Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 117
OT: AC/DC stuff
Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 15, 2014 00:51

Breaking news in Australia that ACDC will never perform or record again.

Peter Ford, show biz reporter has details on 3AW in next 15 mins

[www.3aw.com.au]

He tweeted :

More exclusive info on the end of AC/DC after 8 on
@3AW693

EXCLUSIVE- "The end of ACDC... my information is we may never hear them perform or record EVER again" @mrpford

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2020-01-27 09:32 by bv.

Re: O/T ACDC
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:05

Happened this not already in February 2012: [www.nme.com] , [www.guitarworld.com] confused smiley

Date: April 15, 2014 01:15

Story just ran.
Softly, softly.
Malcolm has returned to Australia to live for 'personal reasons'

Reading between the lines it doesn't sound good.

Bittersweet day with Aussie Stones dates coming.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:19

dammit angry smiley

Date: April 15, 2014 01:37

Deathgod
Story just ran.
Softly, softly.
Malcolm has returned to Australia to live for 'personal reasons'

Reading between the lines it doesn't sound good.

Bittersweet day with Aussie Stones dates coming.

Why is it bad that he returned to Australia?

Date: April 15, 2014 01:44

ACDC are extremely respected in Australia, as they are around the world.
The story was 'respectful'
But phrases used were :

retirement announcement expected
will never record or perform again
Malcolm was named
band members will never be replaced
return home to family for personal reasons

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:45

Damn...doesn't seem to be confirmed yet though.

[www.news.com.au]

WORLD famous Australian band AC/DC are reportedly set to announce their retirement.

The rock band, formed in November 1973 by brothers Malcolm and Angus Young, are one of the highest-grossing bands of all time.

Entertainment reporter Peter Ford said on 3AW radio this morning that his information was that “we may never hear them perform or record ever again”.

Date: April 15, 2014 01:48

...and the 40th Anniversary album/tour was the news just a couple of months ago:

[www.nme.com]

AC/DC have revealed plans to enter the studio later this year in order to record their first new album since 2008's Brendan O'Brien produced 'Black Ice'.

The band will also be heading out on a 40th anniversary tour, which, says frontman Brian Johnson, will comprise 40 special gigs. Speaking to Florida radio station Gater 98.7 - via Rolling Stone - Johnson said the band would be heading to a Vancouver studio in May to record their 16th studio album. Of a proposed anniversary tour, he added:

"Its been 40 years of the band's existence. So I think we're gonna try to do 40 gigs, 40 shows, to thank the fans for their undying loyalty. I mean, honestly, our fans are just the best in the world, and we appreciate every one of them. So, like I said, we'll have to go out, even though we're getting a bit long in the tooth. You know what? It's been four years, and I'm really looking forward to it."

Bruce Springsteen recently opened his set at the Perth Arena in Australia with a cover of AC/DC's 1979 hit 'Highway To Hell'. The veteran US performer appeared on February 6 and his cover of the Australian rock band's classic track saw four guitarists on stage: Springsteen, Nils Lofgren, Steven Van Zandt and Rage Against The Machine man Tom Morello. The late AC/DC singer Bon Scott grew up near Perth. 'Highway To Hell' was the final album he recorded with the band before his death in 1980.

Read more at [www.nme.com]

Date: April 15, 2014 01:48

Date: April 15, 2014 01:50

I know this is about AC/DC, but it also makes you realize at one point or another there is going to be this breaking news about the Stones.

Date: April 15, 2014 01:50

treaclefingers
I know this is about AC/DC, but it also makes you realize at one point or another there is going to be this breaking news about the Stones.

And what a sad day that will be.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 15, 2014 01:51

Marketing geniuses...can't wait for the next album and tourthumbs upthumbs up!!!

Date: April 15, 2014 01:59

shadooby
Marketing geniuses...can't wait for the next album and tourthumbs upthumbs up!!!

It would definitely get headlines, but why, it's not as though they wouldn't sell out? Very odd, but I hope it's isn't true as well.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 15, 2014 02:06

I'm not a big AC/DC fan, but as far as I know, they've never needed to do this kind of marketing. And it has been reported that Malcolm has some health issues, so their retirement it's kind of expected, somehow.

Date: April 15, 2014 02:12

I don't know if this is the definitive AC/DC forum, but they don't seem to know much either...

[www.acdcfans.net]

BTW, there are more posts on this subject on IORR than on the AC/DC site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 02:12 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 15, 2014 02:21

treaclefingers
shadooby

It would definitely get headlines, but why, it's not as though they wouldn't sell out? Very odd, but I hope it's isn't true as well.

If one of the boys is really sick, godspeed.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: April 15, 2014 02:45

spsimmons
dammit angry smiley
Everyone is getting older.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 15, 2014 03:26

I remember back in 88 Malcolm wasn't well so nephew Stevie Young filled in for him on the Blow Up Your Video tour. Saw the show at BC Place in Vancouver and I didn't know it at the time.
Hopefully they can do one last album/farewell tour. Brian joined Billy Joel on stage at Madison Square Gardens a couple weeks ago to sing You Shook Me.

Date: April 15, 2014 04:23

RETIREMENT rumours have again surrounded Australia’s most successful rock band AC/DC.

Rumours surfaced this morning that the band’s 40th anniversary tour may be axed due to the health of one member.

The band’s publicist has been contacted for comment.

Showbiz commentator Peter Ford tweeted “there was some sad detail” behind the rumoured decision.

Ford wouldn’t elaborate further, saying “the band/management may choose to reveal this”.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 15, 2014 06:26

Deathgod
treaclefingers

And what a sad day that will be.

We almost went down that road a decade ago when Charlie was diagnosed with cancer. Both bands have had a great run, and their music will always be with us. Nothing lasts forever. It could be a sad day, or - preferably - a day for gratitude.

Sydney Morning Herald has some more detailed speculation about AC/DC - albeit attributed to some anonymous guy calling into a radio station. Unbelievable.

Paul Cashmere has some analysis: [www.noise11.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-15 06:35 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 15, 2014 11:38

They need to make one more album... to erase the dreadful "Black ice" disc from our memories! grinning smiley

Re: OT: AC/DC future in question
Date: April 15, 2014 15:26

[theorstrahyun.blogspot.com.au]

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

RIP AC/DC: 1973 - 2014

Brothers Malcolm Young, George Young and Angus Young, 2012 (photo from Facebook)
By Darryl Mason

AC/DC are ending their 41 year career on a terribly sad note.

Plans were underway for a new studio album, their first since 2008's monumental Black Ice, and a '40th Anniversary' world tour, 40 huge shows across the globe.

About 3 weeks ago, founding member, rhythm guitarist, co-producer and co-songwriter Malcolm Young had a stroke, which left a blood clot on his brain.

When AC/DC reunited at the start of April to begin a month of rehearsals, in the lead-up to new album recording sessions, Malcolm discovered he couldn't play. At least, he couldn't play like he used to play.

Nothing has been officially confirmed, as of this writing, but friends and family members have been discussing what happened to Malcolm for the past couple of weeks. The blood clot, resulting from the stroke, is believed to be why Malcolm couldn't keep working.

Although friends have described Malcolm's condition as serious, it doesn't mean he won't recover. People do get better after strokes, and people do recover lost skills.

But friends and family of band members believe the decision was made last week to call it quits.

Media in Australia have gone ballistic today on rumours of The End Of AC/DC, and it appears the news got out ahead of a planned official announcement from the band and management.

Right now, that announcement is expected Tuesday, April 16, and a press conference has been scheduled.

AC/DC won't continue playing and recording without Malcolm. It can't be done.

While Angus Young is the more famous, and more recognisable, AC/DC is most definitely Malcolm Young's band, he started AC/DC, under the guidance of big brother George Young (ex-Easybeats, and co-producer) and encouraged his younger brother Angus to join him, and take on the world.

Malcolm Young has been the quiet motivator and boss of the band for four decades, co-writing nearly all of AC/DC's classics, and making sure nothing happened to harm or damage the band's reputation, or disappoint the fans who've stuck by them for decades.

His passion for the band and its music, and integrity, were so intense, back in the 1970s he used to have fistfights with his younger brother, Angus, in the studio, when disagreements about a sound or riff couldn't be resolved. Proper punch-ups, teeth were lost, blood was drawn.

So that's it. AC/DC are coming to an end.

But what a career. AC/DC set out to conquer the world, and they did it, multiple times. Even the death of singer Bon Scott barely slowed them down, and only slightly delayed recording sessions for Back In Black.

Back In Black is still one of the biggest-selling albums in rock history, and AC/DC have easily sold more than 180 million albums, and probably half as many singles and DVDs and videos and special edition packages. They've influenced pretty much every hard rock, heavy rock and heavy metal band that has followed in their wake, including Nirvana, Metallica, you name them, they probably grew up loving AC/DC. And AC/DC are still in the record books for one of the biggest live audiences in rock history, playing to more than 1.6 million people in Moscow, in 1991. They were invited to play by the youth of Russia, who grew up on AC/DC bootlegs, after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

The band have been written off by critics, numerous times, but they stuck to their guns and beliefs and never compromised their sound. They were rarely, almost never, tempted by the musical fades that came and went over the decades. They dabbled in glam rock at the start of their career, but that barely lasted through the recording sessions of their debut album. Their fans wanted rock n roll, heavy rock, they could rely on, and that's what AC/DC delivered, across more than 14 albums, and numerous live-in-concert releases.

Malcolm Young never gave up on his belief that 1950s and 1960s rock n roll was rarely bettered, and he used the riffs and rhythms of black blues players as the basis for AC/DC's sound. He's also cited The Rolling Stones' Keith Richards as a key influence, and talks about that influence in the below interview.

The secret to Malcolm's playing, as Guitar Magazine explained, was open chords with the amps turned down, not up, and mics shoved right up close to capture all the details. He didn't churn out huge rock riffs through blasting amplifiers, his playing, and magic, is much more subtle than that, despite the rawness of the early studio albums.

I still reckon AC/DC's 2008 album Black Ice was amongst the best they made, right up their with Back In Back and Highway To Hell (their last album with Bon Scott), it's absolutely killer, and filled with excellent playing, classic AC/DC songs about rock n roll and some of Brian Johnson's better vocal performances. It's also pretty much a live-in-the-studio album, with minimal overdubs, just like they did it back in the Alberts Studio days in the mid-1970s.

Malcolm's work on Black Ice, in particular, is superb, not just the detail of his playing, but also his songwriting with brother Angus. They worked on the writing of the Black Ice songs for five years, and gave themselves the time to get it right. They nailed every single one, and Black Ice became the 2nd highest selling album of 2008.

Rock N Roll Dream, from Black Ice, is everything AC/DC was about. They wanted the rock n' roll dream, they got it, then they lived it.

"And it could be the very last time..."

Malcolm Young and his family have now returned to Australia. Everyone is hoping he makes a recovery, but close friends are saying the situation is not looking good, right now. Things may change. We can hope they change, and Malcolm recovers.

Instead of linking to an AC/DC classic, most of which you've probably heard a thousand times already, here's a rare treat instead - Malcolm Young's rhythm guitar from Let There Be Rock, way back in 1976.

Updates to follow

From The Orstrahyun archive:

When AC/DC Were Glam

AC/DC: The Product

AC/DC: Kings Of Father's Day

2008: AC/DC - The Musical?
Darryl Mason at 1:30 PM

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:40

Thats a shame.

Posted by: capsula ()
Date: April 15, 2014 15:55

All the best for Malcom

Date: April 15, 2014 15:58

Very sad...I feel fortunate I was able to see them in 2008.

Hopefully he fully recovers. Seems pretty drastic to end the band though, which may be a sign for how bad it is.

Date: April 15, 2014 16:06

Very sad...

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 15, 2014 16:10

Sad, although the condition may improve over time.

Do we realize how lucky the stones (and we) have been?

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: April 15, 2014 16:58

This is very sad news, good luck to Malcom and his family! I was hoping to see them live with my kids next year in Europe ... but it looks like they will miss the best und well known hard rock band of all time ...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 15, 2014 17:00

dcba
They need to make one more album... to erase the dreadful "Black ice" disc from our memories! grinning smiley

Oh come on, that was a damn fine LP!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 15, 2014 17:02

So is it absolutely official now?

Goto Page: 1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 1 of 117

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1772
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home