Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC latest news and more
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: March 15, 2016 01:12

RollingFreak
keefriff99
RollingFreak
Right, but the whole point is that this effectively ends Angus' career, and he might not want that. Because obviously he DOESN'T feel comfortable performing outside of "AC/DC". According to sources, Brian wanted to hang it up after Stiff Upper Lip but Angus really wanted to go on. Hence we have the last 10-12 years. If Angus doesn't want to play on his own, which history shows unfortunately he does not, then I wouldn't be shocked if they get someone to replace Brian and continue, just so he can keep going. Again, its not what I'd prefer, but at this point its up to whether Angus wants to retire or let Brian make that decision for him.
Wow, I've never heard that. Do you have a source?

The reason I'm so surprised by that tidbit is because Brian, in contrast to the Young brothers, actually HAS done a few projects outside of AC/DC over the past 20 years. He sang on a couple of Jackyl albums, produced two albums for the (now defunct) band Neurotica, recorded three songs for the pro-cannabis documentary Totally Baked, worked on a musical about Helen of Troy, performed at various charity concerts in Florida with Cliff (who both live down there), and of course wrote a book and did interviews for his other big passion in life, cars, most notably Top Gear.

On the other hand, the Young brothers literally fall off the face of the Earth between recording/touring cycles, going years without providing any news or updates on the band status. In fact, news about the band was so dead between 2000 and 2008 that I was convinced we'd seen the last of them.

NYC radio guy Eddie Trunk has said that 10 years ago Brian was ready to say "that's enough" but Angus wasn't done yet. Hence you have what the last 10 years have been. He also said that THEN this current tour and the dates through Europe were supposed to be their final shows. Eddie says he heard that from many good sources that this was the end, which makes sense cause Brian is nearly 70 singing this stuff. And that this setback might be the exact thing that allows Angus to keep going like he's always wanted to.

You are right though. The Young Brothers fall off the face of the earth whereas Brian I believe is in Florida and does occasionally do stuff. Hell, he performed with Billy Joel just a year ago or something. But yeah, apparently before Black Ice and after the SARS thing AC/DC did with the Stones that the band was nearly done but Angus pushed on. So we got Black Ice, which I don't think any of them thought as a farewell but was a major tour at least for younger people like myself that had never seen them since it had been 8 years since a large scale tour. Then the reason they were very quiet afterwards was because Malcolm was sick. It was widely rumored that someone in AC/DC was sick and I think people thought it might be Angus, Cliff or Phil. I don't think many thought it was Malcolm or as bad as it was. But that was the reason for that break, and then Angus pushed through to do this run, and Brian saw this as a good time to say "we'll go out one more time, but without Malcolm this should probably be the end, since you know I'm old too."
Thanks for the info.

Brian always seems so jovial and happy onstage that it surprises me he wanted to retire. Honestly, I always thought Angus would be the one who'd want to call it quits the most, given the insane physical toll his performing style must take on him.

To even "gently" headbang at his age seems unthinkable to me.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 15, 2016 06:26

keefriff99
Thanks for the info.

Brian always seems so jovial and happy onstage that it surprises me he wanted to retire. Honestly, I always thought Angus would be the one who'd want to call it quits the most, given the insane physical toll his performing style must take on him.

To even "gently" headbang at his age seems unthinkable to me.
Yeah, you wouldn't think it. You'd think Brian is the one just enjoying the ride and Angus is the one in all the pain. Apparently its the other way around. Not that its pain Brian's in, but admittedly the guy is older. And when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. Cause no one's ever gonna be able to MAKE Angus wear that schoolboy costume and do what he does. That's all him and his control. So obviously, it makes sense that touring is all done based off him, and clearly he lives for it.

Then when you factor in how @#$%& young he is. He JUST turned 60. This is the first tour he's done in his 60s. Thats crazy! He's a baby by comparison to our other icons. This guy was 25 when he was on top of the world with Back In Black! Its mind boggling. Then compare that to Brian, who is nearing 70, it makes perfect sense who wants to stop and who has the energy to keep going. I agree though that Brian hides it well. I don't believe he's ever actually said it and the guy seems to love being on stage (like you said, jovial is the perfect word). But he's done his due, and its been 35 years. If he's truly done, even if it wasn't from this unfortunate incident, I don't think anyone could blame him. Being 8 years older than Angus, it was bound to come to a head sooner or later.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 15, 2016 06:53

Then when you factor in how @#$%& young he is. He JUST turned 60.

...61, but who's counting?....

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 15, 2016 11:34

Really don't believe this is the end of Angus. Sure he'd take some time off but he would crave returning to the stage. It was he does, and doubt that can change. Will be interesting to see what he will do, continue AC/DC or go another direction.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 15, 2016 14:31

Has Brian Johnson Been ‘Kicked to the Curb’ by AC/DC?
By Jeff Giles March 15, 2016 7:41 AM

Brian Johnson‘s hearing loss may not be as bad as initial reports suggested — but AC/DC might be moving on without him anyway.
Word of Johnson’s reportedly tenuous future with the band comes courtesy of comedian Jim Breuer, a friend of the singer who discussed their latest visit during an episode of his The Metal in Me podcast, which you can stream below. According to Breuer, whose commentary was earlier reported by the Canton Repository, Johnson has essentially been “kicked to the curb” by group leader Angus Young after fronting AC/DC for 36 years.
Describing Johnson as “really depressed,” Breuer said he got the singer’s side of the story during a visit to his home in Florida. Although Breuer repeatedly stressed that he’s only heard Johnson’s version of events, he came away with a picture of an inner dynamic that sounds surprisingly dysfunctional for a band that’s managed to stay together this long.
As Breuer tells it, Johnson sought a second opinion after being warned that he faced total hearing loss if he continued to tour, and was told that the damage wasn’t actually as bad as he’d initially been led to believe. It was apparently too little, too late for Young, however — the next thing Johnson knew, “all his luggage that he ever toured with showed up in his driveway.” Adding insult to injury, Breuer said Johnson told him that “there’s been no calls” from anyone in the band — either to explain their decision or to simply check on his well-being — and said “I feel like I’ve been kicked to the curb.”
The band is reportedly seeking guest vocalists for the remainder of their current tour, but Breuer says Johnson suspects they’ve already lined up a replacement for what he described as a “karaoke guest stars” series of events. Also according to Johnson via Breuer, Young may want to carry on with some version of AC/DC for another decade — one more album, and one more tour.
Of particular interest to longtime fans is Breuer’s description of Johnson’s state of mind regarding his place in AC/DC. He described the singer as feeling like a “hired gun” even after all these years, and said that when he expressed incredulity toward the notion that none of the band members has even discussed the move with him, Johnson shrugged that communication in the group is “not what you think.” This is all yet to be confirmed, but the connection between Breuer and Johnson is well-documented, and the situation is definitely worth keeping an eye on. Check out the complete episode below.

Read More: Has Brian Johnson Been 'Kicked to the Curb' by AC/DC? | [ultimateclassicrock.com]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 15, 2016 15:59

A sad story gets even worse!

Date: March 15, 2016 16:04

I was JUST going to post this, BowieStone.

If this is true, it's SHOCKING, and goddamnit, I will lose all respect for Angus. How the hell could he treat Brian Johnson like this after 36 years and how many @#$%& millions of albums sold??

Very demoralizing.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 15, 2016 16:10

Whatever makes a scandalous title is good enough to print and distribute. It is disgusting. The article itself says that BJ got that medical advise to stop touring because of the possible hearing loss (and it claims then, that it might not be that bad). And it magically happens right at the time, when Angus wants to kick him off. All that just in between two gigs in the middle of the tour. Sure. Yes, Angus wants to kick him out, because it is impossible for him to play another 22 unbelievable profitable gigs and is looking forward to playing to empty stadiums. Sure... Again, disgusting. The saddest thing is that whatever any scum writes, the majority believes it instantly. It has been written, right?

Besides - such a multi-million dollar undertaking involves hundreds of people, including many lawyers and is surely based on many bullet-proof contracts. I seriously doubt that tour like this operates the way that if some member decides to unload someone else's luggage off the truck, that other person doesn't tour any more. NO insurance company would pay a single penny based on the fact that someone doesn't want to play with someone else any more. IF there was any tiny bit of truth in that article, Angus would have to carry the full financial responsibility. And even if I would believe he would do it, which I don't, the coincidence with Brian's health problems would really be beyond magical.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-15 16:22 by Happy24.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 15, 2016 16:23

More :

"According to Breuer, Johnson suspects that he has already been replaced in AC/DC. "There's been no answer [from the band]," Breuer said. "He feels like he heard from someone that they already hired somebody, it just hasn't been announced yet."

Breuer added that despite Johnson being in the band for 36 years, he still felt like a hired gun. Johnson also believes that Young, who is seven years his junior, wants to keep AC/DC going for another decade"

[www.blabbermouth.net]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-03-15 16:26 by dcba.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 15, 2016 17:53

As sad as Brian Johnson’s story is, Angus Young is synonymous with AC/DC and I suspect that the band, despite it only containing two original members, could still pack ‘em in without him. If AY was happy to continue without his own brother...

Date: March 15, 2016 18:36

Father Ted
As sad as Brian Johnson’s story is, Angus Young is synonymous with AC/DC and I suspect that the band, despite it only containing two original members, could still pack ‘em in without him. If AY was happy to continue without his own brother...
Actually one original member. Mark Evans played bass on the first few AC/DC albums, but Cliff has been in the band almost 40 years, so it's easy to consider him an original.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 15, 2016 19:32

And people make fun of the "Two" I mean "Who". But seriously I'm beginning to think this is about drumming up publicity. This latest bit about dropping off gear in the driveway is going a bit far. Something smells fishy.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: March 15, 2016 22:19

If this outcome transpires as portrayed by Jim Breuer, then it is utterly disgraceful treatment on human level after Beano's tenure in and contribution to the band. I do question the integrity of the "friendship" Jim has by sharing Beano's personal views in the media. I think Beano is big enough to fight his own battles.
Looks to me that Angus is really wanting to rule the roost now Malcolm is out of the frame. Quite weird given he is such an unassuming guy off stage.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: godfazzer ()
Date: March 15, 2016 22:41

Recent post from Jim Breuer facebook

"...You have to remember I'm a comedian & a storyteller. I definitely exaggerate and sometimes I get a little carried away!! And this was one of those times!"

[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 15, 2016 22:46

Yeahhhhhhh rightttttttttttttttt. Another spineless celebrity who under pressure from their PR people or Agent, try to backtrack and apologise for what they said in the media afterwards.

Too late kiddo.

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 15, 2016 22:57

Total BS from the very start, but a good chane for all media to generate clicks, right? Right now it is the main news on Yahoo, saying: "Breuer said that when he was in Sarasota, Florida, doing a standup comedy gig, Brian Johnson’s family was in attendance at the show. Johnson’s wife told Breuer that the frontman was..."
So now it is not Brian, but his wife, who told somebody to tell somebody else...eye rolling smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 16, 2016 01:25

Breuer is backtracking HARD:

[www.facebook.com]

[loudwire.com]- ... er_4511503

One minute video at the top of his Facebook page and updates to the Loudwire article of tweets. Jim looks stupid here if this isn't true. He keeps saying "he wasn't quoting" and a lot of it is just venting, but then where the @#$%& do you pull "my bags were back in my driveway" and he still "feels like a hired gun". Thats not venting. I can't tell if Breuer is just trying to backtrack on this is just a massive screw up on his part. I'm hoping everything we've learned about AC/DC these past 40 years points to the latter. The only reason I thought Breuer was credible is cause they ARE friends and it seems weird to say something like that and not think you'll get the press for it if its not true.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 16, 2016 02:53

This Bruer guy is a has-been low level 'comedian' whose only claim to fame is his recurring "Goat Boy" from SNL which was a somewhat funny skit...once.
As wiki puts it "He is most noted for his time as a cast member on Saturday Night Live", and that was back in '95-98.
Now his names all over the news, and whether whatever he said is true or not - the guy is a dork.

Date: March 16, 2016 03:57

Hairball
This Bruer guy is a has-been low level 'comedian' whose only claim to fame is his recurring "Goat Boy" from SNL which was a somewhat funny skit...once.
As wiki puts it "He is most noted for his time as a cast member on Saturday Night Live", and that was back in '95-98.
Now his names all over the news, and whether whatever he said is true or not - the guy is a dork.
I have found Breuer to be funny in the past, but he's basically fallen off the pop culture radar completely over the past 10-15 years. What an absolutely asinine thing for him to get involved with, true or not. Getting stuck in the gears of the PR machine of one of the biggest bands in the world must not be a fun time.

Date: March 16, 2016 13:02

Me thinks any media references to this will soon be qualified by "Jim Breuer, former friend of Brian Johnson."

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: March 16, 2016 13:18

They are not AC/DC without Brian.

Date: March 16, 2016 14:51

Hairball

umm he tours the big comedy clubs and was the costar of the movie HALF BAKED

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 16, 2016 15:28

I saw them last year , and i remember that me and my friends after the show were saying that Brian was bad. I met a huge ac-dc fan in milano few months ago (before a vintage trouble concert) and he told me that he followed the band for 10 concerts in europe and he was complaining A LOT about Brian. i start to think that there was already some problem with Angus last year. i think that Angus already know who the new singer will be, they have a lot of gigs to do and they will finish someway europe and north america. too much money involved. and after that, it will be finished

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: March 16, 2016 16:22

keefriffhard4life

No offense, but that movie was from 1998
smoking smiley

Date: March 16, 2016 17:26

keefriffhard4life
Hairball

Ummm....Half Baked?
Never heard of it, but just looked it up and that was way back from 1998 - the same year he left SNL!
Not sure of your point, but are you saying this makes him well known and/or relevant? Kind of like Rob Schneider (SNL '88-94)who came and went before him?
Wonder whatever happened to him....probably planning to expose the truth behind some big named band to get his name in the news...

Date: March 16, 2016 17:35

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball

Ummm....Half Baked?
Never heard of it, but just looked it up and that was way back from 1998 - the same year he left SNL!
Not sure of your point, but are you saying this makes him well known and/or relevant? Kind of like Rob Schneider (SNL '88-94)who came and went before him?
Wonder whatever happened to him....probably planning to expose the truth behind some big named band to get his name in the news...
Breuer is nothing but a B-list club comic who's got a modest amount of name recognition. His fame did indeed peak in the late '90s, and he's done nearly nothing of note since.

The Joe Pesci Show (his impression was admittedly excellent) and his Goat Boy character (much less excellent) for SNL, plus his role in Half Baked, were his high water marks...again, '96-'98 timeframe. He's not a household name in any way, shape or form.

Date: March 16, 2016 17:48

keefriff99
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball

Ummm....Half Baked?
Breuer is nothing but a B-list club comic who's got a modest amount of name recognition. His fame did indeed peak in the late '90s, and he's done nearly nothing of note since.

The Joe Pesci Show (his impression was admittedly excellent) and his Goat Boy character (much less excellent) for SNL, plus his role in Half Baked, were his high water marks...again, '96-'98 timeframe. He's not a household name in any way, shape or form.

Thanks for the Joe Pesci impression reminder - that was also funny at the time.

Date: March 16, 2016 20:24

keefriff99
Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball

Ummm....Half Baked?

funny i looked and breuer is playing the same size venues as gregg allman is solo. is gregg allman a b list guy? they are both playing the same venue here in richmond

Date: March 16, 2016 20:26

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball

Ummm....Half Baked?

never heard of half baked? you are either really old or really young if you've never heard of that movie as it repeats like 100 times a week on tv

as far as rob schneider. guess you've never heard of deuce bigalow, the benchwarmers and grownups all hit movies he starred in since the year 2000 plus he has a cameo in every adam sandler movie

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 16, 2016 23:26

Newsflash - I've just heard that Sebastian Bach is being considered.

personally, i like the idea of Bas, he's got the attitude and strut, his pipes are unquestioned. What do yall think?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4344454647484950515253...LastNext
Current Page: 48 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1795
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home