Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Any thoughts on Gov't Mule
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 8, 2014 23:37

Tempted to buy some cds by this group ? Any advice ?

Re: OT - Any thoughts on Gov't Mule
Posted by: johnh ()
Date: March 8, 2014 23:46

I've only heard a few boots.. I'm sure they did a gig of Stones covers.. may be wrong! Might be worth a search of a coule of boots to get a feel? Dime-a-dozen?

edit: Gov't Mule stones covers

john

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-08 23:48 by johnh.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 9, 2014 10:40

Great guitar band, best way to experience Warren Haynes' full bag of tricks. They throw a lot of interesting cover versions into their live sets.

Start with the albums they made with the original power trio with Allen Woody on bass (who died in 2000), in particular Dose and Life Before Insanity. Of their live things, Mulennium and Live at Roseland are keepers, as is With a Little Help From Our Friends, though that may be harder to find.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 9, 2014 11:42

Shout! is fantastic. Both music and the concept of two albums with two different versions (guests vs. no guests) of the songs.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: March 9, 2014 13:01

Great band seeing them live in Melb next month with Gregg Allman and his son.

They have covered Wild Horses, Cortez the killer (NY), It Stoned me (Van), War Pigs (Sabbath), Spanish Moon (Little Feat).

Best gov't Mule cds to get are: Deja Voodoo & High & Mighty. Live album The Deep End is also worth seeking out.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: March 9, 2014 16:28

To me they are one of the best bands going today. Buy all their albums. You will not be disappointed. Plus, go and see them. 3 hour show for around $30. Warren started as David Allan Coe's guitarist. I saw him with DAC. He was the high light of that night. Notice he comes out for encores with Deep Purple when they cross paths with each other. I saw GM 4 times in'12. The 1st show was with Dr. John as the opening act. Warren played most of his set then Dr.John came out and played along with GM. Later in the year they did a 3 date tour of my state, Georgia. Never played the same song twice. They played over 50 different songs over those 3 nights. Each show was over 3 hours long. Yes, I am a fan. Btw, he, along with Derek Trucks will be leaving the Allman Brothers after this year. One last comment, each October they do a show playing mainly songs from their favorite bands. They have done a Stones, Who, Pink Floyd show among others. This past October was the Doors. The shows are easily found.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: March 9, 2014 17:36

Haynes is a guitar great.... If you want to experience the best Mule you need to listen to their early albums with Haynes' Allman comrade Allen Woody on bass. They were immense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-09 18:01 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: March 9, 2014 17:41

You can buy shows here:

[www.livedownloads.com]

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 9, 2014 18:54

Great band!

Played a lot on Paul Jones' (Ex Manfred Mann) Rhythm + Blues show on BBC Radio 2......

Which says it all really

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: March 9, 2014 19:11

Any thoughts????? They Are one of the greatest band on the planet! Love their album but when on stage they Are an authentic post war american music enciclopedia. Warren haynes is one of the most talented guitar players on this planet. Long live to gov't mule

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 10, 2014 02:39

Go with the earlier stuff before the bass player died.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: March 10, 2014 03:25

And get a copy of Warren Haynes solo cd called Man in Motion

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: March 10, 2014 03:29

Oh yes they've certainly covered Stones- Mule-o-ween 2010(?) if you find it it's great they did a great batch of Stones. Fine players,all.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: March 10, 2014 06:27

I'd nominate this set or Shout as a good jumping in point.
[www.amazon.co.uk]

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 10, 2014 09:49

I highly recommend this live set

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Expensive but worth every penny...they do a killer cover of Humble Pie's 30 Days in the Hole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1824
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home