Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: August 3, 2018 15:32

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
Ket
I had thought Brian Johnson was still in the band to record, he just was not able to perform live. Am I mistaken?

+ he has performed on stage after he quit the band as well..

Brian Johnson is out of AC/DC and they lied about why (because he's done studio recording and live performances since) and I assume have no intention of explaining the real reason. Would be cool to see a new Axl/DC album but sorry, it won't be AC/DC. Angus Young does not AC/DC make. And I'm skeptical of Phil coming back. The guy tried to kill someone, I think they permanently cut ties with him. Slade is more reliable anyway.

But why would Brian lie about it?
Pure speculation, but a few ideas:

- There may have been some legal severance package/gag order deal going on. I know Brian is already very wealthy, but corporate lawyers pull all sorts of tricks to keep people from divulging inner workings.
- Even though Brian is hurt/pissed off, he doesn't want to drag Angus' name through the mud out of respect for Malcolm, who he seemed to have more of an affinity for.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 3, 2018 16:58

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
Ket
I had thought Brian Johnson was still in the band to record, he just was not able to perform live. Am I mistaken?

Brian Johnson is out of AC/DC and they lied about why (because he's done studio recording and live performances since) and I assume have no intention of explaining the real reason. Would be cool to see a new Axl/DC album but sorry, it won't be AC/DC. Angus Young does not AC/DC make. And I'm skeptical of Phil coming back. The guy tried to kill someone, I think they permanently cut ties with him. Slade is more reliable anyway.

I don't know the inner details. No one does. What I do know is Brian has said he is better, has recorded in the studio and done live performances since leaving AC/DC, who claimed he no longer could sing live due to hearing problems. With what has transpired, and the shadiness of the whole situation itself, its assumed that was BS. What the real reason was, no one knows. But it didn't go down the way they say and as for why Brian isn't saying, its most likely because he's a classy guy. I don't hate Angus at all, but clearly something strange went on there, and for whatever reason Brian has decided to take the high road and not saying anything bad. Because in the end, he's out of the band anyway, so saying stuff only hurts fans and the legacy of the band. But it seems fairly accepted that what the official statement was was a lie and Brian isn't lying, he just not clearing it up. I wish them luck, it was good when I saw them, but its not AC/DC.

And if you want to talk about lying, talk about what Jim Bruer said when Brian left. He said he spoke to Brian and they basically left his stuff on the curb and took off. No one knows how true that is but why would Jim of all people have any reason to lie? That would only lead to the end of his friendship with Brian and a lot of bad press if it wasn't true. There's no reason to do that. As a fan, I think he simply said too much from a very real conversation he had with Brian and he couldn't hold it because it seemed so insanely inconceivable to someone who had been in the band for 30 years. You can ask why Brian would lie, but why the hell would some comedian lie? And Brian also never refuted what Jim said.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-03 17:01 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: August 3, 2018 18:16

RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman
Ket

I don't know the inner details. No one does. What I do know is Brian has said he is better, has recorded in the studio and done live performances since leaving AC/DC, who claimed he no longer could sing live due to hearing problems. With what has transpired, and the shadiness of the whole situation itself, its assumed that was BS. What the real reason was, no one knows. But it didn't go down the way they say and as for why Brian isn't saying, its most likely because he's a classy guy. I don't hate Angus at all, but clearly something strange went on there, and for whatever reason Brian has decided to take the high road and not saying anything bad. Because in the end, he's out of the band anyway, so saying stuff only hurts fans and the legacy of the band. But it seems fairly accepted that what the official statement was was a lie and Brian isn't lying, he just not clearing it up. I wish them luck, it was good when I saw them, but its not AC/DC.

And if you want to talk about lying, talk about what Jim Bruer said when Brian left. He said he spoke to Brian and they basically left his stuff on the curb and took off. No one knows how true that is but why would Jim of all people have any reason to lie? That would only lead to the end of his friendship with Brian and a lot of bad press if it wasn't true. There's no reason to do that. As a fan, I think he simply said too much from a very real conversation he had with Brian and he couldn't hold it because it seemed so insanely inconceivable to someone who had been in the band for 30 years. You can ask why Brian would lie, but why the hell would some comedian lie? And Brian also never refuted what Jim said.

Don't know how much Brian Johnson has performed since he left AC-DC. I know he performed with Mike Fleetwood in a club show, but that is something completely different than performing in big stadium shows. Recording has never been an issue - that doesn't affect his hearing problems. The big problem is the loudness on stadium shows.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 3, 2018 19:10

Some of you would rather see them break up AC than have Axl do the lead vocals?man, I don’t know guys you may want to pump the breaks a bit.
Axl’s voice is closer to Bon Scott’s than it is to Brian’s.
You might just get a great record of some vintage sounding stuff.
I think I’d trust Angus on this one,after 5 decades you gotta think he may just know what he’s doing.

Date: August 3, 2018 22:29

lem motlow
Some of you would rather see them break up AC than have Axl do the lead vocals?man, I don’t know guys you may want to pump the breaks a bit.
I think I’d trust Angus on this one,after 5 decades you gotta think he may just know what he’s doing.

LOL @#$%& that, you know you're twisting words. You know I said end AC/DC with some DIGNITY. I love Guns N Roses, I'm thrilled Axl is singing some Bon Scott deep cuts. I actually think its the kick AC/DC needed. But its not AC/DC. Its Angus and Friends. Its Angus and Axl. Its the same way Axl went out with all those fake Guns N Roses people. We all know what the real band is and in a span of 4 years all but Angus are gone. I have no problem with Angus continuing, I love that he's singing with Axl. I don't think it should be called AC/DC because I don't believe it is. Obviously the overwhelmingly stupid general public will disagree with me because they see Angus in the schoolboy outfit and hear Back In Black and to them thats AC/DC. Angus doesn't care about the fan like me that wants Crabsody In Blue or Go Down, nor should he. He should continue on his own or buddied with Axl under a different name making great music. Break out of that rigid AC/DC shell now that literally everyone else is gone. Get off your high horse. If you like it thats fine but don't tell anyone else to pump the breaks, we're entitled to our opinion and many fans think what's happened to AC/DC in the last 5 years is pretty appalling.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: August 4, 2018 00:22

AC/DC bluegrass:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 4, 2018 01:05

RollingFreak
lem motlow

LOL @#$%& that, you know you're twisting words. You know I said end AC/DC with some DIGNITY. I love Guns N Roses, I'm thrilled Axl is singing some Bon Scott deep cuts. I actually think its the kick AC/DC needed. But its not AC/DC. Its Angus and Friends. Its Angus and Axl. Its the same way Axl went out with all those fake Guns N Roses people. We all know what the real band is and in a span of 4 years all but Angus are gone. I have no problem with Angus continuing, I love that he's singing with Axl. I don't think it should be called AC/DC because I don't believe it is. Obviously the overwhelmingly stupid general public will disagree with me because they see Angus in the schoolboy outfit and hear Back In Black and to them thats AC/DC. Angus doesn't care about the fan like me that wants Crabsody In Blue or Go Down, nor should he. He should continue on his own or buddied with Axl under a different name making great music. Break out of that rigid AC/DC shell now that literally everyone else is gone. Get off your high horse. If you like it thats fine but don't tell anyone else to pump the breaks, we're entitled to our opinion and many fans think what's happened to AC/DC in the last 5 years is pretty appalling.
I agree, but you and I have had this conversation before.

I've come to the conclusion that if a band replaces key member(s), goes out on tour and manages to sell most of their tickets, then they're still successfully intact as a band.

- The Eagles replaced Glenn Frey and are playing arenas all around the U.S. this summer.
- Donald Fagen replaced Walter Becker (in a TWO-MAN BAND, for Chrissakes), and is still touring amphitheaters and theaters as Steely Dan.

Die-hards and snobs may tut-tut and claim the REAL band is dead, but ultimately, their opinions are fairly negligible as long as the bands are still selling out shows, making money and making the people who attend their shows happy.

Lots of AC/DC purists think the real band died with Bon, and dislike Brian's hard rock screeching and dumbed-down lyrics.

Others think (and I have one foot in this camp) that the band died the second Malcolm had to retire. Everyone with any knowledge knows that, despite his quiet and unassuming demeanor, he was the disciplined taskmaster and leader of the band, in addition to being the most rock-solid rhythm guitarist in rock'n'roll. Stevie can PLAY the riffs, but he can never replace Mal as a person.

But you know that plenty of people will go see Axl/DC with no Mal, no Cliff, and potentially no Phil and think they're seeing AC/DC, or not care enough to know it's not the real AC/DC as long as they can drink beer and sing along to Back In Black.

Date: August 4, 2018 01:47

I know they will and everything you said is 100% correct, especially Mal who WAS the band. But its sad no bands like to keep their dignity anymore and I also just hate that the concert going public in general is so stupid or uncaring. Its just a sorry state of affairs. Again, couldn't care less but I can just say a lot about it easily. It is what it is. This thing they did was fine for a farewell (even though what they presumably did to Brian was ridiculous) and I believe it should continue under a different name now even though it won't.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 4, 2018 03:35

Bad Company is touring again with Paul Rogers and drummer Simon Kirk being the only original members. Evidently Mick Ralphs is still considered a member (?), but isn't on the tour nor was he on the last tour. Saw them a couple of years ago at the L.A. Forum with Rich Robinson filling in on guitar (along with another guitar player), and it was quite good....nostalgia all the way. They'll be playing at the L.A. County Fair next month, and might make an effort to see them. Can't really go wrong with that as the cheap tickets include free entrance into the fair itself - fried food, ferris wheels, animals, and Bad Company!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-04 03:37 by Hairball.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 6, 2018 10:40

keefriff99

- There may have been some legal severance package/gag order deal going on. I know Brian is already very wealthy, but corporate lawyers pull all sorts of tricks to keep people from divulging inner workings.

Instead of legal barrage it might just be sheer logic and loyalty. Brian knows that if the Yong bros hadn't picked to replace Bon today he'd be stuck in Glasgow [or another UK town >grinning smiley< ], on welfare, or still gigging in pubs at 70+ to make ends meet.

If Brian can enjoy the life of a Floridian retired millionaire he owes it entirely to Mal and Angus. That'd help him to keep his mouth shut, no?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-06 17:26 by dcba.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 6, 2018 17:10

Hairball
Bad Company is touring again with Paul Rogers and drummer Simon Kirk being the only original members. Evidently Mick Ralphs is still considered a member (?), but isn't on the tour nor was he on the last tour. Saw them a couple of years ago at the L.A. Forum with Rich Robinson filling in on guitar (along with another guitar player), and it was quite good....nostalgia all the way. They'll be playing at the L.A. County Fair next month, and might make an effort to see them. Can't really go wrong with that as the cheap tickets include free entrance into the fair itself - fried food, ferris wheels, animals, and Bad Company!

The other guitar player is Howard Leese, who has been playing with both Bad Co. (as a second guitarist) and Paul Roger's solo band for years. Before that, he was with Heart from 1975 to 1997.....and before that, he went to my high school and even dated a friend of mine's sister.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 6, 2018 17:15

dcba
keefriff99

Instead of legal barrage it might just be sheer logic and loyalty. Brian knows that if the Yong bros hadn't picked to replace Bon today he'd be stuck in Glasgow, on welfare, or still gigging in pubs at 70+ to make ends meet.

If Brian can enjoy the life of a Floridian retired millionaire he owes it

entirely to Mal and Angus. That'd help him to keep his mouth shut, no?

Why Glasgow? Brian is from Newcastle....and he probably would have been a Porsche mechanic if he didn't make it in the music business.

Date: August 6, 2018 17:59

dcba
keefriff99

Instead of legal barrage it might just be sheer logic and loyalty. Brian knows that if the Yong bros hadn't picked to replace Bon today he'd be stuck in Glasgow [or another UK town >grinning smiley< ], on welfare, or still gigging in pubs at 70+ to make ends meet.

If Brian can enjoy the life of a Floridian retired millionaire he owes it entirely to Mal and Angus. That'd help him to keep his mouth shut, no?
Sure, and Brian is extremely classy, but someone asked why he's not telling the truth about what happened...I just provided an idea as to why he may have been compelled to clam up.

Date: August 6, 2018 19:49

BluzDude
Hairball

The other guitar player is Howard Leese, who has been playing with both Bad Co. (as a second guitarist) and Paul Roger's solo band for years. Before that, he was with Heart from 1975 to 1997.....and before that, he went to my high school and even dated a friend of mine's sister.

Thanks for those details bluzdude as I had no idea who he was ...he's been around...a local boy done good! thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 7, 2018 12:49

We have to wait.
And if Angus ask Cliff to come in Vancouver, will he be able to say no ? grinning smiley
For sure Phil is the drummer for the band...

[youtu.be]

[youtu.be]

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-07 12:50 by powerage78.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 7, 2018 16:05

powerage78

The guy must have walked across all Australia on his knees [then swimming to NZ with his hands tied behind his back winking smiley ] to be accepted back in the band by Angus. grinning smiley
It's possible that his gig with AC/DC will end as soon as the recording sessions are over. For the tour will Angus re-hire the super-reliable (and drug-free) Chris Slade...?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-09 11:14 by dcba.

Date: August 7, 2018 16:16

dcba
powerage78

The guy must have walked across all Australia on his knees to be accepted back in the band by Angus. grinning smiley
It's possible that his gig with AC/DC will end as soon as the recording sessions are over. For the tour will Angus re-hire the super-reliable (and drug-free) Chris Slade...?

But will they let him out of New Zealand? winking smiley

Date: August 7, 2018 16:30

Yes they will.

Date: August 7, 2018 16:39

If Angus, Stevie, Cliff and Phil are ALL onboard, then I would be interested in hearing what they do with Axl. Any less than all four of them, and I'm pretty ambivalent.

I think Cliff is done though. He doesn't strike me as the wishy-washy type. He bowed out and that's that.

Date: August 8, 2018 00:42

Dick Jones drum tech of Phil since 1980 is in Vancouver too.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 8, 2018 07:17

Just posted on Warehouse studios instagram is a pic of Brian and Phil outside the studio!!! Don't know how to link the pic.
Warehouse is owned by Bryan Adams btw.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 8, 2018 08:11

Steve Newton has now posted an updated article on the Georgia Straight website about the pic of Brian and Phil at Warehouse. His friends who live nearby took the pic.

Date: August 8, 2018 08:25

Here you go DGA35 - pic and update here: AC/DC

AC/DC rumour update: photo shows Phil Rudd and Brian Johnson in Vancouver

by Steve Newton on August 7th, 2018 at 8:48 PM

For all those AC/DC fans who've been hoping and praying that Brian Johnson would get back in the band--and that Axl Rose would go back to Guns N' Roses, where he's welcome--it appears as if those prayers have been answered.

A few days ago I posted a blog reporting that Phil Rudd and Stevie Young had been spotted in downtown Vancouver. A lot of folks seemed to think it was "fake news", and wanted photographic proof.

Well, here ya go.

Vancouver resident (and hardcore AC/DC fan) Crystal Lambert has an apartment located near Warehouse Studios in Gastown, and she and longtime friend Glenn Slavens have been keeping an eye on the studio's outside deck, where various band members seemingly retreat to get some air, use the barbie, and drink coffee (or perhaps Jack Daniels) from white mugs.

As you can see from the above photo, taken by Glenn two days ago, Rudd appears to be sharing a laugh with none other than Brian @#$%& Johnson! He's the longtime AC/DC singer who was replaced on tour by Axl Rose when hearing problems took him down after the release of 2014's Rock or Bust album.

Could it be that Rudd and Johnson are chuckling because they just recorded the best AC/DC tune since "Back in Black"?

I'd like to think so.

Good news hopefully as Axl has no place on an AC/DC album.

Date: August 8, 2018 10:32

Yeahhhhhhhhdrinking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: August 8, 2018 11:18

Great news!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-08 11:19 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: August 8, 2018 11:45

Sorry, but I was hoping to get an album with Axl...none of the recent Brian releases are any good to my ears (live is a different thing of course)

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: August 8, 2018 14:00

I dig this

Date: August 8, 2018 14:32

>grinning smiley<

Date: August 8, 2018 14:39

FrogSugar
Sorry, but I was hoping to get an album with Axl...none of the recent Brian releases are any good to my ears (live is a different thing of course)

Whats funny is despite all my complaining, so would I. I'm sure it wouldn't really change the quality of the music, but Brian/DC albums of late haven't been that great so it would be interesting if Axl changes that, and then just as a GNR fan to hear Axl record anything new in the studio.

Having said that, Brian and Phil ARE AC/DC, they are apart of it. So if Angus has realized the error of his ways and is trying to continue the band in a respectful manner by bringing those guys back on board, I'm all for it. Mainly cause I'd just like to know what happened with Brian didn't happen the way they said and if he's recording with them then it looks like they've mended fences and thats all I want.

Date: August 8, 2018 14:42

RollingFreak
FrogSugar

Whats funny is despite all my complaining, so would I. I'm sure it wouldn't really change the quality of the music, but Brian/DC albums of late haven't been that great so it would be interesting if Axl changes that, and then just as a GNR fan to hear Axl record anything new in the studio.

Having said that, Brian and Phil ARE AC/DC, they are apart of it. So if Angus has realized the error of his ways and is trying to continue the band in a respectful manner by bringing those guys back on board, I'm all for it. Mainly cause I'd just like to know what happened with Brian didn't happen the way they said and if he's recording with them then it looks like they've mended fences and thats all I want.

Maybe both Axl and Brian will be on the album? Axl was also observed outside the Warehouse according to the first reports, wasn't he?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home