Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The purpose of IORR - and what it takes to get banned
Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: March 27, 2014 19:38

Sorry you had to spend some time on this BV,I appreciate all that you do here...I like being here(I like being anywhere..)Keep up the great work..& I'm proud of my complete collection of IORR...

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 27, 2014 19:59

bv
Aquamarine
Can I have your spot? winking smiley

and on the broader topic--I think sometimes it's important to recognize that internet forums are not democracies, and that nobody gets to belong to or stay in one by right. Just as if someone comes into my home and starts saying stuff I find offensive, I reserve the right to throw him/her out.

There is a reason why all serious online news sites require login and full name these days. They want to get rid of all the internet ghosts and hate people. Someone said recently that any discussion on internet sooner or later will be Hitlerized, meaning people compare to Adolf @#$%& and start calling each other communist, nazi and other hate words. Also, that is why all online sites close the comments fields at nights. The IORR forum is open 24/7/365. My job is to keep it open without it getting too much Hitlerized.

Hi, Bjornulf!

Two days ago I wanted to leave IORR, because you've deleted some very correct and non-offending posts, some of mine too. I felt very unhappy, tried to get out, but couldn't find an exit button here. And you didn't help me to get out. So I'm still here to say you this:

BV, you are not a god. And I see, you don't want it to be. But you are still trying to hold your board clean. And you always try to steer your ship through heavy sea, safely. I know by myself: It's a very hard job. Respect, Bjornulf!

You are a very tolerant guy, too. Mostly. But sometimes, when the shitstorm is a little to heavy, you are acting like a patriarch, arbitrary, and so you are hurting some innocent posters, too. But I see your point: It will take too much time to read all the posts and to judge them, one by one. And I can see: You are not happy with this, but there will be no other way to act. Respect again, Bjornulf!

And now some words to some posters, here and on other boards and forums:

Some posters must be very lonesome, spending very much time on internet.
They do want contact, share some thoughts with other people, they want nearness and the warmth of some fellow human beings.

But here in www there is no real life, no real feelings. All written posts are digitally. There is no eye-contact, no smell, nothing to hear. Most senses are cut off.

But, trying a littler harder, touching other posters by there deepest feelings, hurt them by posting shitty rumours or by degrading their idols, you'll get some reaction. And so these unhappy lonesome posters can feel themselves very strong by doing so.

And so, after reading to much posts here on IORR, I become very depressively, again and again. And I want to leave, sometimes.

But than again, I can find some very serious post, and some with good feelings and humour, too.

And after all I can say: I'm glad to be here on your board, Bjornulf, still.

But sometime, I'll have to take a break ... cool smiley

Let It Loose!
HighwireC

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 27, 2014 20:26

Stoneage
I'm not so convinced with that private home analogy though. Very few of us invites 2 million people into our homes during a year...

and 24 hours a day smiling smiley

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: March 27, 2014 21:24

We should all respect BV's time, dedication and hard work to his site that he invites the world into. We all share the common bond of passion and love for the Rolling Stones, their Music and Fascinating Adventures. BV cut me out last week and let me back in today. He should be respected and we should all be thankful for this incredible forum of information and insight that he provides for all of us. Thank You BV, You are Very Much Appreciated !!!

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 27, 2014 21:48

Aquamarine
Just as if someone comes into my home and starts saying stuff I find offensive, I reserve the right to throw him/her out.

I like that comparison

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: March 27, 2014 21:51

Stoneage
I'm not so convinced with that private home analogy though. Very few of us invites 2 million people into our homes during a year...

Neither does Bjornulf here on IORR. As far as I know nobody here was invited by Bjornulf.

-------------------

Date: March 27, 2014 22:19

Rolling Hansie
Stoneage

Neither does Bjornulf here on IORR. As far as I know nobody here was invited by Bjornulf.

I was.

Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: March 27, 2014 22:36

kleermaker
Rolling Hansie
Stoneage

I was.

... wow !!!!

You are BV's number one man ???

Awestricken,

HighwireC

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: March 27, 2014 22:59

Respect is the basis of a good working relationship as well great friendship. Also in your job, you should have respect for the people who work with and work for!

IORR is not only the greatest place to meet other Rolling Stones fans in the internet, it is also the absolute best discussion forum, which I ever saw in the www. And that only, because BV does an amazing great job in his precious spare time!

Bjornulf, thanx so much for all the hard work, which you already done for us and also for your hard work, which you'll do in the future!! Everytime, when I log in IORR, I feel like I'm coming home (online). >grinning smiley<

Date: March 27, 2014 23:14

HighwireC
kleermaker
Rolling Hansie
Stoneage

I was.

... wow !!!!

You are BV's number one man ???

Awestricken,

HighwireC

Goto: Search•Recent Messages•Log In

I considered that as an invitation, didn't you?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 27, 2014 23:17

kleermaker
Rolling Hansie
Stoneage

I was.

The question is Who invited BV grinning smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 27, 2014 23:40

HighwireC
But sometimes, when the shitstorm is a little to heavy, you are acting like a patriarch, arbitrary, and so you are hurting some innocent posters, too.
HighwireC

When there is a storm, which we do have from time to time, like last week, then some times innocent people are thrown into the sea. We do have lots of storms in Norway, and the sea takes and the sea gives.

I am unable to spend all day looking into Mr Nice guy and Mr Clean guy. May be I delete one too many posts, but why take this so personal? Most people are anonymous and many call me names like communist and nazi and the whole range og genitals. So if Dirty Harry shoot and hit the person in front of or next to the bad guy it is simply part of the game.

The world is not perfect. By far. Why expect me to be perfect? I do this for free, before I can do my real work on the very same PC, the work that do pay for my bills. Please line up everyone who never make a mistake. I am ready take names.

Bjornulf

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 28, 2014 00:02

bv

There is a reason why all serious online news sites require login and full name these days. They want to get rid of all the internet ghosts and hate people. Someone said recently that any discussion on internet sooner or later will be Hitlerized, meaning people compare to Adolf @#$%& and start calling each other communist, nazi and other hate words. Also, that is why all online sites close the comments fields at nights. The IORR forum is open 24/7/365. My job is to keep it open without it getting too much Hitlerized.

Yes, that's "Godwin's law": [en.wikipedia.org]

My interpretation of it, not too far from yours, Bjornulf is that when the discussion takes a turn to @#$%& and the Nazis, the discussion has already gone downhill and cannot be saved anymore.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 00:54 by angee.

Date: March 28, 2014 01:16

I find it sad there is so much animosity, a few years ago this place was quite pacific and Bjornulf had to do this very rarely. I hope he doesn't close the place.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 28, 2014 01:37

Hmm...I don't think anyone here questions the site operator's dedication to the Rolling Stones, his passion, or his commitment to maintaining this site. Nor do we question his rights as a moderator to do what he feels is appropriate for his forum, which I have to agree, is the best one out there about this particular group of musicians.

That said, I find the disappearance of certain threads to be rather arbitrary, or even odd. I also feel there is sometimes a certain kind of political correctness with regard to the Rolling Stones and their image in the name of "privacy", etc. that feels artificial. We are, after all, talking about a band who started out by defying social convention and courting controversy. They are not gods, just people, and flawed ones at that (as we all are). They can take care of themselves.

I will also mentioned that I was banned once because of a joke I told, which was misunderstood by a non-native English speaker who then reported me. All of a sudden my access was just cut off. So I can relate to people who say the bans have sometimes been arbitrary (other times they have been well-deserved).

Like any other gathering of diverse people there are bound to be different types of personalities. Most people are kind and polite. Some folks cannot seem to play well with others. Some other folks seem to lack a sense of humor or irony. No different fom any other group of people, I guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 01:40 by 71Tele.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2014 01:55

andrewt
treaclefingers
Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
From BV:

- IQ is unevenly distributed among people
- The apple falls close by the three
- Like parent like child
- People care mostly about themselves
(this one's a beauty!!)

Totally CLASSIC!!

CE hot smiley

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
I had the idea BV is a very serious guy but it's good to see he can be funny too!

He's not bad, but he's going to have to sharpen it if he ever hopes to take on the big boys.

Yes there are standards to maintain. Ironic detachment is hard to hold on to because, ironically, it keeps getting detached.

I was going to respond to this post earlier, but I keep forgetting who you are or why I'm posting here.

Posted by: TimeIs ()
Date: March 28, 2014 02:06

BV, thanks very much for all the effort and great work you put into this forum and its needed moderation.

This is a funny-but-serious-and-good video on How To Behave On An Internet Forum, where Step 6 seems particularly apt to this thread.

See also Step 2 for Godwin's law, as discussed earlier:

bv
Someone said recently that any discussion on internet sooner or later will be Hitlerized, meaning people compare to Adolf @#$%& and start calling each other communist, nazi and other hate words. Also, that is why all online sites close the comments fields at nights. The IORR forum is open 24/7/365. My job is to keep it open without it getting too much Hitlerized.

angee
Yes, that's "Godwin's law": [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 28, 2014 03:50

treaclefingers
andrewt
treaclefingers
Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
From BV:

- Like parent like child
(this one's a beauty!!)

Totally CLASSIC!!

CE hot smiley

I had the idea BV is a very serious guy but it's good to see he can be funny too!

He's not bad, but he's going to have to sharpen it if he ever hopes to take on the big boys.

Yes there are standards to maintain. Ironic detachment is hard to hold on to because, ironically, it keeps getting detached.

I was going to respond to this post earlier, but I keep forgetting who you are or why I'm posting here.

Happens all the time. I'm only here because I got lost looking for the setlist thread and I'm too proud to ask for directions.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 28, 2014 04:44

I love this site. Thanks BV.

Despite the the hassles it may create for him, I don't believe he'd ever close this site. Has way too much time invested.

But BV, If you ever do decide to close it, call me. I'll buy it.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 28, 2014 04:49

The thing I most enjoy about this site is interacting with people from all over the world about a subject we all enjoy. Some of faces I've seen in pictures but most people are just anonymous to me. Over the years we all have debated anything and everything debatable, (some things only while they lasted). While the Stones have rolled on we all have anguished over the loss of some our favorite musicians, actors, politicians, and everyday people. Some not so favorite too. We have celebrated World Cups, Super Bowls, Olympics, and every sport imaginable. Sometimes it is good to take a break from all the posting here and enjoy other things in life. It can be refreshing to come back dive right in.

In all the years I've been here I'll say this about BV, he is a character. He is passionate about the Stones, IORR, traveling, mountain climbing, skiing, sports, family and respect. He is funny to me because he has a strange way of making his point in his best English verses. His Dirty Harry quotes and life advice are priceless. I think he has cut us all some slack over the years so try to cut him some when he asks for it instead of arguing about it. Just my advice, you all do what you want.

Now enough for tonight so I must pay tribute to BV of Norway and indulge in a can of my favorites, King Oscar Norwegian sardines and a piece of French bread before falling asleep. One of these days I must try some herring in the jar. Pickled or with cream, which is better?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 28, 2014 05:35

andrewt
treaclefingers
andrewt
treaclefingers
Dreamer
Cocaine Eyes
From BV:

- Like parent like child
(this one's a beauty!!)

Totally CLASSIC!!

CE hot smiley

Happens all the time. I'm only here because I got lost looking for the setlist thread and I'm too proud to ask for directions.

hmmm...I ain't too proud to beg

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 28, 2014 07:03

The man who never made a mistake never made anything - and I am very grateful to bv for making this site and keeping it going, especially through the kind of pressure there must have been in the last few difficult days. The temptation to shut up shop and go and be a poster on some other moderator's board must be enormous sometimes, so thank you bv for putting up with us all.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 07:52

71Tele
We are, after all, talking about a band who started out by defying social convention and courting controversy. They are not gods, just people, and flawed ones at that (as we all are). They can take care of themselves.

I've been thinking along these lines lately, too. There is a hagiographic impulse at play here when it comes to the band, in my opinion.

But, you know, I guess everyone likes something different about the Stones. I first saw them in '72 and while the show was pure adrenaline I was a bit disappointed that the messianic fervor surrounding them had already disappeared. By '78, when I saw them next, they had become the sort of clowny good-time party band that they are today.

They have great songs and millions of fans worldwide who love to hear them play those songs. So, who's to argue?

I will just always remember them as subversive snot-nosed r'n'b-loving guttersnipes who never gave a @#$%& about the kinds of social niceties that are sometimes all-consuming in these parts.

We've all got our own version of the band we love; that's mine.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 28, 2014 08:02

I've been often wondering how you ,BV, makes such a good job here ,the place to be for all of us,the Stones aficionados , plus mountain climbing , plus sharing time with your family and grand children etc

You are a " Superman " A "force de la nature " as we say in France thumbs up

To me ,IORR is like the Hotel California winking smiley
"Relax, " said the night man,
"We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave! "

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 28, 2014 08:09

jazzbass

But BV, If you ever do decide to close it, call me. I'll buy it.

Get in there QUICK before bloody Facebook swallows us up!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 28, 2014 11:48

When will it be acceptable to discuss L'Wren's death, it's effect on Jagger and the stones, any quips Keith will probably come up with about it etc etc?

Brian Jones, his life, his character and his death has been discussed loads of times here with little to no concern about privacy or respect for the deceased or his living relations.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 28, 2014 12:13

His Majesty
When will it be acceptable to discuss L'Wren's death, it's effect on Jagger and the stones, any quips Keith will probably come up with about it etc etc?

Brian Jones, his life, his character and his death has been discussed loads of times here with little to no concern about privacy or respect for the deceased or his living relations.

After a certain amount of time. When it just happened yesterday or a couple of days ago it's not possible nor appropriate. That's how it feels for most of us I guess.
So next year that will probably be possible...?

Date: March 28, 2014 12:19

The Sicilian
I think he has cut us all some slack over the years so try to cut him some when he asks for it instead of arguing about it.

Can't argue with that one smileys with beer Cheers

-------------------

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 28, 2014 13:30

LongBeachArena72

I will just always remember them as subversive snot-nosed r'n'b-loving guttersnipes who never gave a @#$%& about the kinds of social niceties that are sometimes all-consuming in these parts.

We've all got our own version of the band we love; that's mine.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 28, 2014 15:18

71Tele
Hmm...I don't think anyone here questions the site operator's dedication to the Rolling Stones, his passion, or his commitment to maintaining this site. Nor do we question his rights as a moderator to do what he feels is appropriate for his forum, which I have to agree, is the best one out there about this particular group of musicians.

That said, I find the disappearance of certain threads to be rather arbitrary, or even odd. I also feel there is sometimes a certain kind of political correctness with regard to the Rolling Stones and their image in the name of "privacy", etc. that feels artificial. We are, after all, talking about a band who started out by defying social convention and courting controversy. They are not gods, just people, and flawed ones at that (as we all are). They can take care of themselves.

I will also mentioned that I was banned once because of a joke I told, which was misunderstood by a non-native English speaker who then reported me. All of a sudden my access was just cut off. So I can relate to people who say the bans have sometimes been arbitrary (other times they have been well-deserved).

Like any other gathering of diverse people there are bound to be different types of personalities. Most people are kind and polite. Some folks cannot seem to play well with others. Some other folks seem to lack a sense of humor or irony. No different fom any other group of people, I guess.

Thing is...humour doesn't always travel well... especially when not everybody is communicating in their first language.

Those of us with an ironic or slightly black sense of humour often have to tread a little carefully if we don't want our sentiments to be misunderstood.

That said, how some folks could think that their comments about recent sad events were appropriate so soon afterwards is beyond me.

Like Tele says...there are different kinds of people ...and one sadly too common kind is the Insensitive Moron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 15:19 by Spud.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home