Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: PhilipStaniforth ()
Date: November 28, 2014 23:25

My tickets for Friday 5th December at Nottingham arrived yesterday.

I'm getting quite excited now, I saw the Who 25 years ago but I was a bit disappointed. I'm hoping they are a bit less "Vegas" than last time.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 29, 2014 06:22

PhilipStaniforth

I'm getting quite excited now, I saw the Who 25 years ago but I was a bit disappointed. I'm hoping they are a bit less "Vegas" than last time.

Good luck with your show...I also saw the Who, probably the same tour I think it was 1988 in Vancouver. Brutal show, just awful. Dylan the same year also quite bad.

Have seen Dylan since and he was great, haven't seen the Who again though.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 29, 2014 14:22

andrea66
maybe it has been discussed before, but is there any european (not uk ) date in the next tour ?
or are they going to say hallo to everybody except us ?

TWO great shows in Europe that you should not miss if have an opportunity, at Le Zenith in Paris. Sunday 28th and Monday 29th June 2015 - the first is just two days after they headline Hyde Park.

Tickets available here:

[www.gdp.fr]

Le Zenith seating plan from their website:

[www.le-zenith.com]

Going to see the WHO three times in four days in late June 2015 .... yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

And all for less than the price of ONE ticket to see the RS in March 2014 - albeit that it was THE gig of all time for me personally, Shanghai/China. And so it f***ing well should have been, for £880. Yes, you DID read that correctly, it WAS EIGHT HUNDRED AND EIGHTY ENGLISH POUNDS !!!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: November 29, 2014 15:35

treaclefingers
PhilipStaniforth

Good luck with your show...I also saw the Who, probably the same tour I think it was 1988 in Vancouver. Brutal show, just awful. Dylan the same year also quite bad.

88-89 were awful... useless tour. I recall one music critic in my country. a serious guy not running for sensations, giving his gig experience the title "A disgrace that shames the original".

All shows I've seen since 2000 were, though, great.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 29, 2014 16:51

Seeing as The Who are gonna hit Glasgow tomorrow (Sunday), I've been trying to remember the 3 gigs I saw in the '70's with original lineup.

Last I remember was Empire Pool Wembley when they all came out on stage and Keith doing somersaults and cartwheels before he jumped up to his drumkit.

Not gonna see the likes of that on this tour ,but great to look back at his last live gig performance.

Keiths' Last Gig.

Date: November 29, 2014 21:37

Wroclaw
treaclefingers
PhilipStaniforth

88-89 were awful... useless tour. I recall one music critic in my country. a serious guy not running for sensations, giving his gig experience the title "A disgrace that shames the original".
All shows I've seen since 2000 were, though, great.

Agreed. I saw The Who during the last show of their six show run in '96 at the Garden (MSG) promoting the reissue of Quadrophenia. I honestly thought they pretty much sucked. Huge backing band and Townshend played mostly acoustic guitar(saying it had somthing to do with his Tinnitus) Although he did break out and play his electric guitar briefly towards the end. I saw them again in 2000 and they were 10X better!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-29 21:45 by its good to be anywhere.

Date: November 29, 2014 22:10

I've seen them 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years and they are playing great.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. >grinning smiley<

Date: November 30, 2014 11:36

crawdaddy
I've seen them 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years and they are playing great.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. >grinning smiley<

Yep, I'd go along with that. The way the WHO are currently playing, don't miss 'em.

Date: November 30, 2014 19:47

Looks like Roger warmed up for the gig tonight, at a wedding last night.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 1, 2014 01:33

They played "A Quick One" and "Slip Kid" tonight. Probably the first performance of AQO since the early 70s. They even used a stage backdrop that looked a little like the set from Rock And Roll Circus. Interesting.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-01 01:47 by tatters.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 1, 2014 01:40

November 30 - SSE Hydro, Glasgow

@Horace_Austin

@Horace_Austin

Encore was 'Naked Eye'.

[twitter.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-01 03:24 by bye bye johnny.

Date: December 1, 2014 02:03

A short tease of the final section, "You Are Forgiven", was used to end a concert at the Wembley Arena on 16 November 2000. That was the first time any part of the song was played live by The Who since 1970, and also the last time so far. Pete Townshend played the song in its entirety on several dates of his 1993 PSYCHODERELICT solo tour.

The song was rehearsed for inclusion in The Who's 2006/2007 North American Tour, but was not part of any set list.

Date: December 1, 2014 02:56

Audio for "A Quick One" and some photos from the show.

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-01 04:03 by tatters.

Re: O.T. The Who World Tour starting U.K. before Christmas.
Posted by: dougingb ()
Date: December 1, 2014 03:10

Can't wait to see them October 13 in Milwaukee!!!

Date: December 1, 2014 03:52

wow great setlist. i need to catch them. still shocked though nothing from endless wire

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 1, 2014 06:30

<<still shocked though nothing from endless wire>>

I believe "Mini-Opera" refers to that short set of connected songs that was released ahead of the album, the full title of which is Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera.

Date: December 1, 2014 08:16

stonehearted
<<still shocked though nothing from endless wire>>

I believe "Mini-Opera" refers to that short set of connected songs that was released ahead of the album, the full title of which is Wire & Glass: A Mini-Opera.

mini opera refers to a quick one which was confirmed to be played but not on that setlist

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: December 1, 2014 10:16

I will be thrilled if they play that setlist when my turn to see them again rolls around.

Date: December 1, 2014 10:46

Beast
I will be thrilled if they play that setlist when my turn to see them again rolls around.

No kidding, WHAT a setlist !! Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurv the WHO hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: December 1, 2014 12:27

So far the Glasgow uploads from last night's gig show that this is about to be a great (another) "Greatest hits they you like them" + some digging into the catalog.

Behing Blue eyes a bit weak (Rogers voice). The rest are great.

Right were those who advised me that Glasgow people make a great crowd, but them I'm destined to test the Newcastle and Liverpool people instead...

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 2, 2014 02:29

I Can't Explain
Substitute
The Kids Are Alright
I Can See for Miles
Who Are You
Long Live Rock
A Quick One (While He's Away)
Slip Kid
Join Together
Behind Blue Eyes
Squeeze Box
The Seeker
5:15
Bell Boy
Love, Reign O'er Me
Eminence Front
Cry If You Want
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Pinball Wizard
See Me, Feel Me
Magic Bus
Baba O'Riley
Won't Get Fooled Again
Encore:
Naked Eye

WOW! What a setlist! Ok, I am shocked they pulled out A Quick One! Amazing and would have loved to hear how that sounded. Also Cry if You Want and Naked Eye. Very cool. Great write up Simon and thanks for sharing. Shit! Would have loved to have been there!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 2, 2014 02:41

Where are all the comments about too many warhorses? smiling smiley

I like The Who but am not a huge fan, so I don't know alot of their deep album tracks. I'm looking forward to the Vancouver show next year since I'll know almost every song! Conversely, I would love to see a Stones show with no warhorses!

Date: December 2, 2014 05:17

whitem8

WOW! What a setlist! Ok, I am shocked they pulled out A Quick One! Amazing and would have loved to hear how that sounded.

It sounded like this! smiling smiley

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-02 05:18 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 2, 2014 05:18

Actually there are quite a lot of gems in this set list. The Seeker, I Can See for Miles, Cry if You Want, Join Together have all be played but rarely. A Quick One, I don't think that has been played since 1969/70! Slip Kid, not since 75 and even then I think only once or twice! Naked Eye, played a lot for recent tours but certainly not considered a warhorse. Long Live Rock another rare one, and only regularly done on the 79 tour. A damn fine set list!

O/T The Who at The Hydro, Glasgow. Sunday 30th November, 2014.
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: December 1, 2014 18:29

Hello,

It was great to walk in to the Hydro with no search which meant no camera drama and after getting an ale I hear someone call my name out and it's only Jayne (the much better-half of Alec) who are Moon-era fans and who I see purely by chance at every Who show, hah-hah! Nice to catch-up, and the same applies to Gordon and his son. Between the two of us, I think we had this show covered, media-wise!
I was also lucky to have two seats free beside me: room to roam is a luxury ! On the other side was a lady of senior years who last saw the band in 1969. We agreed that it was a different proposition nowadays. Masters of understatement...

Right from the start Dalts was on point: to paraphrase the band's own movie 'The Kids Are Alright', the singer wants everything to be a big laugh and when it isn't he gets terribly upset. Why mention this? Well, he was a tad distracted, if not annoyed by PT missing a couple of cues although this was cause for merriment during the rarely aired 'Long Live Rock'. I absolutely sang my nuts off to that one, hah-hah! Mind you, PT got the lyrics wrong back in 1973 on The Whistle Test, so he has previous...
The wheels came off momentarily during '5.15' I think (feel free to correct me, anyone)...I think Pete missed a cue which threw Rog and I could hear him shout to Zak, "I don't know where the f**K I am!". I was savvy enough to realise that now was not the time to shout "The SSE Hydro, you cockney tw*t!" by way of reply, ahem. You would have thought that an old ham like Rog would bluff his way through this but the real reason for his outburst was that "...the sound up here is f**king terrible...I can't hear anything...Simon, sort it out!". No, not my fault this time but I don't think that Rog calling-out a tech would endear him to the crew: it did make me wonder what the point of their sound-check was, aside from parting some of their well-heeled fans from a ton a cash...

There you have the difference onstage between the pair: Rog's banter is sometimes a bit forced whereas all Pete has to do is pull a face or insult the audience thus: "We were in Abu Dhabi playing at the Grand Prix which was nice, but to be honest you get a better class of thug in Glasgow!".
What was less appealing was that there has been no official explanation regarding the sacking-off of the Dublin and Belfast shows: even the most rose-tinted fan can't defend that. And if I see Rog or Pete I will be asking them what the f**k they're playing at.

He still loves winding Rog up, for example counting him in sarcastically and then saying that it's ok for him (PT) to get cues wrong because they are his songs: immediately he softens this by half-jokingly offering "...which you then make your own!". Rog did laugh to be fair- he has to. Another false start on another tune was because Pete strummed the opening chord (forget which number) and then stopped, announcing that it would sound better with an in-tune guitar! A tech rushed on with another flawless red Strat only for Pete to tell him that he needed a capo on the third fret. The tech corrected him, and PT agreed and blamed his iPad that he has perched on his mic stand for feeding him wrong gen, hah-hah! It's not so much what he says, but the way he tells them, right?

Well yes and no: PT mentioned the Quad show last year and said we'd know the words for those songs and for those who weren't there, well there's a video of some "...dead people." I heard some disgruntlement around me at that comment and there is and will always be a lotta love for the departed. Speaking of the video tributes to John and Keith, Pino sat on his stool and watched The Ox's showcase intently. The only word for Pino is immaculate. Really. He's not intimidated musically by PT meandering or cuffing it sometimes. Also out on the wing was Simon Townshend who does a ton of stuff that goes unnoticed by the audience but he fills a big gap. Zak (as PT and Rog joked later during the introductions regarding what colour Zak's hair was: PT sighed, "...at least he's got some..." and said he looked like a Swan Vesta match, hah-hah!) played like he has done for yonks...challenging PT with eye contact at times and generally having a blast.

What was frustrating was that at least twice they got into 'old Who school jam' territory ('Magic Bus' and 'Naked Eye' for two) which rolled back the years genuinely only to have Pete curtail it. Ffs let the brakes off you big-nosed weapon! And you played 'Naked Eye' about 10% too slow. Apart from that, you did alright!

That aside some of the playing was brilliant at times even during warhorse stuff like 'WGFA' which I don't usually relish. Last night though I could see how into it PT was and how he drives the shebang: that's the stuff that stays with me. The sheer joy at hearing the band finally ring the changes re the setlist was palpable: I don't know if Frank Simes deserves a large drink for this but please, please don't let last night's mistakes put you off, guys. It is difficult to overtate how vital it was to hear numbers like 'I Can See For Miles', 'Long Live Rock', 'Cry If You Want', 'Join Together', 'Squeeze Box' and the wee opera 'A Quick One' amongst others. Oh, who could forget 'Slip Kid'? Well, this band for starters, hah-hah!

I don't know how much heavy lifting is done by the backline of Corey, Gold and Simes but they certainly filled the sound out...anymore and we'll heading back to 1989!

So it's back to Leeds tomorrow night: I really don't expect to enjoy the show as much but I'm lucky to get to see them again. Long live rock!

I did take a ton more photos and a few clips of rubbish vid: might update this cobblers. Equally might not, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-02 00:01 by SimonN.

Re: O/T The Who at The Hydro, Glasgow. Sunday 30th November, 2014.
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 1, 2014 22:18

Cheers Simon.

Going to the Brum concert next Sunday.

Just hope they do 5.15 and won't get fooled again.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: December 1, 2014 22:24

Thanks for the great review Simon! I have to wait till April to see them here in the States....I'm downloading a nice sounding recording of the show from DIME:
[www.dimeadozen.org]

Date: December 1, 2014 22:27

Great report as always, Simon thumbs up

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 1, 2014 22:56

Nice report and shots Si.

Great to see The Seeker in there. I've seen The Who about 30 times and don't recall them ever having played at any of those shows. Also great to see I Can See For Miles (their greatest single) getting an airing as well as Join Together and Long Live Rock. Tempted to go see 'em at that 'orrible venue the 02 later this month.

Date: December 1, 2014 23:05

Silver Dagger
Nice report and shots Si.

Great to see The Seeker in there. I've seen The Who about 30 times and don't recall them ever having played at any of those shows. Also great to see I Can See For Miles (their greatest single) getting an airing as well as Join Together and Long Live Rock. Tempted to go see 'em at that 'orrible venue the 02 later this month.

You should you should !!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home