Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Opening songs
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 15, 2014 19:29

RollingFreak
They opened with Its Only Rock And Roll when I saw them in 06. I guess it makes sense in message, but it was also kind of weird because it doesn't have this incredibly memorable riff or really start the show off with a bang. The show just kind of... starts. Which is cool in itself, but I was scratching my head not expecting that one when I saw them.

I have to say that is a bizarre choice if you ask me. I don't know why this song is a live staple as it was never actually that big a hit in the 1st place! |It scraped No 10 here in the UK and not even that in the US. It's no show opener. I don't think it was played at all in 81/82.

I love the UMT intro of 81/82. As for Not Fade Away in 94/95 I really liked the way they played it. When you listen to the original it isn't an obvious Show-opener but it worked surprisingly well.

Throughout the Licks Tour it was Street Fighting Man for the Indoor shows and BS for the outdoor ones and, IMHO both worked well. I saw 2 indoors and 3 outdoors on that tour in USA/Germany & Scotland.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 16, 2014 04:50

I loved Under My Thumb in 1981. I also think Mother's Little helper would be agreat opener.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 16, 2014 11:33

Under my thumb and Not fade away my favorites,BUT i want them to find something new opening songs..recycling the old ones is a bit boring.

I wanna be your man worked well,they shoud try it again,it doesn´t need to be a warhorse.

I´ve been thinking about Dancing with Mrd it might actually work

Date: March 16, 2014 11:48

I always have had a dream they would open with We Love You. ..

Posted by: marko ()
Date: March 16, 2014 11:55

agreed,i think it would work,but i think they don´t even remember We love you..

Date: March 16, 2014 12:42

I prefer when they open with a lesser known tune. So "Not Fade Away" and "Under my Thumb" and "Let it Rock" were so good. made for more of a build - musically. And that showed patience and coolness.
On the other hand the opener should suit the event. there are definitely shows that call for JJF or SMU right out of the gates. The huge memorable classic riff, and known chorus. Plus an opener should be short. that is why IMO "Sympathy" or "Rambler" are bad choices. These are hot sweaty jams that need to be later on, that are hi-lights of the whole show; climaxes. Some of the best songs make lousy openers.
Just personally I didn't think HTW in 75 was a good choice. This was when they were younger; Ronnie's first tour, and they were faster. So when they hit the stage they were rearing to go; and HTW always comes off as too slow. Much of the magic in HTW is just that perfect tempo, but you can hear Jagger is in 'get-the-crowd-moving-and-clapping-mode' and the song is holding him back.

But like Dandy, I have dreamed about "We Love You" as opener. I have done this in a band with the riffs on guitar. They translate well to guitar.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 16, 2014 20:37

1969 Jumpin' Jack Flash, Carol. That's killer.

1970 JJF and then Roll Over Beethoven. That's hilarious.

1971 (mostly) JJF,Live With Me.

1972 Brown Sugar, Bitch. For most of the shows.

1973 Brown Sugar, Bitch. Third show of the tour it changed to Brown Sugar, Gimme Shelter.

1975 Honky Tonk Women, All Down The Line

1976 HTW, If You Can't Rock Me-Get Off My Cloud

1978 Let It Rock, All Down The Line

1981-82 Under My Thumb, When The Whip Comes Down

1989-90 Start Me Up, Bitch
Part of the way through the spring 1990 tour they dropped Bitch so it became Start Me Up, Sad Sad Sad

1994-95 Not Fade Away, Tumbling Dice
With exception to one show, which was Honky Tonk Women, Tumbling Dice (Brixton Academy)

1997 Satisfaction, IORR

1998 Satisfaction, Let's Spend The Night Together

1999 JJF, Live With Me
JJF, Bitch
JJF, You Got Me Rocking

2002-03 it varied with
Street Fighting Man, IORR
Brown Sugar, IORR
JJF, IORR
Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking
JJF, You Got Me Rocking
Brown Sugar, Start Me Up

2005 Start Me Up, IORR

2006 JJF, You Got Me Rocking
JJF, IORR - for most shows
JJF, LSTNT

There were some exceptions in 2006 but it was usually JJF

2007 Start Me Up, You Got Me Rocking
Start Me Up, LSTNT
Start Me Up, IORR

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-16 22:15 by GasLightStreet.

Date: March 16, 2014 21:32

They opened with SFTD in Australia, with MR on the B-stage in 2003?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 16, 2014 21:58

DandelionPowderman
I always have had a dream they would open with We Love You. ..

thumbs up

Opening or closing doesn't matter to me

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 16, 2014 22:04

DandelionPowderman
They opened with SFTD in Australia, with MR on the B-stage in 2003?

No, they opened with Street Fighting man x 3, Start me up x 3 & JJF x 1 at the Australian arena shows and the Enmore Theatre in Sydney was opened with Midnight Rambler.....

Most but not all the Licks arena shows started with SFM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-16 22:05 by EddieByword.

Posted by: gagi ()
Date: March 16, 2014 22:07

One Hit To The Body - great song for opening...

--------------------------------------

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: March 16, 2014 22:22

How about after keith's set mick comes back with On With The Show from satanic majesties? ;-)

Date: March 16, 2014 22:39

geordiestone
How about after keith's set mick comes back with On With The Show from satanic majesties? ;-)

If that happens I'll eat my pants :-)

Date: March 16, 2014 22:55

I'll eat them too. But could you imagine? Opening song Sing This Together!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 16, 2014 22:57

....I'll eat the crutch out of a rag-doll if it happens .....

ROCKMAN

Date: March 16, 2014 23:00

Haha, we'll keep an eye on Perth on wednesday just incase ;-)

Date: March 16, 2014 23:13

geordiestone

Hmmmm. Personally, I'd prefer Citadel:-)

Is 2000 Light Years really the onlySatanic song they've ever played live? Anyone ?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 16, 2014 23:53

grzegorz67
geordiestone

Hmmmm. Personally, I'd prefer Citadel:-)

Is 2000 Light Years really the onlySatanic song they've ever played live? Anyone ?
She's A Rainbow too.

Its criminal that that album is never played live. I understand why, it just annoys me. I love the entire album, minus Gomper and the 8 minute Sing This All Together, which are both just terrible. The rest of it is excellent though. Citadel, The Lantern, 2000 Man, On With The Show. Even Wyman's In Another Land is great! I'll never understand why people hate the album.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: March 17, 2014 01:09

Not just Start Me Up as the first song but as they did it in their comeback tour of 1989/1990 especially with Continental Drift as the intro to that plus the fireworks just before Keith's famous chords... That combination after WW3 absolutely did it for me; such a thrill and some sort of a revenge to all who thought it was over.
And yeah, Under My Thumb in 81/82 sounded very fresh!

Date: March 17, 2014 02:05

Dreamer
Not just Start Me Up as the first song but as they did it in their comeback tour of 1989/1990 especially with Continental Drift as the intro to that plus the fireworks just before Keith's famous chords... That combination after WW3 absolutely did it for me; such a thrill and some sort of a revenge to all who thought it was over.
And yeah, Under My Thumb in 81/82 sounded very fresh!

I think it's also worth pointing out that SMU was not yet a War Horse then. My 1st tour and agree about the
whole Continental Drift/ Fireworks combo. It worked well.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: March 17, 2014 02:06

gagi
One Hit To The Body - great song for opening...

--------------------------------------

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up .......great intro, great gig intro

Date: March 17, 2014 15:31

Since i mentioned satanic majesties tunes i can't get them out of my head. It is a mostly wonderful album. In my opinion there has only been one truly weak Stones album and that's Dirty Work.

Posted by: spain73 ()
Date: March 17, 2014 15:40

Nothing compares to "Start me up" as an opener song.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: March 17, 2014 15:51

Gomper.......opener, AND encore.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: March 17, 2014 17:58

My very first Stones show was in '75 when they were opening with HTW. A horrible opener IMHO. Honky Tonk is for later in the set, when everyone is good and loose and all the drunks can sing along on the chorus. It's waaay too saggy and slow for an opener. Not enough punch. Even back in '75 with all the excitement of seeing my favorite group for the first time I remember thinking 'Eh, what a dumb song to open with.'

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: March 18, 2014 18:56

BROWN SUGAR on the 72 tour was THE BEST

Posted by: fahthree ()
Date: March 18, 2014 19:31

I don't like JJF as the opener because I want it to be longer. It's the one song that I never get tired of.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1790
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home