Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Taylor's best solo since rejoining?
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 30, 2014 17:43

winter
For now, I think I'm going to have to go with 5/20(?) CYHMK because you can feel this amazing roar circle the arena during its height; perhaps the last time a musical highlight, as opposed to a show/jagger/staging highlight, just makes everybody in the audience shout out without knowing why. The guitar notes made everyone high.

Although on a purely technical level I prefer the Glastonbury version, I am partial to this argument. Practically alone amongst everything the Stones have done since '74, the LA Knocking video just gives me chills when I watch it. I think it's as much to do with the atmosphere as Taylor's solo itself - there he is, playing CYHMK live with the Stones at long, long last. He starts his solo, he's nervous, he makes some mistakes, but then gets it under control and builds it to this roaring crescendo - and all the while, Keith and Ronnie are digging it, while Jagger tries everything to make him stop playing.

It's an amazing moment in which the Stones are, for the first time in four decades, completely out of control on stage, freewheeling and actually playing music the way it's meant to be played. And, as Winter says, the audience know it.

Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: March 30, 2014 17:55

stonehearted
Who said he has "rejoined"? He has been billed on this 50th etc. tour as a "special guest", which won't be permanent.

ya i thought about the heading for a split second when posting but hey, went with the spiritual meaning, you know?

I hope this turns into a long thread, man, because Taylor-era Stones is the bomb. I was a young teen then and not only was it great FM radio party-music in the here & now, and, not only has stood the test of time... but those "lesser" albums GHS,IORR have been re-evaluated as not being the stinkers generally thought at the time.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 30, 2014 18:13

Well I'm going with Toronto June 6/13 because I was there!
It doesn't quite come through on the clip but as Winter and Stoneburst mentioned about the LA version the buzz in the crowd was electric. Huge cheers were going up at the end of certain phrases. That old 70's concert staple, the oversized beach ball, made a appearance and bounced all the way around the arena in the solo.

MT tries to get a little too cute at 6:20 but soon recovers and leads into an amazing finish. The guitar sound hits overdrive at 7:40. (The crowd went batshit at this point) and from here to finish is pure magic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 18:27 by andrewt.

Date: March 30, 2014 18:29

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
Stoneburst
kleermaker
Not to annoy you Stoneburst, but I have this video too, with somewhat better sound quality. I hope you'll enjoy it:

I have a question - I know you have the audio of Taylor's Shine A Light solo from Jimmy Fallon, but do you have the video footage as well?

Yes I do, but if I recall well it was blocked by YT because of the well known reason. A nice video where you can see him play this grand solo.

That was CYHMN isn't it? I actually liked that band and Mick's performance better than all he did with the recent Stones.

I have both on video, the SAL-solo ánd that Knocking rendition in a very fast tempo. smiling smiley

During Taylor's solo Ronnie is positioned next to him, and he looks overjoyed about this. Ronnie alone seems to be playing for all the right reasons nowadays. Jagger is all business, Keith is too hung up on his own history.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 30, 2014 19:22

LuxuryStones
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
Stoneburst
kleermaker

I have a question - I know you have the audio of Taylor's Shine A Light solo from Jimmy Fallon, but do you have the video footage as well?

Yes I do, but if I recall well it was blocked by YT because of the well known reason. A nice video where you can see him play this grand solo.

That was CYHMN isn't it? I actually liked that band and Mick's performance better than all he did with the recent Stones.

I have both on video, the SAL-solo ánd that Knocking rendition in a very fast tempo. smiling smiley

Yes I know that Kleer, thanks again.smileys with beer

Here's the Fallon Knocking from May 2012:

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 30, 2014 19:35

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
Stoneburst
kleermaker

Yes I know that Kleer, thanks again.smileys with beer

Here's the Fallon Knocking from May 2012:

Many thanks, I quite enjoyed that.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 30, 2014 20:13

LA CYHMK.. That was the day Taylor proved he can still be a force.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: March 30, 2014 20:20

I think the fills Taylor adds to the Newark Rambler (2012 DEC 15) are the best I've heard since his rejoining.

Starting at the 1:35 mark or there-abouts . .

Newark Rambler

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 20:22 by Fuman2.

Date: March 30, 2014 20:34

This, from the Newark show prior to the OMS pay-per-view, is a great Rambler too - around 3.50, Taylor starts his second solo and you can see how into the music he is:

Shortly after this, of course, they stopped giving him a second solo and presumably told him to stop playing lead during the verses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 20:35 by Stoneburst.

Date: March 30, 2014 20:55

Stoneburst
This, from the Newark show prior to the OMS pay-per-view, is a great Rambler too - around 3.50, Taylor starts his second solo and you can see how into the music he is:

Shortly after this, of course, they stopped giving him a second solo and presumably told him to stop playing lead during the verses.

Yes indeed, and it was all the more surprising when Jagger gave him a second solo in Shanghai, and one of the most impressive Taylor moments followed (from about 4:20)

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 30, 2014 22:51

If the Stones are treating MT as poorly as some you seem to "know" like you are in the dressing rooms then why in god's name would he go??? He must be having fun in the limited role he has or maybe he needs the $$$ but I don't think we can really say how he is being treated.

Date: March 30, 2014 23:02

It's not only the solos but also some nice fills that show Mick Taylor's extra:

Date: March 30, 2014 23:46

kleermaker
Stoneburst

Yes indeed, and it was all the more surprising when Jagger gave him a second solo in Shanghai, and one of the most impressive Taylor moments followed (from about 4:20)

Hot damn. That is choice! The freakin' sustain! Everything just goes to the next level at those all too brief moments. Stoneburst's clip is great too. That style of jamming along seems to be lost art.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 23:49 by andrewt.

Date: March 31, 2014 03:41

andrewt
Hot damn. That is choice! The freakin' sustain! Everything just goes to the next level at those all too brief moments. Stoneburst's clip is great too. That style of jamming along seems to be lost art.

It's true of the whole band, too, not just MT. Some musicians bring the best out of those around them by their very presence. Coltrane did it with Miles, Duane Allman did it on the Layla sessions, and Mick Taylor does it with the Stones. It's not always about what he's actually playing. (This point, I think, is often overlooked in the debate about how much credit Taylor deserves for the late 60s/early 70s 'golden era'.)

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: April 4, 2014 16:09

I'm a HUGE Taylor fan but lets face it, the glory days of Taylor's fluid virtuoso playing are over and I don't think he has been very good recently with the Stones. Compared to some other musicians his age who are still playing, Mick T hasn't kept up. Not sure if it is his health or maybe his addictions but clearly Mick T isn't anywhere near as good as he once was.

M A P

Date: April 4, 2014 16:33

Nobody in the Stones is at the height of their musical peak. The same goes for Taylor.

However, they still make great music together, and Taylor is a breath of fresh air in the Stones. How fresh it would have been having Taylor on for the entire set remains to be seen, but the Kansas City 81 show (where Taylor played on most songs) tells something about that, imo...

To the favourite Taylor-solo. I haven't heard the first CYHMK-solo surpassed on this tour so far.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 16:43 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 4, 2014 16:39

I find something special in each one.

CYHMK from Philly 2 and MR from Newark 1, stand out for me.

Date: April 4, 2014 17:32

cn854
I'm a HUGE Taylor fan but lets face it, the glory days of Taylor's fluid virtuoso playing are over and I don't think he has been very good recently with the Stones. Compared to some other musicians his age who are still playing, Mick T hasn't kept up. Not sure if it is his health or maybe his addictions but clearly Mick T isn't anywhere near as good as he once was.

M A P

Well, that's your opinion. But how is it possible that he was able to play this excellent and fluid solo, in May 2012?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: April 4, 2014 17:39

Stoneburst
winter
For now, I think I'm going to have to go with 5/20(?) CYHMK because you can feel this amazing roar circle the arena during its height; perhaps the last time a musical highlight, as opposed to a show/jagger/staging highlight, just makes everybody in the audience shout out without knowing why. The guitar notes made everyone high.

Although on a purely technical level I prefer the Glastonbury version, I am partial to this argument. Practically alone amongst everything the Stones have done since '74, the LA Knocking video just gives me chills when I watch it. I think it's as much to do with the atmosphere as Taylor's solo itself - there he is, playing CYHMK live with the Stones at long, long last. He starts his solo, he's nervous, he makes some mistakes, but then gets it under control and builds it to this roaring crescendo - and all the while, Keith and Ronnie are digging it, while Jagger tries everything to make him stop playing.

It's an amazing moment in which the Stones are, for the first time in four decades, completely out of control on stage, freewheeling and actually playing music the way it's meant to be played. And, as Winter says, the audience know it.

Totally false and Jagger bashing bs.
a) I was there and b) you can see in the video very clearly that MJ is supporting MT very much during Taylor's part in the spotlight and trying to make the audience support him as well. Clapping his hands, smiling and cheering especially when MT is really getting into it.
MJ is as into his playing as Taylor himself is!

And KR "digging it"? He more or less fukced up the intro and in the entire song he had a three seconds faraway smile on his face like senior citizens have when they shit their pants; " confused smiley hey I think this sounds familiar confused smiley "
After the song it's MJ giving MT a hand shake with a quick hug and three slaps on the back; job well done. KR doesn't even come close enough to touch MT.

I remember you: the 'free speech' guy with his gossip in the RIP thread...
So now you're hired by Jane Rose to attack MJ or something?
Hey Taylorites and other iorrians, see the video for yourself. And yes this was very exciting to hear and see for the first time after so many years...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 17:45 by Dreamer.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 4, 2014 18:31

midnight rambler las vegas ,mgm grand 2013

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 4, 2014 18:33

also CYHMK AT GLASTO

Date: April 4, 2014 19:02

Mick is not trying to stop Taylor. He is clearly focused on himself, and how to cheer up the audience. He is also probably thinking worst case scenarios for the ending of this song and how he can contribute to avoid such endings by communicating with the others - as the true professional he is.

All the players' grins look alike every show - probably staged and rehearsed, to get the audience to appreciate Taylor even more. Remember, many don't know who he is...

Date: April 4, 2014 19:55

DandelionPowderman

All the players' grins look alike every show - probably staged and rehearsed, to get the audience to appreciate Taylor even more. Remember, many don't know who he is...

I consider this as a joke, because it's fantasy nonsense of the first degree.

Date: April 4, 2014 20:00

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I consider this as a joke, because it's fantasy nonsense of the first degree.

Look at when they smile.

Unfortunately, it's true that many don't know who he is. There are a lot of "tourists" at the shows. Check for yourself in Pinkpop.

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: April 4, 2014 20:07

That YouTube clip of Taylor in June 2012 is fabulous, certainly no questions or disagreement here. But can you honestly say that even ONE of the recent Stones shows that Mick T has played at, even sound REMOTELY close to that YT gem from a year or so before?

Date: April 4, 2014 20:48

cn854
That YouTube clip of Taylor in June 2012 is fabulous, certainly no questions or disagreement here. But can you honestly say that even ONE of the recent Stones shows that Mick T has played at, even sound REMOTELY close to that YT gem from a year or so before?

Remotely yes. Anyway, he still has his potential, that's been proven. But I'll analyse it later.

Date: April 4, 2014 21:22

kleermaker
cn854

Remotely yes. Anyway, he still has his potential, that's been proven. But I'll analyse it later.

Sure he can. That Shanghai clip is the bomb. Check him out starting at around 2:40.
Also, as far a Jagger goes, at the end of the Shanghai clip, Jagger knows MT nailed it and gets hims to take a bow and soak up the adulation. It's a great moment and tells you all you need to know about how appreciative MJ is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 21:24 by andrewt.

Date: April 4, 2014 21:41

May 2012: SAL-solo with footage (hope it will not be blocked):

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-04 22:03 by kleermaker.

Date: April 29, 2014 19:54

Dreamer
Totally false and Jagger bashing bs.
a) I was there and b) you can see in the video very clearly that MJ is supporting MT very much during Taylor's part in the spotlight and trying to make the audience support him as well. Clapping his hands, smiling and cheering especially when MT is really getting into it.
MJ is as into his playing as Taylor himself is!

And KR "digging it"? He more or less fukced up the intro and in the entire song he had a three seconds faraway smile on his face like senior citizens have when they shit their pants; " confused smiley hey I think this sounds familiar confused smiley "
After the song it's MJ giving MT a hand shake with a quick hug and three slaps on the back; job well done. KR doesn't even come close enough to touch MT.

I remember you: the 'free speech' guy with his gossip in the RIP thread...
So now you're hired by Jane Rose to attack MJ or something?

Hey Taylorites and other iorrians, see the video for yourself. And yes this was very exciting to hear and see for the first time after so many years...

I'm not one for bumping old threads, but I've only just seen this: what the hell are you talking about? You clearly don't remember me. My only contributions to that thread were suggesting that people stop gossiping over something they knew nothing about, and I never said anything about free speech. Who is Jane Rose?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home