Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Stones - Syracuse 1981
Posted by: blessed_poison ()
Date: March 15, 2014 07:07

Not sure if this has been posted before, just found it. Brings back memories.

Enjoy

[youtu.be]

Re: Stones - Syracuse 1981
Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 08:10

Great! thanks for posting! I think it was next night that Mick wore the Syracuse T-shirt, as documented in the Kamen book. But this is fun. The Stones in the "Loud House" back when the configurattion for concerts was sort of in between a stadium and arena show. They brought the horsepower for the stadium, but it was only about, what 35K capacity, indoors for concerts back in '81? Loud! Nice! Thanks!

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 15, 2014 08:10

great quality

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: March 15, 2014 09:35

Never seen this before. Many many thanks! smileys with beer

------------------------------

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: March 15, 2014 10:16

blessed_poison
Not sure if this has been posted before, just found it. Brings back memories.

Enjoy

[youtu.be]

So dynamic. Much better than what you will get today. I like the frantic (punkish) tempo and presentation

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 15, 2014 11:11

Nice outfit, Mick !

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 15, 2014 11:18

It's great when even security guys are into the show (6:35).

Posted by: veronus ()
Date: March 15, 2014 12:24

Great!!! never seen this. the good old days

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 15:41

Just fantastic. With that buildup, it gives a great impression of what it must have been like to be there. Any IORRians at this show ?

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:31

Great footage

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:35

I was there for both shows with a contingent of Philly area friends. They really were great shows. Molly Hatchet was the opener. The sound was fantastic if you were within the first third of the floor from the stage, but anything further out was subject to the horrible cavernous stadium echo.

It was a real party weekend during the Thanksgiving break. Driving back to Philly after the second show we encountered a blinding snowstorm and all had to crash in a cheap motel along the interstate.

Nest stop for us after that were the Landover, MD shows and the two Hampton shows. It was great time to be an East Coast Stones fan and I was able to see 14 shows in all on that tour.

HBK

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:38

Great! This footage has surfaced on some 81 compilation DVD credited as Syracuse 28t. This vid is a visual upgrade to what I've seen before.

www.rsundercover.eu

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:52

HouseBoyKnows
I was there for both shows with a contingent of Philly area friends. They really were great shows. Molly Hatchet was the opener. The sound was fantastic if you were within the first third of the floor from the stage, but anything further out was subject to the horrible cavernous stadium echo.

It was a real party weekend during the Thanksgiving break. Driving back to Philly after the second show we encountered a blinding snowstorm and all had to crash in a cheap motel along the interstate.

Nest stop for us after that were the Landover, MD shows and the two Hampton shows. It was great time to be an East Coast Stones fan and I was able to see 14 shows in all on that tour.

HBK

Wow - I'm impressed! It must be great for you to see this again. Were you at the opening 2 nights in Philly too ? I've heard that they were a bit wobbly the 1st few shows on that tour before settling down.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: March 15, 2014 16:55

Excellent! The band was so much better then. I saw both shows.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 15, 2014 17:11

I was there. My 2nd ever show (after Phili) - 8th row too!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 15, 2014 20:26

I was at the show. It was awful. Worst than the Buffalo show and that was pretty bad. Embarrassing.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 15, 2014 21:07

More Hot Rocks
I was at the show. It was awful. Worst than the Buffalo show and that was pretty bad. Embarrassing.

I know people that went to this show and said it was awful. I was at the Buffalo show and it was really awful.

When I see people talk about how great these shows were I just assume they are such big Stones fans that they can't even be honest when they sucked. I worked with one of those. I don't get it. If it sucks then it sucks..

This video shows them sucking. Its like with LSTNT they tried to find the worst way to play a song and then went for it for a joke or something. If I heard a normal bar band play it that badly I would be annoyed.

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: March 15, 2014 21:22

The Friday after Thanksgiving..I drove to this show from Randolph Ma. No tix and 4 college friends. Wound up getting 9th row seats- $40 each plus a few hand rolled cigarettes that clinched the deal.The kid who had the tix said he won them and didn't like the Stones. I have a stub from one of the guys who passed away in 2008.My first Stones show- $15 face value. Caught hell for missing work but it was worth it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 16, 2014 01:34

stanlove
More Hot Rocks

I know people that went to this show and said it was awful. I was at the Buffalo show and it was really awful.

When I see people talk about how great these shows were I just assume they are such big Stones fans that they can't even be honest when they sucked. I worked with one of those. I don't get it. If it sucks then it sucks..

This video shows them sucking. Its like with LSTNT they tried to find the worst way to play a song and then went for it for a joke or something. If I heard a normal bar band play it that badly I would be annoyed.

Love your post. Thanks for telling it like it was. People that say how great these shows were, They were wasted or were never there to begin with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-16 01:36 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: March 16, 2014 08:04

I wasn't there but I still like how they perform and sound on this clip. I listened it with headphones also. Keith's guitar is LOUD. They were creative and hungry and played new songs and new arrangements of songs. They didn't try to play Under My Thumb like it was played in Altamont. If everybody says they sucked I think they sucked but I still like this tour.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: March 16, 2014 10:48

Thanks for posting the YT link.

HMN

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 16, 2014 10:55

People who say they "sucked" during that tour don't realize that this was post-punk Stones a la Some Girls--Jagger's voice was deliberately flat/monotone and the band "sloppy" sounding. They were seasoned enough musicians by then that they could have played it clean and "professionally" by that point, but they (at least Jagger and by his insistence) were trying to sound fresh, young and edgy.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 16, 2014 11:06

My favorite tour with 1975,i will post all 1981 shows to hot stuff section.all the versions that i have,but not the wolfgangs vaults stuff,as they´re considered as official

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: March 16, 2014 11:16

The real On Fire-Tour ... Thanks for posting. Didn't know it.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: March 16, 2014 14:51

stonehearted
People who say they "sucked" during that tour don't realize that this was post-punk Stones a la Some Girls--Jagger's voice was deliberately flat/monotone and the band "sloppy" sounding. They were seasoned enough musicians by then that they could have played it clean and "professionally" by that point, but they (at least Jagger and by his insistence) were trying to sound fresh, young and edgy.

Haha..that is a funny excuse!
I guess they are deliberately trying to sound like shit today because they are 70+ years old?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: March 16, 2014 15:19

stonehearted

Nice try....but no. Never met a musician that sucked on purpose, and they sure did at Rich Stadium were i saw them.

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: March 16, 2014 16:03

Saw them in Syracuse and Buffalo in 81. They were loose, sloppy even at times, but great fun. In 1978 they seemed to be trying almost too hard to be tough, punk..relevant. In 81 they seemed more of a 'party' band....all about fun.

Got to see them do Tops in Buffalo, which was a highlight. Though looking back, maybe a rare serious song in the set.

Sound at both shows was great, via 1978 which sucked in Buffalo.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: March 16, 2014 21:25

buffalo7478
Saw them in Syracuse and Buffalo in 81. They were loose, sloppy even at times, but great fun. In 1978 they seemed to be trying almost too hard to be tough, punk..relevant. In 81 they seemed more of a 'party' band....all about fun.

Got to see them do Tops in Buffalo, which was a highlight. Though looking back, maybe a rare serious song in the set.

Sound at both shows was great, via 1978 which sucked in Buffalo.

I know at least 30 people that saw them in Buffalo that year ( I saw them there also ) and everyone to a person said the show sucked. It was awful. Worst concert I was ever at. Maybe it had to do with sound system but after seeing movie LSTNT I highly doubt it. They sucked and you can see it by looking at the crowd at many 1981 shows. No energy in the crowd. 1989 they destroyed when I saw them and the crowd was on fire also.

Date: March 17, 2014 01:10

Eleanor Rigby
stonehearted

Haha..that is a funny excuse!
I guess they are deliberately trying to sound like shit today because they are 70+ years old?

I thought they sounded--and played--great when I saw them last June.

Date: March 17, 2014 01:17

RockinJive
stonehearted

Nice try....but no. Never met a musician that sucked on purpose, and they sure did at Rich Stadium were i saw them.

That wasn't the terminology I was using, which is why I put the term sucked in quotes--I was referring to posters who didn't understand how the Stones were approaching music at that time. This was post-punk, so in Jagger's mind it was important to compete with the likes of the Sex Pistols and Ramones--which is why they were playing it deliberately sloppy. It was no longer trendy to have the stellar virtuoso lead guitar lines of Mick Taylor, which is why Ron Wood fit in so well for that deliberately sloppy approach a la Whip Comes Down and Shattered.

Can't understand why some here don't like the Hal Ashby movie. I love that flick and the music sounds great. Those who think they were sounding off in 78 and especially 81 seem to like earlier tours and the polished professionalism of the 89-90 shows, so I think that makes my point. I wonder what those posters think of how punk bands sounded and played between 1977 and 1982.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home