Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Tasteless Discussions and Comments
Posted by: TRS ()
Date: March 20, 2014 02:20

Huh?

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 02:58

Doxa
Huh, this place is getting out of hand big time. But it is also true that the issue we are dealing with now is something more seriousĀ“and tragical we have ever seen in the history of IORR. It is not any longer that of arguing over if VOODOO LOUNGE is a great album or not, or if the Stones are any good since Taylor left them, etc. The realm of aesthetical judgments had shifted to the realm of morality, and the opinions just getting stronger and stronger. The notion of what is appropriate to say or not has find its place in the category of old favourites, such as 'complaining', directed to dictate the course of conversation. The other term to describe what is going on is that of 'moralism': people are using their own moral standards and common sense in judging others and their opinions or habits of expressing themselves. Someone is even suggesting the moderator to shut the place for some time - an ultimate moralistic demand.

Those who think that they are in a position to say what is the right procedure to do, and thereby dictate the doings of the others, are not really seeing the situation in its complexity, or are just blind to the diversity of human mind in coping in situations like this. The moderator of this site has a duty to do that, but - let's be adults - it is a task impossible. The result is a desperate series of arbitrary choices, banning people here and there, editing posts, removing and replacing threads... All too much for one human being, no matter how much he tries and has a good intent. The army of wanna-be moderators won't do the task any easier, since those damn intuitions of ours vary from one person to other.

Unfortunately the recent tragedy just brings the worst of the tendencies that have been lurking lately to upfront. One does not need to be any fortune teller to see into where this all will lead - like the moderator have hinted occasionally. I have always thought that that day will come when there is no Stones tour activities any longer in future to be seen (most likely by the end of this year) but it could be that the day is much nearer.

This post was not directed to the author of this thread, but just a general observation and remark from one IORR contributor eho has not been too happy in wittnessing the recent developments here.

- Doxa

Well stated. What's always amazed about IORR is how active it is, even when it seems like it's dead, compared to other band's forum sites. I visit a fan club page for another venerable, yet decade or so younger, mega-rock band and it's like a ghost town. The Stones have remained relevant, not only relevant but also retained a passionate fanbase, one passionate enough to at this very moment feature 275 guests in addition to about two dozen registered users. It would be a shame to close down what is a very vital communnity, that despite its differences and dramas, that cares a great deal about the Rolling Stones. IORR proves that the band is still relevant in 2014. As I've noticed on this other band's fanclub page we shouldn't take that for granted-moderater included. Much like the band itself, IORR is more than the sum of its parts. It really is its own kind of entity in a way.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: March 20, 2014 06:26

Rokyfan
mighty stork
I agree that none of us here have any right to express our opinions about something that we are not close to and don't really know.

What do you mean by "here"? Where I live, we have the right to have and express opinions. Maybe you live in the Crimea or someplace where you are told what opinions you may legitimately hold and express.

Pretty clear that I was talking about those that use this site when I used the word here.

Date: March 20, 2014 08:21

EDIT: I give up. Pollute this board with gossip and speculations from rags - as much as you like. I'm outta here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 14:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 20, 2014 08:54

Or stop drinking... (most likely he is passed out now)>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: March 20, 2014 09:00

Rokyfan

Stop telling other people what to do.

Mick lives his life in the public. What has been published elsewhere . . . all the reports of the split, etc. etc. no need for me to repeat them here, are a matter of record. How many of the posters here are PR agents hired by the Stones? I understand those people saying everyone else should keep quiet and let their spin control all the discussion --- I can't understand a fan taking that position.

Me neither. And a forum is not a monologue or a cult where you're supposed to bully someone until she or he responds the wrong way and then have that someone banned.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 20, 2014 09:24

By posting here on a regular basis and expressing views in different matters you will, I guess, develop foes. One is enough really.
If that guy then constantly reports your every post you will become a problem for BV. Just a thought...

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: March 20, 2014 09:34

There's two ways to stifle unwanted discussion on this forum and one happens quite a lot.

One is to report the offending post, but since that isn't going to work except for flagrant rule breaking, the preferred method seems to be get at least two parties to work overtime on a thread they don't care for by swarming it with off topic personal asides and one liners accompanied by numerous tinkling of the glasses toast emoticons... smileys with beer smileys with beer

The quickest way to improve this forum, in my opinion, would be start restricting "low quality" posts, which is too often exactly what those passive aggressive outbursts are

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: March 20, 2014 09:46

Another idea would be to close off people who misuses the report button. Personally, I have never pressed that button. When I do it will be for a very good reason - not trifles...

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 20, 2014 11:34

I have reported one post (for racism) in seven years. The post was removed, but the poster was not - which was a result I was satisfied with. I am glad that this site is moderated, and that button does need to be there, but it should be a last resort - maybe we should have a yearly allowance of them? Someone in a thread now deleted compared iorr to a school playground, and I think a lot of us don't like telling tales to Teacher, even when someone's behaviour is out of order. But bv must know who the touchy and easily-offended people are.

By the way, on a touch-screen the position of the Report button makes it much too easy to hit it by mistake when scrolling. Oh, the number of random harmless posts I could have reported by accident if I wasn't careful...

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: March 20, 2014 12:15

Do we write here on the assumption that we are being monitored by the Stones Corporation? If we feel stifled in honest comment and discussion then what?

Date: March 20, 2014 13:34

EDIT: I give up. Pollute this board with gossip and speculations from rags - as much as you like. I'm outta here...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 14:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:01

SweetThing
There's two ways to stifle unwanted discussion on this forum and one happens quite a lot.

One is to report the offending post, but since that isn't going to work except for flagrant rule breaking, the preferred method seems to be get at least two parties to work overtime on a thread they don't care for by swarming it with off topic personal asides and one liners accompanied by numerous tinkling of the glasses toast emoticons... smileys with beer smileys with beer

The quickest way to improve this forum, in my opinion, would be start restricting "low quality" posts, which is too often exactly what those passive aggressive outbursts are

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Love it! smileys with beer

PS, how do you get the glasses sync'd so accurately to click at exactly the same time?

Posted by: BlackHat ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:30

DandelionPowderman
TRS
Shut up you whiny vaginas!!!its a forum ...BV u should be ashamed of all the needless censorship and Banning long time contributiorS lame lamevlame lame lame lame!

Keith would be ashamed ... BV must have tiny dodger syndrome

You're a guest at someone else's forum. Behave like one smiling smiley

Oh FFS it's a forum. We're not in his living room. Drinks and nibbles have not been passed around. BV is not some sort of diety.

Date: March 20, 2014 15:45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-21 14:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 20, 2014 15:46

Green Lady
Oh, the number of random harmless posts I could have reported by accident if I wasn't careful...

Haha, luckily you are. smiling smiley
But a forum on which adults do post, such an 'offense' button isn't needed, even if a post is considered racist or sexist or whatever. Because in that case the poster disqualifies him/herself.

Btw: I never have understood and still don't understand that people can feel hurt, offended or insulted by a post or a poster on a forum, however stupid the post(er) in question may be. I think one should have a look in the mirror if one feels offended here. What does that say about yourself?

Date: March 20, 2014 16:05

kleermaker
Green Lady
Oh, the number of random harmless posts I could have reported by accident if I wasn't careful...

Haha, luckily you are. smiling smiley
But a forum on which adults do post, such an 'offense' button isn't needed, even if a post is considered racist or sexist or whatever. Because in that case the poster disqualifies him/herself.

Btw: I never have understood and still don't understand that people can feel hurt, offended or insulted by a post or a poster on a forum, however stupid the post(er) in question may be. I think one should have a look in the mirror if one feels offended here. What does that say about yourself?

You're right kleerie people shouldn't, but that doesn't mean that they don't. And what does that say about some people, perhaps that they are sensitive? That doesn't make them bad though, right?

If BV wants a (relatively) clean forum, that's his prerogative.

Date: March 20, 2014 16:07

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:12

The people who report posts are generally too sensitive.
Really...if you take offence at people's posts then you shouldn't be on a board like this.
Unless its directed at you in a threatening manner then just ignore it...you dont need to report it.
Too many "goodie two shoes" on this site.

Date: March 20, 2014 16:15

Eleanor Rigby
Really...if you take offence at people's posts then you shouldn't be on a board like this.
Unless its directed at you in a threatening manner then just ignore it...you dont need to report it.

Point by point....

TRUE
PROBABLY TRUE
TRUE
No way to know...could be just a few that report incessantly.

Date: March 20, 2014 16:19

treaclefingers
Eleanor Rigby

Point by point....

TRUE
PROBABLY TRUE
TRUE
No way to know...could be just a few that report incessantly.

Yep..definately true on last point.
Even BV would be starting to get pissed off with their continual sooky-la-la reporting..

Date: March 20, 2014 16:20

Date: March 20, 2014 16:29

DandelionPowderman
A board like this isn't supposed to be discussing whether the frontman in our favourite band is responsible for his girlfriend's death, Mr(s) Rigby?

So, when people ignore the rules - or even say they don't give a fvck - the rules which are contributing to this board being the best imo, some might take offense by it (without reporting anyone)

The rules change every week depending on the circumstances.
The last few weeks have been a joke..

Date: March 20, 2014 16:29

DandelionPowderman
kleerie, of course, is made of steel. He never even raises an eyebrow when a poster criticises Taylor winking smiley

kleerie is certainly made of steel.

But whilst not always sharp, or stainless, or even magnetic, he's a man of true metal.

Not saying he's robotic, or that his posts are robotic though.

Date: March 20, 2014 16:32

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:48

71Tele
I think erring on the side of free speech is always best. Those who make insensitive or foolish comments will be shown for who they are. Better this than censorship or self-censorship, which in my opinion is too prevelant here. Let people express themselves and discuss and debate, and let the chips fall where they may.
Free speech on IORR? Now that's funny.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 20, 2014 16:51

sweetcharmedlife
71Tele
I think erring on the side of free speech is always best. Those who make insensitive or foolish comments will be shown for who they are. Better this than censorship or self-censorship, which in my opinion is too prevelant here. Let people express themselves and discuss and debate, and let the chips fall where they may.

here here there'll be none of that...

Date: March 20, 2014 16:54

Munichhilton
sweetcharmedlife
71Tele

here here there'll be none of that...

Haha.. +1

Date: March 20, 2014 17:02

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
kleerie, of course, is made of steel. He never even raises an eyebrow when a poster criticises Taylor winking smiley

But whilst not always sharp, or stainless, or even magnetic, he's a man of true metal.

Underneath that armor, it's kleer there is a heart somewhere.

nanosurgeons are at work at this very moment endeavouring to locate it.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 20, 2014 17:10

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Underneath that armor, it's kleer there is a heart somewhere.

nanosurgeons are at work at this very moment endeavouring to locate it.

I can assure you there's somewhere a heart beating. A heart of stone of course.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home