Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: March Madness
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 21, 2014 12:46

During the year I don't watch a lot of college basketball but the tournament is fun. Luckily, I get to work virtual today & can get fully into it. They blocked video feeds at work yesterday but I could get score updates. I did 7 brackets this year & took a new approach. Ignored the experts & just went by gut feeling. Got interested by the Warren Buffett contest. Anyway, I kicked some serious butt yesterday! Out of 16 games I got 14 right on 3 brackets, 13 on another 3 & on the ESPN contest (prize: new Acura) I got 15 right! Woo hoo! Should be fun today. BTW: I've got Arizona & North Carolina playing for the championship, with UNC winning it all. Anybody else into it?

Re: OT: March Madness
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 21, 2014 12:54

crholmstrom
During the year I don't watch a lot of college basketball but the tournament is fun. Luckily, I get to work virtual today & can get fully into it. They blocked video feeds at work yesterday but I could get score updates. I did 7 brackets this year & took a new approach. Ignored the experts & just went by gut feeling. Got interested by the Warren Buffett contest. Anyway, I kicked some serious butt yesterday! Out of 16 games I got 14 right on 3 brackets, 13 on another 3 & on the ESPN contest (prize: new Acura) I got 15 right! Woo hoo! Should be fun today. BTW: I've got Arizona & North Carolina playing for the championship, with UNC winning it all. Anybody else into it?
Nice work on the first day!! I am always into it this time year, but I wont even crack a smile until the sweet 16.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 13:09 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 21, 2014 14:36

same here Max.

cholmstrom- very interesting choice of national champ. picking the Heels to win makes me think you might be a Tar Heel?

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 21, 2014 15:21

In years past, my Mom would fly in for a visit & I would take off the Thursday & Friday of the first two rounds and we would do nothing other than watch the men's tournament on TV only taking time off when we would leave to go up to the Tennessee campus to watch the first two rounds of the women's tournament in person. We haven't done that in a few years but I used to love it. In some ways, better than the olympics. I enjoy all of the rounds (except the new 1st four... I can't stand having to call yesterday and today "Round 2"). Love the David v. Goliath scenarios.

Enjoy! I know my computer here at the office is going to have cbssports.com up for most of the afternoon!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: March 21, 2014 18:07

I lost 2 yesterday - Ohio State and Cincinnati were my 2nd rnd. picks. Some really great games with a couple going into overtime as well. I so much prefer college basketball over NBA any day. I went nuts doing brackets for different radio stations and such to try to win things, 26 in all. My true pick is Florida over Louisville in the final.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 21, 2014 23:57

I don't follow US College basketball but this year, there's more talk of March Madness here in Canada since Canadians Tyler Ennis on Syracuse and Andrew Wiggins on Kansas are both playing. I'll cheer for both of those teams!

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 22, 2014 00:26

????????????

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: March 22, 2014 00:57

Just win!!! I dont care how!!! YES!! WINNING UGLY is fine!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 00:58 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 22, 2014 10:04

duke richardson
same here Max.

cholmstrom- very interesting choice of national champ. picking the Heels to win makes me think you might be a Tar Heel?

No, I'm not a Tar Heel. For first time ever there was absolutely no logic involved in my picks. Went strictly by gut feeling. Working out pretty well so far. Day 2 wasn't quite as stellar but I'm still in pretty good shape overall. The only loss Friday that really messed me up was Duke. The rest don't have far reaching implications. I could still pull it out. I had Duke losing in Elite 8. D'oh! The tourney has been pretty wild so far & pretty fun. My final 4: Wichita State, Arizona, North Carolina & Kansas. That would make Max's pretty happy I think!smoking smiley

Date: March 22, 2014 12:09

crholmstrom
duke richardson
same here Max.

No, I'm not a Tar Heel. For first time ever there was absolutely no logic involved in my picks. Went strictly by gut feeling. Working out pretty well so far. Day 2 wasn't quite as stellar but I'm still in pretty good shape overall. The only loss Friday that really messed me up was Duke. The rest don't have far reaching implications. I could still pull it out. I had Duke losing in Elite 8. D'oh! The tourney has been pretty wild so far & pretty fun. My final 4: Wichita State, Arizona, North Carolina & Kansas. That would make Max's pretty happy I think!smoking smiley
You cant go wrong picking the Kansas Men's baskeball team, year in and year out. For the 25th-consecutive season, the NCAA selection committee invited Kansas to the Big Dance as the Jayhawks were awarded the No. 2 seed in the South Region of the 2014 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament after its 10th-straight Big 12 Championship season. [www.kuathletics.com]

This is the greatest tournament of any kind, They invite 60-80 of the best, and it is ALL decided by one game... win and move on to the next one game, lose and it is bye bye.

btw- I meant to remind you C, you do not have enough Super Bowl victory shirts yet, keep buying... and the lower the prices get, the more you should buy. The goal being in 20 years you can pull out a fresh, tags still on, never been worn VICTORY shirt wear to "that" special occasion... you need polos, T-shirts(both long and short sleeve) sweat shirts.. and as many varieties as possible and hopefully 3 each.... and do not you say you have enough, or in 5 years you will think (like people who only bought 1000 shares of a 5000%winning stock) "Dang it!!!, I should have bought more!!", especially when you discover your fav shirt has disappeared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 12:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 22, 2014 14:31

And dont make me tell you all again, there will be NO DUNKING BEFORE THE GAME or there will be hell to pay!! or at least a technical foul [www.sbnation.com]...

And no possessing or using tabacco either!!
Come on you heathens, were you raised by wolves? winking smiley

In other words...
ohhhhh, so thats what that was all aboot, crazy rulez.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-22 14:33 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: March 22, 2014 15:14

Is that chewing tobacco they are talking about? I could see how that could be a problem. Rule b takes away building the great pyramid defense in front of the basket.

Date: March 22, 2014 16:22

mighty stork
Is that chewing tobacco they are talking about? I could see how that could be a problem. Rule b takes away building the great pyramid defense in front of the basket.
Yeah, it was kind of sad when they took away the whole great pyramid strategy thing, basketball was never the same after that.

Date: March 22, 2014 16:31

Ya know, I have always had a deep deep deep dislike for fkg Duke, and we all like to see them lose early in the NCAA tourny, and of course I do my best to keep that dislike going, but darned if that Coach K makes it kind of hard sometimes... with all his U.S. Olympics team stuff and being such a damn good sport... dang it.

"Coach K just came into Mercer locker room:
"If we got beaten, at least we got beaten by a hell of a basketball team."

Date: March 22, 2014 17:03

Maybe he was looking for a new job or some free celebratory champagne.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 22, 2014 18:09

As a Mercer grad, I travelled to Macon yesterday to hang at the street party. Surprised and amazed that my beloved Bears defeated Duke.

Nice gesture by Coach K.

Tennessee sux, go Bears!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 22, 2014 18:38

mickijaggeroo
????????????

It's about the season ending tournament of US College basketball. People predict on brackets which teams they think will win and move to the next round.

Date: March 23, 2014 12:54

Max'sKansasCity
crholmstrom
duke richardson
same here Max.

You cant go wrong picking the Kansas Men's baskeball team, year in and year out. For the 25th-consecutive season, the NCAA selection committee invited Kansas to the Big Dance as the Jayhawks were awarded the No. 2 seed in the South Region of the 2014 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament after its 10th-straight Big 12 Championship season. [www.kuathletics.com]

This is the greatest tournament of any kind, They invite 60-80 of the best, and it is ALL decided by one game... win and move on to the next one game, lose and it is bye bye.

btw- I meant to remind you C, you do not have enough Super Bowl victory shirts yet, keep buying... and the lower the prices get, the more you should buy. The goal being in 20 years you can pull out a fresh, tags still on, never been worn VICTORY shirt wear to "that" special occasion... you need polos, T-shirts(both long and short sleeve) sweat shirts.. and as many varieties as possible and hopefully 3 each.... and do not you say you have enough, or in 5 years you will think (like people who only bought 1000 shares of a 5000%winning stock) "Dang it!!!, I should have bought more!!", especially when you discover your fav shirt has disappeared.

I have already taken your advice to heart Max's. Haha. The overrun sales have already started. I'm already up to 2 short sleeve tshirt, 2 long sleeve, a sweatshirt, a nice jacket & a hat. + the NFL films dvd. & some new Nikes that are pretty much Seahawk colors. & have taken care of goddaughter & special lady friend. I'm off to Vegas on 4/11 to collect my winnings on the game. Will be hitting town $800 up. Could be dangerous! I'm staying a little farther up the food chain this trip. Last trip, after quite a few years of staying & gambling at their hotels, the Caesar's group really angered me. I will never stay @ Bally's again for sure & I'm not so sure about their other hotels. I'm switching to MGM group. I got a good deal @ Bellagio. The difference in customer service is already apparent. Have received a few emails from them wanting to make sure that my needs are being addressed right. That is a 5 star! Looking forward to the trip. After long cold winter, 4 days of lounging by pool in 80 degree weather is sounding real good. I hope we get Seattle/KC Super Bowl next year. Of course, we will differ on who we want to win but think they would put up better fight than the Donkeys!grinning smiley

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 23, 2014 15:02

Holymoly, I predicted Dayton to beat Syracuse on my bracket smoking smiley

Date: March 23, 2014 15:08

crholmstrom
Max'sKansasCity

I have already taken your advice to heart Max's. Haha. The overrun sales have already started. I'm already up to 2 short sleeve tshirt, 2 long sleeve, a sweatshirt, a nice jacket & a hat. + the NFL films dvd. & some new Nikes that are pretty much Seahawk colors. & have taken care of goddaughter & special lady friend. I'm off to Vegas on 4/11 to collect my winnings on the game. Will be hitting town $800 up. Could be dangerous! I'm staying a little farther up the food chain this trip. Last trip, after quite a few years of staying & gambling at their hotels, the Caesar's group really angered me. I will never stay @ Bally's again for sure & I'm not so sure about their other hotels. I'm switching to MGM group. I got a good deal @ Bellagio. The difference in customer service is already apparent. Have received a few emails from them wanting to make sure that my needs are being addressed right. That is a 5 star! Looking forward to the trip. After long cold winter, 4 days of lounging by pool in 80 degree weather is sounding real good. I hope we get Seattle/KC Super Bowl next year. Of course, we will differ on who we want to win but think they would put up better fight than the Donkeys!grinning smiley

BUY MORE!! smiling smiley You can not have too many!!
Get it while the getting is good... and all that good stuff.grinning smiley

That sounds like a GREAT plan you have for Vegas. Thats sad to hear about Caesar's, they used to be top notch, I loved staying there ( they used to have the best vodka and grapefruit drink on the strip ).

I guess all the conglomeration has watered it down... thats too bad.

anyway, it sounds like you are going to have a blast spending the house's money. HAVE FUN!!! and good luck on the rest of your tourny picks.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:41

Elmo Lewis
As a Mercer grad, I travelled to Macon yesterday to hang at the street party. Surprised and amazed that my beloved Bears defeated Duke.

Nice gesture by Coach K.

Tennessee sux, go Bears!
Cool Elmo!
everybody likes to see a Mercer beat NCAA royalty teams like Duke..except Duke grads I reckon..busted a lot of brackets- like Dayton has done!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:55

The slate is great today-

Kansas, WSU, UNC, Mercer (although Tenn is hot), SFA, Baylor, UVA, & Gonzaga are my picks for today.

Great thing -I'm on the West coast per contract and games start soon!

Greatest sporting event!!!

smileys with beer

12:15 PM (10) Stanford vs (2) Kansas* CBS

2:45 PM (8) Kentucky vs (1) Wichita State* CBS

5:15 PM (6) North Carolina vs (3) Iowa State* CBS

6:10 PM (14) Mercer vs (11) Tennessee* Turner Network Television

7:10 PM (12) Stephen F. Austin vs (4) UCLA* TBS

7:40 PM (6) Baylor vs (3) Creighton* truTV

8:40 PM (8) Memphis vs (1) Virginia* Turner Network Television

9:40 PM (8) Gonzaga vs (1) Arizona* TBS

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 23, 2014 16:59

It's already at sweet 16, winners and losers happening fast.

It's tough to predict when smaller colleges like Dayton knock off big time teams like Ohio State and Syracuse...but then again you tend to route for little guys.

On the other that Arizona vs. Gonzaga game today should be interesting (it's the southwest teams I actually route for no matter what).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-23 17:02 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 23, 2014 17:11

nightskyman
It's already at sweet 16, winners and losers happening fast.

It's tough to predict when smaller colleges like Dayton knock off big time teams like Ohio State and Syracuse...but then again you tend to route for little guys.

On the other that Arizona vs. Gonzaga game today should be interesting (it's the southwest teams I actually route for no matter what).

Virginia is scary good-

Date: March 23, 2014 21:34

Koen
Holymoly, I predicted Dayton to beat Syracuse on my bracket smoking smiley

I didn't have them winning in any of my brackets but if they win the title I win a huge prize from a local sports radio station. Last Sunday a group of listeners met at a local bar and they drew for teams. First pick I got was Dayton and I didn't think I had a chance, now I'm going to cheer for them all the way. My other team is Virginia so I still have 2 chances this far in which is nice.

Date: March 24, 2014 13:00

The weekend was a slow descent into darkness on my brackets. Haha. At least I don't have actual cash on it!smoking smiley

Date: March 24, 2014 13:53

crholmstrom
The weekend was a slow descent into darkness on my brackets.

yeah, I am in the same boat this year, I had a great first round, THEN BOOM!!... oh well, its almost baseball season and someday warm sunny, non-snowy weather will happen... some day, but probably not today sad smiley

Date: March 24, 2014 17:19

I think those that don't follow basketball are doing better considering all the upsets. I do have all my final 4 teams left so that might help a tiny bit. I stayed away from putting down cash as well and just entered sites where you could win something so it doesn't hurt too bad.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 24, 2014 22:29

Elmo Lewis

Nice gesture by Coach K.

Tennessee sux, go Bears!

Frist -> Hope you all had fun at the street party! Congratulations on beating Duke!

Second (and I'm mainly just giving you a hard time because I can grinning smiley) ->
Any revisions to add to your review of Tennessee? Most Knoxvillians (I'm currently about 6 miles from the campus) are actually sitting here in amazement today. I'd have to say a week ago not too many people around here thought that we'd be in the Sweet 16.

Two thumbs up to Coach K. Very classy. Also thought that Coach Williams (UNC) showed a lot of class when the officials told him that his game was over (and UNC had lost) due to the clock not starting when it should have. I was watching it live and Coach W. didn't look like he even flinched, just instantly congratulated the other coach. Not sure if he made any comments after the game that would make me re-think my view, but, watching it live, I was very impressed with his control.

Now I'll just say GO UT!! Men on Friday v. Michigan and Women tonight v. St. John's (that's the one I REALLY care about!)

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: March 26, 2014 11:21

At this point (and it is kind of pointless)
UCLA, BAYLOR, IOWA STATE AND LOUISVILLE...
with UCLA winning it all, maybe, but who knows?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1933
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home