Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones - Syracuse 1981
Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 17, 2014 05:20

stonehearted
RockinJive
stonehearted
People who say they "sucked" during that tour don't realize that this was post-punk Stones a la Some Girls--Jagger's voice was deliberately flat/monotone and the band "sloppy" sounding. They were seasoned enough musicians by then that they could have played it clean and "professionally" by that point, but they (at least Jagger and by his insistence) were trying to sound fresh, young and edgy.

Nice try....but no. Never met a musician that sucked on purpose, and they sure did at Rich Stadium were i saw them.

That wasn't the terminology I was using, which is why I put the term sucked in quotes--I was referring to posters who didn't understand how the Stones were approaching music at that time. This was post-punk, so in Jagger's mind it was important to compete with the likes of the Sex Pistols and Ramones--which is why they were playing it deliberately sloppy. It was no longer trendy to have the stellar virtuoso lead guitar lines of Mick Taylor, which is why Ron Wood fit in so well for that deliberately sloppy approach a la Whip Comes Down and Shattered.

Can't understand why some here don't like the Hal Ashby movie. I love that flick and the music sounds great. Those who think they were sounding off in 78 and especially 81 seem to like earlier tours and the polished professionalism of the 89-90 shows, so I think that makes my point. I wonder what those posters think of how punk bands sounded and played between 1977 and 1982.

When I am listening to music I don't sit there and analyze why it sounds like it does, I just listen to see if it sounds good or not. The Stones in 1981 didn't sound good and I don't care why that is.

The Hal Ashby movie was awful. I consider a live song good if its as good or better then the recorder version. In the Hal Ashley movie, its been a while but I can't think of a song in there besides Black limo that wasn't just a weak version of the recorder song.

If you think any songs on there were played better then the album versions let me know what they are.

By the way what was the worst Stones concert you were ever at?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 17, 2014 06:14

I don't look at it the way you do nor do I have to. I just know what I like. I love the Hal Ashby movie and I enjoy the performances. You know, it's like tom-ay-to, to-mah-to.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 17, 2014 12:50

stanlove
buffalo7478
Saw them in Syracuse and Buffalo in 81. They were loose, sloppy even at times, but great fun. In 1978 they seemed to be trying almost too hard to be tough, punk..relevant. In 81 they seemed more of a 'party' band....all about fun.

Got to see them do Tops in Buffalo, which was a highlight. Though looking back, maybe a rare serious song in the set.

Sound at both shows was great, via 1978 which sucked in Buffalo.

I know at least 30 people that saw them in Buffalo that year ( I saw them there also ) and everyone to a person said the show sucked. It was awful. Worst concert I was ever at. Maybe it had to do with sound system but after seeing movie LSTNT I highly doubt it. They sucked and you can see it by looking at the crowd at many 1981 shows. No energy in the crowd. 1989 they destroyed when I saw them and the crowd was on fire also.

Yes, I saw them 82 in Cologne two times. I can confirm that the sound was lousy. But the good and very good soundboards (both Pontiacs, Sun Devil, Hampton, Napoli, Leeds) show that the band was great on this tour.

Date: March 17, 2014 13:13

stanlove
stonehearted
RockinJive
stonehearted
People who say they "sucked" during that tour don't realize that this was post-punk Stones a la Some Girls--Jagger's voice was deliberately flat/monotone and the band "sloppy" sounding. They were seasoned enough musicians by then that they could have played it clean and "professionally" by that point, but they (at least Jagger and by his insistence) were trying to sound fresh, young and edgy.

Nice try....but no. Never met a musician that sucked on purpose, and they sure did at Rich Stadium were i saw them.

That wasn't the terminology I was using, which is why I put the term sucked in quotes--I was referring to posters who didn't understand how the Stones were approaching music at that time. This was post-punk, so in Jagger's mind it was important to compete with the likes of the Sex Pistols and Ramones--which is why they were playing it deliberately sloppy. It was no longer trendy to have the stellar virtuoso lead guitar lines of Mick Taylor, which is why Ron Wood fit in so well for that deliberately sloppy approach a la Whip Comes Down and Shattered.

Can't understand why some here don't like the Hal Ashby movie. I love that flick and the music sounds great. Those who think they were sounding off in 78 and especially 81 seem to like earlier tours and the polished professionalism of the 89-90 shows, so I think that makes my point. I wonder what those posters think of how punk bands sounded and played between 1977 and 1982.

When I am listening to music I don't sit there and analyze why it sounds like it does, I just listen to see if it sounds good or not. The Stones in 1981 didn't sound good and I don't care why that is.

The Hal Ashby movie was awful. I consider a live song good if its as good or better then the recorder version. In the Hal Ashley movie, its been a while but I can't think of a song in there besides Black limo that wasn't just a weak version of the recorder song.

If you think any songs on there were played better then the album versions let me know what they are.

Quite a few, I'd say:

When The Whip Comes Down (only a bonus track, though)
Shattered
Just My Imagination
Waiting On A Friend
Let Me Go
Time Is On My Side
Going To A Go Go
Let It Bleed
Beast Of Burden

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 17, 2014 15:35

stanlove
stonehearted
RockinJive
stonehearted

I don't know what people see in this movie. The performance was ridiculous at best. People talk about hating Vegas? The show girls ws the most Vegas thing they ever did during HTW and that was 81. Can you imagine what people would say if they did that now and used a cherry picker. Thank God the 89' tour came around. The Stones were back!

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: March 17, 2014 15:37

I have to say it again. 81 was a joke. I can't even look at still pics from the tour without cringing.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: March 17, 2014 17:20

Great! thanks for posting! I think it was next night that Mick wore the Syracuse T-shirt, as documented in the Kamen book. But this is fun. The Stones in the "Loud House" back when the configurattion for concerts was sort of in between a stadium and arena show. They brought the horsepower for the stadium, but it was only about, what 35K capacity, indoors for concerts back in '81? Loud! Nice! Thanks!

I was at this show - does anyone know where I could find a picture of Mick is that Syracuse shirt?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 17, 2014 17:36

i was in syracuse and i loved the stones in the carrier dome in 1981.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-17 17:37 by TheGreek.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 17, 2014 17:48

P. Kamin

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: March 17, 2014 18:06

Was at those shows. I believe Molly Hatchet (!!!) opened

Date: March 17, 2014 18:09

RockinJive
I have to say it again. 81 was a joke. I can't even look at still pics from the tour without cringing.

Well...then don't look! Easy

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 17, 2014 22:44

michaelsavage
RockinJive

Well...then don't look! Easy

Its like a car wreck or Lady Gaga. Hard to look away.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 03:07

Yeah it brings back memories alright and I know I loved this band at the time of this tour and years before. Quess I got old though because to be honest it all looks and sounds kind of silly to me now and I no longer really remember what the big deal was? I can't be bothered to listen to any of the old bootlegs of live shows I have collected over the years and in fact seldom listen to the Stones at all any more. Sorry if this offends you but it's true and I don't feel bad in the least about it anymore.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 04:49

RobertJohnson
stanlove
buffalo7478
Saw them in Syracuse and Buffalo in 81. They were loose, sloppy even at times, but great fun. In 1978 they seemed to be trying almost too hard to be tough, punk..relevant. In 81 they seemed more of a 'party' band....all about fun.

Got to see them do Tops in Buffalo, which was a highlight. Though looking back, maybe a rare serious song in the set.

Sound at both shows was great, via 1978 which sucked in Buffalo.

I know at least 30 people that saw them in Buffalo that year ( I saw them there also ) and everyone to a person said the show sucked. It was awful. Worst concert I was ever at. Maybe it had to do with sound system but after seeing movie LSTNT I highly doubt it. They sucked and you can see it by looking at the crowd at many 1981 shows. No energy in the crowd. 1989 they destroyed when I saw them and the crowd was on fire also.

Yes, I saw them 82 in Cologne two times. I can confirm that the sound was lousy. But the good and very good soundboards (both Pontiacs, Sun Devil, Hampton, Napoli, Leeds) show that the band was great on this tour.

I had a different experience. Sound in Buffalo was horrible in 78,and great from my seats in both Buffalo and Syracuse in 1981. Part of the hazards of bands playing big venues - uneven sound. I saw the Stones in Skydome/Rogers Centre several times and alternately had either great or shitty sound. Even moved around sections to finally get to a place that wasn't either flat or full of echoes. But from my seats in 1981, they sounded great and I preferred it greatly to 1989...the start of Vegas to me. Diverse music by the group, diverse opinions and loves and hates on this board.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 18, 2014 20:34

I was at both philly shows and Hartford , Hartford was great, philly shows we're huge

Date: March 18, 2014 21:09

Syracuse shows were very very great. (Other than opening band)

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 18, 2014 21:25

That was kind of the golden age of the big air inflated domes. I was only 7 during that tour, so I was blissfully unaware at the time that they played about five miles from where I grew up, at the UNI Dome in Cedar Falls, IA. I'd always taken solace in the fact that the story was the sound was terrible in those domes. Groups like the Who and the Grateful Dead came during that time(was built in 1976); today you couldn't get major groups within four hours of that area of the country. But, I saw on here a while back that alot of fans actually thought that was a good show, so it depresses me, ha ha!

Looking on Wikipedia, I see that the Carrier Dome is about the last of the breed still kicking. Most others have been destroyed or had the roof converted, UNI Dome got flattened back in the 90s and converted, Pontiac is gone now, too.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 18, 2014 21:38

RockinJive

Just listen to the tapes and you'll have a great time... smoking smiley

For 81 Tour lovers. First 15 minutes Syracuse. Video.
Date: November 2, 2014 23:06

That´s it.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Re: For 81 Tour lovers. First 15 minutes Syracuse. Video.
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 2, 2014 23:21

Fantastic, thanks!

TT (1981 tour lover)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-02 23:21 by TooTough.

Posted by: glimmerkkp ()
Date: November 2, 2014 23:23

Thanks for sharing thumbs up

------------------------------

[glimmerkkp.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: November 2, 2014 23:46

First Stones show with college friends, thanks for the memories!!

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 3, 2014 00:20

Very cool. Thanks for the post. I was there the next night - it was a great show, with surprisingly good sound the dome. Such a contrast to 1978.

In 78 they kind of blew threw a shorter set, with a kind of rougher attitude...then in 1981 they come out playing some old hits, playful stage and stage presence....more of a party band. I loved both tours.

This was a nice trip down memory lane.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: November 3, 2014 00:58

Thanks!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1748
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home