Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC stuff
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 19, 2022 17:10

LA Guns have actually put out quite a few decent albums since Cocked & Loaded, which is, yes, a great album!!! I don't believe Tracii Guns played on all of them, but I think one would be surprised by just how much the band still rocks!!

Date: October 19, 2022 17:11

And I forgot The Cult in that listing of 80's bands. Not sure how I did that, since they have their own thread on here now! LOL

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: October 19, 2022 17:25

hot smiley

VoodooLounge13
And I forgot The Cult in that listing of 80's bands. Not sure how I did that, since they have their own thread on here now! LOL

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: October 19, 2022 17:47

I've been listening so much to Under The Midnight Sun these days that I needed a wee break. Listening to Love now smileys with beer

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 19, 2022 19:14

VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
DGA35
VoodooLounge13
Try as I might I just can’t get into Power Up. Idk. Somethings not there for me. If that’s it for me they went out on a whimper. I thought Rock or Bust was a much stronger albeit incredibly short album. I’ve been a fan since Jr High and would probably put them as my #2 all time.

Hey Voodoo, out of curiosity, when were you in Jr. High?

87-89.

he's younger than us.

Does that mean my opinion is invalidated?!?!? LOL

Dirty Deeds was the first cassette I got of theirs, and I wore out that thing. To this day Ride On remains my favorite song of theirs. Powerage just has a great bluesy sound unlike anything else they did, save maybe Stiff Upper Lip, but that was with a different singer.

Not totally invalidated no...but comes with a 10% discount!

Date: October 19, 2022 19:48

treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
treaclefingers
VoodooLounge13
DGA35
VoodooLounge13
Try as I might I just can’t get into Power Up. Idk. Somethings not there for me. If that’s it for me they went out on a whimper. I thought Rock or Bust was a much stronger albeit incredibly short album. I’ve been a fan since Jr High and would probably put them as my #2 all time.

Hey Voodoo, out of curiosity, when were you in Jr. High?

87-89.

he's younger than us.

Does that mean my opinion is invalidated?!?!? LOL

Dirty Deeds was the first cassette I got of theirs, and I wore out that thing. To this day Ride On remains my favorite song of theirs. Powerage just has a great bluesy sound unlike anything else they did, save maybe Stiff Upper Lip, but that was with a different singer.

Not totally invalidated no...but comes with a 10% discount!

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 19, 2022 20:16

These guys going to tour, or not?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 20, 2022 03:55

NashvilleBlues

I bet they do some sort of stadium run next spring/summer. I haven't heard anything concrete but it makes sense. If f'n Motley Crue/Def Leppard can fill stadiums, AC/DC sure can. The f'n part was for the Crue. Respect to Def Leppard for going out on that & actually playing decent new material.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-20 12:00 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 20, 2022 05:42

crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues

I bet they do some sort of stadium run next spring/summer. I haven't heard anything concrete but it makes sense. I f'n Motley Crue/Def Leppard can fill stadiums, AC/DC sure can. The f'n part was for the Crue. Respect to Def Leppard for going out on that & actually playing decent new material.

If AC/DC were to tour it would sell out. Period.

It would be awesome if they did but if they don't because they don't want to... that's all there is to it. They certainly don't need to for money, it would be for the sake of playing the same ol' live again only with one or two new songs.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 20, 2022 13:57

GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues

I bet they do some sort of stadium run next spring/summer. I haven't heard anything concrete but it makes sense. I f'n Motley Crue/Def Leppard can fill stadiums, AC/DC sure can. The f'n part was for the Crue. Respect to Def Leppard for going out on that & actually playing decent new material.

It would be awesome if they did but if they don't because they don't want to... that's all there is to it. They certainly don't need to for money, it would be for the sake of playing the same ol' live again only with one or two new songs.

I've said it before but I would love to see Angus ditch the schoolboy outfit & just go out & play. He would still blow people away.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: October 20, 2022 17:41

crholmstrom
GasLightStreet
crholmstrom
NashvilleBlues

I've said it before but I would love to see Angus ditch the schoolboy outfit & just go out & play. He would still blow people away.

I've never seen them. I won't be picky.

Date: October 21, 2022 07:39

An AC/DC song AC/DC never recorded... a leftover from the The Cult's ELECTRIC sessions that, to this day, for me, bizarrely didn't make the album (and their hilarious cover of Born To Be Wild, which producer Rick Rubin insisted upon, apparently, did - he's an AC/DC fan and he insisted on Born To Be Wild? What a tuna fish sandwich eating idiot).

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 21, 2022 21:14

GasLightStreet
An AC/DC song AC/DC never recorded... a leftover from the The Cult's ELECTRIC sessions that, to this day, for me, bizarrely didn't make the album (and their hilarious cover of Born To Be Wild, which producer Rick Rubin insisted upon, apparently, did - he's an AC/DC fan and he insisted on Born To Be Wild? What a tuna fish sandwich eating idiot).

When I heard the opening guitar I was immediately reminded of R'n'R Ain't Noise Pollution!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 22, 2022 01:29

Rick Rubin needs to come back and do one that puts the rock back into the roll.

Date: October 22, 2022 05:24

shadooby

Rubin worked with The Cult in late 1992 for a song, The Witch, and they started to work on a new album in 1993. They decided he wasn't exactly invigorating as they'd hoped so... as I recall that's where the tuna fish sandwich comments originated, so they went with Bob Rock again.

To think that what he did with ELECTRIC in 1987 he couldn't do with, oddly enough, AC/DC's BALLBREAKER in 1995 - it's as flat sounding as a table.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 22, 2022 14:15

Brian Johnson wrote an autobiographical book:

13 & 25 Oct. 2022 - [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.com] .

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: October 22, 2022 16:41

One year and half since the preorder, finally on my way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-10-22 17:07 by rogerriffin.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 22, 2022 16:58

DGA35
GasLightStreet

When I heard the opening guitar I was immediately reminded of R'n'R Ain't Noise Pollution!

Is Daryl Hall in The Cult now? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: October 23, 2022 01:03

GasLightStreet
shadooby

To think that what he did with ELECTRIC in 1987 he couldn't do with, oddly enough, AC/DC's BALLBREAKER in 1995 - it's as flat sounding as a table.

Ooh that's why it's so good.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: October 23, 2022 01:19

Those guys rock!

Also, I think Keith really dug Malcolm's rhythmn playing.

Great tone their guitar players have, straight up cranked Marshall stacks!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: October 23, 2022 09:21

VoodooLounge13
LA Guns have actually put out quite a few decent albums since Cocked & Loaded, which is, yes, a great album!!! I don't believe Tracii Guns played on all of them, but I think one would be surprised by just how much the band still rocks!!

Saw LA Guns in June 91 when they opened for AC/DC in Vancouver, I believe that would have been their original lineup. One of the 80s hair metal bands I liked back then, Ballad of Jayne was awesome. Hadn't really followed them since, though.

Date: June 9, 2023 22:53

The rock band Rick Rubin called "the greatest of all time"
Tim Coffman

[faroutmagazine.co.uk]

For the past few years, Rick Rubin has felt more like a shaman of music than he is a producer. From resurrecting the career of Johnny Cash to his early days working with the old-school titans of hip-hop like Run-DMC and the Beastie Boys, there are only a few genres that Rubin hasn’t dipped his toes into over the years. Regardless of where his muse takes him next, Rubin will always have a taste for old-school rock music.

Long before he started making hip-hop beats out of his dorm room at NYU, Rubin was starting to get in tune with the sounds of rock and roll, calling The Beatles one of his most important memories of listening to music. Although the Fab Four may have played a hand in his musical development, the next few years saw him embracing the world of hard rock.

Whereas most of his friends were gravitating towards the bluesy bands out at the time, such as Led Zeppelin, Rubin found himself venturing down under to get his rocks off, telling Rolling Stone: “My classmates all liked Led Zeppelin, but I liked AC/DC. They were rooted in American R&B, but they took it to a minimal extreme”. As much the Australian heavyweights brought more attitude into rock and roll, they never actually thought along those terms.

As far as the Young brothers were concerned, they were following in the footsteps of some of their heroes like Chuck Berry and Elvis Presley, taking the building blocks of rock and roll and putting a healthy snarl behind it with both Bon Scott and Brian Johnson behind the microphone. For all the mayhem they stirred up in their time, Angus Young became the gold standard for the young guitar hero, looking like he was unleashing demons from his body when playing songs like ‘Problem Child’.

Once Rubin started to make his name as a producer, he began to fuse his love of rock and roll into hip-hop beats, building some of the first drum samples out of songs like ‘When the Levee Breaks’ by Led Zeppelin and convincing Run-DMC to remake their version of Aerosmith’s ‘Walk This Way’. Despite the focus on hip-hop, Rubin always referenced Highway to Hell when making some of his future classics.

While AC/DC had their definitive sound, their understanding of simple arrangements stuck with Rubin, explaining: “I try to create albums that sound as powerful as Highway to Hell. Whether it’s working with The Cult or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I apply the same basic formula: Keep it sparse”. It’s easy to see what he’s talking about based on his work with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, including a scene from their documentary Funky Monks where he teaches Flea to tone down the bass part for what would become ‘Give It Away’.

That exercise in restraint wasn’t just limited to the thousands of rock bands Rubin worked with. When listening to some of the final songs he worked on with Johnny Cash, the concept of less-is-more is perfect on ‘Hurt’, as ‘The Man in Black’ recounts the last parts of his life in grave detail.

For all the great artists that have sought the advice behind Rubin’s grey beard, he still goes back to AC/DC as one of the foundations of music for him, saying, “They’re the greatest rock and roll band of all time. They didn’t write emotional lyrics. They didn’t play emotional songs. The emotion is all in the groove, and that groove is timeless”.

Date: June 10, 2023 06:39

This fall... AC/DC live.

[www.acdc.com]

Date: June 10, 2023 10:50

smileys with beergrinning smileysmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: June 10, 2023 20:57

It's gonna be interesting seeing them in action after 7 years...

Date: June 12, 2023 08:26

shadooby
GasLightStreet
shadooby

It's better than FLICK or FLY or RAZOR but it's just kind of bland. Rubin was hardly there and Malcom said it was a mistake. It's no where near ELECTRIC.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: June 12, 2023 11:14

Brian Johnson played 2 songs with Sam fender (supported stones at Hyde park 2 last year) at st James park stadium in Newcastle on saturday

[www.loudersound.com]

I was there for the Friday night, sorry to have missed Brian!

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: June 12, 2023 14:19

Producers really do matter:

Flick - AC/DC
Fly - Angus and Malcolm Young
Who - Harry Vanda and George Young
Blow - Harry Vanda and George Young
Razor - Bruce Fairbairn
Ball - Rick Rubin Mike Fraser
Stiff - George Young
Black - Brendan O'Brien

Of that lot, I'd say Who, Blow, Razor and Black sound best. Too much drum compression on Ball. Heetseeker from Blow was awesome and Stiff Upper Lip not bad at all, although also muffled by compression. Black Ice sounds pretty good.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: June 12, 2023 16:04

GasLightStreet
shadooby
GasLightStreet
shadooby

It's better than FLICK or FLY or RAZOR but it's just kind of bland. Rubin was hardly there and Malcom said it was a mistake. It's no where near ELECTRIC.

Yeah, Rubin got the Cult to get more of an AC/DC sound than he was able to get from the actual AC/DC!

Date: June 12, 2023 21:45

GasLightStreet
shadooby
GasLightStreet
shadooby

I personally think Fly is the MOST underrated Brian album. It's by far my favorite of the Brian-era!! Love the sound, the vibe, the songs - just everything about it!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...100101102103104105106107108109110...LastNext
Current Page: 105 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2123
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home