Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: TEL AVIV Israel 2014 Rolling Stones show and travel info
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 28, 2014 11:45

Medzvel
Why Israelis don't care about the Rolling Stones

Haaretz Newspaper, 25.04.2014

By Ben Shalev

That cannot be said of tickets to Neil Young (and Crazy Horse!) and the Pixies

Man, Crazy Horse is a pale shadow of its former self (last great tour was 2001) and seeing the Pixies live in 2014!? They were not that good on a stage in 1989, so in 2014... eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-28 11:51 by dcba.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: May 28, 2014 11:54

dcba
Medzvel
Why Israelis don't care about the Rolling Stones

Haaretz Newspaper, 25.04.2014

By Ben Shalev

That cannot be said of tickets to Neil Young (and Crazy Horse!) and the Pixies

Man, Crazy Horse is a pale shadow of its former self (last great tour was 2001) and seeing the Pixies live in 2014!? >grinning smiley< They were not that good on a stage in 1989, so in 2014... eye rolling smiley

80's music in Israel is what 70's music is in the US... I mean - same status, same type of crowd (social statues, age). 80's acts (Depeche Mode, Pixies) always sell well. Same for veteran single performers, especially American - Neil Young, Dylan, Leonard Cohen and Bruce Springsteen (who never performed here). These are a sure sellout. People love this concept, for what ever reason. Matter of taste. Anyway - this specific article is a typical provintial Gobbledygook you expect to find in newspapers here when regarding the world music issue.

Date: May 29, 2014 14:19

YCAGWYW will be supported by the Buchmann-Mehta School of Music choir. Some details about the process of preparing to the concert could be read in the article in the link (google translate it, obviously). The article mentiones a "general rehearsal planned with the band" - which if is true might be a great chance to see them rehersing - if it will happen in the park.

[www.ynet.co.il]

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 29, 2014 16:22

Wroclaw
YCAGWYW will be supported by the Buchmann-Mehta School of Music choir. Some details about the process of preparing to the concert could be read in the article in the link (google translate it, obviously). The article mentiones a "general rehearsal planned with the band" - which if is true might be a great chance to see them rehersing - if it will happen in the park.

[www.ynet.co.il]

Just sent u an e-mail through GMAIL

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: May 29, 2014 18:35

Local producer (S. Weiss) just announced that the concert would start at 21:15, not 20:30 as before, after the city council agreed for the violation of curfew dead line for outside events.

Paul - Got it, will do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-29 18:35 by Wroclaw.

Date: May 29, 2014 18:45

Wroclaw
Local producer (S. Weiss) just announced that the concert would start at 21:15, not 20:30 as before, after the city council agreed for the violation of curfew dead line for outside events.

Paul - Got it, will do.

Cheers thanks my friend, Paul

Posted by: Neurus ()
Date: May 29, 2014 18:55

Hi, I'm new here.

Is there any info on when the band arrives to Israel?

Date: May 29, 2014 19:11

Neurus
Hi, I'm new here.

Is there any info on when the band arrives to Israel?

They Perform in Zurich on Sunday which means it must be Monday-Tuesday. Most likely Monday.

Date: May 29, 2014 19:42

Will wait for some hints about the schedule

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 29, 2014 20:03

A few questions for first visit to Israel.

Language? I'm limited to English. Will I have problems?

Dress code? I'll be traveling solo from Philly, arriving Tuesday June 3rd. Staying at the Dan Tel Aviv Beach. Are their any dress concerns I should be aware of? I was hoping to wear shorts or jeans and t shirts most of the time. I'll be taking a solo private tour to Dead Sea and some holy sites on thursday so some dress tips for this excursion would be appreciated as well.

Cash? I'm hoping to use American Express whenever possible. Is this card widely accepted there? I have a MasterCard back up. Will there be a need for much Shequels or will using CC for most things be ok? Where do you recommend I get cash? In US before departure, or in Tel aViv airport or elsewhere?

I plan on bringing 1 voltage converter for my I-phone and iPad. I don't use any other powered devices so I assume this will be ok?

Traveling round trip from Dan Beach to concert? I have an old injury that makes very longs walks extremely difficult. I'm good up to a mile or so but that coupled with standing the entire show in the GC will make walking round trip to the venue out of the question. Any recommendations for travel arrangements? I inquired about a private car service (The same service I'm using for my airport trips and also my private tour to Dead Sea and holy sites) but they insist on 9 hr minimum for this (Over $500 usd) Also, is the Hayarkon Park the kind of place I should arrive several hours early to enjoy hanging with Stones fans partying etc? Anywehre to get beer there?

Also, strictly out of curiosity, what is Israel's stance on marijuana? Is it widely available or a serious crime? Just asking.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-29 20:06 by jazzbass.

Date: May 29, 2014 20:42

jazzbass

English here is widely spoken, sometimes a bit broken but no problem here.

jazzbass
Dress code? I'll be traveling solo from Philly, arriving Tuesday June 3rd. Staying at the Dan Tel Aviv Beach. Are their any dress concerns I should be aware of? I was hoping to wear shorts or jeans and t shirts most of the time. I'll be taking a solo private tour to Dead Sea and some holy sites on thursday so some dress tips for this excursion would be appreciated as well.

Dress code is less than formal, jeans/ shorts and tshirts are OK in everyplace, even in Jerusalem except for women in some restricted areas.

In holy places you might be required a jeans rather than shorts but I think that this only applies for Christian/ Muslim places. In Jewish places women are required long sleeves

jazzbass
Cash? I'm hoping to use American Express whenever possible. Is this card widely accepted there? I have a MasterCard back up. Will there be a need for much Shequels or will using CC for most things be ok? Where do you recommend I get cash? In US before departure, or in Tel aViv airport or elsewhere?
I have both American and Mastercard. Mastercard is welcome everywhere, American almost. Taxis usually do not accept CC.

I'm not familiar using foreign currency here, but in work days there are plenty of change places (keep in mind that Tuesday afternoon until end of Wednesday is holyday and then you will have to extract shekels from ATM or exchange at the hotel

jazzbass
I plan on bringing 1 voltage converter for my I-phone and iPad. I don't use any other powered devices so I assume this will be ok?
Keep in mind that here we use 220V and the plug is different
[en.wikipedia.org]

jazzbass
Traveling round trip from Dan Beach to concert? I have an old injury that makes very longs walks extremely difficult. I'm good up to a mile or so but that coupled with standing the entire show in the GC will make walking round trip to the venue out of the question. Any recommendations for travel arrangements? I inquired about a private car service (The same service I'm using for my airport trips and also my private tour to Dead Sea and holy sites) but they insist on 9 hr minimum for this (Over $500 usd) Also, is the Hayarkon Park the kind of place I should arrive several hours early to enjoy hanging with Stones fans partying etc? Anywehre to get beer there?
A taxi will be enough, should cost no more than 20 U$, probably less

jazzbass
Also, strictly out of curiosity, what is Israel's stance on marijuana? Is it widely available or a serious crime? Just asking.
Sorry, can't help here. Legally speaking is out of law. but never heard of someone caught just for smoking a joint. Usually in parties you will find some and I'm sure that also at the concert you might see or smell/

Date: May 29, 2014 20:51

Neurus
jazzbass

English here is widely spoken, sometimes a bit broken but no problem here.

jazzbass

Dress code is less than formal, jeans/ shorts and tshirts are OK in everyplace, even in Jerusalem except for women in some restricted areas.

In holy places you might be required a jeans rather than shorts but I think that this only applies for Christian/ Muslim places. In Jewish places women are required long sleeves

jazzbass
I have both American and Mastercard. Mastercard is welcome everywhere, American almost. Taxis usually do not accept CC.

I'm not familiar using foreign currency here, but in work days there are plenty of change places (keep in mind that Tuesday afternoon until end of Wednesday is holyday and then you will have to extract shekels from ATM or exchange at the hotel

jazzbass
Keep in mind that here we use 220V and the plug is different
[en.wikipedia.org]

jazzbass
A taxi will be enough, should cost no more than 20 U$, probably less

jazzbass
Sorry, can't help here. Legally speaking is out of law. but never heard of someone caught just for smoking a joint. Usually in parties you will find some and I'm sure that also at the concert you might see or smell/

Great info, thanks!

Date: May 29, 2014 21:09

Ah, sorry, I missed one part

Regarding gathering before, the venue is just a park, they will sell beers and soda inside but I think there's nothing outside. I will come with my daughters (the younger is just 9) probably early, but still don't even know where to park and probably there will be no parking close to the venue.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: May 30, 2014 04:44

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 30, 2014 05:43

jazzbass

I really doubt you will need a converter at all. If you have an i Phone and iPad,
you will only need an adapter plug.

Date: May 30, 2014 06:15

MKjan
jazzbass

I really doubt you will need a converter at all. If you have an i Phone and iPad,
you will only need an adapter plug.

I suppose that is what I meant, I have an adaptor plug. I know that a i Phone will work on 220v with the appropriate plug.

Date: May 30, 2014 13:36

jazzbass

Hi JB - you got great answers already. Just my few additions:

Pot type of drugs (esprcially in Tel Aviv) are of the same status as it was, lets say, about 10 years ago in the US - meanins that it is not legal but widely tolerated and regarded as a type of fellony that as part of an unofficial status quo was regarded as a "not of public interest" thus the police de facto just didn't bother to mess with that. Still - that is just "de facto". If you are a tourist (or lets say a local who is a candidate for some top secret government job) you might not be pleased by that as being in the wrong place can end up with deportation. Don't know about joints, but do know that tourists that were in the middle of police raids on brothels (that have about the same status as Marijuana) had their stay denied and asked to leave the country. This is true for many other countries too and I've just mentioned it as you mentioned "looking for pot" and not just smoking with people you know.

As for the gathering in the park - you would have some people doing that - I guess that a few 1000's untill about 4PM. Very nice place but put some mosquito rejecting spray/cream as its an open park with a small (rather filthy) river going through it and a pond + its mosquito season now. During the gig its not much of a problem since its some 20K mosquitos for some 40K humans... grinning smiley

There are 2-3 gas stations in the park perimeter and at least one has a large convenience store where you can buy drinks as well as alcohol. AFTER the gig it would be the Alcohol curfuw time so you wont be able to but some (only in bars).

There is a good restaurant some 600-700 yards from the gigs area (on the road being the northern perimeter of the park - Rokach Blv.) called "Rockack 73" - I see in their site they have tables available in that afternnon. Chefs restaurant.

On the other side of that park there is the Ayalon shopping mall and cinema compound. Concert goes go there first as its the larges parking area near the park and in 10-15 minutes walk you get to the park. There are plenty of fast food places there, some 15 cinema halls etc.

BTW - use taxis - not limovan services. In the traffic mess of the aftershow - a pre booked minivan might proof to be a bad way out. During weekends/hollidays (and it is a holliday) nearly all Taxis from anywhere within 100 KMs around Tel Aviv drive to the city for a day of work. There would be plenty I would say. Cheers.

BTW dress code - I know it could get awfully hot in the US east coast during the summer, but in Tel Aviv its nearly everyday like that betwwen June and late Sep. If you wear the type of shirts cyclers wear it wont be just "ok with the dress code" - its also sweat-wise.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-05-30 13:43 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: May 31, 2014 10:35

It seems that the outdoor-stage will now be built up:

[Twitter.com]

Date: May 31, 2014 13:29

Seen any tour posters or lithographs for the Tel-Aviv show yet ?

Date: May 31, 2014 22:30

paulywaul

Hi Paul - where did these poster's came from for the last gig's? I mean - what was the source for HQ pictures of the posters we got here? was it the local producers? I have'nt seen anything and the local producer is rather flooding all facebook/twitter/instagram channels with Stones stuff...

Date: June 1, 2014 10:01

Wroclaw
paulywaul

Hi Paul - where did these poster's came from for the last gig's? I mean - what was the source for HQ pictures of the posters we got here? was it the local producers? I have'nt seen anything and the local producer is rather flooding all facebook/twitter/instagram channels with Stones stuff...

I don't know, I'm not sure now that you ask. Never really thought about it. Good question though.

I'm assuming that they're producing such posters/lithographs for every show; based on the fact they've produced the ones we've already seen for Norway, Lisbon, and Zurich ....... I think that is a fair assumption. So keep an eye out for one or more for Israel

Posted by: copsnrobbers ()
Date: June 1, 2014 11:26

Date: June 1, 2014 13:38

copsnrobbers

God, couldn't they have used a more recent image for the tickets than one from the last tour 7 or more years ago ?

Date: June 1, 2014 14:08

paulywaul
copsnrobbers

God, couldn't they have used a more recent image for the tickets than one from the last tour 7 or more years ago ?

YEAH....Anyone using a RS picture with Keith in it should be aware that its expiry date would be in maximum of 6 month from the day it was taken, as Keith looks 10 years older any 6 month.

Date: June 1, 2014 14:18

Wroclaw
paulywaul
copsnrobbers

YEAH....Anyone using a RS picture with Keith in it should be aware that its expiry date would be in maximum of 6 month from the day it was taken, as Keith looks 10 years older any 6 month.

I don't know about that, I personally think he's looking better nowadays than he has done at various stages in the past.

But I do think it's remarkably lazy on behalf of the promoter to use an image from the last tour over half a decade ago, it could hardly have been the most difficult thing to have given just a tiny bit of thought to ticket design, rather than just merely recycle a worn out image long past its sell by date from a previous tour. it's a bit pathetic really.

Date: June 1, 2014 14:42

paulywaul
Wroclaw
paulywaul
copsnrobbers

I don't know about that, I personally think he's looking better nowadays than he has done at various stages in the past.

But I do think it's remarkably lazy on behalf of the promoter to use an image from the last tour over half a decade ago, it could hardly have been the most difficult thing to have given just a tiny bit of thought to ticket design, rather than just merely recycle a worn out image long past its sell by date from a previous tour. it's a bit pathetic really.

Yea but that extra effort is usually put by promoters who face demand - and in this case the promoter at no stage felt obligated on anything but the basic business approach towards customers. Their facebook page is LOADED with adds for this (and other concerts) - jamming all the feeds of people who subscribe to it. Yesterday I posted a picture some family members took last week in another concert at that park - showing how the Golden ring are was HUGE but with number of people that could have felt comfortable in half of the same area - asked him if it would be the same at the RS gig... my post was deleted...

Date: June 2, 2014 08:25

After a few nice days its Wednesday, of all days, that is expected to be the peak of a hwat wave...sad smiley

Posted by: jerusalemgypsy ()
Date: June 2, 2014 10:41

Do you think I could take my Fujicom camera. It's not an SLR but looks like one. I don't want them to take it away from me at the gate. You can't even bring water sometimes at the gate. they want you to buy inside :-(

Posted by: JS ()
Date: June 2, 2014 10:47

Whats up this is Jeff Seidel -- following the Stones 50 years -- living in the Old City of Jerusalem next to the Western Wall for anyone who needs anything -- jseidel@jeffseidel.com or 052-286-7795 -- and where is everyone going after the show to meet up with the band?

Posted by: jerusalemgypsy ()
Date: June 2, 2014 10:47

jazzbass

Like Many people said - dress is very casual. I'm from Jerusalem and you can wear sleeveless/shorts to most places but for all holy places, you should wear sleeves (up to elbow sleeves ok) and long pants.

As to marijuana - my daughter, who was 17 at the time, got 120 hours of community service for passing a joint to her friend at a party in the park. Not selling....but "distributing" as it said in her police record. when she turned 18, they tried her as an adult. It was horrible. Very primitive rules for light drugs here. So I don't risk it. I do occasionally sniff marijuana around me at a concert, but people do not openly smoke.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home