Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798...LastNext
Current Page: 93 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC stuff
Date: March 5, 2020 15:08

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
TooTough
So many bad feelings and sad decisions in there...Angus should
just end AC/DC and go on touring as, let´s say, "Angus Young´s
Rock´n´Roll Train".
If Phil, Cliff and Brian were still out of the picture, then I'd agree with you, but if the rumors are true, the "classic" Back in Black lineup (minus Malcolm, obviously) have patched things up enough to at least have recorded an album using Mal's old riffs, and may all tour together.

If they can pull that off, then it's worth one last go-around.

If anything about this being the last time out has been said I haven't seen it but it sure seems to fit: the amount of time between LPs has been getting ridiculous...

THE RAZORS EDGE 1990
BALLBREAKER 1995
STIFF UPPER LIP 2000
BLACK ICE 2008
ROCK OR BUST 2014

This bit from the wikipedee page is hilarious, really. ROCK OR BUST was the group's first album without founding member and rhythm guitarist Malcolm Young, who had retired from the band in 2014 due to health concerns, although he co-wrote every track on the album. Bass guitarist Cliff Williams has also retired since Rock or Bust was released, while drummer Phil Rudd was unable to participate in the supporting tour after being sentenced to house arrest, and vocalist Brian Johnson was forced to exit the band after the fifth leg of the album's supporting tour as a result of hearing loss. Further on about the tour, no mention of Johnson's departure and Axl taking over at all.

Although, when compared to the Stones...

STEEL WHEELS 1989.................THE RAZORS EDGE 1990
VOODOO LOUNGE 1994............BALLBREAKER 1995
BRIDGES TO BABYLON 1997......STIFF UPPER LIP 2000
A BIGGER BANG 2005................BLACK ICE 2008
BLUE AND LONESOME 2016.......ROCK OR BUST 2014

ac/dc though everything is an event. they rarely release hits packages or live albums and when they do they make it an event itself. the stones stopped making live albums a real event imo after stripped. from what I've heard starting with the razors edge there was some agreement to pretty much tour an album about 2 years and then release something that wasn't a studio albums. that's why we have
THE RAZORS EDGE 1990
AC/DC live-1992
BALLBREAKER 1995
Bonfire-1997
STIFF UPPER LIP 2000
Family Jewels- 2005
Plug me in- 2007

BLACK ICE 2008
Backtracks- 2009
Iron Man 2 soundtrack -2010
Live at river plate- 2012

ROCK OR BUST 2014

the things I bolded were things promoted a lot by the band as new product. there were live videos after ballbreaker and stiff upper lip but the band didn't seem to go hard pushing them

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-05 15:09 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 5, 2020 15:11

Huh, I never even realized that the Stones' and AC/DC's releases over the past 30 years lined up so perfectly. Good catch!

Seems like the guys in AC/DC just decided to slow down and enjoy life a little after a hectic schedule in the '70s and '80s...nothing wrong with that, but as someone relatively younger who didn't get into them until the mid '90s, it sucks that I haven't had more opportunities to see them live.

Yeah, that paragraph makes the band sound like a walking MASH unit.

Date: March 5, 2020 17:30

keefriff99
Huh, I never even realized that the Stones' and AC/DC's releases over the past 30 years lined up so perfectly. Good catch!

Seems like the guys in AC/DC just decided to slow down and enjoy life a little after a hectic schedule in the '70s and '80s...nothing wrong with that, but as someone relatively younger who didn't get into them until the mid '90s, it sucks that I haven't had more opportunities to see them live.

Yeah, that paragraph makes the band sound like a walking MASH unit.

yup they simply toured an album longer, take a year or so off. release some project that's not a new studio album and then start ramping up again for the next 2 year your and studio album. my guess is something is really happening then they tour will end in 2022 and that's it for AC/DC

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: March 11, 2020 12:00

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 11, 2020 22:04

thumbs up smileys with beer >grinning smiley<

Date: March 12, 2020 10:58

<the stones stopped making live albums a real event imo after stripped>

Some truth in that indeed. However, No Security is the only live album they have toured, so that one deserves a mention as well.

Date: March 12, 2020 14:02

DandelionPowderman

Some truth in that indeed. However, No Security is the only live album they have toured, so that one deserves a mention as well.

you got me. I forgot about that one altogether and it was really promoted by the band a lot. since then after the 40 live licks, which was more like a companion to 4 flicks, the band just drops live albums left and right as they are usually vault releases and there isn't a big push

Date: March 23, 2020 11:06

Columbus 1978 show >grinning smiley< :
[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Date: May 3, 2020 12:53

Brian speaks.
But no information about band future (classic AC/DC communication grinning smileyeye rolling smiley)

[m.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-03 12:55 by powerage78.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: May 3, 2020 20:50

Sammy Hagar and the Circle’s newest Lockdown Sessions video is a cover of the 1977 AC/DC classic “Whole Lotta Rosie.”

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: May 4, 2020 01:49

the only thing we need (musically) more than a new Stones single (and album) right now is a new AC/DC single (and album)...

"let there be rock!"

Date: May 9, 2020 17:17

Fantastic show, september 10, 1978, Columbus.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-05-09 17:17 by powerage78.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 17, 2020 12:00

[www.Qobuz.com] - (96kHz/24bit)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-17 21:25 by Irix.

OT: Back in Black 40 Years Old.
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 25, 2020 22:09

40 years ago today, Back in Black was released. Second biggest selling album of all time worldwide behind Thriller. In North America, the band wasn't huge, with Highway To Hell being the band's first gold album in the US in late 79.
After the release and subsequent huge sales, Atlantic released Dirty Deeds in North America in early 81 to capitalize on the band's popularity. The Bon era back catalog also became big sellers and all eventually went gold and multi platinum. Looking back to that time, I always found it amazing that within 5 months, the band mourned Bon's passing, found a new lead singer, and recorded the album.
Not a bad song on the album, from the opening funeral bells to the finale of R'n'R Ain't Noise Pollution. Love the album production from Mutt Lange, great sound, but got a bit too polished on the follow up Those About To Rock.

Re: OT: Back in Black 40 Years Old.
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 25, 2020 22:23

DGA35
Looking back to that time, I always found it amazing that within 5 months, the band mourned Bon's passing, found a new lead singer, and recorded the album.

Malcolm ran a tight ship... winking smiley

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: July 27, 2020 00:50

The album transformed the commercial reality of Hard Rock, the sheer consistency throughout, the sass & the utterly shameless strut is/was and always will be a palate cleanser in the face of crap music

Posted by: exil ()
Date: July 27, 2020 09:05

Doesn't Get Better than Back n Black.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 28, 2020 18:29

Though I prefer the Bon Scott years this is clearly their best album.

Date: July 28, 2020 21:07

Hey Treaclefingers, not sure if you knew,one of AC/DC's first shows with Brian was in Vancouver, July 16, 1980 at the Coliseum concert bowl, 9 days before BIB would be released. Streetheart was the opening act. I cut out the review from the Vancouver Sun, the headline said This Highway To Hell One Big Headache!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 29, 2020 17:45

the best album of the brian-era. but miles away from anything they did with bon.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 29, 2020 18:02

treaclefingers

thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 30, 2020 09:42

I've been listening to BACK IN BLACK recently. It's as good as ever, of course. I've also been listening to FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK. Yes it's not as good but it's still pretty good, especially the title track, Let's Get It Up, Inject The Venom, Evil Walks and Spellbound.

Breaking The Rules generally sounds like a POWERAGE leftover, the exception being the verses.

Night Of The Long Knives is fun if you want to get a neck ache.

FTATR is basically the last of their really good era of grooving great riffed out rock songs (and glaringly so their last really well produced album until STIFF UPPER LIP). I have everything except ROCK OR BUST but their next best album post FTATR is STIFF UPPER LIP and BLACK ICE is pretty damn good.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 30, 2020 17:01

You don't mention the only other track on For Those About To Rock that I don't mind, which is I Put The Finger On You lol. Only other songs besides the title track I even remotely cared about.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: July 30, 2020 20:35

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 30, 2020 21:12

WTF schillid?

BIB...those were the days when nearly all the songs on the album were great, hard to top Hells Bells or Given the Dog a Bone. FTATR has grown on me and I like most of the songs on it as well now.

After they had peaked, it was only a few good tracks each on Flick and Blow. Same for the later albums where Brian was taken off the songwriting credits altogether. Those later albums are lacking good lyrics, I feel they should at least have let Brian handle that. But they always churn out a great song or two on their later albums.

Date: July 30, 2020 22:51

skytrench
WTF schillid?

BIB...those were the days when nearly all the songs on the album were great, hard to top Hells Bells or Given the Dog a Bone. FTATR has grown on me and I like most of the songs on it as well now.

After they had peaked, it was only a few good tracks each on Flick and Blow. Same for the later albums where Brian was taken off the songwriting credits altogether. Those later albums are lacking good lyrics, I feel they should at least have let Brian handle that. But they always churn out a great song or two on their later albums.

I think I like Flick better than Those About To Rock. Biggest problem is they stopped using Mutt Lange and self produced. Not sure if Angus and Malcolm didn't want to use him or he was busy with Leppard on Pyromania. A very raw sounding album that wasn't radio friendly. Next album Fly On The Wall was terrible sounding, Brian's vocals sounded like someone ran over a cat's tail.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 31, 2020 00:13

I prefer Highway to Hell over Back In Black... Both great albums, but that’s my preference!

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: July 31, 2020 00:24

treaclefingers

Powerage is their masterpiece. For me anyhow. Best lyrics, best grooves, no filler.

Posted by: skytrench ()
Date: July 31, 2020 00:54

vertigojoe
Powerage is their masterpiece. For me anyhow. Best lyrics, best grooves, no filler.

Yeah, Powerage is just awesome together with High Voltage and Let There Be Rock. I felt Highway To Hell was a step down and Dirty Deeds a bit inconsistent.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 31, 2020 01:42

DGA35
skytrench
WTF schillid?

I think I like Flick better than Those About To Rock. Biggest problem is they stopped using Mutt Lange and self produced. Not sure if Angus and Malcolm didn't want to use him or he was busy with Leppard on Pyromania. A very raw sounding album that wasn't radio friendly. Next album Fly On The Wall was terrible sounding, Brian's vocals sounded like someone ran over a cat's tail.

Brian Johnson is a bit screechy. I though either Angry Anderson (Rose Tattoo) or Doc Neeson (the Angels) might've been better.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8889909192939495969798...LastNext
Current Page: 93 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1833
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home