Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6667686970717273747576...LastNext
Current Page: 71 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 8, 2016 00:06

hopkins
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Chris Williams retiring. Won't record or tour. That's it for the band?

It's the sign that
A- Brian will never come back and
B - Angus will continue touring with younger (30-40 y.o.) guys.

Wanna bet?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 8, 2016 02:11

His name is Cliff.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: July 8, 2016 03:10

TooTough
His name is Cliff.

whoops very sorry, thanks. I'll edit-correct in my post.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 8, 2016 16:21

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 9, 2016 01:37

HERALD SUN -- 9 July 2016

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 9, 2016 02:16

Pretty sad to see quite literally every member leave AC/DC besides Angus. Used to be a band that just 4 years ago had literally every member from their classic 1980 lineup.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 9, 2016 02:22

Happy 70th birthday, Bon! smileys with beer

This is probably my favorite AC/DC song from that era.

High Voltage

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: July 9, 2016 02:33

Angus gives this speech daily... over? OVER?!!!! NOTHING IS OVER!!!
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-09 02:34 by jambay.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 9, 2016 03:31

dcba
hopkins
[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Chris Williams retiring. Won't record or tour. That's it for the band?

It's the sign that
A- Brian will never come back and
B - Angus will continue touring with younger (30-40 y.o.) guys.

Wanna bet?
I suspect you're 100% correct.

I can't believe this has happened to AC/DC, of all bands. For decades, they were one of the biggest bands on the planet while also being the most drama-free.

There were no scandals, no tabloid nonsense, no media sniping between disgruntled bandmates, no integrity-crushing sellouts to commercial interests, no cheesy talk show appearances or dubious team-ups with the hot new artist of the moment.

Just amazing, no-frills, blue-collar rock'n'roll served up every few years, and then back to their personal lives and off the public radar.

As someone else said, only four years ago, the Back In Black lineup was fully intact, and now it's in ruins.

It's apparent (as the rumors suggested) that Angus was extremely eager to jettison Brian once he started having health issues. He couldn't just fire him for being old, but the legitimate hearing issues gave him a perfect excuse. Notice how much longer and more varied the setlists got immediately once Axl signed on.

I love Angus and think he's one of the greatest showmen in rock'n'roll history, but he thinks he's Peter Pan and has little loyalty for his aging bandmates who aren't as blessed with good health and vitality as he is. Now I'm even curious if he'll keep the 69 year old Chris Slade on.

Date: July 9, 2016 03:40

keefriff99
I can't believe this has happened to AC/DC, of all bands. For decades, they were one of the biggest bands on the planet while also being the most drama-free.

There were no scandals, no tabloid nonsense, no media sniping between disgruntled bandmates, no integrity-crushing sellouts to commercial interests, no cheesy talk show appearances or dubious team-ups with the hot new artist of the moment.

Just amazing, no-frills, blue-collar rock'n'roll served up every few years, and then back to their personal lives and off the public radar.

As someone else said, only four years ago, the Back In Black lineup was fully intact, and now it's in ruins.

It's apparent (as the rumors suggested) that Angus was extremely eager to jettison Brian once he started having health issues. He couldn't just fire him for being old, but the legitimate hearing issues gave him a perfect excuse. Notice how much longer and more varied the setlists got immediately once Axl signed on.

I love Angus and think he's one of the greatest showmen in rock'n'roll history, but he thinks he's Peter Pan and has little loyalty for his aging bandmates who aren't as blessed with good health and vitality as he is. Now I'm even curious if he'll keep the 69 year old Chris Slade on.

Agree with every word of this. This was like the model of a perfect rock band for so long that its sad to see it so quickly becoming like everyone else.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 9, 2016 04:23

RollingFreak
keefriff99

Agree with every word of this. This was like the model of a perfect rock band for so long that its sad to see it so quickly becoming like everyone else.

keefriff99 thank you.

Date: July 9, 2016 10:34

keefriff99

Thx! grinning smiley
Imho again with the AXL/DC tour Angus has "tasted blood" and he won't stop. By taste of blood I mean what it feels to be onstage with a "young" guy (Rose is 54) who's eager to rock. With all respect due Brian didn't have this in him in 2015.

Plus for the AXL/DC tour ANgus was finally able to tune to "concert tuning" again and that must make a huge difference : for the last two tours with Brian all the guitars were detuned/tuend lower to E flat. Doing this puts less stress on the singer voice but it also gives the music a muddy sound.

With standard/concert tuning you get a more cutting stinging live sound. I'm sure ANgus is eagerto work with someone who can sing the band's repertoire in the orginal album keys and not one key lower.

Date: July 9, 2016 20:21

dcba
keefriff99

Thx! grinning smiley
Imho again with the AXL/DC tour Angus has "tasted blood" and he won't stop. By taste of blood I mean what it feels to be onstage with a "young" guy (Rose is 54) who's eager to rock. With all respect due Brian didn't have this in him in 2015.

Plus for the AXL/DC tour ANgus was finally able to tune to "concert tuning" again and that must make a huge difference : for the last two tours with Brian all the guitars were detuned/tuend lower to E flat. Doing this puts less stress on the singer voice but it also gives the music a muddy sound.

With standard/concert tuning you get a more cutting stinging live sound. I'm sure ANgus is eagerto work with someone who can sing the band's repertoire in the orginal album keys and not one key lower.
I get it on some level. It's gotta be frustrating dealing with the realities of aging when you're a band known for crazy and energetic live shows.

I'm sure Mick got frustrated that Keith and Ronnie haven't always pulled their weight live due to either age or intoxication, but a band is a BAND. It's more than a collection of musicians. It's about the camaraderie and the history of making music and surviving over the years, for better or worse.

Sure, Angus could potentially recruit a bunch of a 30 year olds from tribute bands who can play the music note-for-note perfect like it's 1979 all over again, but it would be utterly devoid of charm.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: July 9, 2016 20:28

How-a-bout Angus doing a blues album?

Date: July 9, 2016 23:22

shattered
How-a-bout Angus doing a blues album?
That'd be great, but doubtful. Angus is kinda trapped in his hard rockin' schoolboy persona.

Date: July 9, 2016 23:51

A blues album under the "Angus Young blues project" moniker = you fill clubs.
Another "AC/DC" album = you fill stadiums.

Which option is Angus going to choose in 2018? >grinning smiley<

Date: July 10, 2016 07:42

dcba
A blues album under the "Angus Young blues project" moniker = you fill clubs.
Another "AC/DC" album = you fill stadiums.

Which option is Angus going to choose in 2018? >grinning smiley<
Pretty much. I think Angus has made up his mind.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: August 2, 2016 10:06

Angus Young interview for Rolling Stone mag :

[www.rollingstone.com]

Who else would you like to play with if you had the shot ?
You'd have to resurrect a lot of people from the dead, I think [laughs]. I'd sit down with Keith Richards, do something. He's a rhythm guy like Mal.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 2, 2016 12:57

OK. I'm going to get killed for this one but here goes: Bring Angus into the Stones! It would be a huge kick in the @$$ that is much needed, IMHO. Plus, I think it would be huge fun! I luv that video from Sydney where Angus pushes Mick out of the way to do the solo on Rock Me Baby. So funny & the playing was great too.

Date: August 2, 2016 16:45

powerage78
Angus Young interview for Rolling Stone mag :

[www.rollingstone.com]

Who else would you like to play with if you had the shot ?
You'd have to resurrect a lot of people from the dead, I think [laughs]. I'd sit down with Keith Richards, do something. He's a rhythm guy like Mal.
I definitely have a bit more sympathy for Angus after reading that. I like that he admitted the possibility that continuing on after Malcolm fell ill may have been a mistake. It's rare for big artists to be that candid.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 2, 2016 16:54

crholmstrom
OK. I'm going to get killed for this one but here goes: Bring Angus into the Stones! It would be a huge kick in the @$$ that is much needed, IMHO. Plus, I think it would be huge fun! I luv that video from Sydney where Angus pushes Mick out of the way to do the solo on Rock Me Baby. So funny & the playing was great too.

To quote the Stones, "He's so young". His name as well as his age!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: August 3, 2016 19:45

Decent Rolling Stone interview. I hardly think he admittedly a "mistake", but its nice to see him acknowledge it. Its not like someone like Pete Townshend hasn't said the same thing about Keith Moon. Its the old standby "we thought 'can we go on?' and then realized they would have wanted us too!"

As for the future, obviously Angus can do whatever he wants. I'm a major GNR fan, so to see Axl make new music with them would be cool. It'd suck cause he never seems to want to with Guns, but I'd love it if Angus can actually sit Axl down enough to make a record. I still think call the "band" something different. Without Bon, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff and Phil it just isn't really AC/DC so I would understand ending this tour as that and then would hope he continues as something else. But hey, his decision.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 3, 2016 23:05

RollingFreak
Decent Rolling Stone interview. I hardly think he admittedly a "mistake", but its nice to see him acknowledge it. Its not like someone like Pete Townshend hasn't said the same thing about Keith Moon. Its the old standby "we thought 'can we go on?' and then realized they would have wanted us too!"

As for the future, obviously Angus can do whatever he wants. I'm a major GNR fan, so to see Axl make new music with them would be cool. It'd suck cause he never seems to want to with Guns, but I'd love it if Angus can actually sit Axl down enough to make a record. I still think call the "band" something different. Without Bon, Malcolm, Brian, Cliff and Phil it just isn't really AC/DC so I would understand ending this tour as that and then would hope he continues as something else. But hey, his decision.

Interesting.....like out of the ashes of the Yardbirds came Led Zeppelin....
now, out of the ashes of AC/DC and perhaps Guns & Roses we'll get another supergroup?

The only thing that drives me crazy about thinking of this idea is wondering if Angus would give up his school boy outfit and they way he moves about on stagedrinking smiley

Date: August 4, 2016 16:29

RollingFreak

I suppose so. Since Angus is being more introspective in this interview than I'm used to, I may be giving him more credit than he perhaps deserves.

Date: September 21, 2016 15:27

Footage of Cliff Williams' last-ever concert with AC/DC:

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Date: September 21, 2016 15:29

Slash was there last night too.

Date: September 21, 2016 15:47

... not onstage though. They played "Problem Child" at that show! thumbs up

Date: September 21, 2016 15:48

dcba
I know...badass! Haven't had a chance to watch the footage yet. I'll check it out after work.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: September 21, 2016 16:18

So now...Is there a future for AC/DC? Cliff Williams is bowing out. Will the public accept Angus Young plus whoever as being a legitimate incarnation of AC/DC? Inquiring minds want to know...

"Gonna find my way to heaven ..."

Date: September 21, 2016 17:06

dcba

Yup, didn't mean to imply that! Just there to support Axl.

As for them continuing, I could see it going either way. I went last week to MSG and it was definitely a show. Not better than when I saw them 8 years ago, but different. It didn't quite feel like AC/DC, it felt like a monster supergroup. Having said that, it was good and it was unique. For me as a hardcore AC/DC fan, it was made for me by the old songs. Hearing Angus do stuff like If You Want Blood, Live Wire, Riff Raff and several others which I never thought I'd see him do was amazing. Almost half the set was new from the last time I saw them and that is insanely rare seeing AC/DC. And Axl killed it.

Obviously the audience doesn't really care about that. They just wanna see Angus. And I gotta hand it to him, Angus still delivers. That man ran around like a freak for 2 and a half hours straight, never once leaving the stage or slowing down. Its incredible to see this far down the line and while I knew he could still do it, it didn't really hit me till I was at the shows. He could easily still do this and call it AC/DC. At one point I even said "its wrong to MAKE him stop at this age if he's still this good." He should keep going. I personally still don't think it should be under the AC/DC name (cause they were a BAND), but for many he still puts on the AC/DC show. And if they kept Axl there, I could still see them having a life. But Angus really does still have it. It'll be interesting to see where they go from here. I bet they continue, I just can't tell whether it'll be with Axl or not. With Cliff being gone though, I think this is my farewell. I miss Brian and Malcolm, and without Cliff or Phil also there this is just Angus. Cool to see Chris Slade though!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6667686970717273747576...LastNext
Current Page: 71 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home