Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC stuff
Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: September 22, 2020 13:33

Wry Cooter
You take about 4 songs from the Bon Scott era, the best 4 off Back in Black, the best 4 thereafter and well...you have one of the greatest albums of all time.

You could probably say something similar about all major bands/artists with a half decent back catalogue.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2020 19:51

RollingFreak
I just this week listened to the first 6 AC/DC albums. High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, and the live If You Want Blood album. There's not a single bad song on those records. The Bon stuff was just so flat out incredible. Love Brian, and jesus the biggest coup for him was starting his run with Back In Black which gave him legitimacy to this day. But honestly, the Bon stuff is enough to live a career on and that band of Bon, Angus, Malcolm, Cliff and Phil... I don't think there was something they couldn't do that wasn't amazing. Every few years I forget just how flawless those Bon years were. Malcolm wrote unforgettable songs, Bon was a perfect frontman, and Angus was a masterful guitar player.

To me, and I agree with all that you say, the Bon era was incredible, their last album of that era was FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK. Something happened after that LP came out. As in, they did start having bad songs. Call it whatever - the wind had left their sails. They'd done it.

Whatever it is, the really good riffs and intensity stopped happening. The more the production got slick the worse the riffage got.

Their best/greatest post-FTATR album is STIFF UPPER LIP by far, in comparison to all previous LPs post-1981. Which I realize isn't a lot but FLY ON THE WALL, the rather flat THE RAZORS EDGE, FLICK OF THE SWITCH and the bewildering BLOW UP YOUR VIDEO is AC/DC asleep on their feet.

BLACK ICE is pretty damn good but when ROCK OR BUST came out I heard Play Ball and thought Oh crap, they've taken a big dive... there's not one song on that album that's interesting.

Hopefully this last one they're gonna release in November or whenever will be good.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 22, 2020 19:56

Ballbreaker and Flick are great.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 22, 2020 20:04

powerage78

They're rather flat compared to the really good stuff. BALLBREAKER is very disappointing.

Date: September 22, 2020 20:42

I love the song Rock or Bust and it was a great opener on the last tour and if that isn't riffage, I don't know what is.

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: September 22, 2020 20:43

AC/DC is all about live concerts, that's what drives the interest in a new album - the possibility of a new upcoming tour.

But the pandemics completely messed with that in the near future, which I think it serves as a lesson, for the time they wasted, the thing with Axl, etc.

Time waits for no one. They blew it, doesn't matter who or why. Now it may be too late.

An AC/DC concert is the absolute opposite of social distancing. And the way things are going (at least here in Europe), I can't imagine it happening, at least in the next couple of years.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 23, 2020 01:13

Torres
AC/DC is all about live concerts, that's what drives the interest in a new album - the possibility of a new upcoming tour.

But the pandemics completely messed with that in the near future, which I think it serves as a lesson, for the time they wasted, the thing with Axl, etc.

Time waits for no one. They blew it, doesn't matter who or why. Now it may be too late.

An AC/DC concert is the absolute opposite of social distancing. And the way things are going (at least here in Europe), I can't imagine it happening, at least in the next couple of years.

They blew it? I'm glad they continued on after Malcolm died and that Axl was able to fill in the final shows of the tour. Brian's hearing was shot, Cliff retired at the end of the tour and Phil's legal issues. Now it appears they have a new album ready to release. The pandemic messed up the whole world. Maybe soon we'll see bands start doing pay per view concerts instead of tours?

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: September 23, 2020 01:30

I don’t buy the story about Brian’s hearing, never did. Yes, he probably had issues with it, but it all sounded an excuse for putting him away.

Now he’s back, but I’m afraid it’s too late (for live shows).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 23, 2020 05:02

GasLightStreet
RollingFreak
I just this week listened to the first 6 AC/DC albums. High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, and the live If You Want Blood album. There's not a single bad song on those records. The Bon stuff was just so flat out incredible. Love Brian, and jesus the biggest coup for him was starting his run with Back In Black which gave him legitimacy to this day. But honestly, the Bon stuff is enough to live a career on and that band of Bon, Angus, Malcolm, Cliff and Phil... I don't think there was something they couldn't do that wasn't amazing. Every few years I forget just how flawless those Bon years were. Malcolm wrote unforgettable songs, Bon was a perfect frontman, and Angus was a masterful guitar player.

To me, and I agree with all that you say, the Bon era was incredible, their last album of that era was FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK. Something happened after that LP came out. As in, they did start having bad songs. Call it whatever - the wind had left their sails. They'd done it.

Whatever it is, the really good riffs and intensity stopped happening. The more the production got slick the worse the riffage got.

Their best/greatest post-FTATR album is STIFF UPPER LIP by far, in comparison to all previous LPs post-1981. Which I realize isn't a lot but FLY ON THE WALL, the rather flat THE RAZORS EDGE, FLICK OF THE SWITCH and the bewildering BLOW UP YOUR VIDEO is AC/DC asleep on their feet.

BLACK ICE is pretty damn good but when ROCK OR BUST came out I heard Play Ball and thought Oh crap, they've taken a big dive... there's not one song on that album that's interesting.

Hopefully this last one they're gonna release in November or whenever will be good.

Agreed. I don't like the For Those About To Rock album, but I'll say this: after Bon they needed to do one thing and thats have a phenomenal album, which they did. Then, they had the For Those About To Rock song. Honestly, it doesn't matter what the @#$%& else is on the album, that song was enough and cemented them. For some reason, I think they'd be a lesser band without that song, even though I couldn't care less about that album, and yeah, there's just something, even in the covers that just happened to them. They were a different band.

Another key moment? Thunderstruck. Without that, it genuinely seems like it would be questionable where they'd be right now. They were on a downward slide even though they were legends and that one song (again, who cares about the rest of the album even though Money Talks is great) brought them back to life. AC/DC certainly has perfect timing. After that, I haven't liked much. I thought Black Ice was the best album, or at least the one with more than one good song on it, but it was just way too long. I like an EPs worth. People hailed Rock Or Bust as a comeback but I thought it was all kinda the same as their other efforts. Just shorter which was needed.

I'm happy Brian, and the whole band are back even though the last tour should have been a farewell. I think whenever we get new shows they might just be too old and even though he gave his blessing I would prefer not to continue without Malcolm. Having said that, I guess there's no perfect way for me, because last tour would have felt like a wimper if it was the last with Brian. Even before it got postponed, it was just more of the same and without Malcolm. Black Ice could have been their farewell at that point. However, having Axl come in and them revamp that setlist is something I'm so grateful for. I'm so thankful to have seen that show, it was the greatest, except that I don't want AC/DC to end without Brian. I just kinda wish we knew what the hell happened on that tour. What was with the bull about Brian leaving which we all never really bought and why did it all happen the way it did. So strange, in a fairly strangeless AC/DC history.

Date: September 28, 2020 15:44

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Video

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-28 17:14 by powerage78.

Date: September 29, 2020 09:58

POWER UP

[pwrup.acdc.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-29 09:59 by powerage78.

Date: September 29, 2020 12:17

Thank you for keeping us posted, Powerage

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 29, 2020 12:25

powerage78

POWER UP

And I thought after the 1st Video they have a short-circuit and are out-of-order .... winking smiley

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: September 29, 2020 14:53

Cool. I look forward to it. I'm guessing their new record is going to be here sooner rather than later.

Stiff Upper Lip is a really great album, and I enjoy Ballbreaker a lot too.

Date: September 29, 2020 16:14

Date: September 29, 2020 17:00

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: September 29, 2020 19:28

RollingFreak

These are the albums I’ve go to quicker than Back in Black. There’s something about the energy from the bon era that gives it some boogie that was missing after.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:00

THE AGE --- 30 September 2020

ROCKMAN

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:18

I am ready!!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 29, 2020 23:39

Irix
powerage78

Well... eye rolling smiley drinking smiley

[Twitter.com]: “I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young (AC/DC) . grinning smiley

My local radio station played a block of latter day/Brian era songs earlier today, and I couldn't tell if any of them were brand new as they all sounded the same. smiling smiley jk.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 30, 2020 08:11

GasLightStreet
powerage78

They're rather flat compared to the really good stuff. BALLBREAKER is very disappointing.

Rock or Bust it's their worst album.
I really hope that Power Up has better stuff!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 30, 2020 09:06

KRiffhard
GasLightStreet
powerage78

Rock or Bust it's their worst album.
I really hope that Power Up has better stuff!

I'll take Rock or Bust over Fly On the Wall any day! I don't "hate" any AC/DC albums, just like some more than others!

Date: September 30, 2020 10:28

Shot In The DarK would be new single name.
On Twitter, when you write this name, a lightning follows automatically.

Date: September 30, 2020 14:43

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: September 30, 2020 14:48

Great news Powerage. The best lineup we can get.

Date: September 30, 2020 14:54

Big emotion.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 30, 2020 14:57

powerage78
spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beer

smileys with beer
"Rock'n'roll train is comin'
Think I'm gonna get on now, oh, yeah..." >grinning smiley<

Date: September 30, 2020 17:34

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 30, 2020 18:02

Indeed the best lineup possible in 2020. But I thought
Cliff had retired? Would he tour with them again? That
would be great. And Phil has something meaningful to do.
Good for him.

Date: September 30, 2020 18:50

I think Cliff came out of retirement as Brian and Phil were back in the band.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...90919293949596979899100...LastNext
Current Page: 95 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home