Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Taylor's best solo since rejoining?
Posted by: berlinjive ()
Date: March 29, 2014 22:17

With all this talk about how great Mick Taylor's playing is... would people please post links to what they think is his best with the Stones, since he rejoined?

thanks!!

Re: Taylor's best solo since rejoining?
Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 29, 2014 23:00

It's long gone from YouTube but if you can find it elsewhere, the Glastonbury CYHMK is a good contender. I generally find it hard to get into his Rambler solos because as great a blues player as he is, it's just not that much of a showcase for what he can really do (which is, of course, one of the reasons they've had him playing on it).

All his Sway solos have been pretty decent but this - the first one, in Los Angeles - is particularly excellent, IMO. Taylor still has the best bending vibrato in the business, bar none.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-29 23:33 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 29, 2014 23:14

This one, Sway from Chicago, recalls me the Taylor from the Taylor-era

(ps: Stoneburst, if you delete the s from https you'll see the video)

Date: March 29, 2014 23:51

Stoneburst
It's long gone from YouTube but if you can find it elsewhere, the Glastonbury CYHMK is a good contender. I generally find it hard to get into his Rambler solos because as great a blues player as he is, it's just not that much of a showcase for what he can really do (which is, of course, one of the reasons they've had him playing on it).

All his Sway solos have been pretty decent but this - the first one, in Los Angeles - is particularly excellent, IMO. Taylor still has the best bending vibrato in the business, bar none.

The LA CYHMK-solo was perhaps even more impressive than the Glastonbury one (which has a superior sound quality of course):

Date: March 29, 2014 23:53

kleermaker

Done, thanks Kleerie.

That Chicago Sway's a brilliant one too, actually. 3.09-3.19 is as close to the sound of the Stones in '73 as we can now hope to get. It reminds me of the Wembley version of You Can't Always Get What You Want from that tour - Taylor rediscovers that same amazing fluency for a few seconds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-29 23:54 by Stoneburst.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 29, 2014 23:57

Ditto on the above but I remain somewhat partial to his crazy playing on the opening night of the 50th Tour at 02/1...it was just unreal to have him standing there 10 feet away! Keith was digging it too :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: March 30, 2014 00:01

Stoneburst
kleermaker

Done, thanks Kleerie.

That Chicago Sway's a brilliant one too, actually. 3.09-3.19 is as close to the sound of the Stones in '73 as we can now hope to get. It reminds me of the Wembley version of You Can't Always Get What You Want from that tour - Taylor rediscovers that same amazing fluency for a few seconds.

That solo on YCAGWYW in London in 1973 is one of his best live solos with The Stones imo (pretty nice sound quality for an audience recording btw):

Date: March 30, 2014 00:07

gotdablouse
Ditto on the above but I remain somewhat partial to his crazy playing on the opening night of the 50th Tour at 02/1...it was just unreal to have him standing there 10 feet away! Keith was digging it too :

[/img]

Yes indeed Blouse, an historical Stones moment and a new Taylor act at the same time. Still sounds good:

Date: March 30, 2014 00:09

kleermaker
That solo on YCAGWYW in London in 1973 is one of his best live solos with The Stones imo (pretty nice sound quality for an audience recording btw)

I'd go one further and say it is his best - and probably the best guitar solo I've ever heard from anyone. It's a pinnacle of technique, emotion, spontaneity and lyricism. I have it on my iPod (thanks to your YouTube upload, of course!). I don't listen to it too much because, as with all the music I really love - Sticky Fingers, Blonde on Blonde, Albert King's golden years - I don't want to get tired of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-30 00:10 by Stoneburst.

Date: March 30, 2014 01:07

Stoneburst

Not to annoy you Stoneburst, but I have this video too, with somewhat better sound quality. I hope you'll enjoy it:

Date: March 30, 2014 01:32

kleermaker
Not to annoy you Stoneburst, but I have this video too, with somewhat better sound quality. I hope you'll enjoy it:

I have a question - I know you have the audio of Taylor's Shine A Light solo from Jimmy Fallon, but do you have the video footage as well?

Date: March 30, 2014 01:58

Stoneburst
kleermaker

I have a question - I know you have the audio of Taylor's Shine A Light solo from Jimmy Fallon, but do you have the video footage as well?

Yes I do, but if I recall well it was blocked by YT because of the well known reason. A nice video where you can see him play this grand solo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-31 00:14 by kleermaker.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 30, 2014 03:14

kleermaker
Stoneburst
kleermaker

Yes I do, but if I recall well it was blocked by YT because of the well known reason. A nice video where you can see him play this grand solo.

That was CYHMN isn't it? I actually liked that band and Mick's performance better than all he did with the recent Stones.

Date: March 30, 2014 03:19

LuxuryStones
kleermaker
Stoneburst

That was CYHMN isn't it? I actually liked that band and Mick's performance better than all he did with the recent Stones.

I have both on video, the SAL-solo ánd that Knocking rendition in a very fast tempo. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-31 00:16 by kleermaker.

Date: March 30, 2014 03:49

kleermaker
I have both on video, the SAL-solo ánd that Knocking rendition in a very fast tempo. smiling smiley

Ha, I thought you would! Good to know the footage is out there - hopefully we'll be able to see it again sometime. I remember watching that Shine A Light clip and being amazed - he probably hadn't played that song since 1972, yet he sits in with a studio band and his solo's better than the one he played on the studio cut.

Date: March 30, 2014 04:21

Stoneburst
kleermaker

Ha, I thought you would! Good to know the footage is out there - hopefully we'll be able to see it again sometime. I remember watching that Shine A Light clip and being amazed - he probably hadn't played that song since 1972, yet he sits in with a studio band and his solo's better than the one he played on the studio cut.

If you give your email adress I'll be able to send both videos to you if you like.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 30, 2014 04:58

Who said he has "rejoined"? He has been billed on this 50th etc. tour as a "special guest", which won't be permanent.

Bill Wyman "rejoined" for a couple of shows in 2012, but then soon requit. Or releft. Or something.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 30, 2014 05:35

The jury has to be out until a recording of Love In Vain from the California club show surfaces. I'm tempted by some of these Sway solos, but the band just butchers the feel of Sway every time they've played it: rhythm guitars, drums, vocals, the intro/turnaround. You'd think they could just learn the Sticky Fingers version the way they used to learn those dozens of blues covers, by playing along with the record endlessly, but no. Really puzzling.

For now, I think I'm going to have to go with 5/20(?) CYHMK because you can feel this amazing roar circle the arena during its height; perhaps the last time a musical highlight, as opposed to a show/jagger/staging highlight, just makes everybody in the audience shout out without knowing why. The guitar notes made everyone high.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 30, 2014 05:43

stonehearted
Who said he has "rejoined"? He has been billed on this 50th etc. tour as a "special guest", which won't be permanent.

Bill Wyman "rejoined" for a couple of shows in 2012, but then soon requit. Or releft. Or something.
Yeah, but this is probably the last tour and they can't really turn around now. They unleashed a monster. They are just lucky they aren't really expected to tour after this or else it would be a huge step down to not have Taylor there. For all intents and purposes, he's rejoined.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: March 30, 2014 07:43

stonehearted
Who said he has "rejoined"?

Uh,awkwaaaard! That's something we've been meaning to tell you. Apologies for not letting you in on it earlier. smoking smiley

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 30, 2014 09:52

This was an interesting one.. Perhaps Taylor got bored, but at any rate, it seemed to have inspired the rest of the band to turn it up a notch...

And, of course, he breathed a few seconds of life into Satisfaction in San Jose...

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:31

If you don't mind me asking for the SAL video from the Fallon show...I'd really appreciate you sending it to me...That's one missing in my collection...
CrazyMama

Posted by: Screamer ()
Date: March 30, 2014 11:47

Could anyone upload CYHMK from Glastonbury?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 30, 2014 12:35

winter
stonehearted
Who said he has "rejoined"?

Uh,awkwaaaard! That's something we've been meaning to tell you. Apologies for not letting you in on it earlier. smoking smiley

Ah, I see, OK. But make sure you inform the Stones. Otherwise there could be royalties issues.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: March 30, 2014 13:25

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
kleermaker
Stoneburst
kleermaker

Yes I know that Kleer, thanks again.smileys with beer

Date: March 30, 2014 15:16

Screamer
Could anyone upload CYHMK from Glastonbury?

Won't work, because it will be blocked worldwide immediately. I've tried several times, but copyright owner Eagle Rock doesn't allow it.

Date: March 30, 2014 15:35

Norbert
If you don't mind me asking for the SAL video from the Fallon show...I'd really appreciate you sending it to me...That's one missing in my collection...
CrazyMama

Sent!

Date: March 30, 2014 15:41

kleermaker
If you give your email adress I'll be able to send both videos to you if you like.

I'd appreciate that very much, thank you! My email's now visible.

Date: March 30, 2014 16:27

Stoneburst
kleermaker

I'd appreciate that very much, thank you! My email's now visible.

Both sent!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 30, 2014 17:36

kleermaker - I know that I sometimes differ with your comments about Taylor the London solo is brilliant and just flows so perfectly on YCAGWYW. I won't go so far as saying its the best solo I've heard from anyone but it is possibly the best solo in the Stones cannon.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home