Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17
Re: mick taylor .. as a guest ... downgraded ..?
Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: July 5, 2014 17:11

muffie
The fun police got to him before his guitar playing elevated the band out of this stratosphere. Example:

Seriously, he was doing 3 tracks on the Asian tour in March (Slipping Away, MR, Satisfaction), though did a one off extra Silvertrain fan vote in Tokyo. In the European leg they've pulled Slipping Away so he's been downgraded to two tracks.

Fingers crossed he gets more airtime in the Aussie leg of the tour later this year.

You are so right. For those 12 -15 minutes per show - they are truly the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World". Mick Taylor brings the "majesty" back to their sound. I watch the videos of MR from each show and I am amazed at how each performance is beautifully improvised, spontaneous, and utterly killer. With Taylor in the mix, no other band comes close.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: July 5, 2014 17:17

With Keith fading, it would seem (on paper at least) that an extra guitarist would help, live.

But again, discussed to death on here. Loved or loathed. I would not pay to see the band in their current state, but obviously thousands in Europe just disagreed on this tour.

Date: July 5, 2014 21:51

DECCA61
Hi all, i hope everyone here had a great european tour !

my thoughts about Mick Taylor .. a waste of time or ... he just played only during one song ( midnight rambler )

what would have been the reason for downgrading his performance and dump him at the final bow .. who's choice or decision is this . anyone knows more?

decca61

Two songs.

Date: July 5, 2014 21:54

Jelly Face Joe
muffie
The fun police got to him before his guitar playing elevated the band out of this stratosphere. Example:

Seriously, he was doing 3 tracks on the Asian tour in March (Slipping Away, MR, Satisfaction), though did a one off extra Silvertrain fan vote in Tokyo. In the European leg they've pulled Slipping Away so he's been downgraded to two tracks.

Fingers crossed he gets more airtime in the Aussie leg of the tour later this year.

For those 12-15 minutes AND for those last 8 songs.

You are so right. For those 12 -15 minutes per show - they are truly the "Greatest Rock and Roll Band in the World". Mick Taylor brings the "majesty" back to their sound. I watch the videos of MR from each show and I am amazed at how each performance is beautifully improvised, spontaneous, and utterly killer. With Taylor in the mix, no other band comes close.

Re: STOCKHOLM Sweden 2014 Rolling Stones show and travel info
Posted by: Starr ()
Date: July 6, 2014 01:51

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()

Date: July 5, 2014 17:17

With Keith fading, it would seem (on paper at least) that an extra guitarist would help, live.

But again, discussed to death on here. Loved or loathed. I would not pay to see the band in their current state, but obviously thousands in Europe just disagreed on this tour.

Keith fading??? bullshit man... If you haven't seen 'em on this tour you have really missed out on something special - they are still THE GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD... Stockholm was GREAT!!!

"till the next time..."

Star

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 6, 2014 02:15

buffalo7478

I am not gonna comment seriously on your statement, because i would get banned.
But you are talking utter rubbish to put it lightly.

Jeroen

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: July 6, 2014 04:07

buffalo7478
With Keith fading, it would seem...
-dismiss

Date: July 6, 2014 04:08

crawdaddy
Hope you get to meet zgubi................Andreea ,in Stockholm, as she is a lovely,devoted Stones fan who loves travelling. She makes fantastic videos for her tour diary and you never know,may see you in her Stockholm video.
Second that. be careful though, you might not even
know when/if she's filming. very sneaky

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-07 00:17 by Nikkei.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: July 6, 2014 14:04

grzegorz67
DP told me they've lived in California for the last 5 years. Tax reasons perhaps ?
Although California has high taxes by US standards. I do remember DP talking to some people prior to entry in Oslo as very strangely GA & GC queued together! DP and I are in the last shot on this page and pehaps you are too ?

[www.iorr.org]

I met you in that queue but I was in the other GC line. Went over to talk to dp during the wait before the doors opened.... smiling smiley (I'm in the official Oslovideo at 0:21...winking smiley )

Anyway, it's right that bb have lived in California for some years. If I'm not wrong it's because they wanted to work on their music over there and try to get an american audience. I also think they have got some more of that californian feel to their music after they moved. There is a nice documentary on youtube showing how they work in California. (but it's in norwegian..)

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: July 6, 2014 14:53

Nikkei
crawdaddy
Hope you get to meet zgubi................Andreea ,in Stockholm, as she is a lovely,devoted Stones fan who loves travelling. She makes fantastic videos for her tour diary and you never know,may see you in her Stockholm video.
Second that. be careful though, you might not even
know when/if she's filming. very sneaky

hehe, there are so many other moments I would have liked to capture:
fans in the merchendise queue in Abu Dhabi from all over the world 10 minutes after I had met the Stones!
the fans meetings at Radisson in Oslo
guy from Sweden I met at the castle in Lisbon
drinks after the concert in Zurich
meetings fans who drove from Slovenia in Vienna
meeting Martha in Rome
the after-party in Madrid
everyone that stopped me on the street in Stockholm to tell me good job on what you're doing

with every episode you learn more, I'm sure the series will continue one way or another

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: July 6, 2014 15:01

thumbs upwinking smileythumbs up

Date: July 6, 2014 15:13

but the fact that you can list your favourite moments
up also means that your mind has captured them at least.
so you have got storys you can tell. it was a great moment
talking to Mick Taylor, but i wouldn't want to have that on
video. both of us must've been kinda bleary-eyed i suppose

Posted by: zgubi ()
Date: July 6, 2014 17:24

Stockholm, this fantastic place I had seen in pictures on the walls of IKEA, the city famous for it’s underground stations where each one is decorated as a museum, the place where you get the longest day in the summer and shortest night in the winter.

One year ago I didn’t imagine I’d be going to Stockholm so soon. It was all arranged on impulse when the Stones announced extra availability for Lucky Dip tickets, this was shortly after I returned from Australia and already to the limit of my budget. But I said I should go for it, I’ll find a way to get there and I’ve been waiting for this tour to happen for almost 7 years now.

While in Barcelona (my home away from home for one week that enabled me to go to Rome, Madrid and eventually Stockholm) I managed to find a cheap flight to Stockholm and off I went on the 1st of July 2014 (show day) for my second trip to Scandinavia after Oslo, completing my tour experience back to where the European tour kicked off.

I left very early in the morning and my eyes were trying very hard to stay open. It was a long 3h and a half flight so there would have been time to sleep but I wanted to finish my video for Barcelona, remaining faithful to my goal of uploading the video for each trip just after it’s done:

I managed to squeeze in half an hour of sleep too.

Landed around 1pm and made my way to the bus for the city.

Stockholm Arlanda airport is fascinating, from the moment you step foot inside the terminal you can see posters with all these famous people from Stockholm welcoming you to their city, here are a couple of examples:

Just as I was getting out the door in comes Wilfried, the french fan I met in almost every city I visited, I learned from him that you can find tickets on show day, he’s been to more than 250 concerts so he knows! Interesting coincidence as the two of us together with our friend Gabor had rented an apartment close to the Olympic Stadium and were bound to meet at some point in the day, change would have it that we met right from the start.

Made our way to the central station, this gave us enough time for me to tell him my Abu Dhabi story, how I met the band and what happened after all that.

We found our way through the central station in Stockholm and shortly arrived in the Olympic park area, we were greeted by a very nice rabbit, the kind that roam around freely even in downtown Stockholm.

Arriving at the apartment where the landlord had Stones stickers and Pink Floyd posters on the wall, we enjoyed some strawberries, some coffee and some snacks and we were off to find some fans.

First we stopped at the Östgötakällaren (yes try saying that smiling smiley ) a pub owned by a Swedish Stones fan who had a cover band scheduled for the day prior to the show and show day. We were trying to find other fans we might know and we met the famous StonesVikings:

We then made our way towards the venue, the famous Ericsson Globe Arena is visible from the distance and the newly built Tele2 Arena is just behind it.

As we were getting closer we could see more and more people wearing Stones t-shirts walking in that direction.

This was a familiar feeling that I have experienced during the past one month and half, in a way I feel like I have been living in a Stones world that has hundreds of thousands of inhabitants and everywhere I go here they all are wearing the logo that is now part of the universal culture – the red tongue and lips.

I had an extra Lucky Dip ticket that convinced Nikkei to leave home and travel to Stockholm to see one more show. We had never met up to this point. We only met at the queue for the Lucky Dip tickets.

I said, now we need to feel super confident and see what this ticket lottery has in store for us tonight. We got the envelope and had tickets in the back area on second level. We walked around for a bit looking for an alternate location and decided to sit on the stairs, lateral view on Keith’s side and wait for the show to start.

I tweeted a picture of the arena for my friends at home and for people here that was also retweeted by the Rolling Stones:

I didn’t mind being in the seated area for this show, I could enjoy the view of the stage without stretching from one side to the other to get a good view. The only thing I was slightly disappointed about was having to actually sit smiling smiley

The familiar voice come in, the band is announced and Keith’s on stage with his blasting opening riff of Jumpin Jack Flash.

It was exploding and somehow shortly after that we jumped up from the stairs and moved to the very top of the seated area where there was a space about 1m wide on top of all seats where you could stand, dance, sing and go wild without bothering anyone and still having a fantastic view of the stage and the audience.

In a way this was the concert where I got the best seat where I could enjoy and watch the concert in perfect conditions. We had a blast dancing and singing all the lyrics!

I had a great feeling throughout the entire concert, a million thoughts going through my mind, flashbacks of the entire adventure since February this year, I realized in that moment that it’s during a concert that I am most creative and feeling in my perfect own element, I will follow this feeling and try to find a way to do this on a more “permanent basis” smiling smiley

Stockholm crowd was also very warm, I liked the arena quite a lot (even if I prefer open air venues this was actually pretty good), everyone was waving and singing and watching it all from above was very uplifting.

Midnight Rambler probably set a new record for length at this show, more than 15 minutes most likely, just keeps getting better and better.

The band and the audience was on fire and for me this was a perfect finale to the European tour adventure.

It was such a good that we were in no hurry of getting out of the arena so lingered on for quite a bit sitting there with satisfaction smiles. We might have been the last people to go out of the venue.

Outside we met with the original crew and that’s when things started to happen.

First I met Allison from the US who I had also met in Oslo but only now had a chance to talk for a bit. She told me that my videos are very precious and that she loves what I’m doing. Than I met Erick from Sweden who was already friends with Gabor and Wilfried, he was familiar with my adventures as well.

Walking out towards the city I met Ruby T who asked me if I was Andreea. This was amazing, for the first time I got feedback on my project from people I didn’t know, I found out that people are watching the videos and reading the blogs and I’m so happy to hear it. This whole project I’ve done firstly for myself to capture the experience and remember the stories if I forget in the future, but it was also to share my experience with people who cannot attend or friends I’ve met on the way.

We crossed the river and arrived at this panorama spot where I had my first glimpse into the “midnight sun”, faraway in the distance but you could still see it:

Summer night in Stockholm looks like an evening in other parts of Europe, it’s not completely dark more like twilight and that is my favorite part of the day. We had a first visit of Stockholm, seeing some of the sights from the lookout point and walking around the city.

As this was my last night on the tour I wanted to meet as many people as I could from those I met on the tour and I stayed out for a while longer.

First I met Peter from Germany, we met in several cities in the tour and a fun story about him is that in 2007 at my first concert in Bucharest I bought a keychain from him, I remembered him because of the round glasses, so we had to take this photo together:

After that I re-met the gang from Madrid and we ended up getting to Cafe Opera around 2.30am when it was almost daylight, I got to say goodbye to everyone and eventually made my way home happy that I had done everything I had set out to do.

The next day, after the Stones and the fans had left from Denmark, I went sightseeing on my ow. On the front page of a local newspaper, next to the photo of Jagger and Richards on stage the night before was the photo of Juha from Finaland (whom I had met in Oslo), tried to find it in several stores however it was all sold out:

There was one other Stones fan left in town, Bengt, a Swedish fan who had seen the band in Hyde Park last year. He was impressed and could not believe that someone from Romania managed to do all this, I told him I am too and even if it seems impossible, if you really want something and try do make it happen things fall into place and you eventually succeed. I will come back with a post on how I managed to pull this through and how if I could do it, anyone can!

The next day I was off to Malmo to catch my final flight home in the company of Nikolas for the first part of the morning who eventually made his way to Roskilde for the last show of the European tour.

It’s been a blast, an amazing adventure, a wonderful experience and a whole lot of Satisfaction.

My pictures from Stockholm can be found here.

This is my video from Stockholm and in the second part you can see a recap of how it all started, how it continued and completed and how the Rolling Stones took me place that I’ve never seen before (you can click the little snippets to see a specific chapter):

I make daily videos on the tour at [youtube.com]
Going to: London - Manchester - Twickenham - Berlin - Marseille - Prague - Warsaw

Date: July 6, 2014 17:33

great revisit! why don't send this to the reports page, too?
here it will possibly get lost soon

Date: July 6, 2014 18:17

the one picture i managed to take is of course the most shady/shaky:

i consider to at least borrow a smartphone for
a month and try to wrap my brain around the handling.

i wanna comment on a lot of your report, so here goes:
zgubi
Just as I was getting out the door in comes Wilfried, the french fan I met in almost every city I visited, I learned from him that you can find tickets on show day, he’s been to more than 250 concerts so he knows!
is Wilfried on here? i have gained tremendous Respect for him!
zgubi
This was a familiar feeling that I have experienced during the past one month and half, in a way I feel like I have been living in a Stones world that has hundreds of thousands of inhabitants and everywhere I go here they all are wearing the logo that is now part of the universal culture – the red tongue and lips.
yeah, we're an ever growing travellin' Circus, i suppose
zgubi
I had an extra Lucky Dip ticket that convinced Nikkei to leave home and travel to Stockholm to see one more show. We had never met up to this point. We only met at the queue for the Lucky Dip tickets.
I said, now we need to feel super confident and see what this ticket lottery has in store for us tonight. We got the envelope and had tickets in the back area on second level. We walked around for a bit looking for an alternate location and decided to sit on the stairs, lateral view on Keith’s side and wait for the show to start.
I tweeted a picture of the arena for my friends at home and for people here that was also retweeted by the Rolling Stones:
going at it in confidence works nearly everywhere. it's how you get onto Roskilde without having anything!
zgubi
It was exploding and somehow shortly after that we jumped up from the stairs and moved to the very top of the seated area where there was a space about 1m wide on top of all seats where you could stand, dance, sing and go wild without bothering anyone and still having a fantastic view of the stage and the audience.
it was the actual Rafters, a little higher
than the last row of seats against the wall.
we made good use of a dancing-and-tripping-proof floor like that:

zgubi
In a way this was the concert where I got the best seat where I could enjoy and watch the concert in perfect conditions. We had a blast dancing and singing all the lyrics!
already halfway through the concert it got me so hoarse i had to miss out on MY. big time out of register. both of us did the obligatory p*ssbreak instead, a nice tradition btw
zgubi
I had a great feeling throughout the entire concert, a million thoughts going through my mind, flashbacks of the entire adventure since February this year, I realized in that moment that it’s during a concert that I am most creative and feeling in my perfect own element, I will follow this feeling and try to find a way to do this on a more “permanent basis”
well, how is the Romanian Festival going? who says it always has to be Stones
zgubi
It was such a good that we were in no hurry of getting out of the arena so lingered on for quite a bit sitting there with satisfaction smiles. We might have been the last people to go out of the venue.
you're right, the security guy told me to hurry because he wanted to lock up behind me. he made me drop half the popcorn.
zgubi
Outside we met with the original crew and that’s when things started to happen.First I met Allison from the US who I had also met in Oslo but only now had a chance to talk for a bit. She told me that my videos are very precious and that she loves what I’m doing.
was she the one who threw us a kiss in your video?
zgubi
I met Peter from Germany, we met in several cities in the tour and a fun story about him is that in 2007 at my first concert in Bucharest I bought a keychain from him, I remembered him because of the round glasses, so we had to take this photo together:
special thanks also to him, as he was the one who took me from Roskilde to Hamburg in his van. we also watched the Fra/Ger game in a bar along the way. he's one of those fans who know nearly everything there's to know.i'm also thankful to LatvianInExile for giving me the contact. i met him at the Grand Hotel, where we said Goodbye to the Band:

the signing didn't happen as we hoped for because as soon it started to rain (there was a deafening thunderstrike right before they came out the entrance. i wonder if Keef performed the ritual with the stick?) the Stones were ushered into their Jeeps. probably for insurance reasons, i can imagine the lines in the contract like:
"under strictly no circumstances are any members of the Rolling Stones allowed to be exposed to Rain, Snow, Wind, very bright Sunlight or Temperatures above 30°C" ;-P
so the best thing we could do was give Charlie the usual chant.
zgubi
next to the photo of Jagger and Richards on stage the night before was the photo of Juha from Finaland (whom I had met in Oslo), tried to find it in several stores however it was all sold out:
ah so he was Juha! also a Viking! is he online here?
zgubi
The next day I was off to Malmo to catch my final flight home in the company of Nikolas for the first part of the morning who eventually made his way to Roskilde for the last show of the European tour.
the way this particular team constellation got ripped apart is what i consider the sad part of the adventure.
zgubi
It’s been a blast, an amazing adventure, a wonderful experience and a whole lot of Satisfaction.
My pictures from Stockholm can be found here
again, my heartfelt thanks and affection go out to you and all the others. we're bound to do Australia as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-06 18:39 by Nikkei.

Date: July 6, 2014 18:39

As well as being the best Rolling Stones European tour by the lads themselves that I have been on, the fan's, the places, and Andreeas' tour diary and fantastic videos have been a highlight of this tour.

Even more so having met and got to know Andreea as a really nice person .

The memories, videos, pics and reports from the European Tour 2014 are always gonna be there. >grinning smiley<

Date: July 6, 2014 19:14

crawdaddy
As well as being the best Rolling Stones European tour by the lads themselves that I have been on, the fan's, the places, and Andreeas' tour diary and fantastic videos have been a highlight of this tour.
Even more so having met and got to know Andreea as a really nice person .
The memories, videos, pics and reports from the European Tour 2014 are always gonna be there.
Cheers to you as well, Sir! do we get to meet on the Australian Tour?

Date: July 6, 2014 21:12

I wish I had met you Nickei. smileys with beer

You have probably seen what I look like, and I have seen you as well in Andreeas ' great videos and pics.

Couldn't make it to Stockholm and Denmark, and can't make Oz, but if you get to South America, I will be there. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-06 21:19 by crawdaddy.

Date: July 6, 2014 21:17

crawdaddy
can't make Oz, but if you get to South America, I will be there.
should definitely happen. Charlie's call, i guess

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: July 6, 2014 21:42

According to sources the Swedish tabloid Aftonbladet has talked to the 70-year-old Commander is still very much into rock and roll. In the literal sense of the word.
Apparently the Commander scored with two blond "more than 40 years younger" girls during his brief visit in Stockholm. The English tabloid Mirror is following up this article. Here is a link:
[www.mirror.co.uk]

Date: July 6, 2014 22:01

Stoneage
two blond "more than 40 years younger" girls during his brief visit in Stockholm. The English tabloid Mirror is following up this article. Here is a link:
[www.mirror.co.uk]

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 6, 2014 22:22

guess i know who the girls are. they both were at the Stockholm concert and standing just in front of us, 2nd row Golden Circle.

Jagger sure has good taste in women.

jeroen

Date: July 7, 2014 00:29

corriecas
Jagger sure has good taste in women.
jeroen
it smells kinda fishy that the article
mentions a span of 2days, yet i witnessed
Jagger leaving through the main entrance
in a rush before 15:00 on thursday.

Date: July 7, 2014 01:08

Nikkei, I think they arrived in Stockholm om Sunday and left on Wednesday. Most probably Jagger met the girls at Café Opera on Sunday,
gave them tickets to the concert and hooked up with them again after the gig on Tuesday night.

Date: July 7, 2014 01:39

well if you really want it to be true^^ i also don't recall
Jagger attending the afterparty. Matt Clifford was definitely
trying to woo some swedish girls, for Mick it was bedtime i guess

Date: July 7, 2014 02:41

So you were at the after-party then, Nikkei? How else can you have this information? I'm not an eyewitness, I'm just citing the press information.
This story is told in both Swedish and English tabloids. I can't, of course, verify them.

Date: July 7, 2014 02:53

i was hanging around in front of the hotel on a bench, watching the balcony.
i could've just went inside, everybody seemed to go. might have been a little
drunk when i decided to ask Mr Clifford to please send me down a cup of tea.
he wasn't too amused as he clearly was out there to engage someone =)

Date: July 7, 2014 03:04

Surely, from that position outside the hotel you couldn't have been able to judge whether Jagger attended the afterparty or not.

Date: July 7, 2014 03:25

Stoneage
Surely, from that position outside the hotel you couldn't have been able to judge whether Jagger attended the afterparty or not.
okay, i give you that. but there was also "professional photographers" from whom i got the info that
all the Stones went to bed hours ago. guess it wasn't their kind of party

Posted by: vintage stone ()
Date: July 7, 2014 11:35

Video made by myself…

>grinning smiley<

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617Next
Current Page: 16 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home