Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 106
Re: OT: The Who Hits 50! tour
Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 30, 2014 05:27

Sounds like Pete talking out his backside, again.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 30, 2014 06:17

<<it's done this way so they can have your money earning interest in their bank account at the earliest possible date.>>

Have you looked at interest rates lately? They are almost non existent. There are definitely reasons to have a bunch of cash today vs. tomorrow but interest rates are not even near the top of that list.

I too think it's a bit outrageous to ask for money for an entertainment event a year in advance. I have often been lucky with production release tickets, purchased the day before the show and often excellent seats.

Besides, I'm not sure what I'm doing next week let alone next year, I'd probably forget I had the tickets or be in some far away place and unable to use them.

Doubt I'll catch this Who tour, I always though John Entwistle was the best thing about that band and it wouldn't be nearly as good without him. peace

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 06:37

tatters

Besides, name one other product you pay for in full, and then don't receive your merchandise until a year later. I can't think of one. Funeral arrangements, maybe?

I work in TRAVEL...early bird airfares are often booked, paid for and ticketed 12 months in advance.....

but yeah, for a rock concert??????

Re: O.T. The Who World Tour starting U.K. before Christmas.
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 30, 2014 06:59

tatters
tatters
PTownshend
Coming to North America 15 April in Florida to 30 May in Forest Hills NY- leg 1 -2 more legs to follow and then on to Europe/Japan/AU & possibly South America. UK & USA on more time after that then done into later 2016

Where is there a place to play in Forest Hills, New York? Don't tell me the tennis stadium they played at in 1971 still exists?

In answer to my own question, they are indeed playing at the very same Forest Hills Tennis Stadium they played at in 1971. The Beatles played there in '64. The Stones played there in '66.

[www.foresthillsstadium.com]

Wow tatters a lot of history there. Should be awesome with the refurbishment I'm guessing.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 09:07

tatters
Pete Townshend: I hate The Who, performing and touring
Category: Entertainment Published Tuesday, October 28, 2014 Toronto Sun

Rock veteran Pete Townshend has sensationally confessed he "hates" his band The Who and cannot stand performing live.

The guitarist and his bandmate Roger Daltrey are heading out on the road for a massive, year-long farewell tour from next month to say goodbye to their fans after 50 years.

However, Townshend is already regretting the decision before the band has even played a note of music - because he hates the job.
Well, what to say?????? I know people working in call center Who hate their job,i know people who drive dhl truck who hate their job.. But they do it, with pride and dignity.. What a stupid statement from Pete. I thought he was more clever
Asked by a journalist from British magazine Event why he agreed to a farewell tour, Townshend replies, "I'm sort of asking myself the same question. It seemed like a good idea about six months ago but I hate performing and The Who and touring. But I'm innately good at it, I don't find it hard."

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: October 30, 2014 09:33

I understand the grind of travelling; hotels all look alike and constantly changing location, etc. But come on, Pete! Those 2 hours or so on stage are worth it! I've seen you countless times and you always seem to enjoy it.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 09:41

Well, what to say?????? I know people working in call center Who hate their job,i know people who drive dhl truck who hate their job.. But they do it, with pride and dignity.. What a stupid statement from Pete. I thought he was more clever
Can you imagine keith, mick, bruce or dylan to say something like that?

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: October 30, 2014 10:09

Yes really makes me feel glad I've just spent £150 on 2 tickets to watch someone do something he hates.
Just finished his autobiography so am aware how contrary he is however.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: October 30, 2014 11:33

Cerys Matthews talks to Roger and Pete:
[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: October 30, 2014 12:43

At his age it sounds like Pete just needs to eat some prunes, you know how old people can get constipated!smiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 30, 2014 13:26

bitusa2012
tatters

Besides, name one other product you pay for in full, and then don't receive your merchandise until a year later. I can't think of one. Funeral arrangements, maybe?

I work in TRAVEL...early bird airfares are often booked, paid for and ticketed 12 months in advance.....

but yeah, for a rock concert??????

Just heard Deep Purple has announced a show at the O2 for Dec. 2015, fourteen months from now. I don't think I've ever planned a vacation, not even in a very preliminary sort of way, more than six months in advance.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 30, 2014 17:01

I think it's the way of the world these days.

Give us yer money now, and enjoy the benefits of what you're paying for,before you die , maybe.

Even charitys want you to sign a contract to pay something every month.

Gone are the days when you put the money in a box or tin for someone collecting and they were happy with that. sad smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 30, 2014 17:17

tatters
Pete Townshend: I hate The Who, performing and touring
Category: Entertainment Published Tuesday, October 28, 2014 Toronto Sun

That's such a coincidence to my own circumstance, in that I also hate the Who, performing and touring.

Don't get me wrong, I used to love the band and still love their music but I now hate them live. How many times do they need to do the 'last tour' thing?

Saw them in '88...horrible show.

Saw them on TV for the hurricane relief show in NYC...I thought they were brutal, Roger in particular.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: October 30, 2014 17:24

The last 3 Who gigs I seen were great.

All within the last 5 years.

RAH 5th row, Indigo O2, right up front standing as near as you wan't to go.

Third one was the charity gig at Hammersmith with loads of other good acts, but The Who were great. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 30, 2014 21:18

Anyone knows if Zack Starkey would be their drummer this Dec. in the UK? did'nt find an asnwer on the wen and seems like ZS doesnt have his own web site...

Cheers

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: October 30, 2014 21:44

What a crock...

I HATE a band that asks me to pay for a concert ticket exactly 12 months before the actual show!

So I guess Pete and I are EVEN!
We both HATE The Who now.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 30, 2014 22:14

Hi Naturalust. In regards to low interest rates, that is true, but that doesn't mean they have to invest the money in North America. I'm sure there are countries that you can get perhaps 2-3% in a year in a term deposit. Or, they might want to be riskier and get some government/corporate bonds or blue chip stocks. If the Who brings in say $50 million in ticket sales, that's still potentially a couple extra million in income.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 30, 2014 22:39

<<I'm sure there are countries that you can get perhaps 2-3% in a year in a term deposit.>>

Ever hear about Swiss accounts?

"The interest rates of managed Swiss offshore accounts are between 8% and 15% per annum."

More at: [www.offshorecompany.co.uk]

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: October 31, 2014 00:24

I was looking at tickets for the Barclay's show on TM. Pulled up an orchestra way in the back for $160. I decided to check on the VIP seats out of curiosity and one came up in 10th row F3 for - $160! That seemed very reasonable so I proceeded to "checkout" and "purchase" and when the transaction was completed the total for one ticket was - $510! Fortunately I caught the error in time to call TM and cancel the purchase. I love Pete but $500 for 10th row is too rich for my blood. The Stones, on the other hand...cool smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 31, 2014 01:27

Hey Stonehearted, good info! With that in mind, I can see the band easily earning several million in interest on all the money collected. Not a bad payday!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 31, 2014 02:42

stonehearted
<<I'm sure there are countries that you can get perhaps 2-3% in a year in a term deposit.>>

"The interest rates of managed Swiss offshore accounts are between 8% and 15% per annum."

Heard of swiss accounts, most standard accounts are offering about 1% with a deposit of $500K to $2.5M dollars.. As far as offshore managed accounts the historical interest rates do indeed look promising but they are hardly guaranteed. peace

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: October 31, 2014 13:46

The whole interests discussion is irrelevant for these cases. This is not how "those" people (The Who, the promoters, the distributers) make their money and that is not their motive for pre charging and selling. I'm not even sure that the ticket selling channels (Ticketmaster, eventim) pays the promoters this early in a per ticket pace. They pre sell and pre charge from the same reason male dogs lick their balls - 'cause they can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-31 13:47 by Wroclaw.

Date: October 31, 2014 15:04

I could go see the Who when they play DC or Philly but that's over a year from now and I refuse to buy tickets so far in advance. If there are any $75 or less tickets available much closer to show time, then I might pull the trigger. Of course the really cheap tickets will be long gone by then... So in all reality chances of me seeing the Who in 2015 look very slim.

Date: October 31, 2014 15:17

stonehearted

actual 'interest rates' aren't that high.

you're talking about 'managed portfolios' where the majority of the funds are invested in a diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds, and while they could earn 15% they could also lose money depending on what the markets are doing.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 31, 2014 16:31

treaclefingers
stonehearted

you're talking about 'managed portfolios' where the majority of the funds are invested in a diversified portfolio of stocks and bonds, and while they could earn 15% they could also lose money depending on what the markets are doing.

This topic is far less interesting than I thought.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2014 18:38

tatters
I bought U2 tickets in November 2009 and didn't get to use them until June 2011. Bono's "bad back" necessitated a 12-month postponement. (Actually, having a stage so large that it could only be used outdoors, and only being able to play outdoors in Michigan in the summertime is what really necessitated the 12-month postponement. I'm sure his back felt much better long before then.)

They played Cowboys Stadium (Jerry World), the Georgia Dome and BC Place Stadium on the 2009 tour and those are domes. So it was done. They avoided Detroit, New Orleans, Minneapolis and Indianapolis. I think that's it for (totally enclosed) domes in North America.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 31, 2014 18:49

Pete needs to STFU. What an old hag. Goddamn. Really, OK, so YOU'RE DOING THE TOUR ANYWAY. Wow. What a champ.

Clearly it's for the money - what little they'll make since next to NO ONE gives a shit about The Who anymore. I'm really not sure why anyone would bother. As it's been pointed out, this is their 300th farewell tour. What a bunch of crap.

Goddamn. Go reissue WHO'S NEXT for the 14th time.

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: October 31, 2014 18:57

My seats for the September 27, 2015 show at Seattle's Key Arena arrived safely in the mail yesterday.

25th row on the right side of the floor. $300 for a pair, and worth every cent. I have something to look forward to all year. Sure, it's quite an advance, but for this tour, it's better than money in the bank.

Long live The Who!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 31, 2014 21:04

If he truly hated The Who, he wouldn't trod them out every 5 years when he feels like it. They go on tour because he makes the final call. So he's an idiot to say what he says.

Date: November 1, 2014 00:10

stonehearted
treaclefingers
stonehearted

This topic is far less interesting than I thought.

Then we'd better 'invest' in a more compelling topic.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...23456789101112...LastNext
Current Page: 7 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2067
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home