Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 11, 2016 18:17

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmileys with beerhot smiley>grinning smiley<smoking smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 11, 2016 18:38

thumbs up

it's definitely still there, against all odds, apparently

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: May 11, 2016 19:16

No Malcolm..... No AC/DC, and now with Brian gone it's even worse! However, if Angus was determined to go on he has pulled it off with Axl. They are sounding good, and Axl is the perfect choice.

Shame about the leg though!

Date: May 11, 2016 21:36

[www.blabbermouth.net]

COREY TAYLOR: 'Who Are We To Decide When It's Time For AC/DC To Be Done?'

SLIPKNOT and STONE SOUR frontman Corey Taylor has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. The legendary Australian rock band postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced "total hearing loss." AC/DC has since announced that it will use GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" for all remaining shows this year, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.

During the question-and-answer portion of his May 8 solo show at Koko in London, England, Taylor was asked to give his opinion on the Rose-AC/DC pairing. He responded (see video below): "That's an interesting question. You're not the only one to ask me that."

He continued: "There are several ways to look at that situation. There are AC/DC fans who are, like, 'You know what? I just wanna see them play for, like, the last eight, nine shows and then see what happens.' There are other people who are, like, '@#$%& that! I don't like the way they handled the whole Brian situation,' which I can totally see. However, none of us are behind the scenes. None of us know what's been going on. None of us know anything. And I learned that lesson with the GUNS N' ROSES thing. I mean, I'm talking about… I'm a huge GUNS N' ROSES fan. So when [the classic GN'R lineup] started to kind of come back together, I was, like, 'Meh.' But then, talking to some of them, I really saw the whole picture and was, like, 'Okay, I can get behind this.'"

Taylor went on to say: "So I don't know enough about what is going on behind the scenes [in the AC/DC camp]. I can certainly appreciate the fact that Angus [Young, AC/DC guitarist] wants to finish those shows. 'Cause here's the thing you've gotta understand: he's been doing gigs since he was 17 years old. He has been giving everything — and I mean everything he's @#$%& got — night after night after night after night for @#$%& fifty years.

"Who are we, who are we to decide when it's time for AC/DC to be done or not? Am I @#$%& right, or am I @#$%& right?"

Corey added: "Is it gonna be the same? No! Nothing's ever the same. I don't think it was the same after @#$%& Phil [Rudd, former AC/DC drummer] left. So it's never gonna be the same. You know what I'm saying?

"For me… The biggest bumout for me is that Malcolm [Young, retired co-founding AC/DC guitarist] won't be a part of those shows; that's the saddest part of that. I mean, I feel bad for Brian, as a singer, but the saddest part of that is that Malcolm won't be a part of those last eight shows, and he @#$%& should be. That man has written every @#$%& song they did. So that's me. That's me. I can go either way with it, but because I don't know a lot about it, I'm not gonna make any judgments."

According to a Billboard.com source, Rose initially met with AC/DC members in Miami and Atlanta back in March. It was then that the decision was made to have Rose join AC/DC on tour. There was also talk of having other singers alternate with Rose, including ex-SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach and Nic Cester of the Australian band JET.

Rose made his live debut with AC/DC on Saturday night (May 7) in Lisbon, Portugal, and by all accounts delivered a triumphant vocal performance as fill-in for Johnson even if he was still confined to a chair onstage due to the broken foot he suffered during a GUNS show last month.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 21:40 by powerage78.

OT: ACDC - explain why they are so great.
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 11, 2016 20:29

Is it a generational thing? Young music fans today are so ...'deep' - I tried to explain to my niece that the lyrics to ACDC don't matter, and she was kind of like,..Huh?
Everything has to be either pretty and conventional like Adele, or ironic and profound and 'rootsy' or whatever they define as 'rootsy'

I was just watching year's Grammy performance...and couldn't help being amused at the some of the audience reactions. You can tell the ones that got it, mostly the older ones, and the ones that were like..perplexed.
You see Dave Grohl and Blake Shelton rocking out like excited kids, but then you see a slightly bemused Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift. They're really trying to sway to the music, but you can tell its just weird to them.

Are kids today able to appreciate something so primal and basic and just balls-to-the-wall rock and roll?

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT: ACDC - explain why they are so great.
Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 11, 2016 20:40

It's a shame - but maybe except for us older folks, the kids of today really don't seem to get it. I overhear the songs that my teenage kids are listening to and there's no backbeat, no guitars and I don't get THAT! I guess it's no different than when I was a kid and I'd hear older people extolling the virtues of Liberace and Sinatra, while pointing out the music of the Stones and the Beatles as meaningless noise! Every generation seems to respond to the music they feel belongs to them. There will always be exceptions. My 19 year old son likes classic rock; his friends listen to Kanye West. sad smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 11, 2016 21:04

I'm over 50 but never got AC/DC smoking smiley

Every person has different tastes in music, and that's OK.

Date: May 11, 2016 21:06

True Rock'n roll.
Fun.
Noisy.

Have to notice the banf has succeed in renewing his audience... Lots of young people
in the crowd.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 11, 2016 21:17

Their songs and guitar-sound rocks but I have never liked their singers...In my World it's the singer not the song that Counts...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: May 11, 2016 21:21

Koen
I'm over 50 but never got AC/DC smoking smiley

Every person has different tastes in music, and that's OK.

True, I had a friend my age who never liked ACDC. Of course not everyone liked them, but I guess my point was that ACDC was, in a way, the antithesis of what modern audiences like today...things have to be clean, politically correct and deep.
I can't think of any new artists that personifies what they had.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 11, 2016 21:23

stupidguy2
then you see a slightly bemused Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift

Sheeran will be forgotten next year and Swift is a pop singer whose music relies on beat boxes and keyboards. She uses a rock image onstage just to add weight to her tepid music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 22:39 by dcba.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 11, 2016 22:29

They are so great because they are midgets (ask Keith) playing the most pumped up ROCK (AND have/had some ROLL too).
Just Great songs. hot smiley Simple lyrics.
I got all albums, some on vinyl (from when I was a kid) and all except Rock or Bust because Malcolm is not on it.

I don't give a damn about AC/DC supposed poor lyrics. They are spot on.

My taste in music today is wider though... and my taste in lyrics even more at age 52.

I like to quote stupidguy2 two posts ago:

True, I had a friend my age who never liked ACDC. Of course not everyone liked them, but I guess my point was that ACDC was, in a way, the antithesis of what modern audiences like today...things have to be clean, politically correct and deep.

Edit: Axl Rose vocals ...thumbs down... , but I must admit I really got goosebumps watching a YouTube clip with him singing Shoot To Thrill.......
Some other songs got me more eye rolling smileyconfused smileyeye popping smileygrinning smileysad smileyangry smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 22:35 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 11, 2016 22:39

If you put on the legendary Let There Be Rock concert from Paris and still don´t get it, you just don´t get it.

Date: May 11, 2016 22:42

RipThisBone
They are so great because they are midgets (ask Keith) playing the most pumped up ROCK (AND have/had some ROLL too).
I got all albums, some on vinyl (from when I was a kid) and all except Rock or Bust because Malcolm is not on it.

My taste in music today is wider though... and my taste in lyrics even more at age 52.

Edit: Axl Rose vocals ...thumbs down... , but I must admit I really got goosebumps watching a YouTube clip with him singing Shoot To Thrill.......
Some other songs got me more eye rolling smileyconfused smileyeye popping smileygrinning smileysad smileyangry smiley

'They are so great because they are midgets (ask Keith) playing the most pumped up ROCK (AND have/had some ROLL too)...'
That might be the best explanation of ACDC I've ever seen!

Date: May 11, 2016 22:51

The Worst.
If you put on the legendary Let There Be Rock concert from Paris and still don´t get it, you just don´t get it.

For me the test is Back in Black in its entirety. If that doesn't get you, you're dead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 22:52 by stupidguy2.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: May 11, 2016 22:53

i am 50.never liked them!

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 11, 2016 23:02

It would appear OP's name could not be more appropriate.

The generalisation and attempted discussion here is absolutely ridiculous, and shows how out of touch some older people are.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 11, 2016 23:05

I have the utmost respect for them and love certain songs but I gotta agree with Come On in that I have never liked any of their singers' voices. Having said that, the riffs are awesome-Walk All over You (used to cover that one and it always brought the house down), You Shook me All Night Long, Money Talks.

It's funny-once they became huge with Highway to Hell and Back In Black when I was in high school they became the band of choice for the headbangers at my school who hated punk rock and wanted to fight the punk rockers (of whom I was one). so I may still resent them a bit for that , though that's obviously not their fault. Funny how divided the camps were back then, at least where I grew up. A few years before that they were actually kind of considered punk rockers themselves by some folk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 23:05 by andrewm.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: May 11, 2016 23:08

stupidguy2
RipThisBone

'They are so great because they are midgets (ask Keith) playing the most pumped up ROCK (AND have/had some ROLL too)...'
That might be the best explanation of ACDC I've ever seen!

You Are Right. Thank you! hot smileyhot smileyhot smiley

My favourite song is.... UP TO MY NECK IN YOU!!!

Gonna look at it again now on YouTube. Munich 2001 with Brian Johnson vocals.
They did not play it in Köln that year, I was there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 23:15 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: May 11, 2016 23:10

dcba
stupidguy2
then you see a slightly bemused Ed Sheeran and Taylor Swift

Sheeran will be forgotten next year and Swift is a pop singer whose music relies on beat boxes and keyboards. She uses a rock image onstage just to add weight to her tepid music.

Maybe you guys need to stop watching the Grammy's as a measurement of current music. There is a lot of real rock music out there.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 11, 2016 23:10

AC/DC aside, I think plenty of kids can and do appreciate the songs we listened to, especially if they have an obsessive rock and roll parent who constantly exposes them to the music. winking smiley

But most of them will never understand the role that rock played in the lives of their parents' generation. But then I can't really connect to hip hop and rap, though I do like many of the songs.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 12, 2016 00:08

I only somewhat liked AC/DC when Bon Scott was still alive.
Favorite AC/DC tune - It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll), thanks in large part to the bagpipes. And next would be Highway to Hell - an all time classic.
After that, maybe a few tunes from the Back in Black album only because a friend of mine played it relentlessly when it was released.
Everything after that.........meh....... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 12, 2016 00:34

Favorite AC/DC tune - It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'n' Roll),

Often referred to down here in Aussie Land as ..... It's a Long Way to the Shop (If You Want a Sausage Roll)

ROCKMAN

Date: May 12, 2016 00:36

latebloomer
AC/DC aside, I think plenty of kids can and do appreciate the songs we listened to, especially if they have an obsessive rock and roll parent who constantly exposes them to the music. winking smiley

But most of them will never understand the role that rock played in the lives of their parents' generation. But then I can't really connect to hip hop and rap, though I do like many of the songs.

This has got to be satire.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: May 12, 2016 01:01

the problem with a lot of todays young folk is they are not conditioned to trying to find great music, instead they listen to what they are drip fed from todays society where as my generation that grew up in the 80,s searched up the generation before them to find great music.

i got into the stones in 1987 at the age of 19, a little over a year later the pub and club scene was awash with hiphop and crap like that and people who were around 2 years younger than me were into all that crap.

i remember a night out around 1989 or 1990 and i got so fed up with the lack of real tunes i asked the dj sarcastically if he could play something different for a change to which he replied sorry im not allowed. says it all really.

and if you asked a dj for stones songs then you got a weird look followed by satisfaction usually cut short with perplexed looks from those in the bar,seconds later some hiphop trash would come on.

Date: May 12, 2016 01:07

buttons67
the problem with a lot of todays young folk is they are not conditioned to trying to find great music, instead they listen to what they are drip fed from todays society

Give me a ****ing break!

The amount of fiction and generalisation going on here is ridiculously offensive.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 12, 2016 01:13

Simmer down Bastion, there are always plenty of exceptions and you are clearly one of them...and yes, I will concede that I might just be talkin crap.
What I was trying to say is that every generation has a unique connection to the music of their youth. We like to think we're different that way, but we're not.

Posted by: jambay ()
Date: May 12, 2016 01:48

This is one of those threads where you can simply read the profile name and predict with 100% accuracy what the person posted.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 12, 2016 01:49

I know of, and enjoy, a few of their more well-known numbers, but AC/DC are not a band I'm particularly eager to explore further. I genuinely understand why so many enjoy and take much from their music, but it's bland-sounding rock n' roll for white people. I prefer a little more colour; a little more culture, perhaps. If you want to swig a few cans of Victoria Bitter, whilst playing pool and drooling over the blonde barmaid, then Australia's Status Quo may be your thing; otherwise, meh.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 12, 2016 02:08

AC-DC? I hate yelling...............

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home