Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596...LastNext
Current Page: 91 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC stuff
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 24, 2020 22:20

Good call!

Powerage
Highway to Hell
Let There Be Rock
High Voltage
Dirty Deeds

Date: February 24, 2020 22:36

brian years ranking

Back in Black
The Razor's Edge
For Those About to Rock
Ballbreaker
Rock or Bust
Stiff Upper Lip
Flick of the Switch
Black Ice
Blow Up Your Video
Fly on the Wall

i'll say though that blow up your video and black ice have 2 of the best brian Johnson era tunes

Date: February 24, 2020 22:45

It's weird, FTATR has NEVER resonated with me beyond the title track, which is of course a classic. I've revisited it here and there over the years but it never clicks. It's heavy, loud and has great production, but most of the songs feel hollow.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 24, 2020 23:33

I think it's got some great tunes besides the title track: Put The Finger on You, C.O.D., Let's Get It Up, Night of the Long Knives, Inject the Venom, Evil Walks, and Snowballed.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: February 24, 2020 23:40

Breaking the Rules!

Date: February 24, 2020 23:54

VoodooLounge13
I think it's got some great tunes besides the title track: Put The Finger on You, C.O.D., Let's Get It Up, Night of the Long Knives, Inject the Venom, Evil Walks, and Snowballed.

evil walks is a monster tune

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 25, 2020 02:44

keefriff99
It's weird, FTATR has NEVER resonated with me beyond the title track, which is of course a classic. I've revisited it here and there over the years but it never clicks. It's heavy, loud and has great production, but most of the songs feel hollow.

I think the production is a bit too slick compared to BIB which has great production but a bit of a darker tone. Mutt would then take it a step further with the next few Leppard albums.

Next AC/DC album would be Flick of the Switch, self produced, which was literally a complete 180 degree turnaround. Very raw, Let There Be Rock style, but not very radio friendly.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: February 25, 2020 09:43

Well smileys with beer

Lots of hidden gems on For Those, Put the finger on you, Evil Walks, Snowballed, Inject the venom.

Minimalist production for Flick, but solid songs for sure, rather courageous approach after For those in particular.

Back in grace with The Razors Edge, with the planetary hit Thunderstruck, the last real one of the band, in 1990 not so bad spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Real solid songs on Fly et Blow Up (great in concerts), but the production is missed (Brian sings from a cellar on Fly), damned 80s.

Love Stiff Upper Lip (fantastic sound), so bluesy, the little brother of Powerage, intimate, roots and obvious. Great album.

Black Ice is too long, 5 titles are dispensable.

I like Rob Or Bust, wobbly but appealing album, crepuscular too.

A new album, a Tour, viva AC/DC.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-25 11:08 by powerage78.

Date: February 25, 2020 15:02

powerage78
Well smileys with beer

Lots of hidden gems on For Those, Put the finger on you, Evil Walks, Snowballed, Inject the venom.

Minimalist production for Flick, but solid songs for sure, rather courageous approach after For those in particular.

Back in grace with The Razors Edge, with the planetary hit Thunderstruck, the last real one of the band, in 1990 not so bad spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Real solid songs on Fly et Blow Up (great in concerts), but the production is missed (Brian sings from a cellar on Fly), damned 80s.

Love Stiff Upper Lip (fantastic sound), so bluesy, the little brother of Powerage, intimate, roots and obvious. Great album.

I just want to say about thunderstruck, the bands biggest hit from that album and actually the biggest hit our their entire career in the USA was moneytalks not thunderstruck. shame they ignore moneytalks now

Date: February 25, 2020 15:13

DGA35
keefriff99

I think the production is a bit too slick compared to BIB which has great production but a bit of a darker tone. Mutt would then take it a step further with the next few Leppard albums.

Next AC/DC album would be Flick of the Switch, self produced, which was literally a complete 180 degree turnaround. Very raw, Let There Be Rock style, but not very radio friendly.
Yeah, the production is slick, but I still like it. At least to my ears, it didn't quite cross over into that Def Leppard/Hysteria bubblegum sheen.

It's certainly not a bad album and there are some catchy tunes aside from the lumbering title track, but compared to their other albums, I hardly revisit it for some reason.

Date: February 25, 2020 15:17

keefriffhard4life
powerage78
Well smileys with beer

I just want to say about thunderstruck, the bands biggest hit from that album and actually the biggest hit our their entire career in the USA was moneytalks not thunderstruck. shame they ignore moneytalks now
I wonder if it has something to do with Phil Rudd. The only songs they've played that he didn't drum on originally since he returned are Thunderstruck and Who Made Who (and I think they only played that once or twice on the Ballbreaker tour).

Date: February 25, 2020 15:39

Yes, but worldwide, and still today, it's Thunderstruck.

keefriffhard4life
powerage78
Well smileys with beer

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 25, 2020 16:51

keefriffhard4life
the biggest hit our their entire career in the USA was moneytalks not thunderstruck. shame they ignore moneytalks now

TK is a classic timeless song while MT is B-grade material, the kind of stuff one of the Young bros (Malcolm?) could write in an afternoon...

Date: February 25, 2020 17:04

Moneytalks is too happy-sounding and pop for AC/DC. I'm not surprised it was a huge hit but it's never been a favorite of mine.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 25, 2020 17:16

MoneyTalks is an incredible song. I'd kill for them to write a song like that again lol.

Thunderstruck is overplayed at this point, but indeed a classic and yes, the last known song by them.

A hidden gem of theirs from Black Ice: Rock N Roll Dream. I'd argue there's no other song in their cannon like that and is phenomenal.

Date: February 25, 2020 17:16

powerage78
Yes, but worldwide, and still today, it's Thunderstruck.

keefriffhard4life
powerage78
Well smileys with beer

still today? that's because the band pushes thunderstruck and ignore moneytalks

Date: February 25, 2020 17:22

RollingFreak
A hidden gem of theirs from Black Ice: Rock N Roll Dream. I'd argue there's no other song in their cannon like that and is phenomenal.
Agreed! It's basically their only "ballad", or as close to a ballad as AC/DC will ever get in the Brian era.

Some people might consider Ride On a ballad because it's quieter, but that's really just a straight blues tune.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 25, 2020 17:29

keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
Brian tells a story about being inspired to write Hells Bells in the Bahamas based on a storm rolling in. I think Mutt Lange said that the storm was "coming on like a hurricane", and Brian cranked the lyrics that afternoon.

A lot of artists only have a finite amount of inspiration...maybe Brian peaked lyric-wise on BiB and couldn't really follow up effectively.

But I don't think Brian is a bad writer, even on their later '80s albums...very basic, but not bad. I don't the lyrics truly took a nosedive until Angus and Malcolm took over starting with The Razor's Edge...as I said, they make Brian look like peak Bob Dylan.

well the razors edge album was fine. it was after that it went kaboom
That album really leaves me cold. The production is too polished and Chris Slade's drumming is way too stiff.

All the good songs off that album sound much better on AC/DC Live, and the rest are forgettable. Honestly, I've probably listened to even Fly on the Wall and Blow Up Your Video more than The Razor's Edge over the years.

THE RAZORS EDGE is awful. I thought FLY ON THE WALL was bad but it's nowhere near as bad as TRE. Money Talks is the best of the 2 singles. Thunderstruck is too calculated and cheesy, its only saving grace is that it moves and rocks.

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK is pretty good album. Sure, it's not BACK IN BLACK - and nothing has been that good since. It would seem that Rick Rubin got his dream producing HARD AS A ROCK - oops, I forgot it's called BALLBREAKER - but the album is flat. STIFF UPPER LIP is the best thing since BIB, and BLACK ICE was really good, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-25 17:34 by GasLightStreet.

Date: February 25, 2020 17:46

I don't think Ang and Mal were too impressed with Rick Rubin. Although it was nice to have Phil Rudd back on the drum throne and the cheesy '80s style production stripped away, the album lacked guitar crunch, and the songwriting was largely piss poor.

Some great riffs though, which is almost always a given with AC/DC.

Date: February 25, 2020 18:06

GasLightStreet
keefriff99
keefriffhard4life
keefriff99
Brian tells a story about being inspired to write Hells Bells in the Bahamas based on a storm rolling in. I think Mutt Lange said that the storm was "coming on like a hurricane", and Brian cranked the lyrics that afternoon.

A lot of artists only have a finite amount of inspiration...maybe Brian peaked lyric-wise on BiB and couldn't really follow up effectively.

But I don't think Brian is a bad writer, even on their later '80s albums...very basic, but not bad. I don't the lyrics truly took a nosedive until Angus and Malcolm took over starting with The Razor's Edge...as I said, they make Brian look like peak Bob Dylan.

well the razors edge album was fine. it was after that it went kaboom
That album really leaves me cold. The production is too polished and Chris Slade's drumming is way too stiff.

All the good songs off that album sound much better on AC/DC Live, and the rest are forgettable. Honestly, I've probably listened to even Fly on the Wall and Blow Up Your Video more than The Razor's Edge over the years.

THE RAZORS EDGE is awful. I thought FLY ON THE WALL was bad but it's nowhere near as bad as TRE. Money Talks is the best of the 2 singles. Thunderstruck is too calculated and cheesy, its only saving grace is that it moves and rocks.

FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK is pretty good album. Sure, it's not BACK IN BLACK - and nothing has been that good since. It would seem that Rick Rubin got his dream producing HARD AS A ROCK - oops, I forgot it's called BALLBREAKER - but the album is flat. STIFF UPPER LIP is the best thing since BIB, and BLACK ICE was really good, too.

I agree with some of what you said.

Date: February 27, 2020 10:07

Fingers cross drinking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-27 10:08 by powerage78.

Date: February 27, 2020 15:05

powerage78
Fingers cross drinking smiley

I've heard sept/oct timeframe release and then someone on here said Australia tour this fall and usa early next year

Date: February 27, 2020 15:08

Dee Snider gabs about rumored AC/DC album

I don't know where Dee gets off spilling all these details based on private conversations with Brian...AC/DC runs a notoriously tight ship, and him running his mouth like this must irk their camp.

Having said that, I'm excited to hear what they've come up with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-27 15:09 by keefriff99.

Date: February 27, 2020 21:52

keefriff99
RollingFreak
Agreed! It's basically their only "ballad", or as close to a ballad as AC/DC will ever get in the Brian era.

Some people might consider Ride On a ballad because it's quieter, but that's really just a straight blues tune.

Ride On reminds me of Jesus Just Left Chicago by ZZ Top.

Date: February 27, 2020 23:16

keefriff99
RollingFreak

what about "love song"?

Date: February 28, 2020 03:08

Steve Newton, the Vancouver journalist for The Georgia Straight who first posted about the band recording in Vancouver, has an article containing a picture that an AC/DC fan sent supposedly from Amsterdam for their new video shoot. Pic is a bit blurry.
Don't know how to post it but it's at www.straight.com

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: February 28, 2020 04:09

For the annual Festival of Perth, about 12kms of one of Perth's main arterial roads to the city, Canning Highway, are, on Sunday, closed off from Canning Bridge to Fremantle from 1pm to 10pm to hold a special one-off AC/DC "Highway to Hell" event. Entertainment will be set up all along the highway with food trucks etc, and flat bed tracks will actually be cruising the 12kms of highway with the highlight being of course, some belting out AC/DC music!

To CROSS the highway in this approx. 12 kms of distance there will only be 4 out of about 120 crossroads open! Traffic will be horrendous.

They are expecting over 200,000, and some say 250,000, members of the public to attend this Festival event.

Should be a blast!

Rod

Date: February 28, 2020 09:43

DGA35
Steve Newton, the Vancouver journalist for The Georgia Straight who first posted about the band recording in Vancouver, has an article containing a picture that an AC/DC fan sent supposedly from Amsterdam for their new video shoot. Pic is a bit blurry.
Don't know how to post it but it's at www.straight.com

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 28, 2020 15:15

"I will say he [Malcolm] will be present"... yes we know they sampled his guitar riffs and injected them into the raw tracks recorded in Vancouver, so yeah Malcolm will be on the next (last?) album.

Date: February 28, 2020 15:22

looks like a classic ACDC video clip set.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8687888990919293949596...LastNext
Current Page: 91 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1803
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home