Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more - now with Axl Rose
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: May 10, 2016 21:39

Kudos for Axl pulling this off as well as he is! I'm certainly surprised. If he can sing like that for more that three shows without blowing his voice out I will be even more impressed.

Drumming seems a bit off. Miss Malcolm.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 10, 2016 21:56

Isn't shouting and sounding like a castrate in rock and roll a thing of the past?

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 10, 2016 22:22

Mathijs
I don't think AC/DC has sounded this good since Bon Scott died. Axel nailed it.

Mathijs

that's really the truth of the matter.i'm a huge fan of brian johnson,i saw his first tour with the band and many times since then.
but-he doesnt really have a distinct vocal style.if you listen to heavy metal brians voice is pretty much the typical metal screamer,which isn't to say it doesn't kick some serious ass.

but if you take a bon scott or axl rose[or jagger,plant, daltrey,ozzy etc] in one second you know who it is.and bon had a real similar style of singing to axls,alot of power and range.

i had to laugh seeing people say they hoped he didnt blow his voice out,this isn't even the angry axl.he can sing way harder than that without hurting his voice.
i understand fans with a real desire not to see their bands line-up being f-ckd with but i also gotta believe theres alot of posers in there also complaining,trying sound hardcore.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: May 10, 2016 22:34

Mathijs
I don't think AC/DC has sounded this good since Bon Scott died. Axel nailed it.

Mathijs

Really? Maybe Axl has a stronger voice than Brian, but Malcolm, Phil and Cliff made an IMMENSE rhythm section. They were the real machine of the band, keeping the no-nonsense groove going without losing a beat - tight and solid as f@@k - allowing Brian and Angus to entertain the crowd. I don´t think the current line up can compete with that rhythm section. No chance.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: May 10, 2016 23:49

Angus Young life = music. "What can I do except playing" ?
I think Mick and Keith would have kept on the Stones adventure without Charlie or Ronnie ten years ago... (at 60)...
In 2004, Charlie was diagnosed with throat cancer. Thanks to god, the cancer has since gone into remission, and he returned to recording and touring with the band. Otherwise, would the band have stopped its activity ? IMO, certainly NOT.

And even now, in this situation, what would Mick and Keith do ? The show would be sold out, perhaps with a different audience, but SOLD OUT...

Cheers.

The Worst.
powerage78
Just talkin' about music performance.
You are so much more forgiving with Stones concerts...
The Lisbon show was awesome, just read the reviews, like you do on IORR... spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

We never question any review, right ? cool smiley

If Stones lost 3 official members at this late point of their career, I would have zero interest in a new line up of replacements - no matter how good the new band would sound. In fact, it would be a terrible thing to do their legacy. Malcolm and Angus have been as important to ACDC as Mick and Keith to The Stones. If you take one of them out, the thrill is gone. But in this case they took the drummer and the singer in addition to Malcolm. I hate to admit it, but ACDC is gone, and IMO it is an insult to Malcolm and Brian, the fans, their name and legacy to continue.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 00:04 by powerage78.

Date: May 11, 2016 00:41

At the time of Charlie´s cancer treatment, it´s true that Mick and Keith wrote some songs and recorded a few demos, but they waited for Charlie to get ready before they recorded A Bigger Bang and went on tour. I refuse to believe that The Rolling Stones would tour without Charlie. Keith would definitely never accept it.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 11, 2016 02:23

The Worst.
At the time of Charlie´s cancer treatment, it´s true that Mick and Keith wrote some songs and recorded a few demos, but they waited for Charlie to get ready before they recorded A Bigger Bang and went on tour. I refuse to believe that The Rolling Stones would tour without Charlie. Keith would definitely never accept it.

Your right.....it would be the same as going to your wedding without your wife grinning smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 11, 2016 02:49

Axl appears to be lip syncing his ACDC performance. Watched several up close
videos of the Lisbon performance and there is vocals when the mike
was not close to his mouth. Watch very closely.

Another separate rehearsal video shows Axl backstage wheeling around
on his leg cart while at the same time, you can hear the band play with
his vocals apparent. There was no mike in hand.

Posted by: Walapino ()
Date: May 11, 2016 03:08

Midnight Toker

Its called audio delay you listen to the live audio but the video on the screens is delayed, he is certainly NOT lypsynching. Have a drink on me!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 11, 2016 03:29

Midnight Toker

You might be on to something Toker - hopefully someone gets to the bottom of this.
It's bad enough as it is for variety of reasons, but if what you say is true....damn!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: May 11, 2016 04:55

NICOS

...it would be the same as going to your wedding without your wife grinning smiley

Oh mama, I'm cryin'
Tears of relief
And my pulse is now under control

On the internet nobody knows
you're Mick Jagger

Date: May 11, 2016 10:14

The Worst.
I refuse to believe that The Rolling Stones would tour without Charlie. Keith would definitely never accept it.

You refuse to believe. Fan perception.
And if Charlie had said to Keith and Mike "keep on guys"...

Highway to Hell, Sevilla :
[www.youtube.com]
Awesome.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 10:17 by powerage78.

Date: May 11, 2016 11:26

No, it´s not a "fan perception", but more based on all the interviews I´ve read, watched and heard with Keith Richards in the last 20 years or so, where he repeatedly hails Charlie and describes him as a vital part of the band. In fact, Keith has in the last two decades said many times that much of the secret to The Stones is the interplay between Charlie and himself. Keith has ALWAYS defended, respected and admired Charlie. Mick was perhaps tempted to replace both Charlie and Bill in the 80s, but Keith´s deep loyalty would never allow it. Mick has said it himself: Keith´s greatest strength and weakness is his endless loyalty. It´s unthinkable that he would tour with a Rolling Stones line up without Charlie Watts. Especially at this point of their career. This perception is based on the Keith Richards I know from countless interviews, statements, books, documentaries etc. If they launch a tour this fall without Charlie, it will contradict all the views and values that Keith Richards has claimed to have had in the last 50 years.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: May 11, 2016 11:49

I was at the show last night it was superb and I thought Axl sounded great.

Nate thumbs up

Date: May 11, 2016 11:53

Allright, allright...smileys with beer
Still think the Stones will have continued in 2004... without Charlie. BUT, just my IMO.

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outdrinking smiley

The Worst.
No, it´s not a "fan perception", but more based on all the interviews I´ve read, watched and heard with Keith Richards in the last 20 years or so, where he repeatedly hails Charlie and describes him as a vital part of the band. In fact, Keith has in the last two decades said many times that much of the secret to The Stones is the interplay between Charlie and himself. Keith has ALWAYS defended, respected and admired Charlie. Mick was perhaps tempted to replace both Charlie and Bill in the 80s, but Keith´s deep loyalty would never allow it. Mick has said it himself: Keith´s greatest strength and weakness is his endless loyalty. It´s unthinkable that he would tour with a Rolling Stones line up without Charlie Watts. Especially at this point of their career. This perception is based on the Keith Richards I know from countless interviews, statements, books, documentaries etc. If they launch a tour this fall without Charlie, it will contradict all the views and values that Keith Richards has claimed to have had in the last 50 years.

Date: May 11, 2016 11:55

Didn't Keith (only once, though) say that they could have carried on without Charlie? I think it was round ABB - and in correlation with Charlie's throat cancer.

I remember it as a weird interview at the time, as it contradicted everything Keith had said prior to that.

I'm pretty sure they never would have toured without him, though. Recording a few songs without him, when he wasn't present, is a totally different matter.

Date: May 11, 2016 12:00

I say that because I can't imagine the RS stop all activity in 2004, just before the ABB Tour...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 12:03 by powerage78.

Date: May 11, 2016 12:11

powerage78
I say that because I can't imagine the RS stop all activity in 2004, just before the ABB Tour...

That's exactly what they did do before the Australian tour recently, remember.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 11, 2016 12:34

Nate
I was at the show last night it was superb and I thought Axl sounded great.

Nate thumbs up

So glad you enjoyed it Nathan.
I knew Axl and AC /DC would work out fine after seeing the youtube clips a few weeks ago of Rosie and Riff Raff.
Wish I could have got to Sevilla. smileys with beer

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: May 11, 2016 12:41

The Worst.
Malcolm and Angus have been as important to ACDC as Mick and Keith to The Stones. If you take one of them out, the thrill is gone. But in this case they took the drummer and the singer in addition to Malcolm. I hate to admit it, but ACDC is gone, and IMO it is an insult to Malcolm and Brian, the fans, their name and legacy to continue.

Many people are bashing AC/DC but once again, they probably have no other option because of insurance issues. Not ending the tour would mean losing money; not just missing the opportunity of making money, but paying back the promoter's costs.

If after that AC/DC stops after that or resumes with Brian, I'm OK with what is happening now.
If Angus goes on with a new line-up after this tour, he should make it as a solo artist or at least with a different name.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: May 11, 2016 12:43

Well said Doc.
i will be in Marseille, enjoying a true awesome rock'n roll concert !

Date: May 11, 2016 12:45

Well, they did play in 2015 and 2016 no ?
The will have keep on touring in 2004.

DandelionPowderman
powerage78

That's exactly what they did do before the Australian tour recently, remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 12:48 by powerage78.

Date: May 11, 2016 12:53

Doc, I do get the insurance aspect if that is the case. But I think it´s weird if their insurance does not cover health issues or injuries that might occur. It wouldn´t exactly be the first time that a band postponed or cancelled a tour for similar reasons. I do understand that the insurance can´t cover for Phil Rudd´s trouble with the law, but it´s rather amazing if a multi-million dollar business like ACDC isn´t protected when they lose vital members due to serious health problems. Angus has stated in some interviews that they made the decision to keep touring in order to "please the fans" and don´t make those who had already bought tickets "unhappy". Fair enough, but I don´t get how a serious ACDC fan can go to a gig these days and feel the same excitement and thrill as before. I for one, could never ever imagine ACDC without Malcolm Young.

Date: May 11, 2016 12:56

Well, see the audience...

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-11 12:58 by powerage78.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: May 11, 2016 13:24

The Worst.
Doc, I do get the insurance aspect if that is the case. But I think it´s weird if their insurance does not cover health issues or injuries that might occur.

But if you already have troubles with your hearing before the start of a tour it might be difficult to get an insurance in case of hearing problems during the tour.

Date: May 11, 2016 13:32

Yes, that might be right. I´m not an expert on legal matters regarding insurances.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 11, 2016 14:39

They've sped up the tempos quite a bit, right? Which makes me think the dragging pace of the 2015 "Johnson" shows was to please Brian...
So apparently over the years Angus did a lot to make Johnson feel at ease onstage : the band detuned to E flat (= less stress on the vocal chords) and they played slowly.

Now Angus's free to play AC/DC material the way he wants... Fast and hard!
And people naysay?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 11, 2016 14:46

powerage78
Well, see the audience...

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

When the news broke that Axl was replacing Brian I said: I don´t go.
Because it´s no more AC/DC. But to be honest: It wasn´t even AC/DC
since Malcolm and Phil were excluded.

But as a Rock´n´Roll and hardrock fan I must admit that Axl sounds @#$%&
great! So I decided to go to the Hamburg show - again. Got to get a new ticket. grinning smiley

But: It´s not AC/DC for me, let´s say: It´s a fantastic AC/DC cover band.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 11, 2016 14:51

Even in pro shot quality he sounds amazingly good. I hope
he doesn´t shoot his voice while the tour goes on:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: May 11, 2016 17:24

I am impressed. Wow.

Angus... awesome as usual. Axl... what a surprise. Holy crap!

It seems so wrong yet... it works!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5859606162636465666768...LastNext
Current Page: 63 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1965
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home