Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

My Stones Story (I'm going to Berlin)
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:43

This thread will probably be merged or deleted, but I really don't care.

I don't post here too often, but those that have seen any of my comments will know that I never shut up about Hyde Park #1, as (shock and horror!) it is the only Stones show I've seen.

I like reading people's stories on here about how they first became a Stones fan - seeing them on TV in the 60's, hearing them on the radio etc. I'm only 18, so what really got me into the Stones and made me seriously notice them was Scorcese's Shine a Light (eye popping smiley I know right?). I went out and bought Exile, Some Girls, Tattoo You & Aftermath. I have no idea why I selected those specific albums, I think I just picked up a handful in HMV.

Obviously Shine a Light was released in 2008, just after the Bigger Bang tour had finished, and there's me having just seen this film thinking "Wow, I have got to see the Stones live". I spent the next 4 years constantly scouring Google news, looking for signs of another tour. I was 14 years old when I started 'saving money' to hopefully one day see the Stones. In 4 years, I managed to save roughly £300. It sounds ridiculous, but I was a kid grinning smiley

So the day finally comes when the 50th anniversary shows are announced, and I'm gutted to see tickets are approx £600. I really was devastated, at the time I thought that was IT. There would be no more shows. I thought "Hey, at least I can watch the PPV". So I did, and I remember a moment at the very end of YCAGWYW, where Bernard and Lisa were watching Mick finish up the song; and they looked heartbroken. I was certain that was the last show, and I'd never get to see them.

A few months later, Hyde Park is announced. I was expecting more ridiculous prices, but lo and behold, £95. I couldn't believe it when I scored a ticket eye popping smiley and remember spending that entire evening watching Ladies & Gentlemen '72, Some Girls Texas '78 back to back, grinning with joy. I bought a ticket for myself and a friend, booked train tickets and a hotel and off we went on July 6th.

We queued from 7am to get as close as possible, ending up a few rows behind FOS Ronnie side. We really couldn't have asked for a better way to see The Rolling Stones; a hot summer day in the middle of Hyde Park, watching Mick, Keith, Ronnie & Charlie merely feet away from us:

It was really was the best day of my life, but it was also quite sad; I knew I would never get as much enjoyment out of a show as I did that day. I framed my shirt and ticket, something I will treasure for the rest of my life:

I was satisfied that I got to see The Rolling Stones in the flesh, live and literally right in front of me. I was 100% certain that I'd never get the chance to see the band again, and was quite content with that.

Yet here I am, with another two tickets to see The Rolling Stones (in Berlin, oh wow! >grinning smiley<)

Having kept some money saved from a part time job, I've managed to jet myself off to see the greatest band of all time (AGAIN!) having convinced myself that it would never happen.

I honestly don't know why I made this post, I guess I count myself very privileged. I know there are others who have been waiting FAAAAAAAARRRRRR longer than I have to see the band. I see a lot of posters who sport things like"49 shows and counting" under their belt, and others who list all of these beautiful cities around the world in which they've had the experience of seeing the Stones play. I don't think you realise how lucky you are to be able to say that. What is just another show for you, is the greatest dream imaginable coming true for me.

Thanks for listening.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 23:07 by bv.

Re: My Stones Story (I'm going to Berlin!spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling smileysmiling bouncing smiley)
Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:50

You going to the Dusseldorf show?

Re: My Stones Story I'm going to Berlin!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:53

Nice story!
18? Huh I feel old! >grinning smiley<

Imho It's ppl like you the Arte TV channel crew should interview not the fans in their 70's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-20 15:54 by dcba.

Re: My Stones Story (I'm going to Berlin!spinning smiley sticking its tongue outsmiling smileysmiling bouncing smiley)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:56

What a nice joyful thread!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:01

Very nice reading! And...see you in Berlin! :-)

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:03

Bastion,

I had all of those same feelings when, aged 23, I saw them at Wembley on the 2nd last night of the Urban Jungle Tour in August 1990. I told myself to savour every second as I 'knew' it was their last tour and I wanted it to be special. cool smiley
My ticeket was £23 and I've still got it.

Thankfully I was wrong. I've now seen them 18 timessmileys with beer

I was both Hyde Park shows and waited up overnight outside the Park before 6th July. I got close up Ronnie's side but not as good as you. You might have even met me! I wore the same T-shirt I wore to the 1990 show - the one with the Love You Live album cover on the front and the Urban Junge Monster and 'Europe 1990' on the back. By 7am there were still only about 20 people there.

Welcome to Stones Fan-hood....

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:04

Enjoy! As well as the Stones, Berlin is a fantastic city to spend some time in. Try and stay long enough to explore a little.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:06

That's a lovely story, Bastion - and I'm really pleased for you that you got tickets for Berlin! smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:08

Bastion, I'm so glad that all your saving and hoping paid off and you got to Hyde Park. It's lovely to read that the band are still picking up new fans. I really hope that you get a fantastic show in Berlin, and a few more after that!

With me it started, very late, in 2006, with the Bigger Bang tour coming to Twickenham (right on my doorstep) and an unexpected £200 bonus at work. Something clicked and I thought "why don't I go and see them live like other people do?" So I did, and the rest is history.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:09

Lady Jayne
Enjoy! As well as the Stones, Berlin is a fantastic city to spend some time in. Try and stay long enough to explore a little.

I would echo that. I saw the Licks gig there in 2003 at the Olympic Stadium. My 1st visit to a terrific city.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:14

Great post, Bastion - "Bastion, the Kid!"smileys with beer

But why do you think, this nice post will be merged or deleted?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:19

awesome story . you have good taste .i like your photos !!!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:38

Bastion, what a beautiful story!! I wish I could go to Berlin to experience that show in your presence.
It should be great.

A few of us here were lucky enough to be in the house for Shine a Light. I wasn't close up
enough to be captured on tape...still a thrill. I was also in the house, in the fourth row up on the side
near the stage for the PPV you saw. I feel lucky to have been there both times.

On the age thing, I discovered the band in its early days, when I was a teen like you.
But then I didn't see them live until many years later, for a number of reasons. At least you
only had to wait a few years to achieve your dream! They are playing so very, very well
of late, and you had such an excellent spot in Hyde Park.

Thanks for sharing with us. Rock on!!! cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:54

Bastion, that's a wonderful story and you told it very well.

You are so lucky to get to see the Stones again. Have a wonderful time in Berlin...kiss a few girls while you're there, but do behave yourself, young man. grinning smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 20, 2014 19:50

It's always a pleasure when we read fan stories about their Stones experiences, old or new. You have a nice one, Bastion. smileys with beer

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 20, 2014 23:22

Congratulations, Bastion--I hope you'll have a fantastic time in Berlin! smiling smiley And thanks for those great HP pics--I was there too, but on the other side of the catwalk.

Re: My Stones Story (I'm going to Berlin
Posted by: stereomanic ()
Date: March 25, 2014 14:06

Awesome story!!!

I too started a bit late getting into the stones, and paid a whopping £1200 for 2 tickets to the o2 to see them up close in case it was the very last time!

Since then I have seen them at Hyde Park and now book to see them in Circus Maximus in Rome (what a way to round things off?!?!).

So even if I don't get to see them again, these 3 shows will be immortalised in me - and there's no other band out there like the Rolling Stones that even come close.

Although I would love them to do a couple more dates in the UK before they pack up this tour.....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2014 16:12

That was a nice story, Bastion!

I waited my first show around 14 years, from 1981 to 1995. I was too young in 1982 to spot them during European Tour (they weren't performing in my country), and then I lost 1989/90 tour thanks to my military service... But finally in Helsinki '95 my dream came true - 14 years of fanhood invested in that concert experience... I recall being nervous if they would not meet my high expectations, but they simply blew me away.. I guess I was 27 at the time - damn young thinking now, even though it still feels like it happened yeasterday, and I'm bloody middle-aged man now!grinning smiley

There is also one feature in your story that is is good reminder for us 'aged' fans. Not that they don't perform too often, but when they do, the pricing has ruled out many eager young fans, who are on their own or whose mom or dad's wallet isn't big enough. That's why I think it is great that they do shows like Hyde Park - ticket prices are reasonable and if you are eager enough (to go early and run), you will get a decent or even great - as you - spot to dig the band. If we look at the up-coming European tour, seemingly Jagger & co have forgetten a Barbra Streisend style they did in America, and make the band more easier to be reached by a wider audience.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 16:15 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 25, 2014 16:18

Doxa

There is also one feature in your story that is is good reminder for us 'aged' fans. Not that they don't perform too often, but when they do, the pricing has ruled out many eager young fans, who are on their own or whose mom or dad's wallet isn't big enough. That's why I think it is great that they do shows like Hyde Park - ticket prices are reasonable and if you are eager enough (to go early and run), you will get a decent or even great - as you - spot to dig the band. If we look at the up-coming European tour, seemingly Jagger & co have forgetten a Barbra Streisend style they did in America, and make the band more easier to be reached by a wider audience.

- Doxa

Hahaha! Aged fan when you were born in 1968 grinning smiley. You belong to the 'too late' generation, that got to see the Stones when it already was over for quite some time. Those first ten years were the true Stones era. After that not so much. Disadvantage of being a real aged fan is being so damned old. grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 25, 2014 16:38

Kleerie, that's how it goes - to think that Bastion was not even born when I first see them - already decades later of their real heyday, and me even then recognizing that... Actually already 1981 it was obvious that the days of real relevance were gone, even though they back then had a great presence being some sort of elder statemen of rock, and still wild and dangerous.

But you know, I have this historian type of mind so I don't really care... I wasn't around when Robert Johnson made those incredible recordings and travelled the country.. But I still dig the man, his music and times... I guess I am a typical 80's rock fan - wasting one's formative years there - but you know, that was a good time to start study history of music, since the music of the day sucked... You 60's and 70's rock fans more or less digged the trends of the day with no need to look back - and for a good reason!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 16:39 by Doxa.

Posted by: rubyT ()
Date: March 25, 2014 16:42

love your post Bastion, see you in Berlin!

Posted by: folon ()
Date: March 25, 2014 17:02

The Waldbühne in Berlin is a very very special place, you'll love it (I've seen U2 in 2001 there).

I'll never forget Cirkus Stockholm in 2003 (although it was not my first Stones show :-))

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 25, 2014 17:04

Nice Read Bastion, enjoy the Stones to the maximum while you can !!!!!!!!!!!

Hope i am able to score a ticket for Stockholm.....

Jeroen

Re: My Stones Story (I'm going to Berlin)
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: March 26, 2014 22:41

With all this talk of offensive posts and banned users, I'd like to bump this topic in the name of positivity, thank you for the kind words people! smileys with beer

This site excels at bringing together fans from all over the world, of all ages, sex, race, nationality etc.

Thank you.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 27, 2014 00:02

smileys with beer

Posted by: rollingmike ()
Date: March 27, 2014 00:24

For me, last year was also the first time I saw the greatest rock and roll band ever (and I'm 25 now). Got two ticket for Hyde Park #2 and couldn't believe it finally happens. First tones of Keith's guitar was like an earthquake for me and my girlfriend, it moved us to tears and since that moment we knew we're completely different people. Dream came true and London was more fantastic than we could expect.

And now I also got 2 tix for Berlin and my journey goes on. I really wish the Stones were immortal. And I also wish I was born in middle 60s.

See you there Bastion!smiling smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 27, 2014 01:23

Thanks for the story and smileys with beer cheers

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 27, 2014 01:26

Bastion
I don't post here too often

283 posts in 8 months isn't bad smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 07:41

Nice and touching story, Bastian!

I am much older than you, but what really got me into the Stones and made me really notice them and their fantastic music was also Shine a Light. I saw it on TV three years ago, and since then I bought their music and lots of their concerts on DVD.
If everything goes fine, my dream to see them once live will also become true.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1843
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home