Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - VERY rare NY Dolls footage
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: March 15, 2014 04:33

Spring '75 - the Dolls set off on their last run of shows before imploding in Florida - this must have been on the way down the coast- Columbia, South Carolina- I'd say the last footage of Thunders and Nolan in the band. Amazing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 04:39 by hbwriter.

Re: OT - VERY rare NY Dolls footage
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: March 15, 2014 06:23

Saw this yesterday on Facebook. Isn't it great? In fact I think I'll watch it again. The new Johnny Thunders doc., Looking for Johnny, is purported to have unseen Dolls footage so I'm guessing it comes from this new clip. Love the close-up on Arthur on bass ( it's actually Arthur on bass not Peter Jordan subbing!): he kind of takes a breath and shakes his hair every ten seconds or so-adorable.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: March 15, 2014 06:29

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing! smileys with beer

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 09:47

Thanks so much HB. This is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to try and rip it and get a copy to David Jo. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have this, and he didn't cooperate with the Danny Garcia movie. Arthur is indeed there, which suggests an earlier time frame than the trip to Florida. Arthur didn't make that one at all. They did do some warmup gigs before and between the Little Hippodrome stand.

Edit: Just sent a link. My daughter's staying with them in New York this weekend.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 10:42 by TeddyB1018.

Date: March 15, 2014 10:44

andrewm
Saw this yesterday on Facebook. Isn't it great? In fact I think I'll watch it again. The new Johnny Thunders doc., Looking for Johnny, is purported to have unseen Dolls footage so I'm guessing it comes from this new clip. Love the close-up on Arthur on bass (it's actually Arthur on bass not Peter Jordan subbing!): he kind of takes a breath and shakes his hair every ten seconds or so-adorable.

Andrew, that breathing Arthur did was the whole key to his style, if you want to call it that. He would always sort of take a breath and then catch up. It's interesting that the reunion sounded more Dolls-esque on the couple of gigs he did before giving way to Sami Yaffa, and he was doing that breathing thing.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: March 15, 2014 14:06

You can sure see the Stones influence on them in these clips. They could have gone on as a Stones cover band if all else failed.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 15, 2014 14:41

Sorry to see that the Glen Matlock/Sylvain-Sylvain show scheduled for tomorrow night in Detroit has been cancelled. Would have been a fun way to spend a Sunday night, and only $15, too.

Date: March 15, 2014 16:43

TeddyB1018
Thanks so much HB. This is absolutely fantastic. I'm going to try and rip it and get a copy to David Jo. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have this, and he didn't cooperate with the Danny Garcia movie. Arthur is indeed there, which suggests an earlier time frame than the trip to Florida. Arthur didn't make that one at all. They did do some warmup gigs before and between the Little Hippodrome stand.

Edit: Just sent a link. My daughter's staying with them in New York this weekend.

fantastic- i think this is after hippodrome, as that was the debut of the red leather - i found someone who was there - it took place at a small club called the copper door on rosewood drive - i heard he didn't take part in the garcia movie - was he just not comfortable with the approach?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 15, 2014 17:14

I bought a Dolls DVD with lots of stuff from B. Gruen and others years ago.Could this be part of it or is it newly found?

Date: March 15, 2014 17:23

this is new- Gruen did not shoot this- there is a local guy that did on 16mm - that's key- also, Gruen rarely shot color - so this is really treasure

Date: March 15, 2014 17:26

i was just put in touch with someone who was there - and followed the Dolls down to Florida- this is in fact part of that final road trip. This gig was booked en route, just a pick up essentially to make some gas money - they would be in Florida one or two days later.

Date: March 15, 2014 17:29

come cool Dolls chronology here - [www.fromthearchives.com]

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 15, 2014 18:37

brings back memories. I saw them 74 or 75 in a club on the south shore of LI, Suffolk County, maybe OBI maybe not, I was a Stony Brook student not an LI guy. Great show just like that. A small room with a stage elevated a foot or so. Great stuff.

Date: March 15, 2014 20:07

TeddyB1018
andrewm
Saw this yesterday on Facebook. Isn't it great? In fact I think I'll watch it again. The new Johnny Thunders doc., Looking for Johnny, is purported to have unseen Dolls footage so I'm guessing it comes from this new clip. Love the close-up on Arthur on bass (it's actually Arthur on bass not Peter Jordan subbing!): he kind of takes a breath and shakes his hair every ten seconds or so-adorable.

Andrew, that breathing Arthur did was the whole key to his style, if you want to call it that. He would always sort of take a breath and then catch up. It's interesting that the reunion sounded more Dolls-esque on the couple of gigs he did before giving way to Sami Yaffa, and he was doing that breathing thing.

Yeah, Teddy, that's what I figured watching different Dolls footage. It just seems so singularly Arthur.

Man, this footage really is great. So many cool little details-JT playing through the Fender, Syl using the white Les Paul w/ trem. which he gave to Malcolm. The band seems really into it, which surprises me a little bit, given how near the end this would have been.

Date: March 15, 2014 20:46

andrewm - totally agree - and given the amount of junk thunders/nolan were doing then too, it all seems amazingly together. I heard from a very famous rock star this morning who FREAKED over this and ripped it from youtube for his own collection - he has sent me three emails about it, in total disbelief - this is simply an amazing find.

Date: March 15, 2014 20:58

Really? That's cool. Don't suppose you can drop any hints as to who that was? I'm just curious as to who would be that big a Dolls fan.

Perhaps a member of another N.Y. band who followed in the Dolls' footsteps but became much, much bigger?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-15 21:11 by andrewm.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: March 15, 2014 21:04

Thank you HBwriter, really cool.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: WorriedAboutYou ()
Date: March 15, 2014 21:10

Sounds terrible, you can see and hear why even Kiss objected to being compared with the NY Dolls. Just awful.

Date: March 15, 2014 21:11

andrewm
Really? That's cool. Don't suppose you can drop any hints as to who that was? I'm just curious as to who would be that big a Dolls fan.

well i can name a few when it comes to the dolls - it's amazing how long their shadow is in terms of influence - but this guy, while it would be wrong to reveal, is a dolls/bowie FREAK - a collector of every bit of info/material on them

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 15, 2014 21:20

hbwriter
andrewm

well i can name a few when it comes to the dolls - it's amazing how long their shadow is in terms of influence - but this guy, while it would be wrong to reveal, is a dolls/bowie FREAK - a collector of every bit of info/material on them
Axl Rose lol

Date: March 15, 2014 21:56

Axl is definitely not that cool. Now, Duff I could see….

Date: March 15, 2014 22:10

andrewm

Perhaps a member of another N.Y. band who followed in the Dolls' footsteps but became much, much bigger?

Doubtful, but my friend Mick Jones will have his tech guy rip it to DVD, you can bet. Obviously he's a big Dolls fan.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 15, 2014 22:14

andrewm
Axl is definitely not that cool. Now, Duff I could see….
Thought about Duff, but he seems more specifically Johnny Thunders or Bowie. Also, I was joking because Axl insulted Bowie from stage before while Bowie was at the show so I don't expect him to keep up to date on all of Bowie's videos lol. I've got no clue who HB could be talking about.

Date: March 15, 2014 22:44

Yeah, I figured you were kidding, didn't know about the Bowie insult, not surprised, though.

Teddy, I was standing behind Mick Jones (dressed impeccably in a pinstriped suit) in the beer line-up at one of the Mott reunion shows in London in '09 and wanted so much to just say, "hey Mick, thanks for the great music". Then someone approached him and started glad-handing pretty loudly and he looked, understandably, kinda irritated. So, I thought the best thing I could do was leave him in peace. My buddy was sitting right beside him during the show, though, said he was very into it. Sorry for the digression, back to the Dolls….

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: March 15, 2014 23:06

this is great.
and moves like jaggersmiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: March 15, 2014 23:38

love the dolls...cant wait to see the thunders documentary....red patent leather

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 16, 2014 00:27

WorriedAboutYou
Sounds terrible, you can see and hear why even Kiss objected to being compared with the NY Dolls. Just awful.

The Dolls were messy and brilliant. Kiss is musical dogfood. thumbs down

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: March 16, 2014 01:21

Great find Chris,thanks for sharing...smiling smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: March 16, 2014 01:22

andrewm
Yeah, I figured you were kidding, didn't know about the Bowie insult, not surprised, though.

Teddy, I was standing behind Mick Jones (dressed impeccably in a pinstriped suit) in the beer line-up at one of the Mott reunion shows in London in '09 and wanted so much to just say, "hey Mick, thanks for the great music". Then someone approached him and started glad-handing pretty loudly and he looked, understandably, kinda irritated. So, I thought the best thing I could do was leave him in peace. My buddy was sitting right beside him during the show, though, said he was very into it. Sorry for the digression, back to the Dolls….

If so, then I was sitting with him. Mick and I went to five of the six Mott shows together. They were so lovely to him as well. To most of them he was still "Little Mick", who used to follow them. Not to Ian of course, who we went back to the Royal Gardens with and hung out. Those shows were brilliant.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 16, 2014 01:35

Rollin' Stoner
love the dolls...cant wait to see the thunders documentary....red patent leather

From Wiki.........
During their last weeks together Malcolm McLaren helped with management. He got the band red leather outfits to wear on stage and a communist flag as backdrop.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home