Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC stuff
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 16:44

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
RollingFreak
A hidden gem of theirs from Black Ice: Rock N Roll Dream. I'd argue there's no other song in their cannon like that and is phenomenal.
Agreed! It's basically their only "ballad", or as close to a ballad as AC/DC will ever get in the Brian era.

Some people might consider Ride On a ballad because it's quieter, but that's really just a straight blues tune.

what about "love song"?
True...not really a favorite of mine, and it was written by Bon before he joined AC/DC.

But especially in the Brian era, to hear a song like Rock'n'Roll Dream after 18 years was amazing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 29, 2020 15:56

Dee Snider has been, eh, pushing for AC/DC to be the halftime entertainment for 2021's Super Bowl.

Perhaps there's still some kind of stigma attached to that but it pretty much seems quite lessened in its impact and importance. After Prince did it, why bother - there will never be enough big musician artists to do it, mainly because too many non-musician artists keep doing it.

U2, McCartney, the Stones, Prince, Tom Petty, Bruce, Prince... Lady Gaga.

There's not many left that are of that ilk. It is or it will be too late for:
Pearl Jam (they wouldn't)
Elton John
The Eagles
AC/DC

Maybe a few others.

Date: February 29, 2020 19:32

GasLightStreet
Dee Snider has been, eh, pushing for AC/DC to be the halftime entertainment for 2021's Super Bowl.

Perhaps there's still some kind of stigma attached to that but it pretty much seems quite lessened in its impact and importance. After Prince did it, why bother - there will never be enough big musician artists to do it, mainly because too many non-musician artists keep doing it.

Elton John
The Eagles
AC/DC

Maybe a few others.
I think that time has passed. Following the Justin Timberlake / Janet Jackson debacle in 2004, there was a six-year run of classic rock musicians who were deemed "safer" and less risque (and it's kinda funny (and sad) that the Stones and Prince were considered "family-friendly" compared to Janet Jackson's nipple).

Then starting in 2011, they've gone back to contemporary pop acts and haven't looked back, so I don't expect to see any classic rock acts again.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: February 29, 2020 19:52

I love Dee to death (met him in 2013, super nice guy) but I don't see why he cares. I'm a huge NFL/football guy but I get it. The Super Bowl is the most watched event in the U.S. so they go with artists with mass appeal. Somehow I can't see Angus Young sitting around the phone waiting for the NFL to call. They are not American and probably have very little interest at all in American Football. So really, Dee is lobbying for something AC/DC probably has little interest in doing. When Metallica didn't do the half time show a few years back (They played Giants baseball field the night before at pre party) it was a sign that a hard rock band will probably never play it. KISS played the pre game back in the early 2000s and Aerosmith played with Britney and N Sync so there has been a hard rock presence. I guess I don't get why Dee cares. I loved The Ramones but they certainly wouldn't fit either. Wouldn't surprise me if Foo Fighters played half time some day.

Date: February 29, 2020 20:14

The best time for AC/DC to have done the halftime show would have been back in 2008-2009. Black Ice was a huge comeback album/tour for them, Malcolm was still alive, and they were still relatively young enough to put on the energetic AC/DC show we're all accustomed to.

I have no idea what AC/DC is going to look like onstage in 2020-21, but Angus and Brian aren't going to be bouncing around with the same verve they used to even five years ago...I think it might look kinda sad at their ages.

And as mixed as my feelings are on KISS these days, they would have put on a KILLER halftime show. If there was any rock act whose shtick is perfect for a halftime show, It's KISS.

Date: February 29, 2020 20:28

keefriff99
The best time for AC/DC to have done the halftime show would have been back in 2008-2009. Black Ice was a huge comeback album/tour for them, Malcolm was still alive, and they were still relatively young enough to put on the energetic AC/DC show we're all accustomed to.

I have no idea what AC/DC is going to look like onstage in 2020-21, but Angus and Brian aren't going to be bouncing around with the same verve they used to even five years ago...I think it might look kinda sad at their ages.

And as mixed as my feelings are on KISS these days, they would have put on a KILLER halftime show. If there was any rock act whose shtick is perfect for a halftime show, It's KISS.

I just Kiss. They were fun. And it was a great show. They would prob pull it off. Maybe kid rock joins them. He puts on a great show also

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 29, 2020 21:16

jumpontopofmebaby
keefriff99

KISS still put on an awesome show. Watch any youtube vids from this current tour. Final encore of R'n'R All Night is incredible. Never seen so much pyro in one song except maybe McCartney Live and Let Die.

I just Kiss. They were fun. And it was a great show. They would prob pull it off. Maybe kid rock joins them. He puts on a great show also

Date: February 29, 2020 22:40

DGA35
KISS still put on an awesome show. Watch any youtube vids from this current tour. Final encore of R'n'R All Night is incredible. Never seen so much pyro in one song except maybe McCartney Live and Let Die.
Yes...I'm saying that WHEN classic rock acts were all the rage for Halftime shows 10-15 years ago, KISS would have been a good choice.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 29, 2020 23:34

Yeah, classic rock bands don't do the halftime show anymore so its a dumb thing to push. I'd love it, but it'll 100% never happen.

Date: February 29, 2020 23:46

RollingFreak
Yeah, classic rock bands don't do the halftime show anymore so its a dumb thing to push. I'd love it, but it'll 100% never happen.
And the reality is that if the whole Janet Jackson fiasco hadn't occurred, NONE of those acts would have gotten a chance to play, for better or worse.

And honestly, only McCartney, Prince and (maybe) Bruce actually worked as halftime shows. The Stones, the Who and Tom Petty all looked like fish out of water.

It's a thankless gig...who needs that stress and potential for ridicule?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-29 23:47 by keefriff99.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 1, 2020 08:48

I don't think they looked out of place. Honestly I kinda put everyone besides Prince and U2 on the same playing field. Not sure how McCartney was better than Tom Petty or the Stones, etc. They all went out there and just played their hits. They gave America a fun little 12 minute show. Bravo to the Stones for being the only one that was TRULY live allegedly, and for playing a new song during it. For whatever reason it was (Janet Jackson) there was a 10 year period where we got some fun little performances out of these old men that we all love. It didn't have to happen at all, so I'm thankful that it did.

Its funny, I always say its ironic that back then I couldn't have cared less about the football game, but they had my music acts doing the halftime, and now I really like football and couldn't give a shit about the halftime. I'd rather it not be there lol, and not just because of who it is but because it breaks the flow of the game. But also it doesn't happen to be people I care about. I don't think any of "our" guys did it badly, besides maybe the Who who truly did just seem too old. You coulda put AC/DC in for them, but otherwise I thought all the other legacy acts did well with the platform they had. AC/DC instead of The Who would have been perfect. AC/DC and Bruce both equally had something to push in 2009 that wouldn't have worked in 2010, so for AC/DC it would have been a cool thing just to do after Black Ice, but I totally get why it just didn't work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-01 08:51 by RollingFreak.

Date: March 1, 2020 10:15

Well, just my opinion, but I really thought that McCartney and Bruce overall fared a bit better than the Stones and Tom Petty.

The Stones came off feeling a little small, rather than larger than life. Maybe I'm too used to seeing them playing on their own stage on their own terms, but it didn't feel comfortable for them...and playing Rough Justice was a big mistake. Any other time, I'd be all for the Stones playing new/obscure material, but for THAT particular gig? HITS, and nothing but HITS. Start Me Up / Satisfaction / Jumpin' Jack Flash would have been a much better setlist.

I absolutely do appreciate that they played live though.

As much as I love Tom Petty, he and the Heartbreakers are too mellow for the gig. There's very little physicality to their stage show, which made them a bad fit for such a visual presentation.

Now I guess I could say the same thing about McCartney that I said about Petty, but he's SUCH an icon that his star power simply towers over everything else no matter where or what he's performing. Even though he's not bouncing all over the stage like Mick, his charisma and historical significance makes him captivating.

Date: March 1, 2020 16:10

keefriff99
Well, just my opinion, but I really thought that McCartney and Bruce overall fared a bit better than the Stones and Tom Petty.

The Stones came off feeling a little small, rather than larger than life. Maybe I'm too used to seeing them playing on their own stage on their own terms, but it didn't feel comfortable for them...and playing Rough Justice was a big mistake. Any other time, I'd be all for the Stones playing new/obscure material, but for THAT particular gig? HITS, and nothing but HITS. Start Me Up / Satisfaction / Jumpin' Jack Flash would have been a much better setlist.

Keep in mind that back then it was still a tool to promote record sales. It was the opposite for the Stones - prior to the Super Bowl people practically returned A BIGGER BANG, and playing the Super Bowl was more like a mosquito bite than a landslide in terms of sales for ABB, unlike previous acts that saw quite a mark in increased sales.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 2, 2020 19:12

GasLightStreet

Elton John
The Eagles
AC/DC

Maybe a few others.

Jennifer Lopez is a "non-musician" artist? Alrighty then.

As for your "musician" artist list, which is interestingly all middle-aged to old aged men...

Agreed, Pearl Jam likely wouldn't do it.
Elton John could do it.
The Eagles...maybe.
AC/DC....being a fairly one-dimensional bar band with basically nothing but rockers, the halftime could work well for them...but many viewers would likely want a more "non-musician" Artist.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 2, 2020 20:19

The NFL would probably ban the whole setlist! eye popping smiley

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 2, 2020 21:33

floodonthepage
GasLightStreet

Elton John
The Eagles
AC/DC

Maybe a few others.

As for your "musician" artist list, which is interestingly all middle-aged to old aged men...

Elton John could do it.
The Eagles...maybe.
AC/DC....being a fairly one-dimensional bar band with basically nothing but rockers, the halftime could work well for them...but many viewers would likely want a more "non-musician" Artist.

why wouldn't Pearl Jam do it?

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 2, 2020 22:27

stickyfingers101
floodonthepage
GasLightStreet

Elton John
The Eagles
AC/DC

Maybe a few others.

Elton John could do it.
The Eagles...maybe.

why wouldn't Pearl Jam do it?

Naturally I don't know for certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to be part of the super bowl being that it is part of the big machine, so to speak. Granted, they do plenty of big shows, but I'd say it's more likely than not that they'd pass on such a thing.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 3, 2020 07:29

I’ve seen AC/DC a lot of times but I swear once in the 80s I saw them with Steve Young playing guitar in place of Malcolm.
Seeing the thread made me think of what a fckng bummer it is that he’s no longer with us but they did tour with the nephew once right?

Date: March 3, 2020 07:50

lem motlow
I’ve seen AC/DC a lot of times but I swear once in the 80s I saw them with Steve Young playing guitar in place of Malcolm.
Seeing the thread made me think of what a fckng bummer it is that he’s no longer with us but they did tour with the nephew once right?
Yes, Malcolm went into rehab for alcoholism in 1988, and Steve Young filled in for the North American leg of the Blow Up Your Video tour.

I don't think the band even announced it, and Stevie looked so much like Malcolm back then that fans didn't even notice.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 3, 2020 15:29

keefriff99
lem motlow
Yes, Malcolm went into rehab for alcoholism in 1988, and Steve Young filled in for the North American leg of the Blow Up Your Video tour.

I don't think the band even announced it, and Stevie looked so much like Malcolm back then that fans didn't even notice.

I saw them on that tour and didn't know it wasn't Malcolm until I later read the review in the newspaper!

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 4, 2020 08:05

keefriff99
lem motlow

Thanks, I appreciate it. We used to get really, really fckng stoned going to those shows so it gets blurry but I was really into them and knew that wasn’t Mal.
But with the years and ... well you know.
I think Angus can put together a really good version of the band again. Can’t wait really.

Date: March 4, 2020 16:56

floodonthepage
GasLightStreet

Elton John
The Eagles
AC/DC

Maybe a few others.

Elton John could do it.
The Eagles...maybe.

It was almost tongue in cheek since a lot of those "non-musician" artists have multiple songwriters to write their songs and an army of producers to use samples and mostly computer generated music ie... not musicians... unlike Beck.

And you're spot on, the whole point really was that of the current attendance drawing artists/bands they are mostly middle aged to old geezers.

Date: March 4, 2020 20:56

[www.blabbermouth.net]

So Chris Slade seems to be under the impression that he's still in AC/DC.

I listened to an interview he did with wrestler Chris Jericho a few years ago, and he said that when the band told him that they'd jammed with Phil Rudd in 1994 just to see how everything sounded, he pretty much said, "Well then, I'm out. Obviously you don't want me in the band or you wouldn't have even entertained jamming with Phil."

Date: March 4, 2020 21:05

At this point what AC/DC probably does doesn't really matter - everyone knows Highway To Hell, Dirty Deeds, TNT etc and, of course, Back In Black, FTATR, YSMANL and Hells Bells.

Are they the only big band left that doesn't have a greatest hits/best of compilation?

Date: March 4, 2020 21:15

GasLightStreet
At this point what AC/DC probably does doesn't really matter - everyone knows Highway To Hell, Dirty Deeds, TNT etc and, of course, Back In Black, FTATR, YSMANL and Hells Bells.

Are they the only big band left that doesn't have a greatest hits/best of compilation?
Pretty much, and although the Who Made Who and Iron Man 2 soundtracks are effectively compilation albums, neither really encompass the totality of AC/DC's career and hit songs.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 4, 2020 21:54

Chris Slade did not record the new album...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: March 4, 2020 22:01

powerage78
Chris Slade did not record the new album...
Exactly.

I know AC/DC has always been ultra-private, but dicking Chris around after he bailed their asses out on short notice back in 2015 is really not cool.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 4, 2020 22:06

keefriff99
[www.blabbermouth.net]

"Slade originally followed Simon Wright in AC/DC's lineup,
joining in time to play on 1990's "The Razor's Edge" album.
When Rudd returned in 1995, Slade was shown the door
and harbored some bad feelings about that for a while.

"Four years ago, AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson was forced
to leave the band mid-tour
due to a dangerous level of hearing
loss. He was eventually replaced on the road by GUNS N' ROSES
vocalist Axl Rose.

In the summer of 2018, Rudd and Johnson, along with guitarists
Angus Young and Stevie Young, were photographed outside
Vancouver's Warehouse Studios. Based on the pictures, the
assumption was that AC/DC was in the midst of making —
or at least planning — another album, with Rudd and Johnson
both back in the lineup

Ever since AC/DC completed the tour cycle for its 2014 album
"Rock Or Bust" three and a half years ago — a turbulent trek
that weathered the forced retirement and eventual death of
co-founder Malcolm Young
, plus the departures of Johnson,
Rudd and bassist Cliff Williams
— fans have wondered whether
sole remaining founding member Angus Young would keep the
band going
or decide it was time for AC/DC to pack it in."

So many bad feelings and sad decisions in there...Angus should
just end AC/DC and go on touring as, let´s say, "Angus Young´s
Rock´n´Roll Train".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-04 22:07 by TooTough.

Date: March 4, 2020 22:18

TooTough
Rock´n´Roll Train".
If Phil, Cliff and Brian were still out of the picture, then I'd agree with you, but if the rumors are true, the "classic" Back in Black lineup (minus Malcolm, obviously) have patched things up enough to at least have recorded an album using Mal's old riffs, and may all tour together.

If they can pull that off, then it's worth one last go-around.

Date: March 5, 2020 10:52

keefriff99
TooTough
Rock´n´Roll Train".
If Phil, Cliff and Brian were still out of the picture, then I'd agree with you, but if the rumors are true, the "classic" Back in Black lineup (minus Malcolm, obviously) have patched things up enough to at least have recorded an album using Mal's old riffs, and may all tour together.

If they can pull that off, then it's worth one last go-around.

If anything about this being the last time out has been said I haven't seen it but it sure seems to fit: the amount of time between LPs has been getting ridiculous...

THE RAZORS EDGE 1990
BALLBREAKER 1995
STIFF UPPER LIP 2000
BLACK ICE 2008
ROCK OR BUST 2014

This bit from the wikipedee page is hilarious, really. ROCK OR BUST was the group's first album without founding member and rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young, who had retired from the band in 2014 due to health concerns, although he co-wrote every track on the album. Bass guitarist Cliff Williams has also retired since Rock or Bust was released, while drummer Phil Rudd was unable to participate in the supporting tour after being sentenced to house arrest, and vocalist Brian Johnson was forced to exit the band after the fifth leg of the album's supporting tour as a result of hearing loss. Further on about the tour, no mention of Johnson's departure and Axl taking over at all.

Although, when compared to the Stones...

STEEL WHEELS 1989.................THE RAZORS EDGE 1990
VOODOO LOUNGE 1994............BALLBREAKER 1995
BRIDGES TO BABYLON 1997......STIFF UPPER LIP 2000
A BIGGER BANG 2005................BLACK ICE 2008
BLUE AND LONESOME 2016.......ROCK OR BUST 2014

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8788899091929394959697...LastNext
Current Page: 92 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home