Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
'72 Stones Souvenir Shirt
Posted by: bitman ()
Date: March 4, 2014 19:13

I've got a super old shirt that I'm looking to learn more about. I know it's from the early 70s, but the original owner is unfortunately not around anymore.

I'm curious if anyone here saw the Stones in 72 and bought a similar shirt at the gigs. I'm not too sure if they were doing very much merchandising at that time, but they were selling programs at the shows, so maybe they were selling these too. Or maybe these were from the parking lot?

Also, underneath the plane graphic it says "A. Fine" right next to a tiny tongue logo. Any ideas as to who this is? I'm guess he/she designed the shrit.

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-11-06 20:46 by bitman.

Re: '72 Stones Souvenir Shirt
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: March 4, 2014 23:33

Never seen that design before. Looks great!
Unfortunately, I can't say anything about its authenticity.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 5, 2014 00:11

I agree with LieB's posting.

I have 2 from Europe '73 that I know to be genuine - I bought them - so yours would be the first time I've ever seen one older.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 5, 2014 00:45

CaptainCorella
I agree with LieB's posting.

I have 2 from Europe '73 that I know to be genuine - I bought them - so yours would be the first time I've ever seen one older.

This came from the collection of a Stones' associate who had several other really old and unique shirts - I believe he knew a lot of promoters & industry people back in the day.

I don't question its autheticity at all, I'm just curious as to whether or not it was sold by the Stones and any other general information. I figured someone on here would know who A. Fine was.

Would love to see your '73 shirts if you have pictures.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 5, 2014 00:57

I once had a similar shirt only mine was black with silver sparkle graphics. I got it from somebody who saw the Stones at MSG in 1972. However, it wasn't in such good shape and it fell apart in the laundry a long time ago. This design would make a great reissue on the Stones merch website.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 01:46 by TornAndFried.

Date: March 5, 2014 01:07

TornAndFried
I once had a similar shirt only mine was black with the lounge and jet graphics in a silver sparkle. I got it from somebody who saw the Stones at MSG in 1972. However, it wasn't in such good shape and fell apart in the laundry a long time ago. This design would make a great reissue.

Yeah, I've seen this graphic in all sorts of color patterns. Your friend didn't say where they got it did they? Parking lot/inside the show?

Date: March 5, 2014 01:13

This copyright notice of sorts is what makes me think that it was an "official" piece of merch. I know bootleg shirts don't really have those ever.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: March 5, 2014 01:50

bitman
TornAndFried
I once had a similar shirt only mine was black with the lounge and jet graphics in a silver sparkle. I got it from somebody who saw the Stones at MSG in 1972. However, it wasn't in such good shape and fell apart in the laundry a long time ago. This design would make a great reissue.

Yeah, I've seen this graphic in all sorts of color patterns. Your friend didn't say where they got it did they? Parking lot/inside the show?

I don't know if my friend bought the shirt inside the arena or out on the street. It was so long ago when he gave it to me and as I said, the shirt fell apart 30 years ago.

Date: March 5, 2014 03:27

Ah yeah, thanks for the info though.

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: March 5, 2014 04:30

That's a bootleg shirt. The only official 72 tour tee was plain white with a red and black tongue on the front and no writing. I have mine from Knoxville 72 around here somewhere.

Date: March 5, 2014 04:37

Pics?

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: March 5, 2014 05:37

Afraid I can't add anything to the discussion of the shirt's official status, but there's that supposed original version of the tongue and lips logo again.

Date: March 5, 2014 05:44

bitman
This copyright notice of sorts is what makes me think that it was an "official" piece of merch. I know bootleg shirts don't really have those ever.

Run that past me again?

I cannot believe that someone bootlegging an "official" piece of mechandise will say... "Hey, I'd best not mislead anyone, or make any false claims, so I'll drop the copyright notice from my otherwise impeccable copy."

That would be the first thing you'd be sure was right. Surely?

Date: March 5, 2014 05:50

This shirt came directly from a well documented vintage clothing collection. The same collection featured many pieces that were auctioned at Christies a few years back, including one of the very famous "Goat Sweaters" that is at the Rock Hall of Fame.

The legitimacy of the shirt is not what is in question. Just trying to find out more information as to its origins. smiling smiley

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: March 5, 2014 05:56

polythene sam
That's a bootleg shirt. The only official 72 tour tee was plain white with a red and black tongue on the front and no writing. I have mine from Knoxville 72 around here somewhere.
this seems correct. it's a legit shirt from 72 but not official tour merch.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 5, 2014 06:01

from the Charlie Blue Collection ???.....[www.defunkd.com]

[www.ebay.com]

ROCKMAN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 06:04 by Rockman.

Date: March 5, 2014 06:18

Correct. I've seen the ones for crazy prices on ebay too. No one seems to have much info on them though. Hoping that someone here who went to the show bought one and can shine a little light on them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-05 06:21 by bitman.

Date: March 5, 2014 06:28

Rokyfan
polythene sam
this seems correct. it's a legit shirt from 72 but not official tour merch.

Interesting.

Does anyone have, or know the whereabouts of any genuine official tour T-shirts older than my Europe '73 pair?

[s824.photobucket.com]

[s824.photobucket.com]

If "Official" is defined as having been bought from the merchandising stand inside the venue, then these are guaranteed as OFFICIAL.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 5, 2014 06:36

There was a discussion on here awhile back. Apparently there was a fanclub shirt from '66.

It is possible that different promoters printed up different shirts for each gig. There really wan't much merchandising back then. It's hard to imagine and insider who owned a few "inner circle" shirts owning a bootleg. That's why I tend to think this version is official in some capacity.

Crew members from '72 had shirts. I've got a few from '73 including this one.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: March 5, 2014 06:40

Rockman
from the Charlie Blue Collection ???.....[www.defunkd.com]

[www.ebay.com]

That ebay link is to a T-Shirt made in Taiwan? charging $4,000!, fake it til ya make it (and then flog it on ebay imo)

Date: March 5, 2014 07:21

bitman
There was a discussion on here awhile back. Apparently there was a fanclub shirt from '66.

It is possible that different promoters printed up different shirts for each gig. There really wan't much merchandising back then. It's hard to imagine and insider who owned a few "inner circle" shirts owning a bootleg. That's why I tend to think this version is official in some capacity.

I'd love to see the '66 one! And if any have survived.

Merchandising was better organised than you represent. I went to several UK shows, and then on to two in Berne and then the last night in Berlin. By the time we got to Berlin the english guy running Merchandising knew who I was and greeted me! So the merchandising was pretty well 'centrally' organised.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 5, 2014 08:52

...................................... Royal Albert Hall September 1966

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 5, 2014 09:01

That's me on the left (actually she does look very like me at that age, including the hole in her stocking that she's sewn up)--but stonesrule, I think I can say confidently, is not in the picture.

Date: March 5, 2014 09:13

....and goin' by her the watch it's 10.25pm ....... and the joint was rockin... goin' round n round

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 5, 2014 11:00

[www.ebay.com]

I find it strange though that this shirt states 'North-American Tour 1972'. Not only is it a misspelling, but that tour was, at least at the time, not refered to as 'North American'.

Mathijs

Date: March 5, 2014 11:42

Mathijs
[www.ebay.com]

I find it strange though that this shirt states 'North-American Tour 1972'. Not only is it a misspelling, but that tour was, at least at the time, not refered to as 'North American'.

Mathijs

So that merely confirms it as being not only a bootleg T-shirt, but a bad bootleg T-shirt.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: March 5, 2014 16:38

Here's the earlier shirt I was talking about - it was '67 not '66.

1967 Shirt

I'm really hoping to stay away from speculation here...stars between each word in "North American Tour 1972" doesn't really indicate a mispelling. Just a graphic element. smiling smiley

Hopefully someone on here ventured by the merch table or bought one of these outside a gig in '72.

Thanks again for the help!

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 5, 2014 17:01

bitman
Here's the earlier shirt I was talking about - it was '67 not '66.

1967 Shirt

I'm really hoping to stay away from speculation here...stars between each word in "North American Tour 1972" doesn't really indicate a mispelling. Just a graphic element. smiling smiley

Hopefully someone on here ventured by the merch table or bought one of these outside a gig in '72.

Thanks again for the help!

Date: March 5, 2014 17:38

That's wonderful. Do you know its history?

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: March 5, 2014 18:04

bitman
That's wonderful. Do you know its history?

" a circa ’67 fan club t-shirt "

but available as a replica winking smiley

[www.etsy.com]

I bought this one ;

The PN Hit-house -shirt ( The top acts of the British Invasion played here including the Animals, the Yardbirds and Jimi Hendrix on one of his first European appearances. He hit his amplifier with his guitar in anger over a broken string. The audience found it cool and thought it was part of the show. The rest is history.......)

more vintage shirts [garyrocks.wordpress.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2014
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home