Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Keith on "Playing For Change 3: Songs Around The World", out June 17
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 26, 2014 15:53

Playing For Change Announces 3rd Album: Songs Around The World

worldmusiccentral.org – March 25, 2014

The album Playing For Change 3 “Songs Around The World” will be released June 17th, 2014. The CD/DVD set includes performances from Keith Richards, Sara Bareilles, Andres Calamaro, Toots Hibbert from Toots & The Maytals, Los Lobos, Preservation Hall Jazz Band, Keb Mo, and Taj Mahal in addition to a song produced by Jackson Browne. “Playing For Change, That’s the way music was meant to be,” says Keith Richards (Rolling Stones).

Playing For Change was created to inspire, connect and bring peace to the world through music. In 2005, co-founders Mark Johnson and Whitney Kroenke created the concept of the Songs Around The World by uniting together musicians from many different countries and cultures to perform on the same track. Mark and a small crew traveled across 5 continents with a mobile recording studio and cameras with the vision of building a global family through the power of music. The first song released was a version of “Stand By Me”, featuring over 35 musicians from 10 countries who had never met in person. Since then, this international version of “Stand By Me” has been viewed over 100 million times online. The first two volumes of Playing For Change include Songs Around The World and PFC 2: Songs Around The World.

Traveling with Playing For Change across Cuba was one of the most rewarding and inspiring musical experiences of my life,” says Jackson Browne.

Since the release of the first video, Playing For Change has sold over 550,000 units worldwide, topped the World Music Charts, and has had over 200 million online video views. The video for Maroon 5’s “Daylight” topped the VH1 and MTV top video countdowns, and the Peace Through Music feature film was a runner up for the People’s Choice award at the 2008 Tribeca Film Festival.

In 2012, Playing For Change was awarded the coveted “Tribeca Disruptive Innovation” award, which celebrates those whose ideas have broken the mold to create significant impact. “Playing For Change, man all my life I’ve been putting out love, but not like that,” says Grandpa Elliott.

Playing For Change 3 “Songs Around The World” Track listing

1. La Bamba (featuring Los Lobos and Andres Calamaro)

2. Words Of Wonder (featuring Keith Richards, Titi Tsira (PFC Band), Roberto Luti (PFC Band), and Aztec Indians)

3. Get Up Stand Up (featuring Keith Richards, Keb’ Mo’, Mermans Mosengo (PFC Band), Sherieta Lewis from Kingston, Jamaica and Natalie of Blue King Brown (Australia))

4. Reggae Got Soul: (featuring Toots Hibbert (Toots and the Maytals), Taj Mahal and Ernest Ranglin)

5. Down By The Riverside: (featuring New Orleans street performing Legend Grandpa Elliott (PFC Band / Stand By Me Video), Keb’ Mo’, and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band)

6. A Better Place – (featuring the PFC Band and Glen David Andrews)

7. What’s Going On – (featuring Sara Bareilles, Clarence Bekker (PFC Band) and Titi Tsira (PFC Band))

8. Guantanamera – (featuring Carlos Varela and Manuel Galban)

[playingforchange.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-04 13:05 by bye bye johnny.

Re: Keith on "Playing For Change 3: Songs Around The World", out June 17
Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: March 26, 2014 17:14

Cool. Interesting to choose a Main Offender track as well.

Now, c'mon Keith, how about a full album? We're getting old waiting on it.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 26, 2014 17:16

andrewt

hot smileysmileys with beer
Yeah, just release your latest recordings Keef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jeroen

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: March 26, 2014 21:22

andrewt

We are waiting for your new solo album...c'mon keef!!!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 26, 2014 22:42

Would be cool to see new stuff and unreleased older stuff together in a 'new' album.

New Keef !
Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 29, 2014 13:05

Re: New Keef !
Posted by: gagi ()
Date: April 29, 2014 13:12

Thanks!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: April 29, 2014 13:12

AWESOME!!!

Date: April 29, 2014 13:18

Lovely! thumbs up

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 29, 2014 13:21

Wow! I really love him doing stuff like this. Cool!thumbs up

What's the story of this? Anyone knows?

- Doxa

Date: April 29, 2014 13:25

Doxa
Wow! I really love him doing stuff like this. Cool!thumbs up

What's the story of this? Anyone knows?

- Doxa

It's a series of recorded music round the globe, I think. The last release was (among others) Taj Mahal with Gimme Shelter. They released an album with these recordings, if memory serves.

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: April 29, 2014 13:25

thanks!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 29, 2014 13:37

Wow! Lovely, lovely, Keith.

Thanks for posting, Deathgod. smiling smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: April 29, 2014 13:47

Thanks, and thank you KEEF !! see ya in Stockholm !!!!!!!!!
Jeroen

Date: April 29, 2014 14:02

They've done some beautiful ones. "Stand by Me", and some other Marley tunes.

Posted by: TotalBB ()
Date: April 29, 2014 14:03

/edit: never mind, already posted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-29 14:04 by TotalBB.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: April 29, 2014 15:14

It's the real Keef
You can see the joy

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: April 29, 2014 15:21

Thanks for posting. Good work Keith et al!

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: April 29, 2014 16:57

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: April 29, 2014 17:20

Just love this. Agree - "You can see the joy."smiling smiley
Here's a link to the Playing With Change Foundation website: [playingforchange.org].

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 29, 2014 17:33

rogerriffin

Wonderful stuff. Is this recent? How do they record this? Do they start with a basic-track and then each fills certain gaps? In any case, very well done.
And as for Keith, like with the Wingless Angels, he does this sort of thing splendidly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-04-29 18:50 by bv.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: April 29, 2014 17:57

Very enjoyable.

Thanks thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:02

Beautiful! Thanks and praises ... and you know? Keith Richards, I love you.

Date: April 29, 2014 18:18

matxil
Wonderful stuff. Is this recent? How do they record this? Do they start with a basic-track and then each fills certain gaps? In any case, very well done.
And as for Keith, like with the Wingless Angels, he does this sort of thing splendidly.

"Playing For Change was born in 2002 as a shared vision between co-founders, Mark Johnson and Whitney Kroenke, to hit the streets of America with a mobile recording studio and cameras in search of inspiration and the heartbeat of the people. Producers Mark Johnson and Enzo Buono, traveled around the world to places including New Orleans, Barcelona, South Africa, India, Nepal, the Middle East and Ireland. Using mobile recording equipment, the duo recorded local musicians performing the same song, interpreted in their own style. This musical journey resulted in the award-winning documentary, "A Cinematic Discovery of Street Musicians."

In 2005, Mark Johnson was walking in Santa Monica, California, when he heard the voice of Roger Ridley (now deceased) singing “Stand By Me.” Roger had so much soul and conviction in his voice, and Mark approached him about performing “Stand By Me” as a Song Around The World. Roger agreed, and when Mark returned with recording equipment and cameras he asked Roger, “With a voice like yours, why are you singing on the streets?” Roger replied, “Man I’m in the Joy business, I come out to be with the people.” [The "Stand By Me" recording was an internet phenomenon that went viral.] Ever since that day, the Playing For Change crew has traveled the world recording and filming musicians, creating Songs Around The World, and building a global family."

More "Songs Around The World": [playingforchange.com]

New "Songs Around The World" CD/DVDs are now released annually.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:21

I noticed on this, as well as the Hyde Park DVD, that Keith's voice has gotten stronger and more intelligible, as his guitar playing has faded. This is better than anything the Stones have recorded in a long time. Some real bottom bass instead of Stanley Clark nonsense.

Reggae really brings out the soul in Keith. This was nice to hear.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:33

BostonLass
matxil

"Playing For Change was born in 2002 as a shared vision between co-founders, Mark Johnson and Whitney Kroenke, to hit the streets of America with a mobile recording studio and cameras in search of inspiration and the heartbeat of the people. Producers Mark Johnson and Enzo Buono, traveled around the world to places including New Orleans, Barcelona, South Africa, India, Nepal, the Middle East and Ireland. Using mobile recording equipment, the duo recorded local musicians performing the same song, interpreted in their own style. This musical journey resulted in the award-winning documentary, "A Cinematic Discovery of Street Musicians."

In 2005, Mark Johnson was walking in Santa Monica, California, when he heard the voice of Roger Ridley (now deceased) singing “Stand By Me.” Roger had so much soul and conviction in his voice, and Mark approached him about performing “Stand By Me” as a Song Around The World. Roger agreed, and when Mark returned with recording equipment and cameras he asked Roger, “With a voice like yours, why are you singing on the streets?” Roger replied, “Man I’m in the Joy business, I come out to be with the people.” [The "Stand By Me" recording was an internet phenomenon that went viral.] Ever since that day, the Playing For Change crew has traveled the world recording and filming musicians, creating Songs Around The World, and building a global family."

Yeah, but still, I wonder how they get it so as if each one of them hears exactly what the rest does, which is impossible. I mean, the sound of all those combined instruments sounds great, almost as if they could hear each other, which means they either have some amazingly good producers or use some kind of iterative procedure.

Date: April 29, 2014 18:50

matxil
BostonLass
matxil

Yeah, but still, I wonder how they get it so as if each one of them hears exactly what the rest does, which is impossible. I mean, the sound of all those combined instruments sounds great, almost as if they could hear each other, which means they either have some amazingly good producers or use some kind of iterative procedure.

I'm so not an expert on recording - I have no idea, and I wonder, too! Perhaps whatever the musicians hear through the headphones guides and unifies their efforts. And I imagine the production crew is indeed pretty amazing.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:54

I love this series. I saw a documentary on it and they showed these kids from Ireland singing Love Rescue Me and the music was recorded 1/2 a world away. Brought tear to my eyes. Really moving.

Biko was also really cool.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: April 29, 2014 18:58

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

Keith don't wear his skull ring nor his bracelet, I notice.

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 29, 2014 19:32

24FPS
I noticed on this, as well as the Hyde Park DVD, that Keith's voice has gotten stronger and more intelligible, as his guitar playing has faded. This is better than anything the Stones have recorded in a long time. Some real bottom bass instead of Stanley Clark nonsense.

Reggae really brings out the soul in Keith. This was nice to hear.

Strongly agree with all of these points, esp. Keith's singing. Lots of other talent there also.

I rather hear Keith do stuff like this for change than the same old stuff for big bucks.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1213
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home