Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: September 30, 2017 13:33

Can't Brian come back with his new technique in ear? He did play a concert with another band, didn't he?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-30 13:34 by Stonesfan2146.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 30, 2017 14:33

Ask Angus...smileys with beer

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 30, 2017 18:21

Brian was not kicked out for an ear problem. Maybe at the time but it was not the permenant thing they implied. They obviously wanted him out, we don't know why. From his abrupt and rather rude farewell, as well as their joint press announcements of it, he's not coming back. You either live with the lie they told or you don't support them anymore. Its sad, but 100% we all know there's more to that Brian Johnson thing but neither of them are saying it. Its not what they said it was though, Brian is quite clearly fine and for some reason they wanted him out. Or else he'd be back.

Date: September 30, 2017 18:34

+1.
Yes.
We'll know soon...

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: September 30, 2017 19:38

RollingFreak
Brian was not kicked out for an ear problem. Maybe at the time but it was not the permenant thing they implied. They obviously wanted him out, we don't know why. From his abrupt and rather rude farewell, as well as their joint press announcements of it, he's not coming back. You either live with the lie they told or you don't support them anymore. Its sad, but 100% we all know there's more to that Brian Johnson thing but neither of them are saying it. Its not what they said it was though, Brian is quite clearly fine and for some reason they wanted him out. Or else he'd be back.
Well said! Brian obviously had some issues with his hearing, but it was exaggerated and used as an excuse to sack him.

With Malcolm out of the picture, Angus is the only member of the band who could have made that happen.

Date: September 30, 2017 19:53

Brian apparently wanted less touring even since the Black Ice Tour. It must have been quite warm when he said to Angus that he could no longer ensure the end of the tour. Angus did not like it at all.
I love Brian but I do not think we'll see him again on stage with AC/DC. I hope I'm wrong but the page is turned Imo.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 30, 2017 20:07

Wish they would get someone other than Axl...he carries so much baggage it's hard to overlook and takes away all the joy.
Several bands have found great new singers that were in tribute bands...I'm sure there's plenty out there who would be ready and willing to let it rock!

Date: September 30, 2017 20:19

powerage78
Brian apparently wanted less touring even since the Black Ice Tour. It must have been quite warm when he said to Angus that he could no longer ensure the end of the tour. Angus did not like it at all.
I love Brian but I do not think we'll see him again on stage with AC/DC. I hope I'm wrong but the page is turned Imo.
As soon as Brian was gone, the setlists got longer and more varied. They added in a bunch of Bon-era tunes that haven't been played in decades.

Angus must have felt restricted by what the band could perform onstage by Brian's age and voice, since he's almost a decade older and smokes like a chimney. I mean, EVERYONE in AC/DC smokes like a chimney, but it's different for a vocalist, especially one who sings in Brian's register.

I just think treating AC/DC like it's just the "Angus Young Spotlight" is wrong. It's a BAND, way bigger than one person. Switching members in and out with younger performers so they can keep up with Angus is not what a band is all about. I'll be very curious to see if Chris Slade sticks around, as he's almost 70, and who they get for a new bassist.

Date: September 30, 2017 20:22

Hairball
Wish they would get someone other than Axl...he carries so much baggage it's hard to overlook and takes away all the joy.
Several bands have found great new singers that were in tribute bands...I'm sure there's plenty out there who would be ready and willing to let it rock!
That's a great point. Axl did a kickass job vocally, but he's such a volatile, sulky personality that the joy of Brian-era AC/DC wasn't onstage anymore. Brian is a naturally upbeat and gregarious performer, and that got lost when Axl was onstage, even if the vocals were greatly improved.

Date: September 30, 2017 20:27

I also think Angus is kidding himself if he honestly believes he can perform like he's accustomed to for another 10 years. Yeah, I was amazed he was still able to duckwalk and headbang the way he did on the past tour at 60 years old, but he's not Mick Jagger. He smokes like a fiend and doesn't seem put any effort into taking care of himself physically. I don't know how he does it honestly, but I'd say he has maybe one tour left in him before age catches up to him.

Date: September 30, 2017 20:28

Live Wire, Touch Too Much (first time live), Riff Raff...

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 30, 2017 21:11

I'm still mad at myself for not making the 4-hour drive to Belgium last year to see AXL/DC. Frankly, if Brian's out, I'm just as happy with Axl in there. He's a fan and his voice fits in just fine.
As Brian wasn't a Bon clone, I'm ik to hear a 3rd "new" voice in AC/DC. (and while we're on this topic, my top clone choice would be Mark Storace from Krokus!)

Date: September 30, 2017 21:35

"Keep on as long as you can. It's our band".
Think that is what Malcolm said to his young brother in the begining of 2014.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 30, 2017 22:09

Wouldn't it be ironic if Brian went on tour with Phil Rudd!

Date: September 30, 2017 22:40

For sure...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 30, 2017 22:51

And get Mark Evans on bass!

Date: September 30, 2017 23:06

DGA35
Wouldn't it be ironic if Brian went on tour with Phil Rudd!
I doubt Brian wants to be publicly associated with Phil after what he did. Supposedly they're still friendly (according to Phil, for what that's worth) but Brian is pretty clean-cut.

Date: September 30, 2017 23:06

grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Date: September 30, 2017 23:29

powerage78
grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley
Well I'm serious! I think Phil has cleaned up his act, but he's always been a weird guy. I really don't think anyone in AC/DC wants to be associated with him unfortunately, even though he's such a kickass drummer.

Date: September 30, 2017 23:39

Angus doesn't want to handle this kind of things anymore...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-30 23:40 by powerage78.

Date: September 30, 2017 23:44

That's for sure. Angus hates drama of any kind.

Date: October 1, 2017 16:57

I'm a fan of original bands. The fact that in 3 years time AC/DC lost 4 of its 5 classic era members that they had for over 30 years was extremely sad. Thats old age, its how it goes, but at that point I say you fold the band. When Malcolm left, I get it, you had an album, you wanted to tour it and you kept the replacement in the family. But from there it should have been a farewell tour, at their age. When Phil got caught for killing a guy it became "ok, thats insane, but I guess you get a different drummer and go out." When you lose Brian, thats just too much. Add on that then Cliff said this tour was his last, you lost every member and AC/DC is not Angus even though I was impressed by him. Its a band! Tour as Angus but do not dilute the AC/DC brand, that they did such a good job NOT diluting for 40 years. That was my complaint, and obviously the one of many longtime fans. End with dignity, not replacement members.

Having said that, the only plus side to this tour and the reason I had to go was I'm a massive GNR fan so I had to see Axl, but more importantly I love those Bon songs. Brian left and whether it was a gimmick to get fans like me or because they really wanted to play those songs and Brian couldn't, they added like every song I had wanted to hear from decades and never thought I would. Smart move, at least for me, I HAD to go. I couldn't miss them playing Rock And Roll Damnation, Riff Raff, If You Want Blood, Live Wire, High Voltage, Sin City. It was just too good. I'm happy it happened once though. It was a fitting farewell, even if you basically through Brian under the bus midtour. You saved yourselves with that song selection. But end it now and don't become a parody. AC/DC CAN go on with just Angus and that name, but by all means we all know they shouldn't.

Date: October 1, 2017 17:14

Agree.
That's why I still dream Brian will come back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-01 17:20 by powerage78.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: October 1, 2017 18:02

RollingFreak
I'm a fan of original bands. The fact that in 3 years time AC/DC lost 4 of its 5 classic era members that they had for over 30 years was extremely sad. Thats old age, its how it goes, but at that point I say you fold the band. When Malcolm left, I get it, you had an album, you wanted to tour it and you kept the replacement in the family. But from there it should have been a farewell tour, at their age. When Phil got caught for killing a guy it became "ok, thats insane, but I guess you get a different drummer and go out." When you lose Brian, thats just too much. Add on that then Cliff said this tour was his last, you lost every member and AC/DC is not Angus even though I was impressed by him. Its a band! Tour as Angus but do not dilute the AC/DC brand, that they did such a good job NOT diluting for 40 years. That was my complaint, and obviously the one of many longtime fans. End with dignity, not replacement members.

Having said that, the only plus side to this tour and the reason I had to go was I'm a massive GNR fan so I had to see Axl, but more importantly I love those Bon songs. Brian left and whether it was a gimmick to get fans like me or because they really wanted to play those songs and Brian couldn't, they added like every song I had wanted to hear from decades and never thought I would. Smart move, at least for me, I HAD to go. I couldn't miss them playing Rock And Roll Damnation, Riff Raff, If You Want Blood, Live Wire, High Voltage, Sin City. It was just too good. I'm happy it happened once though. It was a fitting farewell, even if you basically through Brian under the bus midtour. You saved yourselves with that song selection. But end it now and don't become a parody. AC/DC CAN go on with just Angus and that name, but by all means we all know they shouldn't.

+1! One of the things I loved most about this band - not once in 40+ years did they ever vary. They played and gave fans straight up RnR. Sometimes it sold really well, and sometimes notsomuch, but they stuck to their roots! And they had managed to stay pretty much intact for most of that time. That's incredible. To carry on now, is a dilution well beyond anything imaginable. It would be like Keith trying to go out under the Stones brand with all replacements...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 1, 2017 19:28

Angus could call the band ANGUS YOUNG and the AC/DC Experience...or simply The AC/DC Experience...similar to what Jason Bonham does.
But at least with the Angus Experience you would have an original member who is truly the face of the band, and probably the main factor in their sound imo.

Date: October 1, 2017 20:03

Angus is the face of the band. The schoolboy outfit gimmick was truly a brilliant idea and the fact that it still works onstage as a 60 year old is a testament to that.

But Malcolm's rhythm guitar has always been the foundation of the band. Rock Or Bust worked because I think they still had some unused Malcolm riffs to build songs around, and Stevie played using Mal's equipment.

But four years removed from Malcolm, Phil and Cliff leaving? That's not AC/DC.

Date: October 2, 2017 00:51

keefriff99
Angus is the face of the band. The schoolboy outfit gimmick was truly a brilliant idea and the fact that it still works onstage as a 60 year old is a testament to that.

But Malcolm's rhythm guitar has always been the foundation of the band. Rock Or Bust worked because I think they still had some unused Malcolm riffs to build songs around, and Stevie played using Mal's equipment.

But four years removed from Malcolm, Phil and Cliff leaving? That's not AC/DC.

Yup, exactly. Listen, I saw this last tour. Angus is incredible. I'm not taking that away from him. I know how good he is and even I was astounded, astounded. I can't say it enough. He very easily CAN go on with any singer. The audience is sadly that fickle and Angus is that good. But he shouldn't. I'll be interested to see what happens though. I'll give him some credit and wait. But yeah, just Angus ain't AC/DC and, ironically just like Axl should have done, he should tour under his own name. You don't ruin a brand and fans are more accepting. Play all the AC/DC you want, you should, but a band is a thing, not this interchangeable team. That used to mean something, especially to bands of this age. They know what a real band is and they'll continue under a guise that makes them the most money even though they have more than enough already. Axl should have toured as Axl Rose for 15 years, Angus should tour as Angus Young from now on. We all know that. Whether he does, we'll see.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: October 2, 2017 10:24

RollingFreak
Axl should have toured as Axl Rose for 15 years, Angus should tour as Angus Young from now on. We all know that.

We all know that but they think in corporate terms : a band name is a brand and it's worth dozens (hundred?) of million dollar.

Why did Axl manage to be the sole owner of the name/brand "Guns and Roses"?

Date: October 2, 2017 13:51

dcba
RollingFreak
Axl should have toured as Axl Rose for 15 years, Angus should tour as Angus Young from now on. We all know that.

We all know that but they think in corporate terms : a band name is a brand and it's worth dozens (hundred?) of million dollar.

Two theories, probably related: Slash and Duff claim they were forced to sign it over before a show one night or Axl refused to go on. Axl doesn't really deny that, but usually throws out that they were on too many drugs at the time and it was safer in his hands. There was always things they needed sign offs for. Axl couldn't put out DVDs without Slash signing off on the Guns songs and Slash couldn't do the same. But Axl was legally allowed to tour as Guns as sole owner. I guess the DVD thing was more publishing and the name thing was more brand/ he's also the only one that never left so by default he gets it.

Posted by: shattered1978 ()
Date: October 2, 2017 15:48

"Guns n Roses" comes from the 2 original founders: Tracii Guns (who also formed L.A. Guns) and Axl Rose. When Tracii Guns left, Slash joined.

I guess that gave Axl the user rights, no doubt after legal misery. They were from the first day surrounded by intellectual property lawyers.
Axl is the proof that legal superiority doesn't mean shit in rock n roll.

RollingFreak
dcba
RollingFreak

Two theories, probably related: Slash and Duff claim they were forced to sign it over before a show one night or Axl refused to go on. Axl doesn't really deny that, but usually throws out that they were on too many drugs at the time and it was safer in his hands. There was always things they needed sign offs for. Axl couldn't put out DVDs without Slash signing off on the Guns songs and Slash couldn't do the same. But Axl was legally allowed to tour as Guns as sole owner. I guess the DVD thing was more publishing and the name thing was more brand/ he's also the only one that never left so by default he gets it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1953
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home