Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 31, 2020 03:19

crholmstrom
DGA35
skytrench
WTF schillid?

BIB...those were the days when nearly all the songs on the album were great, hard to top Hells Bells or Given the Dog a Bone. FTATR has grown on me and I like most of the songs on it as well now.

After they had peaked, it was only a few good tracks each on Flick and Blow. Same for the later albums where Brian was taken off the songwriting credits altogether. Those later albums are lacking good lyrics, I feel they should at least have let Brian handle that. But they always churn out a great song or two on their later albums.

I think I like Flick better than Those About To Rock. Biggest problem is they stopped using Mutt Lange and self produced. Not sure if Angus and Malcolm didn't want to use him or he was busy with Leppard on Pyromania. A very raw sounding album that wasn't radio friendly. Next album Fly On The Wall was terrible sounding, Brian's vocals sounded like someone ran over a cat's tail.

Brian Johnson is a bit screechy. I though either Angry Anderson (Rose Tattoo) or Doc Neeson (the Angels) might've been better.

Agree, and I thought he was an odd pick as a replacement back then.But my high school friend bought Back in Black the day it was released and played it daily for weeks...seemingly months on end. After that much exposure, it sort of grows on you whether you like it or not, and can't deny it's a great album w/some great tunes. For Those About To Rock (the tune itself) seemed a bit silly...well, sillier than anything else they'd released, and after that it all seemed sort of downhill from there. I still don't own anything from the Brian era, but when I get the urge I'll look up a few tunes from Back and Black on youtube and reminisce. I've always had copies of all things Bon though - they were truly legitimate back then.

PS - Hope all is well with you up in Seattle crholmstrom - been watching the news and for weeks now (maybe months?) it seems violence, chaos, and lawlessness has been the rule of the day with no end in sight. Stay safe. thumbs up

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 31, 2020 05:55

Hairball
crholmstrom
DGA35
skytrench
WTF schillid?

BIB...those were the days when nearly all the songs on the album were great, hard to top Hells Bells or Given the Dog a Bone. FTATR has grown on me and I like most of the songs on it as well now.

After they had peaked, it was only a few good tracks each on Flick and Blow. Same for the later albums where Brian was taken off the songwriting credits altogether. Those later albums are lacking good lyrics, I feel they should at least have let Brian handle that. But they always churn out a great song or two on their later albums.

I think I like Flick better than Those About To Rock. Biggest problem is they stopped using Mutt Lange and self produced. Not sure if Angus and Malcolm didn't want to use him or he was busy with Leppard on Pyromania. A very raw sounding album that wasn't radio friendly. Next album Fly On The Wall was terrible sounding, Brian's vocals sounded like someone ran over a cat's tail.

Brian Johnson is a bit screechy. I though either Angry Anderson (Rose Tattoo) or Doc Neeson (the Angels) might've been better.

Agree, and I thought he was an odd pick as a replacement back then.But my high school friend bought Back in Black the day it was released and played it daily for weeks...seemingly months on end. After that much exposure, it sort of grows on you whether you like it or not, and can't deny it's a great album w/some great tunes. For Those About To Rock (the tune itself) seemed a bit silly...well, sillier than anything else they'd released, and after that it all seemed sort of downhill from there. I still don't own anything from the Brian era, but when I get the urge I'll look up a few tunes from Back and Black on youtube and reminisce. I've always had copies of all things Bon though - they were truly legitimate back then.

PS - Hope all is well with you up in Seattle crholmstrom - been watching the news and for weeks now (maybe months?) it seems violence, chaos, and lawlessness has been the rule of the day with no end in sight. Stay safe. thumbs up

Thanks Hairball. Strange days for sure.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: July 31, 2020 08:37

Imo their last good album it's 'Stiff Upper Lip'.

Re: OT: Back in Black 40 Years Old.
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 8, 2020 19:41

DGA35
Hey Treaclefingers, not sure if you knew,one of AC/DC's first shows with Brian was in Vancouver, July 16, 1980 at the Coliseum concert bowl, 9 days before BIB would be released. Streetheart was the opening act. I cut out the review from the Vancouver Sun, the headline said This Highway To Hell One Big Headache!

Sorry I missed your note Deej...funny, I'd just bought The Streetheart album that year, and wasn't even aware of AC/DC until Back in Black came out...watching Casey Kasem's "America's Top 10" on TV with the Back in Black performance video.

He went into the story about the lead singer dying and it blew me away they replaced him so quickly. A few months later EVERYONE's favourite band was AC/DC while I started my Stones journey with the She's So Cold 45.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 8, 2020 19:51

KRiffhard
Imo their last good album it's 'Stiff Upper Lip'.

BLACK ICE is pretty good. Not as good as STIFF UPPER LIP but certainly better than anything before SUL and post FTATR.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 9, 2020 06:39

Black Ice was just way too long. That was its biggest issue. They haven't had a truly great album where more than 1/3 of it is good in an incredibly long time.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: August 10, 2020 04:52

RollingFreak
Black Ice was just way too long. That was its biggest issue. They haven't had a truly great album where more than 1/3 of it is good in an incredibly long time.

D@mn great tour though! Those guys were in fire!

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 10, 2020 06:32

RollingFreak

Same thing Stones fans here said about Bigger Bang about the length of the album/cd. Regarding a truly great album where more than 1/3 is good, I can't think of any band that has been around since the 60s/70s that have done that!

Date: August 10, 2020 06:36

treaclefingers
DGA35
Hey Treaclefingers, not sure if you knew,one of AC/DC's first shows with Brian was in Vancouver, July 16, 1980 at the Coliseum concert bowl, 9 days before BIB would be released. Streetheart was the opening act. I cut out the review from the Vancouver Sun, the headline said This Highway To Hell One Big Headache!

Sorry I missed your note Deej...funny, I'd just bought The Streetheart album that year, and wasn't even aware of AC/DC until Back in Black came out...watching Casey Kasem's "America's Top 10" on TV with the Back in Black performance video.

He went into the story about the lead singer dying and it blew me away they replaced him so quickly. A few months later EVERYONE's favourite band was AC/DC while I started my Stones journey with the She's So Cold 45.

Yes, suddenly every weekend highschool party I went to there was AC/DC being played! Atlantic Records suddenly rushes to release all of the Bon era albums in huge quantities and I'm discovering all the pre-Highway To Hell albums.

Date: August 10, 2020 06:52

DGA35
RollingFreak

Same thing Stones fans here said about Bigger Bang about the length of the album/cd. Regarding a truly great album where more than 1/3 is good, I can't think of any band that has been around since the 60s/70s that have done that!

Oh I agree. Listen, we all know in our heart of hearts the Stones haven't put out a GREAT album since Tattoo You lol. And I'm a big Bigger Bang fan. If you cut it down to 10 songs, I do genuinely think its far and away and easily their strongest effort since Tattoo You. But yeah, in its current form, its similar to Black Ice.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: August 10, 2020 17:08

RollingFreak
DGA35
RollingFreak

Oh I agree. Listen, we all know in our heart of hearts the Stones haven't put out a GREAT album since Tattoo You lol. And I'm a big Bigger Bang fan. If you cut it down to 10 songs, I do genuinely think its far and away and easily their strongest effort since Tattoo You. But yeah, in its current form, its similar to Black Ice.

I think the main similarity w/ AC/DC and the Stones in this regard is that despite any "flaws" in their albums (or whatever), they both continued to put out good quality-albums in the era(s) where they were considered "past their prime"....

but, what sets both of them apart (IMO) is that the live performances continued to be outstanding....b/c what you do on the "Killing Floor" is what separates the "men from the boys" (IMO).

....which is why Stones & AC/DC will always be #1 and #2 in my book....there's a huge drop to #3, IMO...and I'm not even sure who that is....

Pink Floyd is pretty dope...they're kinda in a league of their own, IMO.

but, like a lot of bands they have that "well, it's a shame ____ happened"

Date: August 14, 2020 05:54

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

Yes, suddenly every weekend highschool party I went to there was AC/DC being played! Atlantic Records suddenly rushes to release all of the Bon era albums in huge quantities and I'm discovering all the pre-Highway To Hell albums.

I think we had exactly the same childhood. How old were you in 1980? I was 15.

Date: August 15, 2020 01:53

treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

I was a year younger! It was all AC/DC for a while, then Tattoo You came out and suddenly it's all Stones, especially when the tour started. I didn't go down, but a lot of friends drove down to Seattle to see either of the Kingdome shows.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 18, 2020 18:26

Marquee Club
August 24 1976
Remaster 2020

[youtu.be]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: August 24, 2020 01:29

DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35
treaclefingers
DGA35

I was a year younger! It was all AC/DC for a while, then Tattoo You came out and suddenly it's all Stones, especially when the tour started. I didn't go down, but a lot of friends drove down to Seattle to see either of the Kingdome shows.

My parents wouldn't let me go down to Seattle, so the first show I saw was in 89, a pair of them in Vancouver.

Date: August 24, 2020 02:14

Saw both too. I just remember the excitement in the city, first time the Stones were in town since 72. I was a member of Hot Seats at the time so I could buy tickets before they went on sale. First show I got seats in the lower bowl around mid field. Second show I was row 2 on the floor, dead centre. Best seats I've ever had for any show!
Couple months prior I saw The Who at BC Place. Can't remember if they did 2 shows, too.

Date: August 25, 2020 16:24

DGA35
Saw both too. I just remember the excitement in the city, first time the Stones were in town since 72. I was a member of Hot Seats at the time so I could buy tickets before they went on sale. First show I got seats in the lower bowl around mid field. Second show I was row 2 on the floor, dead centre. Best seats I've ever had for any show!
Couple months prior I saw The Who at BC Place. Can't remember if they did 2 shows, too.

I was also at the Who show, I recall there only being one.

I was upper bowl for both shows, actually with the Who too. Just out of university and no dough.

I remember the excitement in the city, and the fact that I had tickets to both shows was unreal.

The Who though, for me, total disappointment. Never had a desire to see them again after that show. Saw Dylan I think it was 88. Same thing, really bad show (save the finale duet with Tracey Chapman on Knocking on Heaven's Door).

The good old days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-08-30 16:17 by treaclefingers.

Date: September 18, 2020 21:55

THEY ARE BACK spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
New album in november ?
Cliff, Brian, Stevie, Phil, Angus
From acdc.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-18 22:05 by powerage78.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 19, 2020 04:21

AC/DC singer Brian Johnson has revealed that his favourite song in the world is by The Beatles.

Get Back

Brian Johnson took over as singer of AC/DC in 1980, following the sudden death of Bon Scott. Since then the rock legend has been entertaining fans the world over. But can you guess his favourite song in the world, which happens to be by The Beatles? Appearing on Joe Walsh’s Old Fashioned Rock n’ Roll Radio Show, the host asked Johnson: “What’s your favourite song in the world"? The AC/DC legend replied: “Right off the top of me head, the thing that makes me smile every time I hear it is Get Back. And if you listen to Ringo’s drumming on there, it’s sensational.I remember somebody said to be, ‘Oh I could have wrote that’. And I said, ‘Well why didn’t you.’”

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: September 19, 2020 13:46

powerage78
THEY ARE BACK spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
New album in november ?
Cliff, Brian, Stevie, Phil, Angus
From acdc.com

This is great news but I can't see anything on acdc.com to confirm it, Powerage?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 19, 2020 14:20

Valeswood

This is great news but I can't see anything on acdc.com to confirm it, Powerage?

Me too. And there's also nothing about it on AC/DC's Twitter or Instagram (their Facebook-page doesn't work properly).

Posted by: bisonvodka ()
Date: September 19, 2020 14:26

I also checked acdc.com and find nothing. Anyway if true that Phil is on board again and new record is on the way its made my day.

Date: September 19, 2020 15:05

Until now nothing more than the same-same rumors. From [www.Express.co.uk] , 2-Sep-2020 :

AC/DC 2021 tour hopes shared by Brian Johnson: Speaking on Joe Walsh’s Old Fashioned Rock N’ Roll, the 72-year-old said of his 2021 touring hopes: “It would be lovely just to get out there, stand on that stage, and just give it everything you've got. “It's going to be the biggest roar you'll ever hear in your life, when any band, anywhere in the world, stands up there. “It's going to be brilliant!"

The AC/DC singer was also asked if he’d talked to Angus Young recently, and the 72-year-old gave an update on the guitarist’s health.

Johnson said: “Actually, it's the craziest thing. His wife, Ella, she loves to cook. “And that's what we were talking about - how to make scones. “It had nothing to do with music."

“And Angus is safe and well.”

The AC/DC singer also updated on how the rest of the band were doing, including what they’d been up to in lockdown.

He added: “And so is Phil [Rudd - AC/DC drummer]."

“Cliff [Williams - AC/DC bassist] is up in the mountains of North Carolina… “Cliff's a huntin' and shootin' and fishin' man."

“And I don't know where Stevie [Young - AC/DC rhythm guitarist] is. He's somewhere.”

Back in July, Twisted Sister’s Dee Snider updated on AC/DC’s new album, which has reportedly been recorded. Speaking with ABC, he said: “This is gonna be a miracle of technology. “What will be achieved, the reuniting of the band that we know for one more album, is gonna be uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time."

"Because nothing goes on forever. But this is the ultimate 'one more time'."
-- [www.Express.co.uk] .

At least it looks like the line-up is now again Angus, Brian, Stevie, Cliff & Phil. The times of AXL/DC seem to be over ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-19 15:20 by Irix.

Date: September 19, 2020 22:17

Pics are not on acdc.com anymore grinning smileycool smiley
They are from the video shooting done february 25 2020.

Date: September 20, 2020 08:55

I just this week listened to the first 6 AC/DC albums. High Voltage, Dirty Deeds, Let There Be Rock, Powerage, Highway To Hell, Back In Black, and the live If You Want Blood album. There's not a single bad song on those records. The Bon stuff was just so flat out incredible. Love Brian, and jesus the biggest coup for him was starting his run with Back In Black which gave him legitimacy to this day. But honestly, the Bon stuff is enough to live a career on and that band of Bon, Angus, Malcolm, Cliff and Phil... I don't think there was something they couldn't do that wasn't amazing. Every few years I forget just how flawless those Bon years were. Malcolm wrote unforgettable songs, Bon was a perfect frontman, and Angus was a masterful guitar player.

Date: September 20, 2020 10:16

Angus is (still) a masterful guitar player.

Posted by: ThePaleRider ()
Date: September 20, 2020 13:40

Someone once said that when listening to ACDC, they the greatest rock and roll band in history for about 3 songs. After that they start to become the worst rock and roll band in history...I'm not saying I agree but I somewhat understand the sentiment...

Date: September 21, 2020 16:34

Well...
eye rolling smiley drinking smiley

ThePaleRider
Someone once said that when listening to ACDC, they the greatest rock and roll band in history for about 3 songs. After that they start to become the worst rock and roll band in history...I'm not saying I agree but I somewhat understand the sentiment...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-21 16:34 by powerage78.

Date: September 21, 2020 16:40

powerage78

Well... eye rolling smiley drinking smiley

Wikiquote , [Twitter.com]: “I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young (AC/DC) . grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-09-30 14:55 by Irix.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 22, 2020 05:16

You take about 4 songs from the Bon Scott era, the best 4 off Back in Black, the best 4 thereafter and well...you have one of the greatest albums of all time.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8990919293949596979899...LastNext
Current Page: 94 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1880
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home