Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15
Re: Shanghai China March 12 Rolling Stones 2014 show live updates
Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 12, 2014 17:42

This was posted on Facebook under the heading"
"The Rolling Stones are on stage in Shanghai now!"

Isn't that the Tumbling Dice backdrop?

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 12, 2014 17:45

Irix
buttons67

why is brown sugar missing from the list.

From the THAT'S Interview with Mick: "Back in 2006, Chinese authorities cut five Stones songs because of suggestive lyrics - 'Brown Sugar,' 'Honky Tonk Woman,' 'Beast of Burden,' 'Let's Spend the Night Together' and 'Rough Justice'."

See, the Chinese know how to get down to business. No wimpy setlist whining for them. They just say "You can't play those songs, we've heard them enough, come up with something else" and boom, the setlist changes. None of this western democracy anything goes bullshit.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 12, 2014 17:55

Ross

This was posted on Facebook under the heading "The Rolling Stones are on stage in Shanghai now!"

Maybe it's a picture from Macau ..... [www.iorr.org] .

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:00

Ridiculous

You rest assured that both "Honky Tonk Women" and "Brown Sugar" would`ve been banned in, say, The Vatican State. Those songs are among the band`s most daring, and always will be.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:05

Wow, what a weird show - seats in the pit, no Brown Sugar or HTW; adding SFM and ADTL. Must have been pretty cool. I suspect it will be back to business as usual in Singapore, but this one will be nice to watch. Did they allow filming?

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:05

Ross
This was posted on Facebook under the heading"
"The Rolling Stones are on stage in Shanghai now!"

Isn't that the Tumbling Dice backdrop?

It is, indeed. But in Shanghai they used a different stage design including upper lips + teeth so the picture may be from Macao?

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:09

So still no hard confirmation on whether they played TD or not? Hopefully it will be confirmed by a soundboard boot of this unique show! Great setlist either way.

Ross

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:15

The lips are deflated/removed after the first couple of songs.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:18

Ross
So still no hard confirmation on whether they played TD or not? Hopefully it will be confirmed by a soundboard boot of this unique show! Great setlist either way.

Ross

a bigger nut was there and said they played it, that's good enough for me.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:31

corriecas
Green Lady
Nice setlist on paper. Let's see if the performance matches it.

Oh, Come On Green Lady.
You are not gonna sulk about a setlist and a performance now are ya............That way you dont get a drink at Pinkpop

Jeroen

Nobody is sulking. That's a nice interesting set list, but so far it is words on a screen. I want to HEAR it.

PS. What makes you think I drink Pink Pop? I don't think that Saturday is available for me, alas!

Posted by: Stoneburst ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:37

It is utterly, utterly bizarre that they were not allowed to play Brown Sugar or Honky Tonk Women but were allowed to play Street Fighting Man, a song about violent street protests

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:38

drbryant
Wow, what a weird show - seats in the pit, no Brown Sugar or HTW; adding SFM and ADTL. Must have been pretty cool. I suspect it will be back to business as usual in Singapore, but this one will be nice to watch. Did they allow filming?

It was in so many respects a dream Stones gig. All the concerns about seats in the pit evaporated as soon as you saw the layout and took note of the fact that security was totally cool with the first 2 to 3 rows being out of their seats and hanging out up on the security barrier. Also, the setlist was somewhat of a departure from previous shows on this tour to date, so that was nice. Another observation, the stage seemed significantly lower in overall height than say in Macau, so even from the rail - there was a perfect view all the way back to Charlie and even behind him.

Met the most delightful Stones fans from Beijing, and also from Kazakhstan. Just the PERFECT Stones show really: the Rolling Stones on total fire offering up the most interesting setlist in a good long while, the pure unadulterated pleasure of meeting a diverse range of fans from not only the host country but also elsewhere, not to mention enjoying the hell out of Shanghai for a week.

Had a blast. Thanks "Ms Travelling Companion", and thanks "Rolling Stones".

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:39

Oh wow, what a fantabulous show - the setlist, the energy, the band interaction, the crowd. Yes, the pit was seated but did anyone ever sit down - NO!! We had row 2 but jumped onto the rail (Keith's side - yay) 15 mins before the show and had a perfect view. This stage was WAY better than in Macau and gotta say the crowd was more hyped up too. Yes, the boys seriously rocked Shanghai. Our young Chinese fan friends we first met in Macau told us after that some touts outside were selling pit tickets just before the show for RMB3,000! That sequence of Dead Flowers, Ruby Tuesday and SFM was to die for. PLEASE let some of their minions read this thread and take note of setlist comments!!

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:41

paulywaul
drbryant

It was in so many respects a dream Stones gig. All the concerns about seats in the pit evaporated as soon as you saw the layout and took note of the fact that security was totally cool with the first 2 to 3 rows being out of their seats and hanging out up on the security barrier. Also, the setlist was somewhat of a departure from previous shows on this tour to date, so that was nice. Another observation, the stage seemed significantly lower in overall height than say in Macau, so even from the rail - there was a perfect view all the way back to Charlie and even behind him.

Met the most delightful Stones fans from Beijing, and aldo from Kazakhstan. Just the PERFECT Stones show really: the Rolling Stones on total fire offering up the most interesting setlistvin a good long while, the pure unadulterated pleasure of meeting a diverse range of fans from not only the host country but also elsewhere, not to mention enjoying the hell out of Shanghai for a week.

Had a blast. Thanks "Ms Travelling Companion", and thanks "Rolling Stones".

Thanks for the review!
Was the house really full?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-12 18:45 by 1962.

Date: March 12, 2014 18:46

Yep, looked pretty full and rocking to me!

Date: March 12, 2014 18:49

Beast
Yep, looked pretty full and rocking to me!

Great, thanks!

Date: March 12, 2014 18:53

And yes, Mr Kazakhstan was delightful. 46 years old and a fan for decades - first show ever attended and in the pit, too. He initially learnt his English from listening to English bands like the Stones & Beatles.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: March 12, 2014 18:54

Video?

Date: March 12, 2014 18:55

Pics?

Or it was not allowed to take pics?

Date: March 12, 2014 19:02

Oh - and Theodora was down there stageside loving her Dad singing Happy

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 12, 2014 19:13

Theodora picked up a pick her father (Keith) threw into the crowd (it landed in the security pit in front of row one). Then she gave it on to some fans, an d as she had more picks in her pocket I think I saw her handing out 3 or 4 more picks. By the way she digged the show a lot. So did we.

They did play Tumbing Dice of course, and the D&G video was mostly on screen performance, changed like expected. I will do a quick report before I hit the bed. Great show!

Bjornulf

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 12, 2014 19:20

Question....

If Macau is part of the People's Republic of China, then why would songs be banned in one place, but not the other?

Posted by: maradona ()
Date: March 12, 2014 19:40

BluzDude
Question....

If Macau is part of the People's Republic of China, then why would songs be banned in one place, but not the other?

Macau is somehow similar to HongKong. They both are more autonomous than other districts in China and more "openminded" or characterized by Europe.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 12, 2014 19:51

drbryant
Video?

Loads will emerge in due course, there was a guy standing right behind me for example who must have near as dammit recorded the entire show in video, I don't think I ever saw him over my shoulder without the camera up.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Date: March 12, 2014 19:55

Macau and Hong Kong are SAR which means Special Administrative Region. You do not need a VISA, and they have a more independent role, even if they are part of China. Shanghai is 100% mainland China and they have Chinese currency etc, while HK and Macau have their own administrations and currencies. Historic reason due to previous control under British (HK) and Portugese (Macau). China drives on the right side of the road while Macau and HK like the British on the left side...

[en.wikipedia.org]

Bjornulf

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: March 12, 2014 19:58

In the middle of the show, in fact during Miss You, Keith's personal assistant Tony Russell walked up to me and asked me if I was from Latvia. He gave me 3 guitar picks and took my "Latvija" scarf to give it to Keith. I had had the scarf at least since 2006, where you can see it on the Biggest Bang DVD (also Shanghai) during Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 12, 2014 20:11

latvianinexile
In the middle of the show, in fact during Miss You, Keith's personal assistant Tony Russell walked up to me and asked me if I was from Latvia. He gave me 3 guitar picks and took my "Latvija" scarf to give it to Keith. I had had the scarf at least since 2006, where you can see it on the Biggest Bang DVD (also Shanghai) during Midnight Rambler.

wow
fantastic story
thumbs up

Date: March 12, 2014 20:20

I have many pics but I am so tired I must sleep. Just a few here before I go...

Bjornulf

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: March 12, 2014 20:27

Sounds like a great show and having 19 songs and a great setlist, makes it feel much better than an 18 song gig.
Bet you all had a great night. smileys with beer

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: March 12, 2014 20:33

Wow can't help but think Asia is getting screwed with the shorter sets and the crazy prices still.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-12 23:26 by Hound Dog.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 15

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1668
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home