Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 1, 2014 00:12

RollingFreak
If he truly hated The Who, he wouldn't trod them out every 5 years when he feels like it. They go on tour because he makes the final call. So he's an idiot to say what he says.

I think he's become slightly unhinged over the years. That disturbing 'internet photo' debacle can't have helped.

Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: November 1, 2014 16:40

Time to weigh in... The @#$%& Mirror? really?

Date: November 3, 2014 23:48

Date: November 4, 2014 00:29

PTownshend
video: [www.dailymotion.com]

Sounds Long Live Rock-ish

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: November 4, 2014 07:45

Makes sense to put all the North American dates on sale at once. Need to grab the floating reserved holiday money before U2 dates are announced.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 4, 2014 17:16

bump

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-04 17:16 by Ket.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: November 4, 2014 17:17

PTownshend

Terrible

Posted by: DD ()
Date: November 4, 2014 20:59

Blimey. I can understand people being miffed at Pete for saying that he hates touring and being in The Who (if, indeed, that is actually what he said), but I think that people calling him out over ticket prices, sales dates and such like, when those people are fans of the caring and ever-sharing Rolling Stones, a band who routinely mug their fans and demonstrate a lack of regard for who can afford to see them, is disingenuous.

For what it's worth to anyone, I've just bought two tickets for this December in London and I can't bleedin' wait. Good on the pair of 'em.

Declan

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: November 4, 2014 21:03

thumbs up

Date: November 4, 2014 21:43

Ket
PTownshend

Terrible

do better, mate

Date: November 4, 2014 22:40

PTownshend
Ket
PTownshend

Terrible

do better, mate

you're kind of taking it personally, aren't you PTownshend?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 4, 2014 22:55

treaclefingers
PTownshend
Ket
PTownshend

Terrible

do better, mate

Wouldn't you, if you were PTownshend?

Date: November 5, 2014 00:22

stonehearted
treaclefingers
PTownshend
Ket
PTownshend

Terrible

do better, mate

Wouldn't you, if you were PTownshend?

I think I'd take it personally if I were RDaltrey.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: November 20, 2014 16:03

From Roger Daltrey's interview with Saeed Saeed in The National:

Listening to those vintage rock bands from the 1960s and 1970s, I always found The Who’s music to be the most emotionally resonant of the lot. Would you agree with that?

A friend said this profound thing about The Who recently. He said all the bands from that era are great. I agree with him because for me The Rolling Stones are the best rock ’n’ roll band out there. The difference, my friend said, between The Who and all these other great bands out there is that they play at you and The Who play to you. There is a lot of sense in that, because it comes down to the words. Pete has a way of capturing the words and feelings that most of us couldn’t express.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 20, 2014 16:20

bye bye johnny
From Roger Daltrey's interview with Saeed Saeed in The National:

Listening to those vintage rock bands from the 1960s and 1970s, I always found The Who’s music to be the most emotionally resonant of the lot. Would you agree with that?

A friend said this profound thing about The Who recently. He said all the bands from that era are great. I agree with him because for me The Rolling Stones are the best rock ’n’ roll band out there. The difference, my friend said, between The Who and all these other great bands out there is that they play at you and The Who play to you. There is a lot of sense in that, because it comes down to the words. Pete has a way of capturing the words and feelings that most of us couldn’t express.

Good post. There is an uplifting spiritual quality to the Who's music that I find to be missing from most other rock and roll, including that of the Rolling Stones. That said, when I saw both bands within a few weeks of each other in 2002, there was no comparison. The Stones were operating on an entirely different level .... or maybe I was just blown away by the spectacle of it all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 16:21 by tatters.

Date: November 20, 2014 16:27

You never know..............they might be playing within days of each other at Hyde Park in June.

The Who on Friday and The Stones on Sunday. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 01:05

Does anybody know if the Who will play in europe out of u.k.? Do they have any plans?

Date: November 22, 2014 15:40

The Rolling Stones Tour has just finished, and The Who Tour is starting tomorrow after The last Grand Prix of the season in Abu Dhabi.

The following Sunday it will be Glasgow, and gigs up to just before Christmas.

May decide to go to the O2 gig on December 18th, but got my tix for Hyde Park on June 26th, and that's gonna be a good one with the support as well. winking smiley

The secondary sites are already trying to sell Premium View for The Who gig for twice the value. They are still available every now and again for face value on AXS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 16:05 by crawdaddy.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: November 22, 2014 15:45

andrea66
Does anybody know if the Who will play in europe out of u.k.? Do they have any plans?

Doesn't seem like it, have a look at their website !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: AntoineParis ()
Date: November 23, 2014 19:16

In an hour ar Abu Dhabi, opening night closing F1.
Nobody knows if there is streaming live somewhere?

Thanks

Date: November 24, 2014 01:47

Abu Dhabi setlist. 18 songs. The only surprise? There are no surprises.

[instagram.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 02:01 by tatters.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 24, 2014 03:06

Well The Seeker and I Can See for Miles are rarely played live. And nice to see Sparks and the Amazing Journey! I would love to hear how Townshend is interpreting that now.

Date: November 24, 2014 03:20

Sparks and Amazing Journey have been part of the Tommy medley that's closed the show for the last several tours (except for the Quadrophenia tour, of course). It's true that ICSFM is rarely played, but as their biggest-ever hit single in the states, it's hardly a deep cut. The Seeker has been played quite a bit in recent years.

Anyway, it's more than a little disappointing, but I've come to expect this from them. They always say at the start of every tour that this time, they're gonna dig deep into their catalog and shock and amaze their hardcore fans, and then, unless they're doing all of Tommy, or all of Quadrophenia, it's always the same old hits, and of course, they are touring in support of a greatest hits album. The tour is called "The Who HITS 50" .... so I don't know why I, or anyone else, should have been expecting anything different, regardless of their usual pre-tour bs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 03:24 by tatters.

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: November 24, 2014 09:45

So will we ever get a live performance of We're Not Gonna Take It again? Still hoping for it...

Date: November 24, 2014 10:00

As a Who fan since the '60's, I would be well pleased if they play a similar setlist at the two gigs I will be going to.

I only have a few albums like Live at Leeds,Tommy,Quadrophenia etc. and seen Tommy and Quadrophenia shows.

I wanna hear the big hits at Hyde Park and 02 in London. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: November 24, 2014 10:19

Well. That’s clearly “greatest hits” type of set list, which is what The Who have been doing since 1999, excluding the Quadraphonia tour. If Townshend played all this on electric guitar, then I would be pleased! All/most war horses are there, maybe not “The Real Me” , but then they put “Listening to you” which Townshend , as I heard more then once with my own ears, said he can no longer stand (“Sounds like a Tampon commercial”) - and that’s always great!

And.. Lets face it. Being both The Who and the RS fan, is like having two pets at the same time. The Who is the one you expect nothing new from. Just know is would do its best with all the old tricks we both know, cherish and enjoy. Occasionally sharing a sincere moment with you. Its old, and showing, but then no one ever could have covered these tunes but the originals. Not saying “good cover”. ANY cover… I mean… half of the above setlist can only be recognizable when done by these folks.

With the RS… you seem to live an endless life of waiting for something new from the pet, but then keep getting the same old thing you know, tune by tune, and you still love it.

And in both cases you suspect these are the last two pets you will ever have. After them… its just photos.

Well. See you in Newcastle/Liverpool.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: November 24, 2014 10:27

tatters

Anyway, it's more than a little disappointing, but I've come to expect this from them. They always say at the start of every tour that this time, they're gonna dig deep into their catalog and shock and amaze their hardcore fans, and then, unless they're doing all of Tommy, or all of Quadrophenia, it's always the same old hits, and of course, they are touring in support of a greatest hits album. The tour is called "The Who HITS 50" .... so I don't know why I, or anyone else, should have been expecting anything different, regardless of their usual pre-tour bs.

The Quadrophenia tour (at least where I have been) saw half empty arenas. I think The who cannot afford “deep cuts” commercial wise. People come to hear as many hits as they know. And most know about 6-8. The Who are not Mick Jagger and the RS. The do not deliver “SHOW”. You are now being “WOWed” facing their stage. They must present the most recognizable blend of hits. Townshend must deliver windmills. They need to incorporate the 5:15 Entwistle bass solo. This is how you make the crowd feel they got their money value. When you get to the point filling an arena is not guaranteed – you cannot take any bet. That’s the way I see that.

Date: November 24, 2014 15:51

The Stones do at least mix things up a little from one show to the next. The Who, for the most part, will stick with this same setlist, night after night, for the entire tour. I think they're underestimating their audience, or maybe they're just too lazy to rehearse something they've rarely or never played before. Sure, there's always going to be people in the audience who are seeing them for the first time who are going to be very impressed with a greatest hits show, but I'm sure they'd be just as equally impressed if, god forbid, they threw in an "obscure" number like "Slip Kid." Besides, the nature of the who's relationship with its audience is such that the vast majority of people going to these shows have probably seen them many times already. Do we really need to hear "Behind Blue Eyes" ever again?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-24 16:01 by tatters.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 24, 2014 16:07

Seems like it will still be a good tour (hey, it is the '50th' tour, after all). I'd love to see them if I had the time available.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 24, 2014 16:41

I'm surprised they didn't play Be Lucky, the new song from their latest greatest hits package...i first saw the Stones in '65 and the Who in '67 so I got to see lots of different and rare songs over the years! Let's face it they have both become nothing more than nostalgia acts...playing the hits and little else.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1851
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home