Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415
Current Page: 15 of 15
Re: Shanghai China March 12 Rolling Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 15, 2014 21:22

That Midnight Rambler was sick! Haven't seen once since last year and its amazing how each performance truly is better than the last. And with every viewing, it makes it harder to imagine they aren't using Taylor more. I mean, they KNOW it makes them exponentially better.

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 16, 2014 16:14

DoomandGloom
Ronnie gets lost in the sauce, the better the band gets the more he needs to step up his parts and get some lead guitar tone, play something a tad spontaneous. True that on MR ending, the redundant throwaway solo in DF, the same loop part over and over for JJF and the slide butchery of ADTL.. If Taylor were dead he'd be spinning. The single worst guitar part played in this band is Wood's nonsense on Happy. I've seen Ronnie do some great stuff in my life and wish he'd lift the band from time to time. I've written before, much of the Taylorites craze is due to Wood being unspectacular half of the time.

+1. Unspectacular is putting it mildly. Half of this board talks about Ronnie being in the form of his life and I usually wonder if they're listening to different shows than I am. Take the Shanghai version of Street Fighting Man, where Wood's sole contribution is to repeatedly butcher the same extraordinarily simple pentatonic lick that runs throughout the song (and which sounded mindblowing in Taylor's hands on the Ya-Ya's recording). His slide solos on All Down The Line, and Sway when they've played it, are atrocious, tuneless garbage, completely out of time and played without a shred of basic slide technique. And these are rare cases of him being audible - most of the time with the Stones, I genuinely have no idea what Wood is playing, if anything.

It's bizarre, because in different circumstances - with the Faces, on the Atlantic City solo show, the Jimmy Reed shows - he's really good, basically a different player. Something about the Stones has a bad effect on him. But any fans who think that Wood is either playing well at the moment or is an effective substitute for Mick Taylor are hearing what they want to hear - nothing more, nothing less. Whether you don't like Taylor's tone, you think he overplays, you think the guitar interplay with Keith isn't there - none of that changes the fact that Taylor is a polished guitarist with a fine command of his instrument, and Ronnie Wood is not.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 16, 2014 21:41

RollingFreak
That Midnight Rambler was sick! Haven't seen once since last year and its amazing how each performance truly is better than the last. And with every viewing, it makes it harder to imagine they aren't using Taylor more. I mean, they KNOW it makes them exponentially better.

Just heard it, great!! Keeps getting better and better.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: erad ()
Date: March 17, 2014 06:53

Man, that version of Rambler is mental. Taylor goes nuts and some of Charlie's drumming I have never heard on Rambler before. All in all an excellent version which is amping me for the Auckland show!

Posted by: User ()
Date: March 17, 2014 07:20

MT also fell during MR.

Some naughty folks caught this on instagram. Poor Mick.
[instagram.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-18 19:35 by User.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 17, 2014 14:51

User

MT also fell during MR.

Some naughty folks caught this on instagram. Poor Mick.
[instagram.com]

Pure nonsense. Look at this video and see what happens from 3:55 on:

Date: March 17, 2014 15:35

kleerie, you must have really good eyes, because I can't see Taylor at all from 3:55 grinning smiley

So what if he fell, it's only rock'n'roll! smileys with beer

This is a good slip, right in the beginning of a show - how it's supposed to be done! grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 17, 2014 15:38

Stoneburst
DoomandGloom
Ronnie gets lost in the sauce, the better the band gets the more he needs to step up his parts and get some lead guitar tone, play something a tad spontaneous. True that on MR ending, the redundant throwaway solo in DF, the same loop part over and over for JJF and the slide butchery of ADTL.. If Taylor were dead he'd be spinning. The single worst guitar part played in this band is Wood's nonsense on Happy. I've seen Ronnie do some great stuff in my life and wish he'd lift the band from time to time. I've written before, much of the Taylorites craze is due to Wood being unspectacular half of the time.

+1. Unspectacular is putting it mildly. Half of this board talks about Ronnie being in the form of his life and I usually wonder if they're listening to different shows than I am. Take the Shanghai version of Street Fighting Man, where Wood's sole contribution is to repeatedly butcher the same extraordinarily simple pentatonic lick that runs throughout the song (and which sounded mindblowing in Taylor's hands on the Ya-Ya's recording). His slide solos on All Down The Line, and Sway when they've played it, are atrocious, tuneless garbage, completely out of time and played without a shred of basic slide technique. And these are rare cases of him being audible - most of the time with the Stones, I genuinely have no idea what Wood is playing, if anything.

It's bizarre, because in different circumstances - with the Faces, on the Atlantic City solo show, the Jimmy Reed shows - he's really good, basically a different player. Something about the Stones has a bad effect on him. But any fans who think that Wood is either playing well at the moment or is an effective substitute for Mick Taylor are hearing what they want to hear - nothing more, nothing less. Whether you don't like Taylor's tone, you think he overplays, you think the guitar interplay with Keith isn't there - none of that changes the fact that Taylor is a polished guitarist with a fine command of his instrument, and Ronnie Wood is not.
Yup, I've seen Ronnie play real well in The Faces and at The Jimmy Reed tribute. I've long thought his troubles are in his head trying to compete with Taylor's work. Keith for all his frailty plays from the heart and his solos other than SFD perhaps contain a coherent story telling approach. Listening to Wood's "Dead Flowers" solo from this show is a perfect example. He finds a safe place to riff and seems afraid to move away and tell a story in his solo, instead it ends as an incoherent statement. For the Stones apparently it's just another show, a space filled before Mick goes back to singing, for us it's another waste of a precious moment. Admittedly Taylor has been inconsistent since his "return", suddenly he's rounding out notes and sounding frighteningly close to his brave, vintage self. Will this be ignored while Ronnie continues to play licks of nothingness? In the meantime be thankful for Bobby Keys....

Date: March 17, 2014 16:06

Ronnie plays a lot more than solos on this tour. The way he ties songs together, with motifs and longer chord patterns - to make sure the drive is still there - when Keith takes breaks or unpredictably takes on a lick - is more impressive to me than lead guitar playing.

Ronnie, like Keith, has always been an instinctive player - especially when it comes to soloing. Very much like Steve Cropper, whose playing I've been listening a lot to lately. Few notes, much feel and an on-going drive that suits the song, more than stepping up as a unique voice.

Then again, we always have his "guitar hero-days" we can listen to. GS from LA Friday (Archive release), for instance. Or YCAGWYW from Hold On Tight (MSG 1975) smiling smiley

From the 42:00-mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-17 16:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 17, 2014 16:14

DandelionPowderman
kleerie, you must have really good eyes, because I can't see Taylor at all from 3:55 grinning smiley

Are you kidding again? He's walking to one of the amps and is fumbling with it. Then he loses his equilibrium during a millisecond and is slipping away because of the slippery floor and because he wants to continue his great playing at the same time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-17 16:23 by kleermaker.

Date: March 17, 2014 16:17

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Are you kidding?? He's walking to one of the amps and is fumbling with it. Have a second look at the video I posted. If you can't see it nonetheless, then you need better glasses!

That's (EDIT: up to 4:02) 3:54. After that (when he fell), he's not in the picture at all. Check for yourself grinning smiley

What he plays is cool, though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-17 16:22 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: March 17, 2014 16:24

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

Are you kidding?? He's walking to one of the amps and is fumbling with it. Have a second look at the video I posted. If you can't see it nonetheless, then you need better glasses!

That's (EDIT: up to 4:02) 3:54. After that (when he fell), he's not in the picture at all. Check for yourself grinning smiley

What he plays is cool, though.

You are not supposed to reply before I have finished my post properly. smiling smiley

Date: March 17, 2014 16:32

grinning smiley

Date: March 17, 2014 21:54

DoomandGloom
Admittedly Taylor has been inconsistent since his "return", suddenly he's rounding out notes and sounding frighteningly close to his brave, vintage self. Will this be ignored while Ronnie continues to play licks of nothingness? In the meantime be thankful for Bobby Keys....

I've seen two of Taylor's solo gigs over the past couple of years, both times in London (he was playing with Max Middleton, Jeff Allen et al). I really enjoyed both shows - and I'm as committed a Taylorite as you'll come across - but I got the distinct impression both times that he didn't spend very much time practicing guitar, if any. (To be fair, he's barely needed to practice throughout the last two decades of his career, since the setlist for his solo shows changes very, very little.) But I think things are different now. Taylor increasingly sounds, and plays, like someone who usually has a guitar and a small amplifier with him, and actually works on his stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-17 21:56 by Stoneburst.

Date: March 17, 2014 22:59

Stoneburst
DoomandGloom
Admittedly Taylor has been inconsistent since his "return", suddenly he's rounding out notes and sounding frighteningly close to his brave, vintage self. Will this be ignored while Ronnie continues to play licks of nothingness? In the meantime be thankful for Bobby Keys....

I've seen two of Taylor's solo gigs over the past couple of years, both times in London (he was playing with Max Middleton, Jeff Allen et al). I really enjoyed both shows - and I'm as committed a Taylorite as you'll come across - but I got the distinct impression both times that he didn't spend very much time practicing guitar, if any. (To be fair, he's barely needed to practice throughout the last two decades of his career, since the setlist for his solo shows changes very, very little.) But I think things are different now. Taylor increasingly sounds, and plays, like someone who usually has a guitar and a small amplifier with him, and actually works on his stuff.

Exactly my impression. He clearly enjoys playing with the Stones, however little it is.

Date: March 17, 2014 23:01

Stoneburst
DoomandGloom

Obviously he's working through some issues as far as his "new normal". Being an arena guitarist is a different role than a night club guy, I've been there and the size is overwhelming when unaccustomed to it. MR has more of The Stones' Taylor and I expect him to get more confident as he acclimates. My feeling on this subject is not simply "More Taylor" but "Less Wood". If Ron were kicking butt, there'd be little to say but it's not true,never been true. His big moment on Love You Live, YCAGWUW is unlistenable by todays standards yet Taylor's best live moments are masterpieces. I love this band and their songs but in my lifetime I've watched Ronnie struggle and stumble and me making excuses to myself, being charmed by a second rate player, grand rockstar and terrific guy. Now "sober" Ron's giving it his best shot and to me he's only slightly better now. He should be "eating up" these simple songs, instead he ruins the end of "Rambler", I'm sorry, music always has been put up or shut up, I accept he's got a free ride but there is a Rolling Stone that can actually play phrases and shake a note properly..

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-17 23:16 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 17, 2014 23:13

DoomandGloom
Stoneburst
DoomandGloom

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-17 23:15 by DoomandGloom.

Date: March 17, 2014 23:51

How on earth is any of the guitarists ruining MR toward the ending??

Date: March 18, 2014 00:15

DoomandGloom
My feeling on this subject is not simply "More Taylor" but "Less Wood". If Ron were kicking butt, there'd be little to say but it's not true,never been true. His big moment on Love You Live, YCAGWUW is unlistenable by todays standards yet Taylor's best live moments are masterpieces. I love this band and their songs but in my lifetime I've watched Ronnie struggle and stumble and me making excuses to myself, being charmed by a second rate player, grand rockstar and terrific guy. Now "sober" Ron's giving it his best shot and to me he's only slightly better now. He should be "eating up" these simple songs, instead he ruins the end of "Rambler", I'm sorry, music always has been put up or shut up, I accept he's got a free ride but there is a Rolling Stone that can actually play phrases and shake a note properly..

This x100

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: March 18, 2014 21:44

Mick Taylor reached an unprecedented level of confidence. He played an astounding part on Midnight Rambler. With the aura of fright that the song deserves.

Hope to have some more, when the Stones are back.

Sending kind thoughts to Mick Jagger
Mark, fan since 1964

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 14:16 by MarkSchneider.

Rain, taxi sharks, closed subways BUT what a show!
Posted by: coldturkey ()
Date: March 27, 2014 11:07

I have been living and working in China for the last eleven years and for one reason and another haven't got to see the boys since leaving England in 2003 - but finally managed to get to Shanghai to see'em.
Fantastic show. I am sure I was affected by the time lapse but I thought the show was great and the lads seemed to be really enjoying themselves. Jagger's from another world; I took some Chinese friends and they were awestruck and couldn't believe these guys were in their 70"s, the energy was quite staggering.
The first time I saw them was in '69 and in all the times I have seen them since I have never, ever, been disappointed or even close to it.
The only downside was afterward. The local authorities failed to supply any extra transport via subway, bus etc;, local subways (if you walked on through the rain) were either shut or the train from the stadium didn't stop, there was poor direction and aid from local police and the taxi drivers were sharks, wanting 300 rmb for a 50 rmb journey. For future reference the taxi's are not allowed to do this, bring a policeman to them or get in and at the end of the journey give the correct fare and go. Took a while to get back to the hotel and I felt sorry for those who had no experience of China or whom had no Chinese help/friends.
But it didn't spoil the show and I was on a high for days afterward - well done guys and thanks.
David (An Englishman in China)

Posted by: coldturkey ()
Date: March 27, 2014 11:12

Hi
I am glad you mentioned this - in the 48 years I have been following the boys that rates as one of the best versions of Midnight Rambler - Taylor was awesome - hope to find an excellent recording of this one day, hopefully visual as well as sound

Date: March 27, 2014 21:39

coldturkey
Hi
I am glad you mentioned this - in the 48 years I have been following the boys that rates as one of the best versions of Midnight Rambler - Taylor was awesome - hope to find an excellent recording of this one day, hopefully visual as well as sound

Until this moment this is the best version available:

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: June 5, 2014 15:35

A bit late, but Get Off My Cloud has shown up

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415
Current Page: 15 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1837
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home