Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 106
Re: O.T. The Who World Tour starting U.K. before Christmas.
Posted by: PTownshend ()
Date: July 24, 2014 04:00

This package (first DIRECTLY from UMG) is being tweaked. The track list among many other facets of the release are under review.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 8, 2014 03:00

The Who Ask Fans for Rare Recordings for 50th Anniversary Festivities
The group is offering VIP tickets to its upcoming tour and credit on special edition releases for extraordinary finds
by Kory Grow
Rolling Stone
August 6, 2014

(Michael Putland/Getty Images)

As the Who ready themselves for their 50th anniversary tour, the group is asking fans worldwide to share rare and lost recordings, forgotten radio and TV performances, fan-shot footage from concerts, bootleg recordings, demos, rare photos and memorabilia.

As an example, the group cites its 2002 film, The High Numbers at the Railway Hotel, which a Dutch fan had been holding onto since 1964. The Who will include the best and most interesting items in their forthcoming anniversary releases, crediting the fans who offered them up, and giving each respective fan two VIP tickets to a show on its upcoming tour. Fans with extraordinary odds & sods can email the group at thewho@umusic.com.

Meanwhile, the group will put out a greatest hits collection, The Who Hits 50!, on October 28th, and Roger Daltrey, Pete Townshend & Co. are prepping for a Who Hits 50! tour that will take them to arenas in the U.K. this fall and North America in 2015. Additionally, over the next year, the group will mark its golden anniversary with releases and events that will commemorate the group's cultural impact.

At a press conference in late June, Daltrey personified the upcoming tour as "the beginning of the long goodbye." The band has said that it would play "all the classic anthems" and deep cuts spanning its entire career, from when it was using the name the High Numbers to the present. "It will have a finality to it," the singer said of the trek. "We'll stop touring, I'm sure, before we stop playing as a band, but just like Eric Clapton said, the grind of the road [is] incredibly tough on the body."

Story from: [www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 8, 2014 04:04

Another greatest hits package? Why? Really ridiculous. And sounding like yet another re-release of anniversary editions...whew keep milking that cash cow. Probably will get yet another version of Live at Leads with additional mike pops and static as bonus material. Yay.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 24, 2014 15:52

THE WHO HITS 50!
THE DEFINITIVE HITS COLLECTION
FEATURING THE BRAND NEW TRACK 'BE LUCKY'
2CD COMPILATION RELEASED 3 NOVEMBER

There is no more significant a milestone in Rock Music than the 50th Anniversary. Alongside The Beatles and The Stones, THE WHO complete the holy trinity of British Rock bands that have the honour of celebrating that landmark. Through the decades, THE WHO redefined rock music as we know it and their influence continues in all areas of popular culture to this day.
THE WHO HITS 50! is the definitive collection of the band’s greatest tracks from their very first recordings as The High Numbers right up to the present day with the brand new track 'BE LUCKY'.
A classic Who rocker 'BE LUCKY' is THE WHO’s first new material in eight years. The track was produced by Dave Eringa, best known for his work with the Manic Street Preachers and Wilko Johnson & Roger Daltrey.
Recorded at the end of the summer at British Grove and Yellow Fish Studios, 'BE LUCKY' features long time Who live players Zak Starkey (drums) and Pino Palladino (bass) with the keyboards being provided by ex-Style Council and Dexys sideman Mick Talbot. In keeping with their ongoing support for Teenage Cancer charities, the band have donated their royalties from the song to Teen Cancer America, a charity founded in 2011 by Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend.
THE WHO HITS 50! is released on 3 November to coincide with the band’s 50th anniversary tour of the same name which starts in Glasgow on 30 November and ends at The O2 Arena in London on 18 December.

DISC ONE
Zoot Suit (as The High Numbers)
I Can’t Explain
Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere
My Generation
Substitute
The Kids Are Alright
I’m A Boy
Happy Jack
Boris The Spider
Pictures Of Lily
The Last Time
I Can See For Miles
Call Me Lightning
Dogs
Magic Bus
Pinball Wizard
I’m Free
The Seeker
Summertime Blues (live)
See Me, Feel Me
Won’t Get Fooled Again (single edit)
Let’s See Action
Bargain
Behind Blue Eyes

DISC TWO
Baba O’ Riley
Join Together
Relay
5:15
Love Reign O’er Me
Postcard
Squeeze Box
Slip Kid
Who Are You
Trick Of The Light
You Better You Bet
Don’t Let Go The Coat
Athena
Eminence Front
It’s Hard
Real Good Looking Boy
It’s Not Enough
Be Lucky

Date: September 24, 2014 15:55

This new track may have had quite a long gestation period. I remember Roger shouting the words, "Be lucky!" just before walking offstage at the end of a Who concert 12 years ago.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-25 02:14 by tatters.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: September 24, 2014 21:11

As a Who fan, I gotta say: I don't need another compilation/greatest hits. The new track will probably be available seperatly on itunes. However what makes this intriguing for the casual Who fan is it reads more like a singles collection (I'd hardly call The last Time, Zoot Suit, Dogs or Postcard hits). But it does put The Relay on a compilation for the first time since Maximum R and B in 1994 so this might make the price of admision worth it if you dont already have the track. Either way, I think I'll pass and pick up the new track off itunes.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: September 25, 2014 12:30

Hello.

This was played on radio for the first time this morning; Roger was a telephone guest on Chris Evans' BBC Radio 2 programme. It's a decent tune, which I think will become more appealing with repeated listens. Rodge remarked it was redolent of the Who about 1973, and parts of it are indeed very much like Quadrophenia. If you find this morning's show on the BBC i-player, it was played at about 2h20m in, and again at about 2h40m.

Declan

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: September 25, 2014 12:57

I pucrchased 2 tickets for two consecutive The Who concerts this Dec. One of them (VIP package, or "Souncheck" as they call it) I did from ticketmaster.co.uk, which I only did as it was the only way to get a front row seat. Many weeks later I'm getting a call from their (ticketmaster) office in England. On the other side a somewhay innsecure female voice is telling me that a mistake happened, I was offered (online smiling smiley ) a prime package for the wrong price: it seems I was offered/charged the price of an inferior package - one of the same type, only for rows 4-20, not 1-3 as I got. They told me I can either add some 100 quid more per ticket (that was some 750 quid in the first place!) or they can relocate us to the seats that match our "price"' which was supposed to be at row 12 I think )not even row 4....). It was Friday, during work, and I just told them to give me a couple of days to think, as these prices are really-really high in the first place, it is their mistake (I recall being offered the same package price, for same seats, at various vendors - only choose TM UK as I 've booked with them before).

Asked a work collegue, whom is English what to do, and also (naivly I guess) added something like "Would have never expected this type of service in the UK - always thought these type of things only happen in &^%%$% or in &%^%$" - to which she replied that I'm quite wrong and that the "are you being served" (TV comedy, which she knows I loved) type of service in the UK are pretty much gone sad smiley

Anyway - I way going to totally give up, find some regular tickets frontrow and tell TM UK to refund me and forget about it.

Anyway - by monday they called me, told me to forget about it all and that TM UK will absorb the price difference.

So... some kind of thumbs up to TM, I guess. Liverpool front row here I come.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 25, 2014 13:08

So glad you got some sort of 'Satisfaction' there Wroclaw.

I'm still undecided at seeing them in London or U.K. as no standing,apart from Cardiff maybe.

Will wait nearer the time. thumbs up

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 25, 2014 13:42

It would've been a bigger thumbs up for Ticketbastard if they'd told you that in the first place! I reckon they were trying it on because I would think there is probably no legal obligation on you to pay for their mistake. Anyway, all's well that ends well!

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: September 25, 2014 14:11

Beast
It would've been a bigger thumbs up for Ticketbastard if they'd told you that in the first place! I reckon they were trying it on because I would think there is probably no legal obligation on you to pay for their mistake. Anyway, all's well that ends well!

Yea, I'm pretty sure that's the way it is. Assuming that the promoter takes most of the revenue, leaving them only with "handling fee" per package, it looks as if they are loosing here money so tried to sniff the ground. Still: it was bloodey expensive in the furst place, I'm not sure I'm gonna enjoy the "buffet" and for the 500-600 pounds I paid extra just to get a "sound check" I could have afforded 2 more The Who concerts, hotels & train tickets included!

Well. Thats the music industry today and nough said about it in regards to the Rolling Stones latest tours.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: September 25, 2014 14:55

Wroclaw
I pucrchased 2 tickets for two consecutive The Who concerts this Dec. One of them (VIP package, or "Souncheck" as they call it) I did from ticketmaster.co.uk, which I only did as it was the only way to get a front row seat. Many weeks later I'm getting a call from their (ticketmaster) office in England. On the other side a somewhay innsecure female voice is telling me that a mistake happened, I was offered (online smiling smiley ) a prime package for the wrong price: it seems I was offered/charged the price of an inferior package - one of the same type, only for rows 4-20, not 1-3 as I got. They told me I can either add some 100 quid more per ticket (that was some 750 quid in the first place!) or they can relocate us to the seats that match our "price"' which was supposed to be at row 12 I think )not even row 4....). It was Friday, during work, and I just told them to give me a couple of days to think, as these prices are really-really high in the first place, it is their mistake (I recall being offered the same package price, for same seats, at various vendors - only choose TM UK as I 've booked with them before).

Asked a work collegue, whom is English what to do, and also (naivly I guess) added something like "Would have never expected this type of service in the UK - always thought these type of things only happen in &^%%$% or in &%^%$" - to which she replied that I'm quite wrong and that the "are you being served" (TV comedy, which she knows I loved) type of service in the UK are pretty much gone sad smiley

Anyway - I way going to totally give up, find some regular tickets frontrow and tell TM UK to refund me and forget about it.

Anyway - by monday they called me, told me to forget about it all and that TM UK will absorb the price difference.

So... some kind of thumbs up to TM, I guess. Liverpool front row here I come.

Glad you got some satisfaction.thumbs up

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: September 25, 2014 18:05

could someone post Lucky You? I cant get Iplayer to work in my region. Youtube please!?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 25, 2014 21:38

peoplewitheyes
could someone post Lucky You? I cant get Iplayer to work in my region. Youtube please!?

This is working for me in Brazil, maybe can work for you, too. There's an interview with Roger Daltrey and the song begins at 2h13min, approximately.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: September 26, 2014 02:39

New recording : 'Be Lucky' (From the forthcoming 'The Who Hits 50' compilation)

Date: September 26, 2014 02:47

That's actually not too bad for a couple of old geezers. Better than anything on Endless Wire. It's got Zak and Pino on it, so they sound more like a real band this time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-26 02:47 by tatters.

Date: September 26, 2014 02:57

<<Better than anything on Endless Wire>>

I'm one of those who thinks Endless Wire is great. One of the tracks from that album, Black Widow's Eyes, also featured Zak and Pino.

The live version on Parkinson, October 28, 2006:

"Black Widow's Eyes"

You jumped out of an alley
With surprise in your black widow's eyes
I was prepared to be unprepared
Been preparing for lights

I fell right in love with you
Into a thousand parts I blew

I was caught in a corner
He recoiled from a broken romance
Taking breath after once undead
I had a firm grip on my pants

Through a hundred hearts you flew

Strange that when infatuation calls
We think that we've got real love in our life
It pumps like the pressure in a station hall
As the express train thunders on by

As the blood came blowing through

Across the room
I saw your eyes
Black window looking back at me
You held a gun
As children cried
You touched some wires
They shattered me

I was blown into a blue
There'd been nothing I could do

I rose up to the station
Smelt your scent by the door
You stood waiting so patient
Just one wait, then no more

There'd been nothing I could do

Across the room
I saw your eyes
Black window looking back at me
You held a gun
As children cried
You touched some wires
They shattered me

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 26, 2014 03:05

I also think Endless Wire was fantastic! Great production and they sound on fire. This is pre-surgery for Daltry, and his voice is pretty gravely, but good none the less. Harkens back to their classic 70's stuff. Loved it! Still spin it every once in a while as well.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 26, 2014 21:53

wont get fooled again

Date: September 27, 2014 07:38

tatters
This new track may have had quite a long gestation period. I remember Roger shouting the words, "Be lucky!" just before walking offstage at the end of a Who concert 12 years ago.

Written and recorded within the last month.

thumbs upRe: O.T. The Who World Tour starting U.K. before Christmas.
Date: October 1, 2014 05:01

Tour will actually start in Abu Dhabi. Thanks Mick! thumbs up

Date: October 4, 2014 06:16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-04 06:17 by PTownshend.

Date: October 4, 2014 11:08

Thanks Pete. Like this one a lot. smileys with beer

Date: October 4, 2014 12:11

^ Roger sounds absolutely fantastic! Ageless! Looking forward to a new full album. Pete--give us more, More, MORE!

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: October 4, 2014 12:31

Crackin song, up there with their best!! Dig the AC/DC name checks too.

Cheers,
David

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 6, 2014 00:46

Brilliant - full of classic Who hallmarks. What a teaser for the upcoming shows. Can't wait!

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: October 6, 2014 02:59

I ordered the blu ray version of the new cd. It says Wide Screen which gives me hope of video content

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 6, 2014 11:47

once again no dates near germany - what a mess

Date: October 9, 2014 09:18

Coming to North America 15 April in Florida to 30 May in Forest Hills NY

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-10-10 03:28 by PTownshend.

Date: October 9, 2014 12:11

So glad The Who are doing U.K. and Ireland before Christmas, and great news for the rest of The Tour in 2015 and into 2016.

Gonna try and get a decent seat for London O2, but might even try Dublin or Belfast where I think there is Standing GA tix.

Much prefer that for a Who gig, or Stones come to that. >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 5 of 106

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home