Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 14
Re: Australia & New Zealand "14 On Fire" shows postponed
Date: March 19, 2014 07:49

I remember seeing the Stones in Vegas in November '06 and Mick's dad, Joe Jagger, had passed away roughly 8 hours before the show- the old cliché about show must go on well it did...Maybe it was Mick's way of coping with it... I really don't know...

Obviously, given the current situation, Mick is only human and rescheduling (or worst case canceling) a few shows is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Mick needs time to grieve and come to terms with such a tragedy like anyone else who has lost a loved one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 16:14 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:09

its good to be anywhere
I remember seeing the Stones in Vegas in November '06 and Mick's dad, Joe Jagger, had passed away roughly 8 hours before the show- the old cliché about show must go on well it did...Maybe it was Mick's way of coping with it... I really don't know... Obviously, Mick is only human and rescheduling (or worst case canceling) a few shows is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Mick needs time to grieve and come to terms with such a tragedy like anyone else who has lost a loved one.

Yes, but remember in the case of Mick's elderly father, his death - while still perhaps a sad occurrence for Mick - was not unexpected, and may have even come as somewhat of a relief after his illness. Mick had visited his father in the hospital in London the day he died and was enroute to Las Vegas when he got the news his father passed away. It was too late to turn back and cancelling the show at the last minute - while certainly understandable - would have been complicated. The option to do so was likely presented to Mick and while we have no way to know how he felt, but my guess was that for him it was better to be up on the stage performing and be in the company of his bandmates and fans rather than feeling alone in his hotel suite or on a plane back to England. I'm sure we all understand this situation is far more unexpected and tragic for anybody to expect him to be able to rightly perform at this time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 08:33 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:16

Wuudy

The tickets for all the Aussie concerts went so fast, they know that there's a massive demand for them here.

I wouldn't mind betting that they do some extra shows in the Asia-Pacific region so that they can try and claw back some of the costs, and as a thank you to fans - maybe another Singapore, Wellington, Hawaii, some smaller venues in Australia. But we'll have to be patient.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:17

Max'sKansasCity
Do you think that they'd show up if the stadium was only going to be two thirds full?

YES... they put a 14 number on this tour and THEY WILL MAKE IT 14 SHOWS! at least

STONES!!

The 14 does not refer to the number of shows (check out the posters for the European shows!) but to the strange fact that it's the year 2014

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:23

Re: Whatever happenned to "The show must go on"?
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:28

Gazza
I think its an awful, meaningless cliched expression which takes no account of individual circumstances or a person's feelings.eetter

As paying customers, I dont think we have the right to demand that a performer just shuts a personal tragedy out of their life for a few hours for the sake of entertaining us.

If the Stones were to play shows this week, the entire focus of the show gets shifted away from the music to being some kind of bizarre and macabre voyeurism.

+1

No better words said.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:38

CaptainCorella
Max'sKansasCity
Do you think that they'd show up if the stadium was only going to be two thirds full?

YES... they put a 14 number on this tour and THEY WILL MAKE IT 14 SHOWS! at least

STONES!!

The 14 does not refer to the number of shows (check out the posters for the European shows!) but to the strange fact that it's the year 2014

It seemed like a word play on 14 shows being held in and around the Pacific ring of FIRE and the year probably came in to play too, but I am not to argue about it, Im not even sure why you would bother to reply post, my point was, I would bet they will be back to play these aussie shows soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 09:02 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:04

no - it won't happen soon.
The footy season has kicked off so they can't use the Adelaide Oval.
It will start to get freezing at Hanging Rock also...
These guys are old so they won't want to cram in an Aussie Tour then tour Europe...too much for them.

October sounds better....if at all.

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:08

October has double the rain stats all around compared to March in Adelaide.

Date: March 19, 2014 09:18

They have all of April and May+ (before Europe) to play these shows, why does that seem so undoable? We will see

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 09:20 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Macnee2 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:21

Max, I wish I shared your positivity. I guess the upside is that after 6 months when I've forgotten that I even had tickets, any show is going to surprise me in it's own right, based on the high quality of performance we've seen so far on this tour.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:24

So sorry for Mick's personal grief & disappointed fans with tickets for these shows. Stay strong all, this too shall pass with a bigger, even brighter show schedule to come! Time Waits For No One! thumbs up

Date: March 19, 2014 09:25

Macnee2
Max, I wish I shared your positivity. I guess the upside is that after 6 months when I've forgotten that I even had tickets, any show is going to surprise me in it's own right, based on the high quality of performance we've seen so far on this tour.
Right on, they really have been playing great shows, it has been great to see and hear (and hear from the happy fans at the shows) even if from a distance.

Stay optimistic!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 19, 2014 09:50

I really don't think the Rolling Stones matter to Mick Jagger right now; and nor should they. Speculation over rescheduled shows shouldn't be on anyone's radar at this time. I'm sorry for those fans who have forked-out to attend a show(s), but you really don't matter to Mick Jagger right now.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:23

Well I am guessing when they do come back to Oz they will put on extra special shows and I hope MT is still on board.

Posted by: Jos ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:23

Big Al
I really don't think the Rolling Stones matter to Mick Jagger right now; and nor should they. Speculation over rescheduled shows shouldn't be on anyone's radar at this time. I'm sorry for those fans who have forked-out to attend a show(s), but you really don't matter to Mick Jagger right now.

thumbs up Odds are that concerts may not be on Mick's mind for a long time, if ever again. I cant even imagine what he is going through right now, but a life changer at the age of 70 will have a lasting impact. We may have seen the last of the Stones. Unfortunately, but totally understandable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 10:32 by Jos.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:26

Jos
Big Al

thumbs up Odds are that concerts may not be on Mick's mind for a long time, if ever again. I cant even imagine what he is going through right now, but a life changer at the age of 70 will have a lasting impact. We may have seen the last of the Stones. Unfortunately, but totally understandable.

I had that thought too........knock out blow......

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: March 19, 2014 10:30

EddieByword
Jos
Big Al

don't know, we've all had to rally up & return to work no matter what befell us in life...smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 19, 2014 11:26

owlbynite
EddieByword
Jos
Big Al

don't know, we've all had to rally up & return to work no matter what befell us in life...smiling smiley

Yes, but Mick doesn't have to go back to work at all if he doesn't want to. And going back to writing reports or selling cars or making widgets is rather different to going back to being the charismatic front man of a rock and roll band, where mood and personality are such an integral part of "the job".

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: March 19, 2014 12:45

Rolling Stones fans with scalped tickets may miss out on rescheduled shows

ABC
March 19, 2014, 7:08 pm

Rolling Stones fans with scalped tickets to the band's postponed tour have been warned they may not be able to trade them for tickets to the band's rescheduled shows.

The Stones this morning announced the Australia and New Zealand leg of their On Fire tour will be delayed after the sudden death of frontman Mick Jagger's fashion designer girlfriend, L'Wren Scott, in New York at the weekend.

Promoter Frontier Touring says ticketholders should keep their tickets until the rescheduled dates are finalised, when they will either be issued new tickets or given a refund.

Consumer group Choice says under Australian consumer law, ticketholders have an "automatic right to a refund" if an event is cancelled; however, this does not extend to those who did not buy tickets from ticket agencies.

"Consumers must be able to show proof of purchase of tickets in order to be eligible for a refund," Choice spokesman Tom Godfrey said.

"If you bought your tickets through a third party, such as through eBay or a ticket scalper, this may be difficult to get."

Tickets to the band's seventh tour of Australia ranged from $199 to $580 each and sold out within minutes of going on sale last year.

However, some tickets were offered for sale at a considerably higher price by ticket scalpers online and elsewhere.

In December premium tickets to the sold-out Adelaide show were being offered online for more than $3,000 - about six times their initial cost.

As late as this morning, tickets to the Adelaide show, bought for $199, were being offered for sale on an online auction site for up to $100 above their original price. The advertisement says "no returns accepted".

Consumers 'throw rights away' with scalped tickets

Live Performance Australia (LPA) represents concert promoters, venues and primary ticketing companies.

Its director of policy and programs, Suzanne Daley, says consumers are "throwing away their rights" when they buy tickets through scalpers.

"We always warn people against buying from second-hand ticket providers for these reasons," she told ABC News Online.

"The shows are postponed at this stage and only the principal purchasers are entitled to replacement tickets or a refund.

"It's up to the person the ticket was bought from whether it is passed on. There are no guarantees in this case."

Currently each state and territory has its own laws governing ticket scalping.

Ms Daley says the LPA is lobbying governments for uniform ticket scalping laws which can be more thoroughly enforced by authorities.

A spokesman for international ticket re-selling site viagogo, Alex Levenson, says its customers are covered by a guarantee in the event performances are cancelled.

In a statement, the Rolling Stones thanked fans for their support and said they hoped they would understand the reason for the announcement.

The cancelled shows were to have been held in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne, Hanging Rock, Brisbane and Auckland in coming weeks.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 19, 2014 12:51

Green Lady
owlbynite
EddieByword
Jos
Big Al

Yes, but Mick doesn't have to go back to work at all if he doesn't want to. And going back to writing reports or selling cars or making widgets is rather different to going back to being the charismatic front man of a rock and roll band, where mood and personality are such an integral part of "the job".

I sort of agree but also feel that Mick 'has' to work for reasons very different to the rest of us. The way I see it he is an utterly driven professional and the core of his identity appears to be performing. I have always believed and still do that 'the knock out blow' for the Stones will come only with the death or permanent incapacitation of one of the original three. Every other personal tragedy (and there have been many over the years) will be ruthlessly driven back with work, Mick's ultimate drug.

Re: Whatever happenned to "The show must go on"?
Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: March 19, 2014 13:48

Beast
Gazza
I think its an awful, meaningless cliched expression which takes no account of individual circumstances or a person's feelings.eetter

As paying customers, I dont think we have the right to demand that a performer just shuts a personal tragedy out of their life for a few hours for the sake of entertaining us.

If the Stones were to play shows this week, the entire focus of the show gets shifted away from the music to being some kind of bizarre and macabre voyeurism.

+1

No better words said.

Totally agree with this sentiment, exactly what I think.

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 19, 2014 13:59

I kinda think the OZ and NZ gigs will be re scheduled for early next year, i would not be surprised to see the European gigs treat similarly ie next summer. It's way too soon for mick i'd think though i think he will still fulfil his various movie commitments away from the glare of the public eye.

Posted by: Sister Marie ()
Date: March 19, 2014 15:11

geordiestone
I kinda think the OZ and NZ gigs will be re scheduled for early next year, i would not be surprised to see the European gigs treat similarly ie next summer. It's way too soon for mick i'd think though i think he will still fulfil his various movie commitments away from the glare of the public eye.

I don't think so. "Postponed" means in a short time (anyway we know that their crew is not available next year).
If the concerts are postponed for a too long time they would have offered a general refund.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 15:29

EddieByword
Jos
Big Al

I just cant see this being the end of the stones.

They have been through tragedies before and probably will again.

Such is life < no pun intended >

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 19, 2014 15:30

What goes for that old cliche of "the show must go on", I think a few things need to be considered.

The first is that how did the guys acted, thought and behaved like in their twenties or early 30's should not be compared one to one to the way they act, think and behave today, as senior age citizens. People and times change, and even the Rolling Stones do 'grow up'. The status of their band is different, and they are different.

Secondly, the cliche is just a cliche, nothing else, and nothing actually to do with real life. The Stones didn't behave, for example, in 1969 according to some stupid show business principle. Each case is an unique, and the following action is only to be determinated by the demands of the context, that is, what is right or best to do under those very unique cirmustances.

Thirdly, as far as Brian Jones' tragical death goes, teh band was caught in a very hectic moment of making a big scale come back when the news arrived. A new single was just to be released, and a tremendous free concert at Hyde Park to introduce their new guitarist was arranged in a few days time. The timing couldn't have been worse careerwise. The idea of postponing an alraedy pressed single release at that stage would most likely changed a lot of plans - and their record company wouldn't have been too happy about it either. Remember, they weren't so artistically independent at the time. For that single a profilic tv appearance was scheduled to be recorded that following night, and as we know they did it. Also we need to note that Jagger was soon to fly to Australia due his film commitments and they weren't either in command of dictating their TV appearances, when is 'right' for them to do it. How much they have options to choose, under those circumstances, we do not know. My guess is that they felt like needed to do that one for their career. They weren't SO big yet, quite contrary, they were in a rather decisive and insecure moment in their career.

Fourthly, Hyde Park show was a whole different deal, and most probably more in their hands to cancel if needed. The first reaction, as far as I have read, was that they can't do it. As much that has to do with their inner motivation, or lack of it, at least as much it was due to seeing if that was seen appropriate or not. It is England, in the end, right? As a great article from last year - was it MOJO or UNCUT or some magazine like that - reported of those times, the band was very nervous how the people might react. They felt guilty or they were afraid if people would see them as partly guilty ones for Brian's fate. They simply didn't know the reaction. That's why their security by day's criteria - baby stuff in today's criteria - was taken care more seriously than ever before - which looked like even corny if we watch STONES IN THE PARK. Anyways, as it has been claimed in literature, it was finally Charlie Watts who suggested the idea that 'lets' do it for a memory of Brian'. So the nature of the concert was changed rather drastically from the intended one, and is turned out to be, successfully. But it was very far from any idea of 'the show must go on'.

Fiftly, what goes for tragical death of Keith's baby son in 1976, the reaction of band was that of cancelling the night's Paris concert, but it was Keith who insisted them of doing it. That was his decision and we can only guess what was happening in his mind. That was his way to cope with the situation under very extarordinary cirmustances.

So, fvck any 'show must go on' - it is a question of human beings making quick decisions in very different and difficult cirmustances. Like Mick did now.

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 15:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 19, 2014 15:47

Sistermarie, i must correct you on the fact that 'Postponed' can mean any amount of time. I had tickets to see the stones at Edinburgh for August 98 which were postponed until June 99. Anything is possible, it really depends on how Mick feels and rightly so.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 19, 2014 15:48

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 15:48

Don't know if this has been posted but I found this brief article online with quotes of the band about Mick and a possible rescheduling date for the tour:

[www.news.com.au]

MICK Jagger’s band mates have thrown their support behind the Rolling Stones frontman as he grapples with his grief after the sudden death of fashion designer and partner L’Wren Scott.

Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts confirmed they will return to Australia for the 14 On Fire tour which was to have kicked off in Perth last night.

It was postponed after Scott was found dead in her New York apartment with Jagger and the band now heading back to the US to prepare for her funeral.

The tour is being rescheduled for later this year, possibly in October.

“No one saw this coming. Mick’s always been my soul brother and we love him … we’re thick as thieves and we’re all feeling for the man,” Richards said.

Wood said the Stones would return to the concert stage “as soon as we can” but their priority was to support Jagger.

“This is such terrible news and right now the important thing is that we are all pulling together to offer Mick our support and help him through this sad time,” he said.

Drummer Charlie Watts reiterated that Scott’s death had shocked the entire Stones family.

“Needless to say we are all completely shocked but our first thought is to support Mick at this awful time,” he said.

“We intend to come back to Australia and New Zealand as soon as it proves possible.”

The band sought to reassure fans that the shows would be rescheduled, even after many ticketholders outraged Stones fans with their impatient demands for updates on the future of the tour only hours after Scott’s death.

Fans defended the band on Facebook and Twitter, calling for patience and compassion as Jagger struggled to comprehend the sudden loss of his partner of more than a decade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-20 00:58 by bv.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 19, 2014 16:03

Thanks big4, it is heart-warming to read those comments by Mick's band mates.

- Doxa

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 14

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1705
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home