Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 117
Re: OT: AC/DC future in question
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 19, 2014 06:53

<<As for AC/DC, I was very surprised that they kept going without Malcolm. It's their good right to do so but it won't be the same for me. If they lose the drummer as well it leaves a very big gap.>>

As long as they have that AC/DC-ish-looking guy in the beret singing lead and that guitarist in the schoolboy outfit who's always bobbing his head about like a mental patient, then it will be AC/DC...ish.

Posted by: SwayMT73 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 09:47

they had a different drummer for most of the 80s they will continue if they want to which they seem to want to do.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 19, 2014 18:00

What are your top five Brian Johnson era AC/DC albums not including Back in Black?

1. Stiff Upper Lip

2. The Razors Edge

3. For Those About to Rock We Salute You

4. Black Ice

5. Fly On The Wall

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: November 19, 2014 18:08

For Those About to Rock
Flick of the Switch
Blow Up Your Video
Ballbreaker
Stiff Upper Lip

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 18:17

For those about to rock and...Stop!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 19, 2014 18:48

Back In Black was very successful
Brian Johnson wrote lyrics on that record
He has not had any writing credit since 1988.

Is something missing here?confused smiley

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 19, 2014 20:34

keefriffhard4life
imo this is the last album and tour for ac/dc
I would say it's almost a certainty. I think this tour will be their farewell to the fans, even if it's not billed as one.

I mean hell, they've been semi-retired for the last 24 years:

1990 - The Razor's Edge
1995 - Ballbreaker
2000 - Stiff Upper Lip
2008 - Black Ice
2014 - Rock Or Bust

And it's not like they tour extensively without studio albums to promote the way the Stones do either, so I think with Malcolm sidelined and Brian almost 70 years old, it's time to bow out gracefully.

Date: November 19, 2014 21:56

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 19, 2014 22:24

You know everyone hates Who Made Who, but I still think that SONG (not album) has a certain feel to it that is quite nice. The chorus is not the best, but the opening still pops into my head time to time. Just the way Brian snarls through the opening is just great...to me.

The video game says play me.
Face it, on a level, but it take you
every time on a one on one.
Feeling runnin' down your spine
Nothing gonna save your one last dime cause it owns you
Through and through

The data bank know my number.
Says I gotta pay 'cause I made the grade last year.
Feel it when I turn the screw
Kick you 'round the world.
There ain't a thing that it can't do,
Do to you - Yeah!

Ok...top 5:

Razors Edge
Stiff Upper Lip
Blow Up Your Video (always seemed a bit pop like...but some good tunes)
Black Ice
Who Made Who (does this count?)

Gotta say...the Stiff Upper Lip/Black Ice records did restore some faith that they could write better records than Ballbreaker. Razor's Edge intro (and for me, the tour) really made that record hot. I still remember Chris Slade (I was 13) slowly rising up out of the stage as the spotlights hit Angus high above...all you could see was Angus. Let me tell you, the Cow Palace that night was the loudest concert I can imagine. They had tank guns for that show, later in Oakland they had the civil war type cannons. Also, Cow Palace was general admission...man that was fun!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 20, 2014 00:58

BluzDude

Bib had great lyrics

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: November 20, 2014 01:48

treaclefingers
BluzDude

Bib had great lyrics

...That's my point, they should have let him continue to write....but maybe Brian was too busy racing cars.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: November 20, 2014 02:42

BluzDude

I think Brian wrote lyrics for Black Ice. Which is my favorite album of theirs since For Those About To Rock

Date: November 20, 2014 03:51

BluzDude
treaclefingers
BluzDude

Bib had great lyrics

...That's my point, they should have let him continue to write....but maybe Brian was too busy racing cars.

I think I knew that was your point...but let me check.

Yes, I knew. Apparently I was agreeing!

Date: November 20, 2014 08:25

top 5 brian era non Bib ALBUMS:
1 razors edge
2 flick of the switch
3 for those about to rock
4 ballbreaker
5 stiff upper lip

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 09:08

Brian hasn't written lyrics since Blow Up Your Video in 88. I recall reading that he was going through a divorce at that time so Angus and Malcolm handled all the lyrics and have done so since then, although I'm not sure why.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 10:32

[www.youtube.com]

Hard Times and Rock the House (Led Zep...) spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs up

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 19:09 by powerage78.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 20, 2014 19:42

AC/DC don’t have to fire Rudd - Johnson
News / Martin Kielty / 20 Nov 2014

Brian believes legal process will decide drummer Phil’s future for them

>RUDD

AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson believes drummer Phil Rudd’s future with the band will be decided in court.

And he’s emphasised that the band will hit the road next year with or without him.

Rudd, 60, is under house arrest at his New Zealand home after being accused of threatening to kill and possession of drugs. The charge of attempting to procure the murder of two men was dropped for lack of evidence – but he could still face up to seven years in jail.

The band have reported that he’d been behaving erratically in the run-up to his legal woes. Guitarist Angus Young has said it was difficult to keep him at work while they recorded upcoming album Rock Or Bust, and that he failed to appear for a London video shoot without warning.

Now Johnson tells Howard Stern on SiriusXM: “I don’t think we have to do anything – fire him or anything like that. I think the situation is going to take care of itself.

“He’s got himself into a pickle and there’s nothing we can do about it. We’re talking about criminal courts, judges and juries. But we are going to go on tour, and nothing’s going to stop us.”

Asked about his reaction to the news of Rudd’s arrest, Young says: “I fell out of bed, actually. My wife woke me up and said, ‘Hey, Phil’s been up to no good. Somebody said, ‘Who was he trying to hit – his dentist or his drug dealer?’”

AC/DC have had no contact with the drummer since the drama began. He was replaced by Welsh drummer Bob Richards of Buck & Evans for the video shoot. Rock Or Bust is released on December 1 – it's their first album without retired mainman Malcolm Young.

Date: November 20, 2014 19:53

powerage78
[www.youtube.com]

Hard Times and Rock the House (Led Zep...) spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs up

Damn! Bring on the album!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 20, 2014 19:57

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out>grinning smiley<thumbs upsmiling bouncing smiley

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Date: November 20, 2014 19:59

This seems heavier than Black Ice. Hard-edged. This is great!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 20, 2014 20:06

Wow, the drumming, guitar playing and singing all seem to be a cut above what they have done for quite some time. Really good rock and roll. peace

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 20, 2014 21:22

Both songs sound like 70's Aerosmith... eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-20 21:24 by dcba.

Date: November 20, 2014 21:34

JohnnyBGoode
powerage78
[www.youtube.com]

Damn! Bring on the album!

This may be the first new AC/DC album I buy since Who Made Who (which I know really wasn't a new album).

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: November 21, 2014 01:13

Can we all agree that EVERY DC show is exactly the same? That if you have seen them once, you've seen them a 100 times. I've caught em 5 times since '89, had a great time, but all the same show.

Aerosmith is a bit like this. I find these types of live gigs off-putting. Imagine how great a band like DC would be live if they played more like the Stones. Even if the Stones setlist isn't so different, every show has it's own feel & every tour is different. This is my big issue with DC, to me, a band should be a live thing and have to prove it every night. Some of the jazz greats looked at recording as a distraction, that live music is real music. The Stones get this...

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: November 21, 2014 01:34

sdstonesguy
an we all agree that EVERY DC show is exactly the same? That if you have seen them once, you've seen them a 100 times. I've caught em 5 times since '89, had a great time, but all the same show.

I'd have to disagree. I've seen them only twice, and the main difference was that the first show was very loud and the second show was even louder. So they were different.

But really, it was good to hear at least a couple of new songs off the new records. And I tend to forget exactly what the experience was like, so it's definitely not a bore after several years hiatus.

I agree about the Stones shows feeling completely different show to show and tour to tour. I have always chalked up my noticing those nuances to the fact that I follow the Stones more closely, both the story and the musical journey. I'm sure many of us here feel that way about the Stones (and not a surprise, IORR, duh).

Date: November 21, 2014 03:58

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: November 21, 2014 05:52

BallBreaker
For Those about to Rock
Fly On the wall
Black Ice
Rock or Bust(even though I have only heard 2 songs I know this will be good)

cant wait for the new album

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: November 21, 2014 07:38

Bring this back!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 21, 2014 08:04

Yes, every AC/DC show is the same on that given tour. I saw them twice on the Black Ice tour: once at Madison Square Garden and once at Giants Stadium. They were different shows, but only because of the environment. They maybe have one or two touches of different banter between songs, but thats always relatively the same, and the music is identical show to show.

And thats not bad at all. With another band, it would be. But somehow AC/DC pull it off. Maybe the songs/hits are just THAT good that you don't really ever get tired of hearing them? Maybe its the band's energy that just makes you not NOT like the show? Maybe its that they somehow, despite having done the same show for the last 20 years, make EVERY show seem like they are completely into it? I don't know. Its something about them, but it works. They are kind of the only band I can think of where I don't think its bad they play the same set every night.

And like I said, its tour to tour. I'll see them once a tour. They played some great deep cuts on the Stiff Upper Lip tour like What's Next To The Moon, and they always do throw a few bones. Its just the same bones throughout the entire tour so its only necessary to see once. Me personally, I'm still waiting for their tour of just their 70s material like Rocker, Rock And Roll Damnation, If You Want Blood You Got It. And even wanting that, I'm still satisfied beyond belief with their current shows.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 21, 2014 16:04

DGA35
Brian hasn't written lyrics since Blow Up Your Video in 88. I recall reading that he was going through a divorce at that time so Angus and Malcolm handled all the lyrics and have done so since then, although I'm not sure why.
The excuse was that Brian was going through a divorce during the writing for The Razor's Edge, and that the royalties he would have been paid for writing credits would have gone towards alimony.

Doesn't really make sense though, does it? He'd have to pay alimony either way, so making MORE money from writing royalties would only be a benefit to Brian.

My guess is that Angus and Malcolm, being something of control freaks, just got used to writing lyrics and decided to keep all the writing to themselves.

And I think the lyrics have suffered horribly as a result. Brian was no Bon Scott, but the Young brothers make Brian look like Dylan.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-21 20:11 by keefriff99.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1991
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home