Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 11, 2016 19:40

mnewman505
Is this thread still going?

Nobody wants to pay current AC/DC prices to see anyone other than Brian Johnson, seriously. With Brian, Malcolm, and Phil out of the lineup this is basically a tribute band. If Angus wants to tour solo playing smaller venues with a solid Brian soundalike i'd fine with that sorta like what Slash does when he tours by himself. I'd definitely pay money to see Angus play AC/DC and blues songs with a solo band but I wouldn't pay $150 to see said act in a giant stadium like I did last summer.
I completely agree. To be honest, it felt a bit wrong to see them last year without Malcolm and Phil, although I still had a great time due to Brian and Angus being up there.

I'm just glad I got to see the classic Brian-era lineup three times in 2000-2001, and met Phil and Malcolm once, and Angus twice.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 12, 2016 01:04

Marc Storace from Krokus.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: March 12, 2016 01:24

Steven Tyler has the voice and can sing, but can also fall off the stage smileys with beer

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 12, 2016 01:36

mtaylor
Steven Tyler has the voice and can sing, but can also fall off the stage smileys with beer
I know its a joke, but Steven Tyler is a consummate professional. He's that generation's Mick Jagger, even though there isn't much of an age difference. But seriously, just like Jagger, you go see Aerosmith and you know HE'S gonna be great. He knows how many days to take off in between shows, he's probably the only member of the band that gets in shape, he is a Jagger sort of performer, that you can just count on. Again, I know it was a throwaway funny line, but its overlooked how consistently great he is.

Anyway, more on the topic, yes, I agree when you bring up price, it makes me happy I saw the Back In Black lineup and that they were together as long as they were. It would have been weird without Malcolm, but without Brian too is just too much.

Date: March 12, 2016 01:43

RollingFreak
mtaylor
I know its a joke, but Steven Tyler is a consummate professional. He's that generation's Mick Jagger, even though there isn't much of an age difference. But seriously, just like Jagger, you go see Aerosmith and you know HE'S gonna be great. He knows how many days to take off in between shows, he's probably the only member of the band that gets in shape, he is a Jagger sort of performer, that you can just count on. Again, I know it was a throwaway funny line, but its overlooked how consistently great he is.

Anyway, more on the topic, yes, I agree when you bring up price, it makes me happy I saw the Back In Black lineup and that they were together as long as they were. It would have been weird without Malcolm, but without Brian too is just too much.

joe perry is in shape

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 12, 2016 04:04

shadooby
Marc Storace from Krokus.

First person I thought of too. Didn't know the name but thought "singer from Krokus".

Date: March 12, 2016 05:09

RollingFreak
mtaylor

Joe Perry got ripped in the '80s when he got sober. He was in phenomenal shape in his 40s and 50s. A bit saggy now, but still lean.

But you're right about Tyler: it's easy to take him for granted or view him as a bit of a clown due to his antics, but he's a perfectionist and his voice is ALWAYS on point. He's blessed with indestructible vocal cords, especially after the abuse he put his body through. To be able to sing in that style at his age is a real gift.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 12, 2016 17:40

Kurt
I've already voiced my opinion in this thread above.
Here I'm only the messenger...

Pelle Almquist of THE HIVES wants the job:

Pelle Almquist asks to Front AC/DC

this is a bit pathetic. hate to say i told you so.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 12, 2016 19:29

I think a no name super star should step in. He should be equal in age and be able to belt out the songs with stage presence. If there is that person, I would accept this. Other than that they should hang it up. Anyhow, it's been a great run which ever way they decide. Really sorry for Brian, I hope he's able to hear until his last breathe.

Posted by: Tubeman ()
Date: March 13, 2016 11:58

Strong contender is Jimmy Barnes from Australia, after Bon died they rehearsed with him extensively but he declined the offer as he had a number one record with his band Cold Chisel in Australia, he is a Scotsman by birth and lives in Australia. His singing style is very close to Brian, and he is the same age group as Brian and Angus. Still a very active, with Cold Chisel and solo, and close to an ideal fit as a guest singer.

His style of singing is very close to Brians and Bons

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 13, 2016 14:48

What about the guy from Rose Tattoo?

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 13, 2016 16:12

frankotero
I think a no name super star should step in. He should be equal in age and be able to belt out the songs with stage presence. If there is that person, I would accept this. Other than that they should hang it up.

It makes sense. On the other hand, it would really be and Angus And Friends show, which would be very much okay, if the tickets were for a third of the price. If the guest singer was a star of his own, it would at least feel like a double treat and would somehow justify the price. I suspect, that if the guest is no famous name, the band will play to more or less empty stadiums (here in Europe). It is true, that when Black Sabbath announced a tour a couple of years back and then Tony couldn't make it, because of the cancer treatment, they billed it as "Ozzy and Friends." The price remained the same and people could return their tickets. I am not sure, but I think they played to full arenas anyway. But those were arenas and the tickets were way cheaper from the start. But maybe there is still a chance for Brian to make it somehow. That would be best of course, if his health was not at stake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-13 16:14 by Happy24.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: March 13, 2016 17:44

I'd go if Lisa Kekaula (The Bellrays) was singing.

Posted by: Sespin ()
Date: March 13, 2016 20:15

Joey Tempest

Date: March 13, 2016 20:18

Another thought, maybe Angus could make another band or do an all-star kind of thing like Ringo. Just a thought.

Date: March 13, 2016 20:45

frankotero
Another thought, maybe Angus could make another band or do an all-star kind of thing like Ringo. Just a thought.

That'd be cool.

I doubt he does that. He kind of seems like one of those people that would rather continue in the big name band. AC/DC takes like 5 year breaks. Those guys NEVER play shows outside of AC/DC in that downtime. While I'd LOVE to see Angus create new music with a solo band or do an all star type thing, I get confused why he'd start that NOW. Apparently he would rather just play the same 15 hits in stadiums all over the world, which isn't that bad. But seriously, never a club show and just play blues in between a tour? I doubt that changes anytime soon.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 13, 2016 20:49

How about the woman from Hell's Belles? That would certainly be interesting. & sonically consistent!

Date: March 13, 2016 21:17

Yeah, bringing a woman in could be an interesting twist. Maybe even breathe new energy into it. Who knows, anything is possible. But hopefully he won't hang it up for good. There's always new ways to make music I think.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: March 13, 2016 21:24

I really hope Brian gets well and makes some kind of a recovery if possible that's what's most important in this situation but it would be nice if they can make some announcement soon regarding the European tour.

Nate thumbs up

Date: March 13, 2016 21:34

RollingFreak
frankotero

That'd be cool.

I doubt he does that. He kind of seems like one of those people that would rather continue in the big name band. AC/DC takes like 5 year breaks. Those guys NEVER play shows outside of AC/DC in that downtime. While I'd LOVE to see Angus create new music with a solo band or do an all star type thing, I get confused why he'd start that NOW. Apparently he would rather just play the same 15 hits in stadiums all over the world, which isn't that bad. But seriously, never a club show and just play blues in between a tour? I doubt that changes anytime soon.
That's just not his style. Look at their output over the past 26 years:

1990 - Razor's Edge

1995 - Ballbreaker

2000 - Stiff Upper Lip

2008 - Black Ice

2014 - Rock Or Bust

They haven't toured outside of their album cycle except when opening for the Stones a couple of dates and playing the SARS festival in 2003. This is a band that's been very happy having a limited schedule, enjoying their hard-earned success, and only releasing new music and touring when absolutely necessary.

The Young brothers were NEVER into doing guest spots on other artists' albums or having side projects.

They're extremely insular, private and off the grid when it comes to making public appearances. They'll never pop onto a late-night chat show or play at a sporting event, so if this is it for the band, my guess is Angus will quietly retire to the Netherlands and you'll rarely see him in public again.

Date: March 13, 2016 23:02

keefriff99
RollingFreak
frankotero

That'd be cool.

1990 - Razor's Edge

1995 - Ballbreaker

2000 - Stiff Upper Lip

2008 - Black Ice

2014 - Rock Or Bust

They haven't toured outside of their album cycle except when opening for the Stones a couple of dates and playing the SARS festival in 2003. This is a band that's been very happy having a limited schedule, enjoying their hard-earned success, and only releasing new music and touring when absolutely necessary.

The Young brothers were NEVER into doing guest spots on other artists' albums or having side projects.

They're extremely insular, private and off the grid when it comes to making public appearances. They'll never pop onto a late-night chat show or play at a sporting event, so if this is it for the band, my guess is Angus will quietly retire to the Netherlands and you'll rarely see him in public again.

i know its not the same but the band also had a few live albums, the bonfire boxset, some dvd's of old music videos, a set of rare tracks and the iron man soundtrack all since 1990

Date: March 14, 2016 00:51

keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
RollingFreak
frankotero

That'd be cool.

1990 - Razor's Edge

1995 - Ballbreaker

2000 - Stiff Upper Lip

2008 - Black Ice

2014 - Rock Or Bust

i know its not the same but the band also had a few live albums, the bonfire boxset, some dvd's of old music videos, a set of rare tracks and the iron man soundtrack all since 1990
True, but that stuff doesn't require as much hands-on commitment from the band as studio albums and tours do. Their marketing team can pretty much take care of that stuff with minimal input from the band members.

Date: March 14, 2016 04:35

Right, but the whole point is that this effectively ends Angus' career, and he might not want that. Because obviously he DOESN'T feel comfortable performing outside of "AC/DC". According to sources, Brian wanted to hang it up after Stiff Upper Lip but Angus really wanted to go on. Hence we have the last 10-12 years. If Angus doesn't want to play on his own, which history shows unfortunately he does not, then I wouldn't be shocked if they get someone to replace Brian and continue, just so he can keep going. Again, its not what I'd prefer, but at this point its up to whether Angus wants to retire or let Brian make that decision for him.

Nate
I really hope Brian gets well and makes some kind of a recovery if possible that's what's most important in this situation but it would be nice if they can make some announcement soon regarding the European tour.

Nate thumbs up

Unfortunately it seems like its impossible for Brian to "get well". I'd love him to, but hearing loss is serious and doesn't "come back". If they pulled him off the tour, its bad and clearly they are just trying to save whatever's left. I'd be shocked if we ever see him live again, sadly.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 14, 2016 04:45

I'd settle for a solo album from Angus with a new singer- I'm sure it would kick ass.
Whether AC/DC continues on or not, Angus will never retire...let there be ROCK!

Date: March 14, 2016 07:14

RollingFreak
Right, but the whole point is that this effectively ends Angus' career, and he might not want that. Because obviously he DOESN'T feel comfortable performing outside of "AC/DC". According to sources, Brian wanted to hang it up after Stiff Upper Lip but Angus really wanted to go on. Hence we have the last 10-12 years. If Angus doesn't want to play on his own, which history shows unfortunately he does not, then I wouldn't be shocked if they get someone to replace Brian and continue, just so he can keep going. Again, its not what I'd prefer, but at this point its up to whether Angus wants to retire or let Brian make that decision for him.
Wow, I've never heard that. Do you have a source?

The reason I'm so surprised by that tidbit is because Brian, in contrast to the Young brothers, actually HAS done a few projects outside of AC/DC over the past 20 years. He sang on a couple of Jackyl albums, produced two albums for the (now defunct) band Neurotica, recorded three songs for the pro-cannabis documentary Totally Baked, worked on a musical about Helen of Troy, performed at various charity concerts in Florida with Cliff (who both live down there), and of course wrote a book and did interviews for his other big passion in life, cars, most notably Top Gear.

On the other hand, the Young brothers literally fall off the face of the Earth between recording/touring cycles, going years without providing any news or updates on the band status. In fact, news about the band was so dead between 2000 and 2008 that I was convinced we'd seen the last of them.

Posted by: djrambler ()
Date: March 14, 2016 16:59

treaclefingers
Kurt
I've already voiced my opinion in this thread above.
Here I'm only the messenger...

Pelle Almquist of THE HIVES wants the job:

Pelle Almquist asks to Front AC/DC

this is a bit pathetic. hate to say i told you so.

Ha, this is great. This is the same as Pelle's schtick/humor when he's onstage, that he's the greatest frontman in rock and roll. He's just messing around with this post.

Date: March 14, 2016 18:09

keefriff99
RollingFreak
Wow, I've never heard that. Do you have a source?

The reason I'm so surprised by that tidbit is because Brian, in contrast to the Young brothers, actually HAS done a few projects outside of AC/DC over the past 20 years. He sang on a couple of Jackyl albums, produced two albums for the (now defunct) band Neurotica, recorded three songs for the pro-cannabis documentary Totally Baked, worked on a musical about Helen of Troy, performed at various charity concerts in Florida with Cliff (who both live down there), and of course wrote a book and did interviews for his other big passion in life, cars, most notably Top Gear.

On the other hand, the Young brothers literally fall off the face of the Earth between recording/touring cycles, going years without providing any news or updates on the band status. In fact, news about the band was so dead between 2000 and 2008 that I was convinced we'd seen the last of them.

NYC radio guy Eddie Trunk has said that 10 years ago Brian was ready to say "that's enough" but Angus wasn't done yet. Hence you have what the last 10 years have been. He also said that THEN this current tour and the dates through Europe were supposed to be their final shows. Eddie says he heard that from many good sources that this was the end, which makes sense cause Brian is nearly 70 singing this stuff. And that this setback might be the exact thing that allows Angus to keep going like he's always wanted to.

You are right though. The Young Brothers fall off the face of the earth whereas Brian I believe is in Florida and does occasionally do stuff. Hell, he performed with Billy Joel just a year ago or something. But yeah, apparently before Black Ice and after the SARS thing AC/DC did with the Stones that the band was nearly done but Angus pushed on. So we got Black Ice, which I don't think any of them thought as a farewell but was a major tour at least for younger people like myself that had never seen them since it had been 8 years since a large scale tour. Then the reason they were very quiet afterwards was because Malcolm was sick. It was widely rumored that someone in AC/DC was sick and I think people thought it might be Angus, Cliff or Phil. I don't think many thought it was Malcolm or as bad as it was. But that was the reason for that break, and then Angus pushed through to do this run, and Brian saw this as a good time to say "we'll go out one more time, but without Malcolm this should probably be the end, since you know I'm old too."

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 14, 2016 18:54

The reason of the re-scheduling is probably remated to insurance issues.

As guest possibilities the Krokus guy could do the job, but it might be a bit of an imitation, as close as possible from Brian's voice.

Other options worth considering IMHO could be the singers of The Darkness or Airbourne.
A funny one I wish I could see them try out is Robbie Williams in a very different yet spectacular style between Bon and Brian.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 14, 2016 19:19

Doc
A funny one I wish I could see them try out is Robbie Williams in a very different yet spectacular style between Bon and Brian.

The idea sounds really funny, but the result might be actually interesting. I doubt that their personalities would match though. For a long time I thought that Robbie might be an ideal guest singer for Queen (except of, again, the most likely ego-clash), instead of that preposterous Adam Lambert. The last year I have heard Robbie doing some Queen covers on his last tour and even though they were not bad at all, it was somehow below my expectations. Mercury was really one of a kind and impossible to replace. Don't know about Brian, but I think that any "replacement" will not fulfill the expectations anyway.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 14, 2016 23:52

The singer from the Struts could be entertaining. I saw them open for Motley Crue & they were very entertaining. He certainly wouldn't be shy about it!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4243444546474849505152...LastNext
Current Page: 47 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home