Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: Elvis Presley vs Mick Jagger
Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 20, 2017 00:54

Today we mock Elvis' movies, but remember that when Jagger did Ned Kelley and Performance, the model he was following was Elvis, and before that Sinatra and Bing Crosby.
Music, then segue into movies.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 20, 2017 01:15

I think the further we get away from Elvis OD'ing on the toilet...,
History will record (as most have already) Mick Jagger as the greatest of all time (GOAT). "King" won't be recycled though..either for rock n roll or
pop (Michael Jackson). But make no mistake, Jagger is.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: March 20, 2017 01:43

Elvis will always be King. As great as Mick is, and it's pretty super, he was looking in his boyhood mirror holding a brush to his mouth and pretending to be Elvis Presley. He never missed one trick, one eyeshadow pose; the entire vast catalog; nor one hip shake, or one silly hyper-exaggerated stripper strut move while cracking himself up, laughing his ass off in front of a roaring crowd, with a 2x4 for a P.A. system and he's not even twenty...

it's a different thing. i was there in '72 for the Stones, one of the times in the same place where Elvis sold out the thing the same summer...like the stones now and very few others, especially for extended years on end, could decide to have a gig anywhere in the world at any time and sell it out immediately. etcetera. i appreciate the Jag love and have to share it; of all the 2nd generation guys he's the been the most captivating and exciting to share a room with for sure...and i never did see the big E...and i guess it will be debated endlessly and everyone, of course, will be right in their own experiences and minds....but Elvis Aaron Presley was and forever will be The King of Rock and Roll. It existed before him, it has existed after 1977 to some extent...no matter what happens or does not with this little arcane rapidly disappearing phenom, Elvis is the King of Rock and Roll. Haa, it's like heavier than a religion. It IS a religion haha...in conemporary terms. Velvet Elvis. Elvis Elvis...how many songs just about Elvis...I saw a guy called El Vez the mexican elvis and he was GREAT...he did Dear Mr. Fantasy; it blew everyone away....haha Elvis is the King of Rock and Roll forever...Elvis we love you...tcb baby...what a trainwreck what a horrorshow what unbelievable mess of gore and glory and the most excellent Ann Margaret dance numbers. You got it all. Elvis is everywhere....
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Chester ()
Date: March 20, 2017 02:06

I am 50 years old and not many people my age are fortunate enough to say they have seen both Elvis and the Stones live. I saw Elvis a few months before he died (it still counts and he was actually pretty good; I've heard the soundboard).

I have many thoughts on Elvis vs. Mick, but I will just add this:

The '68 Comeback Special was the high-water mark for Rock and Roll as far as I'm concerned.

No one's voice ever sounded better than Elvis's did for those performances (the roughness only added to the sheer awesomeness).

No one has ever exuded more sex appeal than Elvis did for those performances (Mick included).

And no one, not one male or female at any point in human history, has ever looked better than Elvis did for those performances.

If you really watch it even Elvis looks shocked at the music that is coming out of him.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: March 20, 2017 02:11

Elvis without a doubt. I love Jagger, but Elvis is something else. Almost like something from another world.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 20, 2017 02:32

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 02:42 by bleedingman.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 20, 2017 02:44

Elvis wins this one by a landslide.
Mick has his small niche of devotees, but Elvis is nearly universal and will always be larger than life itself.
In the big picture, Mick might be remembered as a singer of a British Rock band, while Elvis will always be remembered as 'The King' and will never be forgotten.

Date: March 20, 2017 02:56

Pretty hard to top this.

(Although he actually did in the second take; it's just no longer available on youtube).

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: mitch ()
Date: March 20, 2017 03:07

Elvis, without hesitation.

Just compare "That's The Way It Is" to any any other stones concert: Elvis needs only to move a shoulder to get the audience at his feet, while Jagger need to over-gesticulate to only hope to get the same reaction.

[www.youtube.com]

There is only one King.

Date: March 20, 2017 03:12

Chester
Pretty hard to top this.

(Although he actually did in the second take; it's just no longer available on youtube).

[www.youtube.com]

thank you. and in that fine spirit if i may be so bold to share from same sessions:
(we rarely get the chance to see his rhythm guitar in the mix) ty for that clip!!
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 20, 2017 03:19

virgil
I always found it quite odd that these two Icons never met.

Also odd: Besides a few dates in Canada in the fifties , Elvis never played outside of the United States.

?

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: March 20, 2017 04:57

According to Charlie Watts...
the 4 greatest singer/entertainers are Mick Jagger,
Elvis Presley, James Brown and Michael Jackson.

Pick any one of them and you could probably
have a case as to why each of them are #1.

Pecman

Date: March 20, 2017 08:51

[www.youtube.com]
Mick jagger and Keith Richards imitating Elvis Presley "Are You Lonesome Tonight
smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 08:54 by hopkins.

Posted by: stone4ever ()
Date: March 20, 2017 11:59

Although many of us on here including myself think Mick is better or greater or more talented for his writing ability and showmanship, it has to be said Elvis goes down in history as the biggest ever worldwide star. Frank Sinatra comes second. Mick when all is done and dusted will be remembered on the level of Rod Stewart, Freddie Mercury, John lennon and Paul McCartney.

Obviously the Stones and the Beatles will go down as the biggest best bands in the world, but we are taking Mick as an individual Star here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 12:07 by stone4ever.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: March 20, 2017 12:00

I've always heard that for most of European people, Apples are and will always be number one when it comes to fruit.
Even in America, lots of people think the same even if they admit that Oranges are a great fruit and good for you.
How do European fruit fans feel about it ? Do you believe there is no discussion at all, Apples are the best forever and Oranges are just behind ?

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: March 20, 2017 12:11

jpasc95
I've always heard that for most of American people, Elvis is and will always be number one when it comes to rock'n'roll.
Even in Europe, lots of people think the same even if they admit that Mick Jagger is a great sex and rock symbol.
How do American Stones fans feel about it ? Do you believe there is no discussion at all, Elvis is the King forever and Mick is just behind ?
Cheers.

I am an European.

I don't understand this urge in so many contexts to rank between absolutely everybody. Instead, to me there are often comparisons that involve more or less incommensurable achievements. Likewise for roles. In my outlook on such subjectmatter it is often the incomparable characteristics that represent the most interesting aspects about some pioneers or great "artists" (I don't like that word artist, but was unable to avoid its use.).

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: March 20, 2017 15:32

when someone passes on they are looked at in a different way,elvis and the beatles can be seen in a timeline and everything they did had a beginning and an end.

in the years since both the beatles and elvis have had the benefit of a huge amount of revisionist history.in the 1970's the beatles were your older brothers and sisters band and elvis was your parents music and nobody gave a crap about any of it.
elvis was an old guy in a strange jumpsuit, paul doing his pop jingles,john with that weirdo wife,george with those crazy hari krishnas and goofy ringo were all seen as a bit of a joke.
if you showed up at someones house with any of that music they would've laughed at you.people listening to the new zeppelin,pink floyd,bowie or even a band like t-rex or the j geils band weren't into stuff from the 50's and 60's.the beatles and elvis were in the "still hanging around" stage.
then in 1977 and 1980 it all changed-with the death of elvis and lennon they moved from mortals to gods in the sky who could do no wrong.

it's impossible to fairly compare a "still hanging around,no more hits,charging too much for their tickets,aged jagger and the stones to the myth of people long gone,it just doesn't work that way.
i hope it gets put off for a long time but when all is said and done i'll bet mick and the rest of the stones will have a legend that is easily as big or bigger than elvis or the beatles,until then let's not worry about it.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 20, 2017 15:56

Witness
jpasc95
I've always heard that for most of American people, Elvis is and will always be number one when it comes to rock'n'roll.
Even in Europe, lots of people think the same even if they admit that Mick Jagger is a great sex and rock symbol.
How do American Stones fans feel about it ? Do you believe there is no discussion at all, Elvis is the King forever and Mick is just behind ?
Cheers.

I am an European.

I don't understand this urge in so many contexts to rank between absolutely everybody. Instead, to me there are often comparisons that involve more or less incommensurable achievements. Likewise for roles. In my outlook on such subjectmatter it is often the incomparable characteristics that represent the most interesting aspects about some pioneers or great "artists" (I don't like that word artist, but was unable to avoid its use.).

There seems to be a modern fixation with having to draw up lists of everything and assign a rank. Maybe music journalists have some crippling Aspergers?

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: March 20, 2017 16:41

Mick was a great frontman in 1969 to 1975 when bands played concert halls and you could see him up there. And when the Stones were on TV quite a bit.
I saw the Stones at a football stadium, I was at least a hundred yards away and whether he was standing on his head or jumping 10 feet in the air I couldn't tell. The Stones haven't really been on TV since that SNL appearance in the late '70s and Mick does very little media.
I will probably get slayed for saying this, but the best frontman today is Springsteen. I'm not a big fan, but he engages the audience with all of his stories and bringing people on stage and his rapport with various musicians in the band.
Also in today's world, a great frontman has to get the public's attention with interviews and TV appearances and on social media. Mick never did that. He has never engaged and kept the public's attention the way Bowie did, or Bono or Prince or any others.
Different kinds of front men is maybe the best way to do it.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 20, 2017 17:29

I don't care about Presley. Never did.

In fact nobody really cared about him from mid' 60s to mid' 70s.
It was the time of Beat/Rock music. The hype only started again after his dead,- and became bigger and bigger over the years. As it often happens these days with all that media.

He was a good singer but apart from that . .
And no songs of his own of course.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: March 20, 2017 19:22

To quote a black friend of mine when we were discussing music some time ago and Elvis came up in our talk, "D, that motherf*cker could sing." Nelson had grown up in the southern U-S-of A and heard Elvis on both country and r&b stations. And, how true his comment about Elvis. Though he sang some really bad stuff during his time, Elvis in his early years and off and on in the later years recorded some great tunes.

Give a listen to Elvis on Money Honey, Blue Moon, Lawdy Miss Clawdy, Santa Claus Is Back In Town, Good Rockin' Tonight (George Harrison learned much from this song), Heartbreak Hotel, Fever, Reconsider Baby, Like A Baby, Crying In The Chapel, Only The Strong Survive, Suspicious Minds, Funny How Time Slips Away, Goodtime Charlie's Got the Blues, The Fool, among a number of others. You have to cherry pick Presley's music/albums for the good stuff. No one ever wants to hear "Do The Clam" in their lifetime, but if you do wanna hear it, we all gotta wonder aboutcha.

So, this is the difference for moi re Elvis and Mick: Who's the better singer? Elvis, plain and simple. I'll give Mick props for being a rock performer and great front man. I'll give Elvis P the props for extending Mister Berry's and others work into the mainstream.

Date: March 20, 2017 19:26

Yes a lot of people cared about him after that Singer Christmas Special (the comeback show of legend) which yielded an intensely great soundtrack album released right before Woodstock and Elvis loomed very large as a legit rock act with a whole host of important recordings late 60's into 70's...
...and of course he started live touring again, and on a big scale, right after that special at Christmas '68; Versions of Guitar Man, Trouble, If I Can Dream and a whole host of his original hits with original band members sitting in a circle. It was historic and acknowledged as such generally and on the charts. His Memphis then country pop periods were great tho not for everybody's tastes. His last singles really rocked. Way Down and Moody Blue. The guy never stopped producing great stuff. A certain generation of rock fans probably saw it as just arcane or way distant or even a joke but that's ok; The Big E was on the job making great records, including a ferocious live one from elvis presley boulevard and memphis or something right soon after that special and he started live again. just incredible concerts and songs and performances and he kept getting better till you know, a long sad decline with personal problems that plague a lot of people that get that far big and that far isolated. There was no band or sidekick to take some of the press or pressure off. There was just Elvis. And that was more than enough. Long live the King.

Date: March 20, 2017 19:36

Elvis recording live; one vocal take in real time. He more than aces it.

"Elvis Presley recorded his version of "Always on My Mind" on March 29, 1972, a few weeks after his February separation from wife Priscilla.[3] The song received immense fame and critical appreciation and is considered one of the standout songs of the '70s for Elvis. The song was released as the B-side of the "Separate Ways" single, which reached Gold status in the U.S for sales of over a million copies. It was listed as a double sided hit reaching number 16 on Billboard magazine's Hot Country Singles chart in November 1972.[4] In the UK "Always on My Mind" was the hit song and "Separate Ways" was the B-side. It was voted the #1 song of Presley's recording career in a poll conducted by ITV in 2013.[5]" (wiki)

[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 20, 2017 19:38

One of his last singles. The boy never stopped rocking. I think there was only Moody Blue and Way Down after this one; then it was over.
[www.youtube.com]

Date: March 20, 2017 19:59

Elvis - in his prime he was untouchable. And he had an incredible voice and pitch.
James Brown, Elvis, Sinatra, I'd add Hendrix; not as a singer, but someone so other wordly and beautiful .

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: March 20, 2017 20:11

virgil
virgil
I always found it quite odd that these two Icons never met.

Also odd: Besides a few dates in Canada in the fifties , Elvis never played outside of the United States.

?

From wikipedia article on Col. Tom Parker:

Presley fans have speculated that the reason Presley only once performed abroad, which would probably have been a highly lucrative proposition, may have been that Parker was worried that he would not have been able to acquire a U.S. passport and might even have been deported upon filing his application. In addition, applying for the citizenship required for a US passport would probably have exposed his carefully concealed foreign birth. Although Parker was a US Army veteran and spouse of an American citizen, one of the basic tenets of U.S. immigration law is that unless an application is made as part of an amnesty program, there is no path to citizenship or even legal residency for those who entered the country illegally.[51] As Parker had not availed himself of the 1940 Alien Registration Act, and there was no amnesty program available to him afterwards, he was not eligible for US citizenship through any means.

Throughout his entire career, Presley performed in only three venues outside the United States—all of them in Canada: Toronto, Ottawa and Vancouver, during brief tours there in 1957. However, at the time of these concerts, crossing the US-Canada border did not require a passport. Red Robinson, Vancouver radio icon and MC of the Presley concert in that city, said Parker did not accompany Presley to that show, but instead stayed in Washington. However, it should be noted that it is well-established that Parker did not accompany Presley on every tour and every performance date, even in the US, suggesting this may not have been the only rationale for Presley not performing abroad.

Rumors that he would play overseas for the first time were fueled in 1974 by a million-dollar bid for an Australian tour. Parker was uncharacteristically reluctant, prompting those close to Presley to speculate about the manager's past and the reasons for his apparent unwillingness to apply for a passport. Parker ultimately squelched any notions Presley had of working abroad, although it must also be noted that Presley did not push the issue, either.[52]

Other possible theories for Presley's lack of touring abroad include the following:
- Parker's claims that foreign security was poor, relative to the USA.
- Parker's belief that outside influences (managers, agents etc.) would inform Presley of how unusual his contract with Parker was.
- Parker's claim that there was a lack of venues large enough to accommodate a star of Presley's stature. All of these excuses were given to Presley when he would show an interest in touring abroad and, known to avoid confrontation, Presley would never argue against them.
- Some promoters wanted to charge fans the equivalent of $100 per ticket. Parker did not wish the fans to be ripped off, and this was another reason he turned down overseas offers.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: March 21, 2017 03:39

Mick destroys Elvis.....as a showman, as a musician, and certainly as a songwriter. Elvis is all show and sparkle, that is it. If he resurrected today I wouldn't walk to the end of my block to see him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 16:12 by floodonthepage.

Date: March 21, 2017 04:02

Mick is Knight. And a dashing one indeed. full of valor and big trouble all armed up on his trusty steed. Elvis is the King. He owns the horses and gives the Knights a place to live and wars to fight, foreign lands to protect and conquer. The toppermost of the poppermost Knights have their own round table. The King owns the castle and all the land up to the sky because he's the King. Mick is new money faux chic, Elvis is no money mo money pre and post chic...and eternal. He's a shape shifter and wizards come to him for wisdom. He can arch an eyebrow and create a river. Mick looks exceptionally good in pajamas. It all works out. No need to compete. It's like running a race against the sky. E did the wizards trick first time out; he worked it out right there...it wasn't happening so they had to let him loose; he played that rhythm guitar he sung that song; a couple of brushes and a stand up bass was all there ever was else there that day...it was E pretty much all by himslef with a coupole of good hearted joes trying to help him make a demo. And it changed the entire world right there and then. the radio got it and the world changed and would never change back. the stones are as good as rock and roll gets if you ask me; and i could lead you right to the very song or performance, but Elvis is the King. The King is the King...when Little Richard calls Elvis Presley the King, than Elvis Presley is the King.
and it's okay if people don't know it. because he's a humble king.
keith and bobby dropped a tv off a balcony and laughed like school girls.
elvis @#$%& just shot his because Robert Goulet came on. Elvis is the King. I'll be back with little stories from time to time; Elvis and Goliath will probably be the next one...or Elvis in the Garden of eden; or Elvis and his twin doing the Cain and Abel thing. Elvisis pathtetic; Elvis is fat. Elvis is a pill freak. Elvis is a savior giving strangers Cadillacs and making blind people see with gobs of his Kingly spit...girls thru their bras at Mickey but their panties at Elvis; must i go on and on. E=K it's elementary. Mick kneels to get Knighted. Elvis bursts into the presidents office high as a @#$%& kite and demands a narcotics special federal agent badge; and gets it. Elvis is King.

Oh he was wearing the full on cape with that big super gold batman belt at the time too. The King did not call ahead for an appointment either because he is The King. He just showed up and splained it to the s0 callede leader of the free world; the commander in chief of the greatest and most awesome military the world has ever seen, the ceo the cheif of chiefs the living breathing prez...who was quick to get the camera guy in there so he could get his pic took w The King.

wow King, can i touch it?
[i.dailymail.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 04:25 by hopkins.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 21, 2017 04:30

floodonthepage
How can this thread be kicked up again on the heels of Chuck's passing? Chuck is the King, always will be..

Why would Berry passing have anything to do with Elvis vs Jagger?

Berry is no higher up the ladden now then he was a week ago. I know this is news to many people but when a performer dies it doesn't all of a sudden make them greater.

Date: March 21, 2017 04:30

Never got the whole Sinatra thing.

To me he was just a guy standing against a street lamp in a fedora and a jacket slung over his shoulder singing in the same tone and pace as the average person speaks. Zero excitement, zero anything whatsoever.

Sinatra and Elvis once appeared on a TV special together and they sang each other's songs.

Sinatra sang "Love Me Tender'' and Elvis did "Witchcraft.''

Elvis absolutely embarrassed Sinatra and exposed him as old and tired. It was so bad I think Elvis even stopped trying, out of respect.

Elvis, as great as he was, and he was the best, probably gets bonus points for dying young. We didn't have to see it get any worse.

Kind of like Kurt Cobain dying young. He's forever immortalized but for the life of me I have no idea why.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1606
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home