date: March 14, 2015 03:10

grzegorz67
I've just bought a ticket to see the Who for the very 1st time. March 22nd at the O2 in London and I got the 5th row of the middle front section (A2).

Sooo excited. I plan to see my main band winking smiley in San Diego & LA if I possibly can but this will keep me going until then.

What should I expect ? As a 1st timer I want to hear THEIR warhorses for the 1st time, just as I did with the Stones back at my 1st show ever (Wembley 1990).

What should you expect? I went to the Royal Albert Hall show in November 2000, my first time seeing them. The Albert Hall is, to an extent, in the round, and I was actually behind the band. It was a real education in how a band works; I felt like I was watching from backstage. And it was sensational. I was particularly struck by how good Pete is, especially on the acoustic songs. The show was performed in aid of the Teenage Cancer Trust and was issued on DVD; I reccommend it unreservedly. Just play it loud.

Declan

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 14, 2015 18:21

paulywaul
dandelion1967

I'm going to both Le Zenith shows, never been to that venue but as you say - it is relatively small. The WHO in a small place are ALWAYS worth seeing, you should go thumbs up

I saw them in the Shepherds Bush Empire for their millennium gig in December 1999, there's a bootleg of that show. Simply outrageous ... hot smiley

Got my ticket! If you see a guy in the Fosse wearing a Boca Juniors jersey with an Argentinian flag it's me! I just can't wait for my first ever Who show! Hope not to die from a heart attack just for having Pete and Roger right in front of me!

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 23, 2015 14:22

Here's the setlist from their show last night at the O2 in London:

I Can't Explain
Substitute
The Seeker
Who Are You
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
Pictures of Lily
So Sad About Us
My Generation
Behind Blue Eyes
Join Together
I'm One
Love, Reign O'er Me
Slip Kid
A Quick One (While He's Away)
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Listening to You
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again
Magic Bus

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 23, 2015 15:00

Whew! That is quite a set list. Fantastic! So how was the show? Can you give a review?? I love So Sad About Us! Great to see them pull that out. Also Pictures of Lily. And another go around with Slip Kid. Good to see.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: March 23, 2015 16:14

Great set list! Love Pete's playing but just can't take Rogers voice anymore. Too bad because a show with that set list done in the 70's would have been incredible.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: March 23, 2015 16:37

Mr.D

I Can't Explain
Substitute
The Seeker
Who Are You
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
Pictures of Lily
So Sad About Us
My Generation
Behind Blue Eyes
Join Together
I'm One
Love, Reign O'er Me
Slip Kid
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Listening to You
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again
Magic Bus

Almost the same setlist of the late 2014 UK tour (which should have ended with these two gigs). The 3 Quadrophenia warhorses, though, were left out (The Real Me, 5:15, Bellboy).

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: March 23, 2015 16:48

Mr.D

I Can't Explain
Substitute
The Seeker
Who Are You
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
Pictures of Lily
So Sad About Us
My Generation
Behind Blue Eyes
Join Together
I'm One
Love, Reign O'er Me
Slip Kid
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Listening to You
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again
Magic Bus

So Sad About Us? I can think of dozens of songs in it's place

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 23, 2015 17:27

THE WHO JOIN TOGETHER WITH 02 FAITHFUL

“It’s supposed to be fun!” said Roger Daltrey in his last words of the show. For more than two hours at London’s The 02 last night, this celebration of The Who’s 50th anniversary had been all that and more.

The band’s two concerts in the capital were intended as the culmination of the UK leg of their anniversary, last December. Instead, after Daltrey’s throat infection caused their postponement, they became the first night of the tour’s new phase, ahead of a first North American leg next month, more European shows including Barclaycard Presents British Summer Time Hyde Park in June, then another run through North America from September.

What thrilled Pete Townshend, as he thanked The Who’s steadfast audience for staying with them, was that there had been hardly any returns from the original London dates. The wait was immensely worthwhile — not for any technical perfection, the band understandably still knocking off a little rust after that hiatus — but for the engaging spirit of bonhomie engendered by the two figureheads.

That was especially so in the context of a set list offering not only their mighty staples, but some lesser-performed gems, all illustrated with stunning backdrop visuals. Both looking almost absurdly limber for half a century in, Townshend and Daltrey are road-hardened campaigners who have seen and survived everything. Last night, their spontaneous rapport bordered at times on the knockabout.

“The set list is interesting tonight,” said Daltrey at one point. “Why?” asked Townshend. “Because I’m trying to remember it,” came Roger’s instant reply. “Lots of words. Too many! Why couldn’t you have written easy stuff?” “’Cos I’m an intellectual,” deadpanned Pete.

Visually, the show has seized the anniversary by expanding on the retrospective themes of their last British dates, during which I saw them give a stunning performance at this venue 21 months ago. Sonically, the current augmentation of the live band encouraged far greater use of harmony vocals and, in turn, some fascinating adjustments to the setlist.

Here, then, was an opening barrage from the early days of ‘I Can’t Explain’ and ‘Substitute’; trips to either end of the ‘70s for ‘The Seeker’ and ‘Who Are You’; then the further formative memories of ‘The Kids Are Alright’ and one that Townshend told us he was especially proud of, ‘I Can See For Miles.’ That mid-1960s period also offered a charming ‘So Sad About Us’ and, later, the intricacy of the nine-minute mini-opera from the same album, ‘A Quick One (While He’s Away).’

The ‘Who By Numbers’ opener ‘Slip Kid’ was another welcome revival, and there was a ‘Tommy’ taster, with ‘Amazing Journey/Sparks’ followed by ‘See Me Feel Me.’ The still-magnificent ‘Baba O’Reilly’ and ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’ could have been the conclusion, but there was still a rough and ready journey on the ‘Magic Bus’ to take us home.

Earlier, Daltrey had asked us to join together with the band. That connection is like no other artist-audience relationship, and they’ll be underlining that yet again for the rest of 2015.

Words: Paul Sexton

[www.udiscovermusic.com]

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: March 23, 2015 19:11

It was a great gig with the Miles / Lily / So Sad About Us triple whammy particularly strong - fabulous harmonies. Plus I bumped into John and Frank from the band this morning and had a 20 minute chat with them, charming gents. Apparently some small changes to the setlist tonight, hope everyone has a great time.

Date: March 24, 2015 12:36

I can't explain...........quite how good that gig was last night. Over 2 hours of stupendous rock, played with an attitude harking back to the early days of The Who. Roger's voice was extraordinarily good, Pete was at his windmilling best and Zak was giving his drumkit no mercy! Shouldn't forget Pino, Simon and the rest of the band, providing their "Beach Boy" harmonies (to quote PT), who all joined to create a setlist of classic tracks. I also loved the graphics behind the stage which complimented the songs nicely.

To all of you in the USA.......get on that Magic Bus and catch The Who this summer, they are playing in a town near you!

Date: March 24, 2015 13:02

Manofwealthandtaste
I can't explain...........quite how good that gig was last night. Over 2 hours of stupendous rock, played with an attitude harking back to the early days of The Who. Roger's voice was extraordinarily good, Pete was at his windmilling best and Zak was giving his drumkit no mercy! Shouldn't forget Pino, Simon and the rest of the band, providing their "Beach Boy" harmonies (to quote PT), who all joined to create a setlist of classic tracks. I also loved the graphics behind the stage which complimented the songs nicely.

To all of you in the USA.......get on that Magic Bus and catch The Who this summer, they are playing in a town near you!

thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up thumbs up hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 24, 2015 13:05

Here's the set list from last night O2 finale:

I Can't Explain
Substitute
The Seeker
Who Are You
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
Pictures of Lily
My Generation
Magic Bus
Behind Blue Eyes
Join Together
You Better You Bet
I'm One
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
So Sad About Us
Amazing Journey
Pinball Wizard
Sparks
See Me, Feel Me
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again

Date: March 24, 2015 13:34

I saw the Who for the 1st time in my life on Sunday night. I scooped a 5th row floor ticket from the official site, 9 days before the show.

A wonderful evening's entertainment with some great banter between Rodge & Pete and with the audience. Explanations of the background to their songs beforehand including 'Pictures of Lily' which Pete described in very plain language indeed winking smiley

The big screen graphics were tremendous too and the stage setup uncomplicated.

Their backing band were good too. There was a relaxed informality about it all and Roger smiled his way through it all. I feel sad that I haven't seen them before now. They are the 2nd favourite band of many a Stones fan and it's easy to see why.

I want to see them in Hyde Park now.

User PTownshend, if it really is you, thank you for a fantastic evening and take (another) bow, good sir. Your wee pal Rog sang very well indeed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-24 13:41 by grzegorz67.

Date: March 24, 2015 13:48

Last night was my first ever The Who gig and I thought they were absolutely incredible. Seriously powerful stuff. Roger sounded fantastic and Pete is one of the best guitarists I think I'll ever see - a combination of great playing, attitude and intensity. The whole band were very impressive.

There was also some brilliant banter from the fellas, including Pete telling us how he was once told off for his on stage behaviour on Top of the Pops...by none other than that miscreant Jimmy Savile! Blimey.

A truly great gig.

Date: March 24, 2015 13:54

Yep, I've been as high as a kite since my show on Sunday night. Roger's voice was excellent but I do doubt the wisdom of a 71 year old man singing a 2 hour concert 2 nights on the trot. Our Mick gave that up years ago!

Good to here the great man's voice held up well for the 2nd night anyway.

Date: March 24, 2015 14:04

grzegorz67
Yep, I've been as high as a kite since my show on Sunday night. Roger's voice was excellent but I do doubt the wisdom of a 71 year old man singing a 2 hour concert 2 nights on the trot. Our Mick gave that up years ago!

Yes, agree.....what I heard from speaking to people after the show, and who were at both gigs, was that last night's performance had the edge on Sunday's.

Date: March 24, 2015 14:10

Manofwealthandtaste
grzegorz67

Yes, agree.....what I heard from speaking to people after the show, and who were at both gigs, was that last night's performance had the edge on Sunday's.

That's to be expected to be fair as they had some rust to knock off after 3 months of no live performances. They are clearly a band who like to connect with their audience.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 24, 2015 14:34

Cool setlists. I'm happy that this tour is basically what it should be, and a lot more based off rarities like Quick One and Slip Kid than Roger said they'd be (he even said we're not gonna play stuff like Slip Kid!)

Date: March 24, 2015 17:42

I've come on here today specifically to say how brilliant last night's show was (despite it being at my least favourite London venue). Fantastic from beginning to end, great chat and banter as many on here have said, thunderous rock n' roll and no sign of any problem with playing two nights on the spin.

As grzegorz67 says above; if you are who you claim to be on here, PTownshend, we thank you.

Declan

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 24, 2015 18:18

Hope to see some of you guys at Hyde Park on June 26th. Couldn't make O2 gigs or RAH but looking forward to June with Paul Weller and Vintage Trouble also on the bill. smileys with beer

Date: March 24, 2015 18:51

Actually, one thing which would have been nice; despite the fact that the setlist contained many songs I'd never heard live before, it would have been great to hear Be Lucky. I reckon they'd have made a good job of that. Minor carp, obviously.

Declan

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1112131415161718192021...LastNext
Current Page: 16 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home