Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
"As Tears Go By" in TRUE STEREO
Posted by: dingq ()
Date: March 16, 2014 18:26

Just for the record, might anyone be interested, here is a link to a true stereo version of "As Tears Go By" (the violins part that is).

The song starts with Mick & Keith centered, at 0:56 the strings arrive at the right , at 1:28 FFRR sound is in, with different strings joining in at the left. True stereo violins.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Enjoy!

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-12 12:02 by dingq.

Re: "As Tears Go By" in TRUE STEREO
Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: March 16, 2014 19:17

Very beautiful - and interesting ! -
Can someone tell me more about "DES stereo by Eckhard -
Eckhard Stereo Spectral Edit" - ?
Is this done for utube ? -
or did it have an official release - ?
Info´s more than welcome !

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 16, 2014 19:26

This isn't true stereo, DES is Digitally Extracted Stereo i.e. computer trickery.
Nice though.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: March 16, 2014 19:55

I guess this man had access to the original studio tapes of the violins part, so that's why I think this is true stereo. Why I think so? Well, the rest of the song is mono, only the violins are stereo. With digital extracting software one would have changed the entire song into stereo.
The other thing is: one can separate the violins sound from a mono recording, but one can't separate it the way this recording sounds: some violins at the right channel, other violins at the left channel, that's not possible.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-21 13:45 by dingq.

Date: March 16, 2014 20:22

He doesn't have access to the original studio tapes. More likely he's got Cool Edit Pro or similar. This is not true stereo.

Date: March 16, 2014 20:25

he has access to studio tapes, this is true stereo, and he did it on a computer

Date: March 16, 2014 20:36

Whatever.

Date: March 16, 2014 20:36

I have asked "Monotostereoking" on Youtube about it, I will inform you as soon as I get an answer.

Alas, I got no answer. Even worse: the video is taken off of his channel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-21 13:47 by dingq.

Date: March 16, 2014 20:41

meanwhile you may like this one as well...video: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-24 21:17 by dingq.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: March 18, 2014 06:40

sounds like true stereo to me

Posted by: LiveAtHidepark ()
Date: March 18, 2014 08:27

Same for me. Seems a real stereo mix - And nothing can separate instruments from a mono recording.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: March 18, 2014 11:28

I can stereo or remaster anything thru LogicPro but I kinda prefer some of the mono recordings. I just love the song. Would have been nice if someone had tuned Keith's 12 string properly though smoking smiley

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 22:14

It would be nice to hear The Last Time and Have You Seen Your Mother in stereo using this technology!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 19, 2014 00:10

I've got some old Westwood One radio show cd's that have "true stereo" tracks that weren't even on the ABKCO remasters. I can't remember if this was one of them. I do know they sound like true stereo and not simulated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-19 00:11 by shadooby.

Date: March 19, 2014 01:29

Isn't this available on the first German cd issue of Hot Rock Vol. 1 along with other true stereo versions of songs like Satisfaction?

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:38

It's being blocked on you tube in usa

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: March 19, 2014 01:40

[email protected]
Isn't this available on the first German cd issue of Hot Rock Vol. 1 along with other true stereo versions of songs like Satisfaction?

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Very well could be that these are what Westwood One got their's from...

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 19, 2014 05:05

I have the German HotRocks. Has stereo versions of Play With Fire, Satisfaction, Mothers Little Helper and Get Off Of My Cloud.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 19, 2014 08:08

GOO
It's being blocked on you tube in usa

Not in my neck of the woods (Boston). I was able to click on both links in this thread. Perhaps it could be browser issues for you? Did you see a message that it was specifically blocked "in your country"?

Posted by: Hurristone ()
Date: March 22, 2014 22:19

DGA35
It would be nice to hear The Last Time [...] in stereo [...]

Well, this is a start...

Mono SAMPLE: [soundcloud.com]
Stereo SAMPLE: [soundcloud.com]

Date: March 22, 2014 23:06

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Date: March 23, 2014 18:30

The story I heard years ago about the first German Hot Rocks cd's was that the wrong masters were sent to Germany from the UK and had the true stereo versions of the four songs. Anyone else hear this or am I just blowing smoke out of my rear. (Rude comments encouraged and expected)

Scotty

Date: March 24, 2014 16:51

Hurristone: the link to SOUNDCLOUD.COM is a link to the mono song, with tambourine added... the tambourine is not original, these kind of "stereo" mixes are nice, and show how it could have sounded if the Stones had published the song in stereo, but still... they are fake, alas...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-24 16:53 by dingq.

Date: March 24, 2014 17:16

if it isn't here...

[www.lukpac.org]

search somewhere else, still, a very interesting report

Posted by: Hurristone ()
Date: March 25, 2014 01:50

dingq
[...] the mono song, with tambourine added... [...]

Nothing is added. Separated it is, indeed. I'm surprised you're not even puzzled about how I did it.

Date: March 26, 2014 21:40

assumming it was added, I was not puzzled... now I really am!!!
(I think it is done by filtering out the specific tambourine tones, for it sounds quite artificial - but of course I may be totally wrong)

Date: March 26, 2014 21:41

OzheavyThrobber: you canNOT, maybe you think so, but you truly CANNOT!!!

come on man, give me a break, for decades people are begging record publishers for publishing stereo tapes of the Rolling Stones, and then you claim you can do that from mono recordings?

well IF you can, proove that, and make this mono one stereo for us: "Sad Day" by The Rolling Stones

I Am Waiting...

March 2021: I must admit, editing this comment a long time later on: it indeed is
possible to extract souds of mono recordings to create a stereo effect. My apologies!
Here is a guy who made a stereo version of "Sad Day". Not the finest superb quality, but it gives a quite nice impression of how it would have sounded in true stereo:
sad day

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-03-21 13:55 by dingq.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 27, 2014 20:49

dingq

come on man, give me a break, for decades people are begging record publishers for publishing stereo tapes of the Rolling Stones, and then you claim you can do that from mono recordings?

well IF you can, proove that, and make this mono one stereo for us: "Sad Day" by The Rolling Stones

I Am Waiting...

I'm pretty sure he's talking about some "fake stereo" - taking a mono recording and emphasising certain frequencies on the right channel and certain other frequencies on the left - it obviously sounds "broader", but in fact it is wide mono and not real stereo with true instrument separation. Modern technology may allow more sophisticated "fake stereo" mixes than the ones created in the 60's, but true stereo is still a different thing.

Date: March 27, 2014 22:25

"Alimente", you got it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-27 22:26 by dingq.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 28, 2014 02:59

alimente
dingq

I Am Waiting...

I'm pretty sure he's talking about some "fake stereo" - taking a mono recording and emphasising certain frequencies on the right channel and certain other frequencies on the left - it obviously sounds "broader", but in fact it is wide mono and not real stereo with true instrument separation. Modern technology may allow more sophisticated "fake stereo" mixes than the ones created in the 60's, but true stereo is still a different thing.

Here's a good example of fake stereo.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home